PDA

View Full Version : Happy Thanksgiving

jimnyc
11-26-2014, 06:27 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to ALL of you!! I hope our entire DP family is happy and safe, and hopefully with loved ones. At the end of the day, what matters most is spending quality time with your respective families and loved ones. Enjoy the time together and enjoy eating whatever meal of your choice happens to be!! We're having your typical dinner with turkey and all the extras. My friend is having lamb, with some different extras. We agreed ahead of time to make a huge plate for one another to swap.

http://i.imgur.com/pBxgEGi.jpg

Kathianne
11-26-2014, 06:57 PM
Both of those dinners rate, swapping leftovers is a great idea!

I'm going to be alone tomorrow, but I'm making a mini-Thanksgiving. I'm trying out some recipes to make when the darling daughter brings my granddaughter and daddy to visit December 5. We're having a Thanksgiving/Christmas celebration, so I'm going to cook for myself for Thanksgiving.

I bought a small turkey roast and am making dressing, roasted brussel sprouts with bacon and shallots, acorn squash with brown sugar and butter, and have a pumpkin pie.

I have a 15 lb turkey in freezer for Alison and her parents, alas Alison only looks to mom for feeding. ;)

I've always made a sausage/sage dressing with bread crumbs, the way mom taught me. For tomorrow I made french bread and have cut it into croutons, drying in 200 oven as I write. All the ingredients are the same, but I thought I'd try the croutons.

I've never like cabbage or brussel sprouts, but decided to give them a chance with bacon. LOL! We'll see.

I'll be talking on the phone or possibly skypping if the internet hold up with friends and family. For years my BFF and I've talked while cooking, tomorrow will be the same. I guess I won't be alone after all.

Happy Thanksgiving All!

hjmick
11-26-2014, 07:08 PM
It's times like this I think everyone should pause and consider the holiday. Its origin, its history, the first time it was celebrated...

On April 10, 1872, an estimated one million trees were planted in Nebraska... This was the first time I appeared in America... Birdsey Northrop of Connecticut was responsible for globalizing it when he visited Japan in 1883... But the first global appearance of Arbor Day was is in 1805 in... What? Really? Oh...

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Kathianne
11-27-2014, 02:54 PM
The house is smelling awesomely of sage and sausage.

It's weird not having company, but since much is practice for the kids' visit; I'm cleaning between throwing the things together and in the oven. That does feel like 'holiday,' getting windows clean and using Mr Clean 'Miracle Erasure' to clean walls, light switches, etc.

I hope everyone is having a wonderful Thanksgiving.

tailfins
11-27-2014, 03:54 PM
Our Thanksgiving is much lonelier this year. Last year we had 8 people: My family of 4, my sister, my nephew, one of my co-workers and his friend. My sister is no longer with us, and now we're in Texas where we don't know anybody. Next year will likely be better. My wife's parents plan on moving back to the US, probably Omaha, next quarter. At least we have a much nicer living arrangement now.