PDA

View Full Version : You Can’t Detox Your Body

5stringJeff
12-05-2014, 07:37 PM
Whether it’s cucumbers splashing into water or models sitting smugly next to a pile of vegetables, it’s tough not to be sucked in by the detox industry. The idea that you can wash away your calorific sins is the perfect antidote to our fast-food lifestyles and alcohol-lubricated social lives. But before you dust off that juicer or take the first tentative steps towards a colonic irrigation clinic, there’s something you should know: detoxing – the idea that you can flush your system of impurities and leave your organs squeaky clean and raring to go – is a scam. It’s a pseudo-medical concept designed to sell you things.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/dec/05/detox-myth-health-diet-science-ignorance

Gunny
04-24-2015, 02:38 PM
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/dec/05/detox-myth-health-diet-science-ignorance

Sure you can. Not to perfection. But there are plenty of things you can do to make it less toxic.

DLT
04-24-2015, 02:46 PM

Maybe not 100%....but you can to a degree.

You can drink detox tea with herbs that flush and remove impurities. Remember, the drug industry is based on such herbs and plants.

You can take detox baths/soaks = Epsom salts and baking soda (and ginger and cayenne).

My best friend swears by those detox foot patches.

Every little bit (of healthy practices) helps.

Rat
07-10-2015, 10:45 AM
Few times year I detox by going on 10 day water fast. Do not try without doctor supervision but it great for cleansing body.

revelarts
07-10-2015, 11:07 AM
You can see painters detox their skin in saunas and steam rooms as they literally sweat out paint from their pours.

revelarts
07-10-2015, 11:12 AM
"Collins guffaws at the notion of superfoods. “Most people think that you should restrict or pay particular attention to certain food groups, but this is totally not the case,” she says. “The ultimate lifestyle ‘detox’ is not smoking, exercising and enjoying a healthy balanced diet like the Mediterranean diet.”Close your eyes, if you will, and imagine a Mediterranean diet. A red chequered table cloth adorned with meats, fish, olive oil, cheeses, salads, wholegrain cereals, nuts and fruits. All these foods give the protein, amino acids, unsaturated fats, fibre, starches, vitamins and minerals to keep the body – and your immune system, the biggest protector from ill-health – functioning perfectly."....

Dr's 40-50 years ago would have guffawed at that advise.
Dr's seem to be 20 years behind the curve on a lot of these issues.

https://s3-eu5.ixquick.com/cgi-bin/serveimage?url=http://cdn.lifeinthefastlane.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Doctor-Smoking-Camels.jpeg&sp=1c466d2d8b50758a90e000559fe18820

Gunny
07-10-2015, 12:17 PM
Dr's 40-50 years ago would have guffawed at that advise.
Dr's seem to be 20 years behind the curve on a lot of these issues.

https://s3-eu5.ixquick.com/cgi-bin/serveimage?url=http://cdn.lifeinthefastlane.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Doctor-Smoking-Camels.jpeg&sp=1c466d2d8b50758a90e000559fe18820

Judging more people by the pasts of their ancestors, are you? You newbies need to quit judging people and look in the mirror. We might smoke and have no hair, but we're more men than you'll ever amount to.

jimnyc
07-10-2015, 12:42 PM
I found the sauna to be the best and most natural way, avoiding some of the crap that manufacturers try to put inside of us. Not only does it help with getting rid of water and other toxins, but makes you feel great afterwards. Go there a night after drinking, you'll smell the alcohol come out. I went religiously when I quit smoking and for the first couple of weeks the smell was kinda gross. Lots of crap gets caught up in our bodies that detoxing as such can help get rid of.

But I don't recommend the weird shit that's sold in a lot of places. Outside of the sauna, I could only recommend some natural teas that help as well, lots of green teas.

And like Rat pointed out, some will go on food/water fasting. I think it was FJ? That told me about a diet where you could eat all you want for 4 days out of the week, but then fast for 3 days.

Gunny
07-10-2015, 01:08 PM
I found the sauna to be the best and most natural way, avoiding some of the crap that manufacturers try to put inside of us. Not only does it help with getting rid of water and other toxins, but makes you feel great afterwards. Go there a night after drinking, you'll smell the alcohol come out. I went religiously when I quit smoking and for the first couple of weeks the smell was kinda gross. Lots of crap gets caught up in our bodies that detoxing as such can help get rid of.

But I don't recommend the weird shit that's sold in a lot of places. Outside of the sauna, I could only recommend some natural teas that help as well, lots of green teas.

And like Rat pointed out, some will go on food/water fasting. I think it was FJ? That told me about a diet where you could eat all you want for 4 days out of the week, but then fast for 3 days.

The sauna is a temporary relief for subcutaneous fat. Most people drink it back on within an hour of the sauna.

Internal cleansing is just that, but people fool themselves into believing fasting and water works. Try some epson salts. On a Friday cuz you ain't going to work the next day. If you want all that 48-72 hours of convoluted torture in the name of cleansing, knock yourself out.

I'll hold your coat cuz I ain't going down with you.:laugh:

jimnyc
07-10-2015, 02:03 PM
The sauna is a temporary relief for subcutaneous fat. Most people drink it back on within an hour of the sauna.

Internal cleansing is just that, but people fool themselves into believing fasting and water works. Try some epson salts. On a Friday cuz you ain't going to work the next day. If you want all that 48-72 hours of convoluted torture in the name of cleansing, knock yourself out.

I'll hold your coat cuz I ain't going down with you.:laugh:

Oh, no doubt! I lost lots of pounds by sweating and the sauna, and simply drinking fluids would bring most of it right back. But at least you still get rid of the poisonous crap, or at least some of it. For "me" it wasn't about fasting and such, but rather cleaning the toxins and making me feel better.

I found the best part of a sauna is after a tough workout. I would feel all tight and sore after a workout, but then sit in the sauna as long as I could, and then a shower, and I felt so much better. It's also good for the skin too, as a lot of crap, just from what is in our air, ends up in the skin.

But complete fasting? Not for me, my fat ass needs food!

fj1200
07-14-2015, 06:52 PM

Something like that but it wasn't three days straight IIRC.

WiccanLiberal
07-14-2015, 07:20 PM
Every time I see some of these quack advertisers, I think of my Grandpa Roy and his telling me that his mother (my Welsh Great Grandma ) used to swear by a spring tonic for all the family. Essentially what it amounted to was a good dose of laxative. That is what most of these concoctions amount to. As such, they can be extremely dangerous if not taken properly and with sufficient attention to hydration and electrolytes. Here's my take on it after more than 30 years in the health field, FWIW. Sauna by all means is a great help for the mind and the body. It promotes a natural process for the body to lose salts and excess water. If you are feeling constipated, a good laxative will be a relief in many ways. But better by far is to correct the basic problem. Eliminate any medications that may be contributing to the problem, especially opiates. Increase fiber and fluids. Moderate your food intake in all areas. Do not expect a diet overly heavy or light in any area to be healthy. Eliminate white sugar as much as you can. It adds nothing but unnecessary calories. Juice or water fasts periodically may be a good idea for some but consult an MD or nutritionist before doing so. I have lost 65 pounds since last year by moderating my diet and increasing my exercise. Your body produces waste products by metabolizing the food you consume. These wastes are the toxins these snake oil salesmen are talking about. And a reasonably healthy body eliminates them all by itself through respiration, perspiration, urination and stool. Moderation is not a sexy or catchy message. You can't make a crap ton of money off it. Hence the advertisers who tell you how for $19.95 you too can have their miracle pill or drink or whatever.