PDA

View Full Version : Loyalty to the company = stupidity

tailfins
12-02-2014, 10:16 AM
I can see the below in my own experience. There's too much short term thinking in today's corporate culture. I write code for users in the Quality Assurance department. Many managers only care if the code works TODAY then dump everything back on the manual testers when the code that does automated tests breaks with a new software release. I am a craftsman that strives to use properly implemented software engineering standards even for testing. I watch compliant people in the field earn less and less. You must refuse to participate in the short term thinking to preserve and perhaps expand your earning power, even if it mean being thrown out of the building and having your belongings shipped to you. I insist on adhering to the SOLID principles (see link below).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOLID_%28object-oriented_design%29

My favorite quote:

Corporations don’t like you.

He said, “no, we want to be about the news. We don’t want anyone to be an individual star.”
In other words, his main job was to destroy the career aspirations of his most talented people, the people who swore their loyalty to him, the people who worked 90 hours a week for him.

http://www.jamesaltucher.com/2013/01/10-reasons-why-you-have-to-quit-your-job-this-year/

gabosaurus
12-02-2014, 11:11 AM
Isn't that the way big business works?
My husband handles millions of dollars worth of investments and clients for his company. But if he screws up tomorrow, he is out of a job.
If you don't like your employer, find another one.

tailfins
12-02-2014, 11:26 AM
Isn't that the way big business works?
My husband handles millions of dollars worth of investments and clients for his company. But if he screws up tomorrow, he is out of a job.
If you don't like your employer, find another one.

You would be amazed how many people don't know that. One big reason I'm a political conservative is that it's the ideology of rugged individualists and risk takers.

gabosaurus
12-02-2014, 01:33 PM
You would be amazed how many people don't know that. One big reason I'm a political conservative is that it's the ideology of rugged individualists and risk takers.

Some of us liberals believe in that as well.