PDA

View Full Version : Montana legislators mull 85 mph speed limit

tailfins
12-02-2014, 02:49 PM
A good luxury car is just warming up at 90 MPH. It's good to see Montana as the second 85 MPH limit state.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/12/02/montana-legislators-mull-85-mph-speed-limit

glockmail
12-02-2014, 07:29 PM
The photo in the article shows a two-lane. I don't think 85mph would be safe, a small car passing a truck in the opposite direction.

But for divided, limited access highways with good geometry and smooth pavement I think faster speeds make a lot of sense.

Jeff
12-02-2014, 07:46 PM
The photo in the article shows a two-lane. I don't think 85mph would be safe, a small car passing a truck in the opposite direction.

But for divided, limited access highways with good geometry and smooth pavement I think faster speeds make a lot of sense.

Now a days with trucking companies turning there trucks down to 63 MPH a 85 MPH road is going to become very dangerous, heck half of these trucks create a hazard on a 70 mph highway

glockmail
12-02-2014, 09:48 PM
Now a days with trucking companies turning there trucks down to 63 MPH a 85 MPH road is going to become very dangerous, heck half of these trucks create a hazard on a 70 mph highway
On German autobahns trucks can only use the right lane. Drivers speed up to pass, get in the left lane and then quickly move back to the right and slow back to their cruising speed. Enforcement of these behaviors, IMO, is an integral step to achieving a fast highway that is also safe.

I was in Germany two weeks ago and rode in a bus from Passau to Munich. Our driver was maintaining about 70mph (my guess) while cars were passing us at least 10mph faster. Some passed us 50mph or so faster...

Jeff
12-03-2014, 07:46 AM
On German autobahns trucks can only use the right lane. Drivers speed up to pass, get in the left lane and then quickly move back to the right and slow back to their cruising speed. Enforcement of these behaviors, IMO, is an integral step to achieving a fast highway that is also safe.

I was in Germany two weeks ago and rode in a bus from Passau to Munich. Our driver was maintaining about 70mph (my guess) while cars were passing us at least 10mph faster. Some passed us 50mph or so faster...

All depends on the road way, if ya look at 81 going fro VA to PA more than half the wrecks are because trucks are holding the 4 wheelers that are in to much of a hurry to wait for a safe passing area, when you have traffic that can't run faster than say 65 and the speed limit is 85 you are going to have trouble.

glockmail
12-03-2014, 08:52 AM
All depends on the road way, if ya look at 81 going fro VA to PA more than half the wrecks are because trucks are holding the 4 wheelers that are in to much of a hurry to wait for a safe passing area, when you have traffic that can't run faster than say 65 and the speed limit is 85 you are going to have trouble. That's what I'm saying. The driving laws and attitudes have to change to be more like Germany for these high speeds to be safe. The way it is now truckers think nothing of trying to pass another at the start of an uphill, losing speed and then slowing the whole road to 10 below the limit. And "leftists" park themselves in the passing lane and don't pass anyone, and screw the rest of the world.

tailfins
12-03-2014, 08:55 AM
All depends on the road way, if ya look at 81 going fro VA to PA more than half the wrecks are because trucks are holding the 4 wheelers that are in to much of a hurry to wait for a safe passing area, when you have traffic that can't run faster than say 65 and the speed limit is 85 you are going to have trouble.

I-81 is the alternate route for travelling DC-Boston (picking up I-84 in Scranton through CT, then Mass. Pike), there is no comparison to I-90 and I-15 through Montana. I-90 & I-15 are 950 miles in a state with population of barely 1 million. I-81 is 850 miles through states totaling (I'm guessing) 40 million population.