PDA

View Full Version : Dressing or Stuffin?

Perianne
11-24-2014, 08:27 PM
What do people call it where you live, dressing or stuffing?

Being a southern girl, it is dressing.

Jeff
11-24-2014, 08:30 PM

either or as long as it is good, I guess dressing is what I would call it but then again I have said stuffing many times as well, so I stand by my original statement either or

hjmick
11-24-2014, 08:35 PM
Dressing is prepared in a dish, outside of the bird, stuffing is prepared, well, inside of the bird...

Perianne
11-24-2014, 08:37 PM
I suppose it is sorta like the Coke vs pop vs soda thingy. No matter where you cook the dressing, inside or out of the bird, here it is dressing.

fj1200
11-24-2014, 08:49 PM
http://cdn.meme.am/instances/37332654.jpg

aboutime
11-24-2014, 10:13 PM
Stuffing or Dressing. No Turkey, or Thanksgiving without it.

red state
11-24-2014, 11:12 PM
Two different animals as far as I am concerned. Some folks have dressing while other have stuffing. It is not the same and although we prefer to have dressing......sometimes we will pile up some stuffing WITH the dressing. They go just fine together (like broccoli casserole and greenbean/mushroom soup casserole. They are different dishes prepared differently....often times with different ingredients.

I love my pecan pie with a good slab of honey baked ham!!!! I'll eat it after the Thanksgiving meal, during the ball game, late snack and even for breakfast!!!!! My favorite Holiday.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-26-2014, 07:33 PM

Always--Dressing.. Its not stuffed into anything the way we in the South make it..

jimnyc
11-26-2014, 07:42 PM
Stuffing. Dressing is what you put on a salad. When things start to have 2 meanings I get confused. So all of you that call it dressing now? I'm sorry, but that has to change, just so I don't end up with blue cheese on my turkey!

LongTermGuy
11-26-2014, 08:21 PM
`Everybody is different....with the use of the "Dressing / Stuffing thing....Me? depends on my mood / condition at given time...I use them both....I don't care what anyone else calls it as long as I get it...`

aboutime
11-26-2014, 08:23 PM
Stuffin' is what you push into the bird before pushing it into the oven, or wherever you plan to cook it.

Some people call it dressing. That's fine too! Why do we have to make some reason to even ARGUE about what some of us call it?

No matter what you call it. No matter where you are. No matter who you are.

If you are an AMERICAN, and love being an AMERICAN.

As Americans, we should all cherish, and welcome the simple fact. As Americans, we still have SOMETHING to be thankful for!

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. Even those who will celebrate, but deny they are proud to be Americans.

Perianne
11-26-2014, 11:04 PM
Stuffing. Dressing is what you put on a salad. When things start to have 2 meanings I get confused. So all of you that call it dressing now? I'm sorry, but that has to change, just so I don't end up with blue cheese on my turkey!

Jim, it is time for a change. Perianne says it is dressing, so that is what it is. ;)

Jeff
11-27-2014, 08:03 AM
Always--Dressing.. Its not stuffed into anything the way we in the South make it..

Brother the south has a lot of good eats sure enough, but they do destroy a turkey, at least in SC and GA, I will have about 4 new friends over today and a bunch from years past, the one's from years past would always cook a small turkey but their main meal was Ham , seems many down here don't like turkey and the reason being they cook the dam bird for to long it has no taste, when I met my wife she told me her family would put the bird in the oven the night before and when they woke up it was done ( I bet it was :laugh: ) I remember the first thanksgiving I cooked for her family, I cooked a 24 lb bird and the oven was off so it took a half hour or so longer to cook, my sister in law ( being the cook she is ) chimed in and said Hmmm a bird that size should of cooked for at least 11 hours :laugh: if ya ever notice down here in the south when they have turkey they cut it up and keep it on a steam table , they place it in water because they think that will make it moist. MY Mom was a fantastic cook and always cooked a huge bird and she would tell ya quick no bird should ever cook for more than 4 hours.

This year we are cooking a 26lb turkey and we plan on cooking it for 3 1/2 hours at 325, as long as the inner temp is at 170 its done, Dang I just made myself hungry :laugh: Heck Bro a friend of mine who is the baby of his family is 50, he has a older brother and sister , he ate at my house a few years back and asked to take some turkey with him, of course I told him yes, well come to find out he took it to his family and yup yesterday they called again to tell me what size turkeys they have and asked how long to cook them :laugh: by the way his Mom is one of the first calls I get.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-27-2014, 09:00 AM
Brother the south has a lot of good eats sure enough, but they do destroy a turkey, at least in SC and GA, I will have about 4 new friends over today and a bunch from years past, the one's from years past would always cook a small turkey but their main meal was Ham , seems many down here don't like turkey and the reason being they cook the dam bird for to long it has no taste, when I met my wife she told me her family would put the bird in the oven the night before and when they woke up it was done ( I bet it was :laugh: ) I remember the first thanksgiving I cooked for her family, I cooked a 24 lb bird and the oven was off so it took a half hour or so longer to cook, my sister in law ( being the cook she is ) chimed in and said Hmmm a bird that size should of cooked for at least 11 hours :laugh: if ya ever notice down here in the south when they have turkey they cut it up and keep it on a steam table , they place it in water because they think that will make it moist. MY Mom was a fantastic cook and always cooked a huge bird and she would tell ya quick no bird should ever cook for more than 4 hours.

This year we are cooking a 26lb turkey and we plan on cooking it for 3 1/2 hours at 325, as long as the inner temp is at 170 its done, Dang I just made myself hungry :laugh: Heck Bro a friend of mine who is the baby of his family is 50, he has a older brother and sister , he ate at my house a few years back and asked to take some turkey with him, of course I told him yes, well come to find out he took it to his family and yup yesterday they called again to tell me what size turkeys they have and asked how long to cook them :laugh: by the way his Mom is one of the first calls I get.
Jeff maybe that's a Georgia thang my friend. We don't overcook turkeys. Hell, if over cooked and or too dry everybody raises hell around here. Of course nobody wants turkey undercooked. They must be putting the damn turkeys in fully frozen and cooking then
that way is my guess. We always, always fully thaw out our turkeys and cook them until done but not overly done. Time for cooking has to be adjusted depending on the size of the bird. My sister Louise is the only one of the 4 girls that makes dressing like my Mom did--fine! And Mom always had chicken dressing, that's with meat , as opposed to without meat. Even at Thanksgiving with usually three turkeys and one or two big hams she still had chicken dressing --with MEAT..
Today will be two large turkeys, two large hams-Honeybake and a ton of other fantastic food that "will kill us"...notice how the better the food taste the worse is health-wise for ya? At least that's what the docs say..
Trust me, I ignore them and eat like a damn pig every Thanksgiving day. :beer: :dance: :beer:
my favorite desert is pecan pie cooked with secret ingredient in it .
SSH, ITS A SECRET , COOKED WITH BRANDY... NOT ENOUGH TO GET ONE DRUNK BUT ENOUGH FOR THAT SPECIAL FLAVOR. -Tyr

fj1200
11-27-2014, 10:20 AM
... the reason being they cook the dam bird for to long it has no taste...

Deep fry the turkey. That or...

The perfect, fool-proof Thanksgiving turkey recipe, politics included (http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/nov/19/rusty-humphries-perfect-fool-proof-thanksgiving-tu/)

Jeff
11-27-2014, 11:39 AM
Jeff maybe that's a Georgia thang my friend. We don't overcook turkeys. Hell, if over cooked and or too dry everybody raises hell around here. Of course nobody wants turkey undercooked. They must be putting the damn turkeys in fully frozen and cooking then
that way is my guess. We always, always fully thaw out our turkeys and cook them until done but not overly done. Time for cooking has to be adjusted depending on the size of the bird. My sister Louise is the only one of the 4 girls that makes dressing like my Mom did--fine! And Mom always had chicken dressing, that's with meat , as opposed to without meat. Even at Thanksgiving with usually three turkeys and one or two big hams she still had chicken dressing --with MEAT..
Today will be two large turkeys, two large hams-Honeybake and a ton of other fantastic food that "will kill us"...notice how the better the food taste the worse is health-wise for ya? At least that's what the docs say..
Trust me, I ignore them and eat like a damn pig every Thanksgiving day. :beer: :dance: :beer:
SSH, ITS A SECRET , COOKED WITH BRANDY... NOT ENOUGH TO GET ONE DRUNK BUT ENOUGH FOR THAT SPECIAL FLAVOR. -Tyr

Enjoy Bro it sounds great !!

Deep fry the turkey. That or...

The perfect, fool-proof Thanksgiving turkey recipe, politics included (http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/nov/19/rusty-humphries-perfect-fool-proof-thanksgiving-tu/)

fj deep frying starts next weekend LOL, I have a Christmas party next Saturday and will fry 2 for it and then it seems like one a week until spring LOL, Have a great Turkey day !!!

red state
11-28-2014, 11:21 PM

EXACTLY!!!! We didn't have ham this year but we had practically everything else (including a very fine, moist and tasty turkey). Jeff, what you wrote about folks in the South cooking the: "the dam bird for to long it has no taste" must be in your confined area of the South but not in the areas of TN, MS and Alabama.

Aboutime is right in that it really doesn't matter whether we call them biscuits or scones as long as we remember why we celebrate THANKSGIVING.

Hope all had a merry Thanksgiving with plans to have a happy Christmas and glorious New Year! Salute!