PDA

View Full Version : is there unfair sentencing for Blacks .. and others

revelarts
11-26-2014, 11:10 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-r-Cdkv444t4/UgJTibEP2VI/AAAAAAABhIY/-1RPaTquzy4/s640/Screen+shot+2013-08-06+at+1.12.37+PM.png

Hillary Transue, 14, created a fake, humorous Myspace page about her school’s vice principal.
Justin Bodnar, 12, cursed at another student’s mother.
Ed Kenzakoski, 17, did nothing at all.
It didn’t matter.
As we see in the documentary “Kids for Cash,” which opens Friday, all three Luzerne County, Pa. teens met the same fate for their minor infractions.
They were hauled into court with their parents, sometimes *after being persuaded — coerced, according to at least one parent — by police to waive their right to *legal counsel.
They were brought before Judge Mark A. Ciavarella and, without warning or the chance to offer a defense, found themselves pronounced guilty, shackled and sentenced to months of detention in a cockroach-infested jail.
They were trapped in the juvenile justice system for years, robbing most of them of their entire high-school experience.
Modal Trigger (http://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/hillary-transue.jpg)http://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/hillary-transue.jpg?w=300Hillary Transue was sent to juvenile detention for making a fake Myspace page for her teacher.Photo: AP Photo/Matt Rourke

Judge Ciavarella, who sentenced around 3,000 children in a similar manner, was later sentenced himself to 28 years in prison for financial crimes related to his acceptance of $2.2 million as a finder’s fee for the construction of a for-profit facility in which to house these so-called delinquents.
The scandal was called “Kids for Cash,” and it rocked the state in 2009 — for the accusation that Ciavarella was happy to tear families apart in exchange for the payoff.
Kenzakoski was diagnosed with ADD before he was 10 and drinking by 14, and his parents were so worried about him that his father developed a plan to scare him straight.
Along with two police officer buddies, Kenzakoski’s father planted a marijuana pipe in the boy’s truck, hoping he would be arrested and turned around after a confrontation with the authorities.
But the second part of that plan went awry, and Ciavarella sent the boy away.
In the film, Bodnar recalls how, shackled and torn from his home for saying a dirty word, he approached the facility on a convict bus and saw the 20-foot razor wire.
“I’m now one of those people you see in the movies,” thought the 12-year-old, who would smoke pot for the first time three months later, influenced by “living around criminals” in a facility intended to make him a better person.
After her release from incarceration, Transue returned to school with a stigma, viewed as a criminal by her teachers and under watch from her probation officer, who kept an office in the school.
Mark Ciavarella was elected to a 10-year-term as Luzerne County judge in 1995, on a platform of getting tough on teen crime. Much admired for his stance, he was a frequent speaker at schools and was re-elected in 2005.
Knowing he was sending children to a run-down detention facility, Ciavarella decided a new one was needed and approached power broker Judge Michael Conahan, who assembled an investor group to build a private, for-profit detention facility named PA Child Care.
Ciavarella was paid a finder’s fee of 10 percent of construction costs, or $2.2 million, by its builder.
Undone by a tip from a reputed underworld friend of Conahan’s, among other information, Ciavarella had 2,480 of his convictions reversed and expunged.

After his initial release, Bodnar, now 24, was shipped off to a military academy. He now works as a cook. Transue, 22, eventually graduated from college.
A fender-bender landed Kenzakoski back in court when he was 19. Ciavarella again sentenced him to a juvenile facility. When he got out, said his mother, his demeanor was all pent-up anger, and a fight landed him in state prison.
He was released in January 2010. That Memorial Day, after a day of drinking and arguing with his father, Ed Kenzakoski placed a gun against his heart, and pulled the trigger. Had he lived, he would now be 27 years old.
The most harrowing moment in the film occurs during Ciavarella’s trial. As his lawyer holds a press conference outside the courthouse, Kenzakoski’s mother, Sandy Fonzo, who had been standing to the side, unleashed years of pain and anguish on the man she held responsible.
“My kid’s not here anymore! He’s dead! Because of him!” she screamed, pointing at Ciavarella as news cameras rolled. “He ruined my f—ing life!!! Go to hell, and rot there forever! You know what he told everybody in court — [the kids] need to be held accountable for their actions! You need to be!”
At the end of “Kids for Cash,” directed by Robert May, information flashes across the screen saying: “Two million children are arrested every year in the US, 95% for non-violent crimes”; that “66% of children who have been incarcerated never return to school”; and that “the US incarcerates nearly 5 times more children than any other nation in the world.”

all just bad kids, "thugs" right?

http://nypost.com/2014/02/23/film-details-teens-struggles-in-state-detention-in-payoff-scandal/

Jeff
11-27-2014, 07:48 AM
OK so you showed us a corrupt judge and guess what I bet there is more, so hey I hear ya, because he treated these 2000 plus kids wrong lets release all the blacks out of prison :rolleyes: hey we all know they are there because A) they ran across a corrupt Judge or B) the dam white cops where corrupt, well I guess there is a C as well C) whitey just can't understand the poor folks. Yup Rev I am all with ya on this one :rolleyes: But seriously I have to ask are you black or do you just not like white folks ? Rev I have the up most respect for you, I think you are very educated and learn a lot from your post even if I differ in opinion, but man this black white thing really has ya going .

revelarts
11-27-2014, 09:18 AM
OK so you showed us a corrupt judge and guess what I bet there is more, so hey I hear ya, because he treated these 2000 plus kids wrong lets release all the blacks out of prison :rolleyes: hey we all know they are there because A) they ran across a corrupt Judge or B) the dam white cops where corrupt, well I guess there is a C as well C) whitey just can't understand the poor folks. Yup Rev I am all with ya on this one :rolleyes: But seriously I have to ask are you black or do you just not like white folks ? Rev I have the up most respect for you, I think you are very educated and learn a lot from your post even if I differ in opinion, but man this black white thing really has ya going .

so lets release ALL the blacks Out of prison?
how do you get to THAT?
(thanks for the compliment BTW)
Look, Just because I point out a that the house has a serious plumbing problem doesn't mean I want to BURN DOWN the HOUSE.
my point is the plumbing problem is real and through out the structure. And need an honest appraisal and address. And Not be ignored or just assumed to a few people complaining because they wet themselves or are whiners.

I doubted this will get much traction here But Ron and Rand Paul admit to the problem. That there is unfair sentencing. based on race in the country. several studies show it.
Does this mean they all are INNOCENT?
did i say that? NO.
I said there's UNfair sentening and it should be addressed. that's it.
Does that mean I think NO BLACXKS SHOULD EVER GO TO JAIL?!!
did i say that. I said there is a real problem of unfair sentencing.

As far as me going on a this Black white thing. Um lets see a few weeks ago someone posted something about a racist teacher that devolved into a fair amount of how terrible bad blacks are. A whole SECTION on RACE popped up I posted a few there I guess. Did I start that? I posted 3 items there i think. then I think there are was 1 thread up about Kim K that turned Blk/W. I created 1 about whites rioting and now posted this one. But I ask you to look at the number of post i have in any of the 5 or 6 (more?)Ferguson threads. I don't think i've posted in any of them. and if you go through those threads and take a look at the amount of times Blacks have been called "animals" and the like. How many times various Blacks have been called racist, and other negative names how many times people have asked for blacks to be shot. Then look at how many in those threads have said 1 thing that'd put Blacks position in different better perspective.
OH yeah, and there's a HUMOR thread popped up where the only humor was a lot negative racist jokes making fun of Black people -like 90% of it- ...2 or 3 pages worth.

But "this black white thing" has really got me going? really?

the Right says they wonder WHY they can't Blacks to vote R. If you were leaning conservative and came to this Board and maybe hit the humor thread. What impression would you get of the right? are those the type of jokes that EVERYONE can enjoy. they don't know... i don't know any of you personally. but if the ONLY thing i saw is racial black jokes, calls for killing blacks and a handful of things like 'It's too bad but the animals need to be taught a lesson'.
I wouldn't think this was a group that really wanted Blacks around. Or had any real concern for the progress of Black people in the country.
Jeff would you say that the post here in general show they want the best for Blacks and show off the great Republican plans for Blacks and other minorities?

am i being too sensitive?

But i've got a thing over this black and white issue?

If you want to see some of things i have thing for Look up the war in Iraq issue, or the bad Cop issue, or the corrupt bank issues, or the Creation evolution issue, or Christian vs anything issues or a few others that have been my hobby horses.
Frankly I try not to get into the Black and White threads here. I've been a hard core conservative leaning person since the 80's and frankly discussing black white issues with conservatives is too often frustrating, painful and sad being African American. Often I just leave it to prayer.

Jeff
11-27-2014, 09:40 AM
so lets release ALL the blacks Out of prison?
how do you get to THAT?
(thanks for the compliment BTW)
Look, Just because I point out a that the house has a serious plumbing problem doesn't mean I want to BURN DOWN the HOUSE.
my point is the plumbing problem is real and through out the structure. And need an honest appraisal and address. And Not be ignored or just assumed to a few people complaining because they wet themselves or are whiners.

I doubted this will get much traction here But Ron and Rand Paul admit to the problem. That there is unfair sentencing. based on race in the country. several studies show it.
Does this mean they all are INNOCENT?
did i say that? NO.
I said there's UNfair sentening and it should be addressed. that's it.
Does that mean I think NO BLACXKS SHOULD EVER GO TO JAIL?!!
did i say that. I said there is a real problem of unfair sentencing.

As far as me going on a this Black white thing. Um lets see a few weeks ago someone posted something about a racist teacher that devolved into a fair amount of how terrible bad blacks are. A whole SECTION on RACE popped up I posted a few there I guess. Did I start that? I posted 3 items there i think. then I think there are was 1 thread up about Kim K that turned Blk/W. I created 1 about whites rioting and now posted this one. But I ask you to look at the number of post i have in any of the 5 or 6 (more?)Ferguson threads. I don't think i've posted in any of them. and if you go through those threads and take a look at the amount of times Blacks have been called "animals" and the like. How many times various Blacks have been called racist, and other negative names how many times people have asked for blacks to be shot. Then look at how many in those threads have said 1 thing that'd put Blacks position in different better perspective.
OH yeah, and there's a HUMOR thread popped up where the only humor was a lot negative racist jokes making fun of Black people -like 90% of it- ...2 or 3 pages worth.

But "this black white thing" has really got me going? really?

the Right says they wonder WHY they can't Blacks to vote R. If you were leaning conservative and came to this Board and maybe hit the humor thread. What impression would you get of the right? are those the type of jokes that EVERYONE can enjoy. they don't know... i don't know any of you personally. but if the ONLY thing i saw is racial black jokes, calls for killing blacks and a handful of things like 'It's too bad but the animals need to be taught a lesson'.
I wouldn't think this was a group that really wanted Blacks around. Or had any real concern for the progress of Black people in the country.
Jeff would you say that the post here in general show they want the best for Blacks and show off the great Republican plans for Blacks and other minorities?

am i being too sensitive?

But i've got a thing over this black and white issue?

If you want to see some of things i have thing for Look up the war in Iraq issue, or the bad Cop issue, or the corrupt bank issues, or the Creation evolution issue, or Christian vs anything issues or a few others that have been my hobby horses.
Frankly I try not to get into the Black and White threads here. I've been a hard core conservative leaning person since the 80's and frankly discussing black white issues with conservatives is too often frustrating, painful and sad being African American. Often I just leave it to prayer.

Fair enough Rev, maybe I took it wrong and if so I apologize

jimnyc
11-27-2014, 09:52 AM
I just read an older article about this judge. WTF? And to KIDS no less? How the hell does someone send kids up the river unlawfully like that? The good news is that the prosecutor and defendant came to an agreement for just over 7 years in prison - and a good judge said F that and gave him 4 times that amount. Based on the one kid alone I would have let this guy rot in prison forever.

--------

Former judge gets 28 years for scheme to unjustly jail youth

(CNN) -- A former Pennsylvania juvenile judge was sentenced to 28 years in prison Thursday after being convicted for a scheme to make millions off unjustly incarcerating young people, court officials said.

Former Luzerne County Judge Mark Ciavarella was also ordered by a federal judge in Pennsylvania to pay about $1 million in restitution.

The sentence was four times the 87 months sentence that Ciavarella and federal prosecutors had agreed to when he pleaded guilty to charges in 2009.

But that plea deal was thrown out by a federal judge and the case went to trial.

Ciavarella was found guilty in February of 12 of 39 racketeering and fraud charges for accepting millions of dollars in bribes from friends who owned detention centers to which he sent juveniles.

The case made national headlines when Ciavarella was confronted by a distraught mother outside a courtroom after his conviction.

Sandy Fonzo's 17-year-old son, Edward Kenzakowski, spent six months in a detention center after Ciavarella sentenced him for possession of drug paraphernalia.

According to Fonzo, her son, who had no prior record, was never able to recover and eventually took his own life.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/08/12/pennsylvania.judge.sentenced/index.html

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-27-2014, 10:14 AM
I just read an older article about this judge. WTF? And to KIDS no less? How the hell does someone send kids up the river unlawfully like that? The good news is that the prosecutor and defendant came to an agreement for just over 7 years in prison - and a good judge said F that and gave him 4 times that amount. Based on the one kid alone I would have let this guy rot in prison forever.

--------

Former judge gets 28 years for scheme to unjustly jail youth

(CNN) -- A former Pennsylvania juvenile judge was sentenced to 28 years in prison Thursday after being convicted for a scheme to make millions off unjustly incarcerating young people, court officials said.

Former Luzerne County Judge Mark Ciavarella was also ordered by a federal judge in Pennsylvania to pay about $1 million in restitution.

The sentence was four times the 87 months sentence that Ciavarella and federal prosecutors had agreed to when he pleaded guilty to charges in 2009.

But that plea deal was thrown out by a federal judge and the case went to trial.

Ciavarella was found guilty in February of 12 of 39 racketeering and fraud charges for accepting millions of dollars in bribes from friends who owned detention centers to which he sent juveniles.

The case made national headlines when Ciavarella was confronted by a distraught mother outside a courtroom after his conviction.

Sandy Fonzo's 17-year-old son, Edward Kenzakowski, spent six months in a detention center after Ciavarella sentenced him for possession of drug paraphernalia.

According to Fonzo, her son, who had no prior record, was never able to recover and eventually took his own life.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/08/12/pennsylvania.judge.sentenced/index.html

That judge should have his ass stomped everyday in prison. Imagine doing any kids like that, skin color doesn't matter. They were kids and deserved to be judged fairly/impartially.
Myself, Id beat his sorry ass until he passed out, wake him up and do it all again..-Tyr

revelarts
11-27-2014, 10:54 AM
It's another reason why FOR PROFIT prisons is a BAD idea.
somethings just should NOT be privatized.
the incentive is to FILL the Beds to make a $$$. not justice.
I want to know if those that did the Bribing --as well as the judge-- ended up in their own stinking prisons.
and if the companies lost their fat gov't contracts.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-27-2014, 11:34 AM
It's another reason why FOR PROFIT prisons is a BAD idea.
somethings just should NOT be privatized.
the incentive is to FILL the Beds to make a $$$. not justice.
I want to know if those that did the Bribing --as well as the judge-- ended up in their own stinking prisons.
and if the companies lost their fat gov't contracts.

Hate to break this to you but if they had a big--D- beside their names nothing was done to them.
That's pretty much how the cookies crumbles in the old corruption business.
Dems engage in it at a much, much higher rate and get by with it at a massively higher rate.
Media covers for the dems yet goes out of its way researching the hell out of Republicans while barely ever touching when its a demo-rat. Sad but true..
Obama and Harry Reid being prime examples.... both absolutely corrupt and totally dishonorable.. Fact.. -Tyr