PDA

View Full Version : San Francisco Mayor Bans Bottled Water

MtnBiker
06-24-2007, 05:44 PM
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - The mayor of San Francisco is trying to get city workers off the bottle -- bottled water that is.

Mayor Gavin Newsom has issued an executive order banning city departments from buying bottled water as of July First. It'll be extended to water coolers as of December.

A spokesman for the San Francisco public utilities commission says the move will help stem global warming and save taxpayers some money. The mayor also cites the environmental impact of making, transporting and disposing of billions of bottles.

When the San Francisco ban goes into effect, city and county offices will dispense municipal tap water. Exceptions will be made in cases where drinkable water is not easily available or there's a health concern.
Link (http://www.komotv.com/news/national/8156127.html)

I saw this one comming. Look for the "enviromental" crowd to make this a national movement.

MtnBiker
06-24-2007, 05:46 PM
I wonder if city departments are able to purchase any bottled drinks, ie soda, juice?

LiberalNation
06-24-2007, 06:02 PM
This is soooo stupid. People should be able to buy water in a bottle if they feel like it.

Yurt
06-24-2007, 06:03 PM
what an idiot. who the F does he think he is, a dictator? i bet the city water is nasty. maybe if the city cared more about the environment, they would make their water as good as bottled water, but no, it is much easier to be a dictator and control people's lives.

i can't believe this is constitutional.

MtnBiker
06-24-2007, 06:05 PM
what an idiot. who the F does he think he is, a dictator? i bet the city water is nasty. maybe if the city cared more about the environment, they would make their water as good as bottled water, but no, it is much easier to be a dictator and control people's lives.

i can't believe this is constitutional.

Well, for now it only applies to city governmental departments. He can tell city employee how to spend government monies. But yeah its dumb.

Kathianne
06-24-2007, 06:08 PM
Well, for now it only applies to city governmental departments. He can tell city employee how to spend government monies. But yeah its dumb.

I concur, considering the waste in all levels of government, dumb. Then again, could be the start of some other cuts? :coffee:

Yurt
06-24-2007, 06:09 PM

The water cooler one truly shows his ignorance. Those bottles are reused.

So people are allowed to bring bottled water to work then?

And I too wonder about sodas, crackers in plastic bags...

LOki
06-24-2007, 06:11 PM
It appears that the mayor of SF would rather the city workers drink the kool-aid.

MtnBiker
06-24-2007, 06:12 PM
The water cooler one truly shows his ignorance. Those bottles are reused.
Good point, that water usage should be encouraged.

So people are allowed to bring bottled water to work then?

I do not know, perhaps empolyee can bring their own water. I bet it would be frowned upon.

And I too wonder about sodas, crackers in plastic bags...

I wonder also. What is the main ingredient in bottled soda?

nevadamedic
06-24-2007, 06:13 PM
Link (http://www.komotv.com/news/national/8156127.html)

I saw this one comming. Look for the "enviromental" crowd to make this a national movement.

Bottled water is a scam anyways. You can goto Costco and get a PUR filter really cheap for your sink and it will come out cleaner then even bottled water. That's what I reccommended for my customer's at Sears. It will also save you money in the long run.

nevadamedic
06-24-2007, 06:15 PM
I concur, considering the waste in all levels of government, dumb. Then again, could be the start of some other cuts? :coffee:

Bottled water is a waste of money period.

glockmail
06-24-2007, 06:16 PM
This is soooo stupid. People should be able to buy water in a bottle if they feel like it.
Its not people who are banned, its City Departments. That means that if City employees don't want to drink water that the City made, out of the tap, then they have to buy it themselves. I think its a good idea.

MtnBiker
06-24-2007, 06:16 PM
Bottled water is a scam anyways. You can goto Costco and get a PUR filter really cheap for your sink and it will come out cleaner then even bottled water. That's what I reccommended for my customer's at Sears. It will also save you money in the long run.

Good point, it is more efficient for consumers to use tap water. However my concern is how far governments want to legislate the availablility of bottled water and consumer choice.

nevadamedic
06-24-2007, 06:17 PM
Costco now has a water pitcher with a PUR filter in it. This is also better then bottled water. I also reccommend a water softner to be added to all home water systems. Hard water destroys appliances and causes wear and tear on pipes faucets and shower heads.

Yurt
06-24-2007, 06:17 PM
Good point, that water usage should be encouraged.

I do not know, perhaps empolyee can bring their own water. I bet it would be frowned upon.

I wonder also. What is the main ingredient in bottled soda?

Hmmm, maybe the kool-aid Loki was referring too, er wait, that has WATER in it :laugh2:

Yurt
06-24-2007, 06:20 PM
Good point, it is more efficient for consumers to use tap water. However my concern is how far governments want to legislate the availablility of bottled water and consumer choice.

Until cities clean their water up, tap water is off limits for straight drinking.

The second part, I concur absolutely. Instead of legislating, they should make thier own water as desirable. But again, we are talking about democrats...

MtnBiker
06-24-2007, 06:21 PM
It makes you wonder what other orders will be given in the name of "global warming"?

glockmail
06-24-2007, 06:24 PM
It makes you wonder what other orders will be given in the name of "global warming"? Its the best way to sell something to a City full of liberals. If Gavin tried to sell it as simple cost cutting, he would be blasted by his constituency.

Yurt
06-24-2007, 06:24 PM
It makes you wonder what other orders will be given in the name of "global warming"?

I think there should be an order for him to shut his trap, because everytime he opens it....

glockmail
06-24-2007, 06:25 PM
Until cities clean their water up, tap water is off limits for straight drinking.

The second part, I concur absolutely. Instead of legislating, they should make thier own water as desirable. But again, we are talking about democrats...

City water is usually better than bottled water. Plus it has flouride. I insist my kids drink tap water whenever it is available.

MtnBiker
06-24-2007, 06:27 PM
Its the best way to sell something to a City full of liberals. If Gavin tried to sell it as simple cost cutting, he would be blasted by his constituency.

You really think he is trying to cut cost buy not buying bottled water? I do not live in S.F. but there are likely dozens of other cost saving iniatives he could implement.

Yurt
06-24-2007, 06:28 PM
City water is usually better than bottled water. Plus it has flouride. I insist my kids drink tap water whenever it is available.

You must have a good municipal water source. Everywhere I have lived in CA the water is bad. Well, Eureke was good for a while.

I also don't think it is better than Fiji water or my regular Spring water from arrowhead.

Kathianne
06-24-2007, 06:29 PM
Bottled water is a waste of money period.

I was raised on well water, very glad when Lake Michigan water replaced it. ;) I have no problem with tap water, but I use the bottled water for gym, at school-smaller spills than a cup. It's also handy in the car and for walking.

I don't see a need for it being provided in the work place, but really can't see a ban on bringing it in, if coffee or whatever is allowed.

glockmail
06-24-2007, 06:30 PM
You really think he is trying to cut cost buy not buying bottled water? I do not live in S.F. but there are likely dozens of other cost saving iniatives he could implement. I have no idea why he's implementing it. Since he's a flaming liberal, I'm sure that cost cutting is not part of his reasoning.

Kathianne
06-24-2007, 06:34 PM
You really think he is trying to cut cost buy not buying bottled water? I do not live in S.F. but there are likely dozens of other cost saving iniatives he could implement.

That was my point. LOL! I'm sure there are dozens of ways to cut costs, but this sounds so good! It's much ado about nothing, but I'd figure if the city is going to stop providing bottle water, they better be doing the same about coffee, hot chocolate, tea, etc.

MtnBiker
06-24-2007, 06:34 PM
I have no idea why he's implementing it. Since he's a flaming liberal, I'm sure that cost cutting is not part of his reasoning.

Well he did say it was to help with global warming, also I think liberals hate to see companies make a profit from a product that can be obtained for pennies.

glockmail
06-24-2007, 06:38 PM
You must have a good municipal water source. Everywhere I have lived in CA the water is bad. Well, Eureke was good for a while.

I also don't think it is better than Fiji water or my regular Spring water from arrowhead.

Our supply is from the Yadkin River, which is not bad at our intake location, but the effluent from the Couty sewer plant dumps downstream, so I can't vouche for the next City down the line. At our intake there is a lot of fine sediment, typical of the Piedmont, so there is an organic taste sometimes. In realty the micronutrients in the silt are good for you.

I've lived in Boston which has an excellent system. Also NYC is one of the worlds best. Most large, older cities planned out their syetems and developed huge reserviors before the folk that got displaced were able to organize like they do today.

A lot of CA is a desert, plus grew up later, so its no wonder that the water sucks.

glockmail
06-24-2007, 06:39 PM
Well he did say it was to help with global warming, also I think liberals hate to see companies make a profit from a product that can be obtained for pennies. That's probably his real motive.

06-24-2007, 06:42 PM

thats not the point. the point is who the heck does this guy think he is to tell people how they can get their water?

MtnBiker
06-24-2007, 06:44 PM
For now he is only telling city departments how they can spend government monies.

06-24-2007, 06:47 PM
so how long do you think it will be before the left begins calling for the exstinction of the non-believers to save the world from global warming? After all humans breath out alot of CO2. Its not a stretch. Its just a sacrifice people are going to have to make for the people have to make for the good of the planet...

glockmail
06-24-2007, 07:17 PM
so how long do you think it will be before the left begins calling for the exstinction of the non-believers to save the world from global warming? After all humans breath out alot of CO2. Its not a stretch. Its just a sacrifice people are going to have to make for the people have to make for the good of the planet... I hope its soon, because I have a pile of ammunition thats just sitting here. If that is the issue that starts the next Civil War, then so be it. We can clear up a lot of other issues while we're all busy killing rabid, flaming liberals.

nevadamedic
06-24-2007, 07:22 PM

They should ban it altogether. People are falsly led to believe that tap water is bad. That is not the case at all.

glockmail
06-24-2007, 07:26 PM
They should ban it altogether. People are falsly led to believe that tap water is bad. That is not the case at all. If people want to toss their cash out the window, why should government stop that? You must be a flaming liberal.

nevadamedic
06-24-2007, 07:26 PM

:clap: If you test them there is no difference. Bottled water is a big business and a big scam. They run their business by decieving the consumer. If the person is that worried you can take a pill bottle full of your water to your local Sears and they will test it and show you that there is no difference. Depending on the area you are in you may have hard water, but that makes no difference on the drinking end and if it bothers you you can get a water softner for your hole house relativly cheap starting right around $199(Ireccommend them for every house).

nevadamedic
06-24-2007, 07:27 PM
If people want to toss their cash out the window, why should government stop that? You must be a flaming liberal.

No, Liberals like money to be spent on completly usless items.

shattered
06-24-2007, 07:28 PM
They should ban it altogether. People are falsly led to believe that tap water is bad. That is not the case at all.

Tap water tastes like complete shit, even WITH a filter. How about that?

You want something to really make you sick? The bottled water I drink is approx. $2.00 a bottle. Fiji. There is no better tasting water *anywhere*. Bottled, or otherwise.

Now, why should it be banned?

glockmail
06-24-2007, 07:29 PM
:clap: If you test them there is no difference. Bottled water is a big business and a big scam. They run their business by decieving the consumer. If the person is that worried you can take a pill bottle full of your water to your local Sears and they will test it and show you that there is no difference. Depending on the area you are in you may have hard water, but that makes no difference on the drinking end and if it bothers you you can get a water softner for your hole house relativly cheap starting right around $199(Ireccommend them for every house).

All a softener does is replace on ion (usually magnesium and calcium) with another (sodium). Guess which one's are better for your health?

Yurt
06-24-2007, 07:38 PM
Tap water tastes like complete shit, even WITH a filter. How about that?

You want something to really make you sick? The bottled water I drink is approx. $2.00 a bottle. Fiji. There is no better tasting water *anywhere*. Bottled, or otherwise.

Now, why should it be banned?

If you live by a traders joes, they are cheaper there.

I agree, tap tastes nasty with a filter as well. I rent, so I can't install a "filter." I bought one of those "brita" filter containers and imo, it was disgusting. So I buy the 2.5 gallons of arrowhead at costco and when I really want some good water, hiking, traveling, I buy Fiji. Absolute best and no way tap water (here anyways) beats it. Used to like "trinity" but they stopped selling.

shattered
06-24-2007, 07:40 PM

I agree, tap tastes nasty with a filter as well. I rent, so I can't install a "filter." I bought one of those "brita" filter containers and imo, it was disgusting. So I buy the 2.5 gallons of arrowhead at costco and when I really want some good water, hiking, traveling, I buy Fiji. Absolute best and no way tap water (here anyways) beats it. Used to like "trinity" but they stopped selling.

I'd say for those that don't believe it, make a line..

Tap water, generic bottled water, Dasani, Evian, and then Fijis.

Drink each one, and tell me Fiji's isn't by far the *best*, and that you can't taste a difference.

nevadamedic
06-24-2007, 07:41 PM

You can install a PUR filter and I guarantee you wont taste a difference between that and bottled water.

nevadamedic
06-24-2007, 07:43 PM

PUR also makes a filter pitcher just like the Brita.

shattered
06-24-2007, 07:45 PM
PUR and Brita are both shit. Tried'm both. No comparison.

Yurt
06-24-2007, 07:45 PM
PUR also makes a filter pitcher just like the Brita.

Its disgusting (IMHO) as well. If I don't like the water, why should I not be allowed to purchase bottled water I find more palatable? It is not scam.

Yurt
06-24-2007, 07:48 PM
You can install a PUR filter and I guarantee you wont taste a difference between that and bottled water.

Do you drink tap straight or with a filter?

glockmail
06-25-2007, 07:24 AM
PUR and Brita are both shit. Tried'm both. No comparison. A water snob.

Little-Acorn
06-25-2007, 01:30 PM
I'm always entertained by discussions of bottled water. In virtually all parts of the United States, bottled water is a scam, right up there with selling sand to the Arabs or ice to the Eskimos. Somehow people have persuaded themselves that the water coming out of their taps is not good for some reason. Although I haven't heard of anyone suing the city utilities for this supposed "poor quality". Neither have I heard of any epidemics of large numbers of people getting sick or dying from drinking tap water, anywhere at all. And no one else has heard of such things, either, because they never happened.

Yet many have convinced themselves, helped by copious advertising from the bottled-water companies of course, that bottled water is better for you than tap water. And they are willing to pay dollars for the privilege of going to the store and hauling large cases of water home - the same home where they could pay fractions of a cent to get the same water with a convenient twist of the tap, right in their kitchen.

It's a wonder these people don't go around wearing rubber gloves and surgical masks - the risk from breathing the air and touching various surfaces is at least as high (that is, it's not high at all) as drinking tap water. Maybe higher, since unknown people, animals, dust etc. have touched that air right before it goes into your lungs, whereas tap water's delivery system is fairly well controlled. At least, better controlled than air.

People who wear gloves and surgical masks everywhere, are correctly known as fruitcakes or paranoids. Bottled-water people would be also, except they're harder to spot - the bottled water they're drinking doesn't look any different than tap water... except for the price tag, of course. Plus the way they whine about terrible pollution or whatever in tap water. The whining is safe, since they are among friends who are unlikely to check for actual evidence of their claims... and equally unlikely to stop and ask themselves when they last heard of ANYBODY having an actual personal problem from tap water.

If the Eskimos ever wise up and stop buying ice from me, I'm not worried. I can always keep selling bottled water to gullible Americans, even the ones who took pains to make sure the house they just bought had water taps everywhere for virtually-free city water. And my advertising budget will dwindle to zero, since my victims\\\\\\\customers will do all that themselves, self-righteously telling each other that they are far superior to those tap-water-drinking Neanderthals because of... well, for some reason.

Great work if you can get it.

nevadamedic
06-25-2007, 01:43 PM
A water snob.

There actually is no difference, it's all phycological.

Little-Acorn
06-25-2007, 02:02 PM
SF Mayor Gavin Newsome is to be credited for getting one right. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day. One of the reasons Newsome mentioned for stopping the city from buying bottled water where tap water was available, was that bottled water was too expensive, or unnecessarily expensive.

Of course, he had to throw in all the usual language about preventing global warming, the usual tripe for those bottled-water-drinking types who have also convinced themselves that man had something to do with global warming and/or can do anything to alter it. I don't know if Newsome actually believes that bunk himself, or is just tossing it in to make his nuttier constituents think he's as nutty as they are and so get their votes. But in indicating the pointless expense of bottled water over tap water, Newsome came dangerously close to telling the truth for once.

nevadamedic
06-25-2007, 02:28 PM
I'm always entertained by discussions of bottled water. In virtually all parts of the United States, bottled water is a scam, right up there with selling sand to the Arabs or ice to the Eskimos. Somehow people have persuaded themselves that the water coming out of their taps is not good for some reason. Although I haven't heard of anyone suing the city utilities for this supposed "poor quality". Neither have I heard of any epidemics of large numbers of people getting sick or dying from drinking tap water, anywhere at all. And no one else has heard of such things, either, because they never happened.

Yet many have convinced themselves, helped by copious advertising from the bottled-water companies of course, that bottled water is better for you than tap water. And they are willing to pay dollars for the privilege of going to the store and hauling large cases of water home - the same home where they could pay fractions of a cent to get the same water with a convenient twist of the tap, right in their kitchen.

It's a wonder these people don't go around wearing rubber gloves and surgical masks - the risk from breathing the air and touching various surfaces is at least as high (that is, it's not high at all) as drinking tap water. Maybe higher, since unknown people, animals, dust etc. have touched that air right before it goes into your lungs, whereas tap water's delivery system is fairly well controlled. At least, better controlled than air.

People who wear gloves and surgical masks everywhere, are correctly known as fruitcakes or paranoids. Bottled-water people would be also, except they're harder to spot - the bottled water they're drinking doesn't look any different than tap water... except for the price tag, of course. Plus the way they whine about terrible pollution or whatever in tap water. The whining is safe, since they are among friends who are unlikely to check for actual evidence of their claims... and equally unlikely to stop and ask themselves when they last heard of ANYBODY having an actual personal problem from tap water.

If the Eskimos ever wise up and stop buying ice from me, I'm not worried. I can always keep selling bottled water to gullible Americans, even the ones who took pains to make sure the house they just bought had water taps everywhere for virtually-free city water. And my advertising budget will dwindle to zero, since my victims\\\\\\\customers will do all that themselves, self-righteously telling each other that they are far superior to those tap-water-drinking Neanderthals because of... well, for some reason.

Great work if you can get it.

:clap: I couldn't have said it better! :clap: The water companies also have them thinking that it taste's better when there is no difference, it is all Psycological, the power of the mind in unbelieveable.

nevadamedic
06-25-2007, 02:30 PM
SF Mayor Gavin Newsome is to be credited for getting one right. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day. One of the reasons Newsome mentioned for stopping the city from buying bottled water where tap water was available, was that bottled water was too expensive, or unnecessarily expensive.

Of course, he had to throw in all the usual language about preventing global warming, the usual tripe for those bottled-water-drinking types who have also convinced themselves that man had something to do with global warming and/or can do anything to alter it. I don't know if Newsome actually believes that bunk himself, or is just tossing it in to make his nuttier constituents think he's as nutty as they are and so get their votes. But in indicating the pointless expense of bottled water over tap water, Newsome came dangerously close to telling the truth for once.

Myabe Michael Moore will do a documentary on bottled water next. :laugh2:

06-25-2007, 06:12 PM
who cares whether bottled water is a "scam" or not. People should be allowed to buy whatever they want. If someone wants to buy water in a bottle from me or anyone else, who is Gavin Newsome or anyone else to tell me they cant buy it?

I mean if its going to kill them, i could see the government intervention. but simply because of the government officials see it as a waste? Bull crap.

Whats the point of freedom without a free market?

Oh, and there are places where water is not drinkable from the tap. You have to remember that bottled water companies sell water world wide. Simply because people in the United States do have an alternative source of clean water, doesnt mean anyone else does. So to say its just a scam is completely unfair. Go to Egypt sometime, tell me if you really want to drink water from the tap.... There is a reason Europeans drink beer more than water, and its not simply cause they like getting drunk (although they certainly do).

Little-Acorn
06-25-2007, 06:55 PM
who cares whether bottled water is a "scam" or not.
Not me. I don't buy it.

who is Gavin Newsome or anyone else to tell me they cant buy it?
I must have missed the part where Gavin Newsome or anyone else, told you you couldn't buy it. Where did they say that?

I mean if its going to kill them, i could see the government intervention.
Rat poison will kill you. But no government intervention is needed. Just don't eat it, OK? There, problem solved.

(Irrelevant tirade about other countries deleted)

nevadamedic
07-16-2007, 10:34 PM
Not me. I don't buy it.

I must have missed the part where Gavin Newsome or anyone else, told you you couldn't buy it. Where did they say that?

Rat poison will kill you. But no government intervention is needed. Just don't eat it, OK? There, problem solved.

(Irrelevant tirade about other countries deleted)

:laugh2:

waterrescuedude2000
07-17-2007, 04:23 AM
Well I say leave it to the liberals to try and control everything a "free citizen" can and can't do.