PDA

View Full Version : Woke up to flat tire - tire shop repair waiting room musing

darin
11-20-2014, 09:27 AM
Tried to leave home about 4:45 - found the truck sitting cattywampus. Right rear tire was empty. :( i plugged in the compressor and filled it - but shop didnt open till 8. While i waited to see if the tire would hold air i messed around with my new chinese-made LED light bar! I rough-hooked it to the battery and set it in place. Its brighter - at 144w (claimed) than probably 6 or 8 of my high beam headlamps! See attched.

also - Line of cars here for air checks / all say their tpms came on and want this place to check their air. Holy shitballs. I am seeing people - grown up men and women who cannot or will not check their air. They'd rather wait for 15-20 mins for others to do it. Erodes my faith im humanity's future.

Two older men here struck up convos with two younger ladies. As the men spouted their wisdom the women pretended to care. Poor guys needed the affirmation in a big way; like when RSR bumps his own threads to make sure people see them.

darin
11-20-2014, 09:48 AM
I apologize for the cheap shot at RSR. Childish of me.

More about those men...

Poor guys needed the affirmation in a big way. Generates a little fear in me - i do not want to need esteem-boosts as i age. I get it though. They were once young and virile and all that. Now they are not mating-material but they have the urge for intimacy and connection and while those things dont happen because of sex, sex is the expression and evidece of the conditions. The men may also have not learned the didference so cannot even SEE IT if they have those things from other sources.

Or i could be full of shit...it happens :-)

jimnyc
11-20-2014, 03:29 PM
Tried to leave home about 4:45 -

God got you back for leaving the house too early!! Ok, I kid, I kid....

I actually said that to break the ice, I have a headlight question. Is there a way to clean them properly? Mine are 10 years old and actually don't look half bad, but I figure why not shine them if I can, right? I read for months - some say toothpaste, break cleaner, simple wax and all kinds of other ideas. I bought an actual product that was rated highly (can't remember name but can look). It had a double sided sponge with different textures. A wax like product to be put on first, and a water looking product on other side of sponge to clean it off. Hell, the lights look worse than they did before I started!! It left smudges and smears it looks like, and I figured best to leave it alone for now till I find proper way.

Do I bring it to station, or do you know a better way to clean them?

darin
11-20-2014, 03:34 PM
Check out Mothers? Headlight Restore - in fact, I'd head into any auto parts store and ask them for "I need to restore hazy headlights. help!"

:)

Jeff
11-20-2014, 03:46 PM
Check out Mothers? Headlight Restore - in fact, I'd head into any auto parts store and ask them for "I need to restore hazy headlights. help!"

:)

Mothers works great, Great product, I used it for years ( the Aluminum cleaner ) on my big trucks, it would shine the tanks and wheels so well they looked like chrome.

jimnyc
11-20-2014, 03:53 PM
A quick search finds this - http://www.mothers.com/02_products/07250.html

I didn't even look around the site yet. But off the top of my head - do you NEED to put it on and take it off with a machine? I was doing this by hand, don't have that stuff!

jimnyc
11-20-2014, 03:55 PM
Dumb question.... http://www.amazon.com/MOTHERS-7251-NuLens-Headlight-Renewal/dp/B00GZLMEPM/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1416516839&sr=1-1&keywords=mothers+headlight+restoration+kit

Found that on Amazon. That little round thingy fit into my Dewalt drill for putting on and taking off? :)

gabosaurus
11-20-2014, 03:56 PM
How can anyone be too lazy or not know how to check the air in their tires? :tinfoil:

Jeff
11-20-2014, 03:57 PM
Jim I have never used any of it but I see even in Walmart kits that guarantee to clean the lenses back to new and most of them are wipe on and wipe off, but like that Mothers Darin spoke of , I would use the wheel on the spots I could and of course that did a much better job than just ribbing by hand.

jimnyc
11-20-2014, 03:59 PM
How can anyone be too lazy or not know how to check the air in their tires? :tinfoil:

I've had to check the air for people no less than like 50x in the past 10 years at the station by my house - and I don't work there! I'll be talking to friends, and a woman or someone too young to know, would come inside and ask for help. Generally, they tell customers they can't help. If I see a look of fear, that they are REAL low, I offer to help. And I usually regret it.

jimnyc
11-20-2014, 04:00 PM
Jim I have never used any of it but I see even in Walmart kits that guarantee to clean the lenses back to new and most of them are wipe on and wipe off, but like that Mothers Darin spoke of , I would use the wheel on the spots I could and of course that did a much better job than just ribbing by hand.

But I don't have a buffer or anything like that. Will that thing in the amazon link fit into my drill?

jimnyc
11-20-2014, 04:01 PM
I should learn to read - at mid-page on the product ad on Amazon:

Step 1 - Prep: Works with any cordless drill and a dab of PowerPlastic Polish

Jeff
11-20-2014, 04:07 PM
I was going to say I knw they make a disc you can put the pads on for a drill , but I see you found it

jimnyc
11-20-2014, 04:13 PM
Sweet, just bought that Mothers stuff from Amazon. And free expedited shipping too! Will have it tomorrow already. :)

Jeff
11-20-2014, 04:14 PM

I agree Gabs how can some be so lazy, after working in Garages and being on the road for years I have helped many, somewhere just plain lazy ( I would offer to help for a couple of bucks ) others where all dressed up, most of them I didn't mind helping, and others I thought where just to lazy, but now at 52 years old I find some days just to check air pressure is a major job because I hurt so bad, on the vehicle it isn't quite as bad but those days that I hurt real bad there is no getting down on a knee, but checking pressure on the bike is a killer, I actually have to lay down to get under the bags ( it is a pain for the normal 25 year old ) but now for me to do it it is a major job, so some of those folks ( not all ) may not be telling you just how bad it hurts to do something as simple as checking air pressure.

aboutime
11-20-2014, 04:37 PM
I've had to check the air for people no less than like 50x in the past 10 years at the station by my house - and I don't work there! I'll be talking to friends, and a woman or someone too young to know, would come inside and ask for help. Generally, they tell customers they can't help. If I see a look of fear, that they are REAL low, I offer to help. And I usually regret it.

Jim, and from personal experience with some young MALE drivers. No lie...many of them have no idea they need OIL. Only gas.

I remember young sailors who had NO IDEA what a Phillips Screw Driver was.

tailfins
11-20-2014, 06:15 PM

That's why you read the owner's manual to know you need to press the "i" button on the steering wheel FOUR times to display the tire pressure.

Jim, and from personal experience with some young MALE drivers. No lie...many of them have no idea they need OIL. Only gas.

A Phillips Screw Driver is Milk of Magnesia mixed with Vodka. :alcoholic:

LongTermGuy
11-20-2014, 08:26 PM
God got you back for leaving the house too early!! Ok, I kid, I kid....

I actually said that to break the ice, I have a headlight question. Is there a way to clean them properly? Mine are 10 years old and actually don't look half bad, but I figure why not shine them if I can, right? I read for months - some say toothpaste, break cleaner, simple wax and all kinds of other ideas. I bought an actual product that was rated highly (can't remember name but can look). It had a double sided sponge with different textures. A wax like product to be put on first, and a water looking product on other side of sponge to clean it off. Hell, the lights look worse than they did before I started!! It left smudges and smears it looks like, and I figured best to leave it alone for now till I find proper way.

Do I bring it to station, or do you know a better way to clean them?

*Watch...I did mine this way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POjyD01q6Sw#t=94

fj1200
11-20-2014, 09:56 PM
... I have a headlight question. Is there a way to clean them properly?

You should pay attention to your own site. :slap:

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?34765-refinishing-headlights

Jeff
11-20-2014, 10:00 PM

When I was still on the road and some guy had left his blinker going a common saying on the CB would be hey SO&SO you are going to run out of blinker fluid ( just a nice way of saying turn your blinker off ) but do you know how many guys at the truck stops fueling would ask me where ya add blinker fluid and where they can get some :laugh:

tailfins
11-20-2014, 10:12 PM
When I was still on the road and some guy had left his blinker going a common saying on the CB would be hey SO&SO you are going to run out of blinker fluid ( just a nice way of saying turn your blinker off ) but do you know how many guys at the truck stops fueling would ask me where ya add blinker fluid and where they can get some :laugh:

Why didn't you re-label a bottle of power steering fluid and charge $59.95 for it?

red states rule
11-21-2014, 04:25 PM
I apologize for the cheap shot at RSR. Childish of me.

Forget about it Darin. I did not come back to cause problems and I NEVER intended anyone to think my comments about Federal workers applied to members of the US military.

I you did take that way - even a little - I also extend my humble apology and offer you an internet handshake (and a salute for your service)

darin
11-21-2014, 04:31 PM
Forget about it Darin. I did not come back to cause problems and I NEVER intended anyone to think my comments about Federal workers applied to members of the US military.

I you did take that way - even a little - I also extend my humble apology and offer you an internet handshake (and a salute for your service)

Except i never took it that you meant it included members of the military; from day 1 is always been "when you cast a wide net you are talking also about VITAL employees; just be careful" - and you went ape shit. Thats the entire rift right there

jimnyc
11-21-2014, 05:08 PM

That was cool. Regardless of the intimate details, it's always cool when someone extends an apology, an olive branch. I hope you guys can bury the hatchet and move forward. :)

red states rule
11-21-2014, 05:21 PM
That was cool. Regardless of the intimate details, it's always cool when someone extends an apology, an olive branch. I hope you guys can bury the hatchet and move forward. :)

I am sure you have heard this classic movie line before Jim "I will not be the one to break the peace we made here today"