PDA

View Full Version : Exhibit highlights contributions of gay veterans

nevadamedic
06-24-2007, 09:43 PM
SAN FRANCISCO, California (AP) -- The airman's dress blues are faded, the footlocker he carried through three tours in Vietnam has gone to rust. Yet the epitaph he chose to mark his grave is still as fresh as today's headlines:

"When I was in the military they gave me a medal for killing two men and a discharge for loving one."

Leonard Matlovich's medals, uniform and other personal effects make up the centerpiece of "Out Ranks," a new exhibit that documents the tortured relationship between gay troops and the U.S. military from World War II to the present.

Matlovich, who died in 1988, was a decorated Air Force sergeant who came out to his commanding officer a month before the fall of Saigon, hoping to challenge the government's ban on gay service members. In 1975, the idea of an openly gay combat veteran was incongruous enough to land him on the cover of Time magazine.

The goal of the show is to illustrate that gays have always served their country, often with honor and always under the threat of dishonorable discharge. It opened at the GLBT Historical Society on June 14, Flag Day, as momentum builds in Congress for repealing the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell, Don't Pursue" policy adopted under President Bill Clinton.

"People are afraid of change. This is not a change," said Steve Clark Hall, a U.S. Naval Academy graduate and retired nuclear submarine captain whose story also is told in the exhibit.

Full Story...........
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/06/21/gay.veterans.ap/index.html

82Marine89
06-24-2007, 09:47 PM
Matlovich, who died in 1988, was a decorated Air Force sergeant who came out to his commanding officer a month before the fall of Saigon, hoping to challenge the government's ban on gay service members. In 1975, the idea of an openly gay combat veteran was incongruous enough to land him on the cover of Time magazine.

On June 22, 1988 just a month before his 45th birthday, Matlovich died of complications from HIV/AIDS. He died because of a social disease that runs rampant in the gay community.

nevadamedic
06-24-2007, 10:05 PM
On June 22, 1988 just a month before his 45th birthday, Matlovich died of complications from HIV/AIDS. He died because of a social disease that runs rampant in the gay community.

What happened to don't ask don't tell? :dunno: I say if they really want things to go in their ass they should visit their proctologist regularly. :laugh2:

Lightning Waltz
06-25-2007, 05:30 AM
What happened to don't ask don't tell? :dunno: I say if they really want things to go in their ass they should visit their proctologist regularly. :laugh2:

Way to support the troops...

nevadamedic
07-16-2007, 10:35 PM
Way to support the troops...

I do support the troops.