PDA

View Full Version : Why did Pearl Harbor attack happen? Do the causes still exist?

Little-Acorn
12-07-2014, 12:19 PM
The historical record is grimly clear: In 1937 and earlier, the Japanese government attacked its neighbors to try to take what they had, by force. It's the same reason nearly every war in history has been fought. The U.S. (which had been selling them scrap metal and oil, the very materials they needed to continue their war of aggression) withdrew all support from them, for obvious and legitimate reasons.

Then the Japanese were faced with a choice: With their main source of fuel and armaments materials cut off, they could abandon their aggression, or continue it. They made the wrong choice, deciding to attack the Philippines, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Singapore etc. where they could steal those materials. And they also attacked the American Navy in Pearl Harbor first, specifically to destroy the big warships so we could not interfere with their "Southern Resource Area" strategy.

The Pearl Harbor attack was a part of the usual big-government agenda to steal stuff from the people who produced it. And we continue to see that agenda in group after group of big-government leftists, in countries all over the world, to this day. In some, the quest of theft and aggression against the will of the people takes on absurd irony as the thieves proclaim their acts are the "civilized" way to do things. They aren't "stealing", they are merely "redistributing" or "spreading the wealth around" - a distinction without a difference.

As long as leftist big-government elites keep believing that theft is a good way to treat their neighbors and subjects, and the neighbors see that building up defensive forces to deter them is necessary, Pearl-Harbor-type attacks will always be possible.

And no matter how well the lies and surprise attacks are carried out (as they unquestionable were in Dec. 7, 1941), they will always be wrong. And bloody.

NightTrain
12-07-2014, 01:05 PM
Cutting off their oil supply was their main reason to launch Pearl Harbor to secure their own access to oil because they only had a few months worth stockpiled, and of course it was a very stupid thing to do with our industrial strength and population. Yamamoto knew it when he gave the famous statement : "I fear all we have done is to awaken the sleeping giant and filled him with a terrible resolve."

Something I didn't know until recently was that he also said that hitting Pearl Harbor would allow him to "Run wild for 6 months, after that I have no expectation of success." Interestingly, it was exactly 6 months later on June 7 that the Battle of Midway ended with a stunning defeat for the Japanese Navy that spelled doom for their chances of success. He was quite prophetic in his misgivings.

While Yamamoto was the architect of Pearl Harbor attack, he saw no honor or possible path to victory in it and was extremely reluctant - he did as he was ordered to do, and he did his job quite well. The largest flaw in the Pearl Harbor attack is that the final wave of planes weren't sent in to destroy our petroleum reserves, and destroying Naval facilities to prevent us from repairing what ships were salvageable. Of course, missing our Aircraft Carriers because they didn't happen to be in port was a very unlucky circumstance for the Japanese, as well.

I would say that, yes, the causes still exist. Someone else's resources have always been a huge carrot for leaders of countries wishing to expand their power and power-mad leaders historically don't have any qualms with throwing away thousands, even millions of lives in order to attain their goal.

North Korea wouldn't hesitate for a minute to launch another offensive to take control of South Korea if they thought that they could somehow avoid U.S. intervention, which is why they're trying to get long range ICBMs to threaten North America... missile defense has seriously put the kabosh on that idea, though. NK wants SK's infrastructure and economy, because being a commie doesn't compete with a capitalist economy. Giving up communism means giving up power, and that's not going to happen, so the next logical step is to take someone else's stuff.

I would point to Putin's maneuverings and China's aggressive behavior lately that are driven by their lust for more resources that they didn't have, and both countries could possibly spark a worldwide conflict as nations around the world take sides... and the next worldwide conflict will have the unthinkable nuclear catastrophe in the equation.

KarlMarx
12-07-2014, 08:04 PM
The attack on Pearl Harbor gave FDR just what he wanted, a reason to go to war.He had been helping the British fight the Nazis, although indirectly, through the lend lease program. After Pearl Harbor, Hitler declared war on us and the rest is history.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-07-2014, 10:35 PM
Cutting off their oil supply was their main reason to launch Pearl Harbor to secure their own access to oil because they only had a few months worth stockpiled, and of course it was a very stupid thing to do with our industrial strength and population. Yamamoto knew it when he gave the famous statement : "I fear all we have done is to awaken the sleeping giant and filled him with a terrible resolve."

Something I didn't know until recently was that he also said that hitting Pearl Harbor would allow him to "Run wild for 6 months, after that I have no expectation of success." Interestingly, it was exactly 6 months later on June 7 that the Battle of Midway ended with a stunning defeat for the Japanese Navy that spelled doom for their chances of success. He was quite prophetic in his misgivings.

While Yamamoto was the architect of Pearl Harbor attack, he saw no honor or possible path to victory in it and was extremely reluctant - he did as he was ordered to do, and he did his job quite well. The largest flaw in the Pearl Harbor attack is that the final wave of planes weren't sent in to destroy our petroleum reserves, and destroying Naval facilities to prevent us from repairing what ships were salvageable. Of course, missing our Aircraft Carriers because they didn't happen to be in port was a very unlucky circumstance for the Japanese, as well.

I would say that, yes, the causes still exist. Someone else's resources have always been a huge carrot for leaders of countries wishing to expand their power and power-mad leaders historically don't have any qualms with throwing away thousands, even millions of lives in order to attain their goal.

North Korea wouldn't hesitate for a minute to launch another offensive to take control of South Korea if they thought that they could somehow avoid U.S. intervention, which is why they're trying to get long range ICBMs to threaten North America... missile defense has seriously put the kabosh on that idea, though. NK wants SK's infrastructure and economy, because being a commie doesn't compete with a capitalist economy. Giving up communism means giving up power, and that's not going to happen, so the next logical step is to take someone else's stuff.

I would point to Putin's maneuverings and China's aggressive behavior lately that are driven by their lust for more resources that they didn't have, and both countries could possibly spark a worldwide conflict as nations around the world take sides... and the next worldwide conflict will have the unthinkable nuclear catastrophe in the equation.

China is now gearing its military to expand its naval force and take territory. It has been planning and arming with its primary future opponent to be USA.. How's that for a trading partner , supposed(by lefties) ally? How's that for a nation we have sent our manufacturing base to? In ten years time if Russia and China allied they'd be able to beat us if we refused to use nukes in such a conflict. Reason that is possible is the going plan is to keep weakening us and another ten years, especially should another stinking Dem have 8 years as President we would be several times weaker as they had grown much , much stronger.
If China purges its looming problem-- -the muzzie scum-- ,secures its path at home, continues its military advancement and buildup , and continue on their current path the odds of a real alliance with Russia against us increases many fold..-Tyr