PDA

View Full Version : Voting Rights Act in the South

Perianne
11-21-2014, 12:09 AM
Pat Buchanan writes a good piece about how the Democrats outsmarted themselves in the South.

As Republicans took over legislatures, they not only followed the VRA mandate, they went beyond it.

They created secure House seats for black candidates, which inevitably resulted in heavily white districts, tailor-made for conservative Republicans.

Moderate and liberal Democrats were squeezed out as African-American Democrats colluded with conservative Republicans to carve up Southern states in a way to ensure the results we see today.

http://buchanan.org/blog/new-south-black-conservative-7095

aboutime
11-23-2014, 05:48 PM
And, in all of the Democrat arguments they must perpetuate on the Voting Rights Across the Nation.

NOT ONCE, will Obama, Pelosi, Reid, or anyone else with a 'D' following their name; ever admit YOU NEED A PHOTO ID in order to join the Democrat National Committee. Not to mention needing a PHOTO ID to enter ANY U.S. GOVERNMENT BUILDING.

So..The Democrats, across the board are the very same RACISTS they accuse Republicans of being for demanding PHOTO ID's????

gabosaurus
11-23-2014, 07:48 PM
The myth of Republicans creating opportunities for blacks. How intriguing and humorous. :rolleyes:

aboutime
11-23-2014, 08:15 PM
The myth of Republicans creating opportunities for blacks. How intriguing and humorous. :rolleyes:

Right you are gabby. Much like the myth you bring here, claiming any intelligence.

Bilgerat
11-24-2014, 11:29 AM

http://youtu.be/a9ZpD34Xk3M

jimnyc
11-24-2014, 11:38 AM

Serious question - can you articulate HOW the republicans have hurt blacks in the past say 70 years or so? And what Democrats have done FOR them that has them so better off?

gabosaurus
11-24-2014, 12:39 PM
Serious question - can you articulate HOW the republicans have hurt blacks in the past say 70 years or so? And what Democrats have done FOR them that has them so better off?

Republicans have done very little to appeal to black or Latino voters. GOP legislators traditionally support Big Business and its quest to make the rich wealthier and the non-rich poorer. Big Business responds by funneling money back to those who support their cause.
Many Republicans have staunchly opposed civil rights. They want poor blacks to remain poor and disenfranchised.
Not to mention the high proportion of ignorant Republicans.

http://billmoyers.com/2014/10/24/voter-discrimination/

jimnyc
11-24-2014, 12:47 PM
Republicans have done very little to appeal to black or Latino voters.

Articulate this - what have they done wrong, what have Dems done differently to attract these voters? Besides welfare and the like....

GOP legislators traditionally support Big Business and its quest to make the rich wealthier and the non-rich poorer.

HOW do they make the non rich folks poorer?

Many Republicans have staunchly opposed civil rights.

Again, specifics? WHO was against, and for? Who opposed from the Dem side? I think you're dead wrong on this history, but please prove me wrong.

They want poor blacks to remain poor and disenfranchised.

Is this a guess, rhetoric, crap? Or do you have something other than your opinion to back this up? Perhaps some facts and something a tad more substantial?

Not to mention the high proportion of ignorant Republicans.

And no ignorant Democrats? And none that fought against civil rights act back in the 60's? But seriously, one article and you want to paint with such a large brush? I have an idea - if I post TEN articles with quotes and such, of Dems against the civil rights act, would you then agree that the dems have an disproportionate amount of ignorant politicians on their side?

glockmail
11-24-2014, 04:21 PM
Articulate this - what have they done wrong, what have Dems done differently to attract these voters? Besides welfare and the like....

HOW do they make the non rich folks poorer?

Again, specifics? WHO was against, and for? Who opposed from the Dem side? I think you're dead wrong on this history, but please prove me wrong.

Is this a guess, rhetoric, crap? Or do you have something other than your opinion to back this up? Perhaps some facts and something a tad more substantial?

And no ignorant Democrats? And none that fought against civil rights act back in the 60's? But seriously, one article and you want to paint with such a large brush? I have an idea - if I post TEN articles with quotes and such, of Dems against the civil rights act, would you then agree that the dems have an disproportionate amount of ignorant politicians on their side?

Jim, you're axing a brain-numb liberals to think, and that's not possible. All she can do is type her conclusion into google and looks for an opinion that supports hers.

We've had this discussion many times in the past, and the facts always show that the Democrats have always been on the wrong side of the civil rights issue.

And the gap between the rich and poor gets wider under Democrat administrations, so this corporate bashing that dumb liberals do is also misplaced.

jimnyc
11-24-2014, 04:47 PM
Jim, you're axing a brain-numb liberals to think, and that's not possible. All she can do is type her conclusion into google and looks for an opinion that supports hers.

We've had this discussion many times in the past, and the facts always show that the Democrats have always been on the wrong side of the civil rights issue.

And the gap between the rich and poor gets wider under Democrat administrations, so this corporate bashing that dumb liberals do is also misplaced.

I think some people out there are capable of arguing anything, just going off of a lifetime amount of talking points. This is exactly what "I" think she is doing. I also think she's smarter than your average liberal, but willingly remains in the clouds. IF she were to research things and make sound decisions based on facts, I think things would be different on tons of subjects. But for whatever reason she chooses not to do research, or at least wants us to believe that. This is why all of her posts are so short. She doesn't post point by point bulletins, long well thought out posts, filled with links/citations...

She would lose this one if she truly looked into history, counted votes and who voted for what and also looked at quotes from both sides of the aisle. She is "history blind", and I believe also voluntarily. If she wanted to debate, she would politely do just that, paragraphs of her research, with links, voting history... but instead we get the usual talking points puked onto my screen.

Gabby aside - I still stand by freebies and other handouts accounting for a large portion of votes over the years. Hell, even recently "obama phone" ... "obama gonna get me free gas" ... "Obama gonna pay my mortgage"

And giving out freebies only hurt them in the long run, and made folks dependent, and they made it better by learning how to "beat the system" and actually live off of it for their entire lives. The correct strategy would be to educate, help find jobs, help develop them as individuals & also as a community. I saw very little from the Democrats over the years other than tossing welfare and all kinds of free shit at their problems. That actually hurts more than it helps. And worthy of pointing out, since a black man has taken office in the WH - the freebies have skyrocketed, literally astronomical.

aboutime
11-24-2014, 06:13 PM
Can all of us finally come together here in this thread, and at least mildly agree that Gabby has a mental challenge against something, called Honesty?

5stringJeff
11-24-2014, 06:45 PM
Frankly, I think if the requirements of the VRA are good enough for Southern states, they're good enough for all the other states as well.

aboutime
11-24-2014, 07:01 PM
Frankly, I think if the requirements of the VRA are good enough for Southern states, they're good enough for all the other states as well.

But that would mean a new, and better Educational opportunity that would teach them to READ.:clap:

glockmail
11-24-2014, 07:16 PM
...I also think she's smarter than your average liberal,.... I see no evidence of this.

indago
04-26-2016, 05:52 AM
From The Associated Press 25 April 2016:
------------------------------------------------------------
U.S. District Judge Thomas Schroeder ruled against the U.S. Justice Department, the North Carolina NAACP chapter and named voters. They sued alleging the law was passed to discriminate against poor and minority voters in violation of the Constitution and U.S. Voting Rights Act. ...Gov. Pat McCrory, a Republican seeking re-election this year, focused on the voter ID provision of the law in praising the ruling.

"Common practices like boarding an airplane and purchasing Sudafed require photo ID and thankfully a federal court has ensured our citizens will have the same protection for their basic right to vote," McCrory said in a prepared statement.

article (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_VOTER_ID_LAWSUITS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2016-04-25-21-21-58)

Gunny
04-26-2016, 06:21 AM
From The Associated Press 25 April 2016:
U.S. District Judge Thomas Schroeder ruled against the U.S. Justice Department, the North Carolina NAACP chapter and named voters. They sued alleging the law was passed to discriminate against poor and minority voters in violation of the Constitution and U.S. Voting Rights Act. ...Gov. Pat McCrory, a Republican seeking re-election this year, focused on the voter ID provision of the law in praising the ruling.

"Common practices like boarding an airplane and purchasing Sudafed require photo ID and thankfully a federal court has ensured our citizens will have the same protection for their basic right to vote," McCrory said in a prepared statement.

article (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_VOTER_ID_LAWSUITS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2016-04-25-21-21-58)

I don't get it. You are required to have ID in TX and FL. I never considered the law fair, but it's the law. In TX you can get an ID whether or not you drive. Be white, stopped by a cop, and see what happens. I've always had to have ID to vote as well. When I was a kid, I didn't have a SS card until I was a teen. Now they make you sign up your babies.

So what's the big deal? Why do the rules only apply to taxpayers?