PDA

View Full Version : How to spot fake experts

tailfins
11-23-2014, 02:57 PM
2. Their knowledge - they desperately want to come across as an expert, but in reality, they don't have the know-how or the "chops" and haven't done the hard work to gain true expertise.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/article/20141122151713-17850276-be-careful-who-you-admire-and-trust-they-may-be-a-complete-fake

LongTermGuy
11-23-2014, 03:15 PM
`The element of risk is at the heart of every social transaction when doing the right thing is priceless`

aboutime
11-23-2014, 05:06 PM
Thanks for exposing yourself here tailfins.

tailfins
11-23-2014, 05:14 PM
Thanks for exposing yourself here tailfins.

I see you're still obsessed with guys exposing themselves to you. It's easy to criticize while you're no longer a productive member of society, Mr. 47%. While you may sit there and rant as a "conservative", that doesn't change that you are one of the "takers".

aboutime
11-23-2014, 05:43 PM
I see you're still obsessed with guys exposing themselves to you. It's easy to criticize while you're no longer a productive member of society, Mr. 47%. While you may sit there and rant as a "conservative", that doesn't change that you are one of the "takers".

30 Thousand comedians out of work, and you think you are funny? Most of us can see the obsessed one here. And it ain't me.

gabosaurus
11-23-2014, 07:55 PM
2. Their knowledge - they desperately want to come across as an expert, but in reality, they don't have the know-how or the "chops" and haven't done the hard work to gain true expertise.

Outing yourself on DP. Not a smart thing to do. :p

tailfins
11-23-2014, 08:32 PM
Outing yourself on DP. Not a smart thing to do. :p

I don't need to be protected by a labor union like you do.

aboutime
11-23-2014, 09:14 PM
I don't need to be protected by a labor union like you do.

tailfins. So, you really do enjoy coming here to prove to all of us. How much of an Idiot you really are?
Or, do you have some other lame excuse for the stupid stuff you say?

tailfins
11-23-2014, 09:47 PM
tailfins. So, you really do enjoy coming here to prove to all of us. How much of an Idiot you really are?
Or, do you have some other lame excuse for the stupid stuff you say?

Entertainment mostly. Seeing you is like watching a drunk, wondering what they are going to trip over next. At least here, you can't hurt yourself.

revelarts
11-24-2014, 07:31 AM
Some this is good advice for just clear thinking.
2 stand out

3. Real experts demonstrate intellectual honesty.
They can put their own expertise in perspective – in terms of its importance in the world, and the quality of the evidence supporting their points of view. Crucially, real experts aren’t afraid of evidence that contradicts their beliefs or their work. They recognize that the role of experts is to engage in debate, not to suppress it. Real experts can be skeptical about not only others’ ideas, but also about their own. Conversely, fake experts’ openness to contradictory ideas resembles that of my 2nd grader, who’s been known to cover his ears and sing “lalalalala!” for minutes on end while his older brother tries to tell him something he doesn’t want to hear.

4. Real experts show intellectual curiosity.
They keep themselves learning. Fake experts are like intellectual slumlords: They keep renting the same worn-out ideas, making virtually no improvements to those ideas over time. But real experts know that in order to stay sharp, they need to keep learning. That retired professor who pays his own way to attend conferences in his field, uncertain of any financial benefit from attending? He’s doing so because he can’t help it—he simply has to keep up with the latest developments in his field.

Lifelong learning,
and being open to editing or changing positions and correction because of discovery of new and unknown information is honest.

It's not only fake experts who've "been known to cover his ears and sing “lalalalala!” for minutes on end while his older brother tries to tell him something he doesn’t want to hear."

fj1200
11-24-2014, 08:23 AM
2 stand out

Apparently relevant on the internet as well. :)