PDA

View Full Version : A Medical Perspective on the Garner Tragedy

red states rule
12-08-2014, 04:47 AM
More facts for the liberal media, the race baiters, and thugs in the street to ignore

snip

Having reviewed the video several times now, and being a physician who specialized in the surgery of the very obese, I believe that the cause of Mr. Garner's death was not "police brutality" or negligence, but rather the unfortunate synergy between his disease of morbid obesity and actions most police perform countless times with only transient discomfort to the arrestee. The decision of the Grand Jury was reasonable.

Mr. Garner's demise was the consequence of a confluence of many factors, most of which were beyond the ken of a policeman, and which occurred in devastatingly rapid sequence.

Eric Garner was very obese, said to weigh at least 350 pounds. In fact, based upon his height and appearance, he very likely weighed more than that, but very few bathroom scales read high enough to accurately measure weight of that magnitude. By simple observation, one could see that his abdomen was very large and protuberant. His chest was similarly blanketed with a heavy layer of fat, and he had no visible neck – no indentation under his jaw, typically present in non-obese persons, which permits application of a "chokehold," to briefly arrest the carotid circulation to render him unconscious and manageable. The chokehold was ineffective as a control, but it served to take him to the ground by leverage.
Medically, he was said to suffer from sleep apnea, and he may well also have Pickwickian Syndrome (less picturesquely, "Obesity-hypoventilation syndrome"), which can cause resting hypoxia; low blood oxygen levels, even at rest; and altered physiological responses to high levels of carbon dioxide in the blood. These conditions in turn lead to congestive heart failure and to sporadic loss of consciousness. Yet another diagnosis was acute and chronic bronchial asthma, which can be activated by any acute stress, and which would further impair his respiration.

An obese male of Mr. Garner's size has enormously powerful muscle strength. Just lifting himself out of a chair requires pressing 350 lbs.! His legs each lift at least 350 lbs. with every step. He was almost certainly far stronger than any of the officers attempting to arrest him, and that required that they exert significant force to subdue him.

Unfortunately, when Mr. Garner became unconscious from hypoxia and carbon dioxide narcosis, the officers appeared bewildered and evidently did not realize that Mr. Garner was rapidly dying from cessation of his breathing and then of his cardiac activity.

The subsequent post-mortem examination is said to have shown no evidence of injury to either the larynx or the hyoid bone, which is almost always fractured in cases of strangulation. Mr. Garner is said to have died from "chest compression" and associated heart disease.

Few persons, undoubtedly including most police officers and even Mr. Garner, would understand the gravity and complex pathophysiology of this condition, and the rapidity with which it can become irreversible, unless an airway and mechanical ventilation can be quickly administered – and establishing an airway in a very obese person is itself extremely challenging even under ideal conditions, such as in an operating room, let alone on the sidewalk.

Eric Garner's death had essentially nothing to do with racism or racial animosity, particularly when one can see an African-American female sergeant, in charge at the scene, standing and observing the arrest in the background. Ultimately, as the senior officer on the scene, she was responsible for Mr. Garner's safety, although it would be unreasonable to incriminate her, either, given the obscure physiology of the chain of events that led to his unfortunate demise.

Needless to say, the facts will have little influence on racial demagogues, such as Al Sharpton and President Obama, as they seek to racially divide our nation and generate racial hatred.

http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2014/12/a_medical_perspective_on_the_garner_tragedy.html

Jeff
12-08-2014, 05:34 AM
Red I agree with most of what you post but just can't do it on this one, should the man of been arrested, Yes did they need to wrestle with him, maybe so but did they need to kill him, nope . This man was on the ground and at that point should of been cuffed and the cop holding him around the neck ( for his own safety ) should of let loose. I am in total agreement that if the guy didn't do anything wrong he wouldn't of been in that predicament in the first place but after watching the video over and over the cops had control of him and the officer could of easily let go of his neck. 99% of all these cases I stand on the side of the police but yes there are bad cops and this cop seemed to be able to show his manhood by holding down a guy that in all honestly shouldn't of been a threat to the officers ( due to the number of officers and his health )

What is a shame is while all this trash in Ferguson ( where the cop was 100% right ) the media will keep showing this where the cop didn't need to go over board, and again 99.9% of the time I stand with the police but then you have a cop like this and it hurts all the good the police do.

red states rule
12-09-2014, 03:03 AM
Red I agree with most of what you post but just can't do it on this one, should the man of been arrested, Yes did they need to wrestle with him, maybe so but did they need to kill him, nope . This man was on the ground and at that point should of been cuffed and the cop holding him around the neck ( for his own safety ) should of let loose. I am in total agreement that if the guy didn't do anything wrong he wouldn't of been in that predicament in the first place but after watching the video over and over the cops had control of him and the officer could of easily let go of his neck. 99% of all these cases I stand on the side of the police but yes there are bad cops and this cop seemed to be able to show his manhood by holding down a guy that in all honestly shouldn't of been a threat to the officers ( due to the number of officers and his health )

What is a shame is while all this trash in Ferguson ( where the cop was 100% right ) the media will keep showing this where the cop didn't need to go over board, and again 99.9% of the time I stand with the police but then you have a cop like this and it hurts all the good the police do.

Jeff allow me to clarify one point (as I posted on another thread)

To me, the Police did over react. The moment Garner was on the pavement the Police Officer should have released the hold and cuffed him. If you want to challenge the arrest you do it at Police HQ. Submit to the arrest and do as you are told

That being said, the autopsy report shows he did not die as a result of the hold - thus no indictment. Of course many on the left (like MSNBC and Rev AL) ignore the medical findings and choose instead to pour gas on the race fire they are trying to build up