PDA

View Full Version : Intense pain

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-08-2014, 06:24 AM
I slipped and fell last Thursday morning, skinned my knee and hit my left-side ribcage on the bumper of a car.
So as to not alarm my son I shook it off took him on into daycare and went on back home. Each day since then the pain has increased in my leftside--now to the point that its almost unbearable. I had some leftover pain meds from a previous back strain a couple months ago--have been taking them these last four days but know its so bad they have absolutely no effect.
I think I may have cracked a couple ribs . Heading in to see my primary care physician this morning as I can no longer take this damn pain. Feels like a bone stabbing me in my left side as I breathe. cuts like a knife feeling..
Something is up when pain meds that strong have no damn discernible effect.
I knew Friday to go to the doc but do so dearly hate to go to see doctor. Was a major mistake due to my stubbornness.. Wife was right( yet again) when she advised me to get it checked out but no -I had to be stubborn and insist to let it improve on its on. It went the opposite direction ..
signed, me the dumbass

Abbey Marie
12-08-2014, 06:35 AM
My father fell and broke 5 ribs. The hospital put a Lidocaine (sp?) patch on the area, and the pain relief is remarkable.

Get thee to the doctor, Tyr.
And feel better!

Perianne
12-08-2014, 07:30 AM
I so hope you are okay, sir. :(

NightTrain
12-08-2014, 10:11 AM
Sounds like broken ribs to me.

Yeah, get to the doc and have him tape up your ribcage! Sharp broken bones poking your lung and other organs is no bueno.

And I'm sure you don't wanna hear it, Tyr, because it sounds like your wife is already harping to you about it, but you gotta lose that old-school mentality of not going to the doc when something is obviously wrong. My Dad never went to the doc unless he was spurting blood and his whole life he would tough it out, and that was ultimately what nailed him at the end... he kept telling himself he just had a bad flu (for months!) until he passed out in a truckstop somewhere on the East Coast and woke up in the hospital with docs telling him he had lung cancer. It would have been easy to beat if he'd just gone into the doc as soon as he knew there was something wrong.

Yeah, Abbey, those Lidocaine patches are wonderful. That's the best topical painkiller I've ever used by far.

Hope you feel better, Tyr!

jimnyc
12-08-2014, 01:25 PM
I slipped and fell last Thursday morning, skinned my knee and hit my left-side ribcage on the bumper of a car.
So as to not alarm my son I shook it off took him on into daycare and went on back home. Each day since then the pain has increased in my leftside--now to the point that its almost unbearable. I had some leftover pain meds from a previous back strain a couple months ago--have been taking them these last four days but know its so bad they have absolutely no effect.
I think I may have cracked a couple ribs . Heading in to see my primary care physician this morning as I can no longer take this damn pain. Feels like a bone stabbing me in my left side as I breathe. cuts like a knife feeling..
Something is up when pain meds that strong have no damn discernible effect.
I knew Friday to go to the doc but do so dearly hate to go to see doctor. Was a major mistake due to my stubbornness.. Wife was right( yet again) when she advised me to get it checked out but no -I had to be stubborn and insist to let it improve on its on. It went the opposite direction ..
signed, me the dumbass

If not broken I am sure they are bruised pretty well. At the very least, wrap it in an ace bandage and apply a lot of heat while lying down. Even bruised ribs can't hurt like a bastard! Feel better.

Jeff
12-08-2014, 05:33 PM
Feel better brother

Kathianne
12-08-2014, 09:04 PM
Tyr, hope you've found the results by now. I know you'll get through whatever it is. Prayers your way.

aboutime
12-08-2014, 09:23 PM
Tyr. Please don't mess with it. I know doctors are expensive, but so is Staying Alive. I once fell from a ladder while working in a tree. Slammed into the tree and fractured two ribs that I ignored until I couldn't stand to breathe anymore. The doc told me I was milimeters from puncturing my left lung. And pnumonia would have followed, which...for your information. Can also be deadly.

Don't think it will go away. If you have any bruising. Think of your family, if you are too Macho to admit it's out of your control. We need you here to keep all of us ON THE LEVEL....And ALIVE.

glockmail
12-08-2014, 09:26 PM
I fell in a gopher hole in the woods behind my house last year when I taking my daily walk in the woods next to my house. At my age reaction times aren't what they used to be. I did manage to avoid hitting my face on the tree but I landed on a large tree branch, impacting the left side of my rib cage. It knocked the wind out of me and I couldn't breathe for almost a full minute. I didn't break a rib but rattled the connection of my rib to my back which caused terrible pain. My doctor checked me out and prescribed some strong stuff. I only took one of those- threw me for a loop- and continued on OTC meds.

I'm 54 and it took a good 4-5 weeks to get back to normal. You can use that to gauge how long it will take you.

LongTermGuy
12-08-2014, 09:47 PM
`You tough old Bird....*I know you have experienced worse...Go see the medic let him/her perform the needed magic......The pain will be gone soon.....

http://eaglegiftsgalore.net/T%20Shirts/Old%20Bird.gif

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-09-2014, 11:16 AM
First, my thanks to all my friends that commented here and gave their advice and expressed their concern.

I went to doc, was sent elsewhere for x-ray and the good news is no ribs broken. Bad news is banged up and very badly bruised, I was given 4 prescription meds to take. The best one is the very strong pain med as now it doesn't hurt when I breathe or move around. I have to be careful for the next ten days , take all my meds until they are gone. No heavy lifting, no undue hard exercise(wife frowns--tomorrow is our ten year wedding anniversary) , the coconut dancing will have to be put off a few days.. , doc said :no: to that hanky panky stuff until after I heal.
Little did he know that will make me heal ten times faster.;)
As I feel a miracle taking place now so our "alone time" just may still ring a bell tomorrow night. :laugh:
I can just pop in three pain meds and feel no pain. ;)

Thanks for the concern and advice my friends. I will make sure to do as doc told me- except maybe just one exercise one time tomorrow night can be squeezed in. ;) See, I am always thinking of the feelings of others(wouldn't want to deprive my sweet wife of her best gift).. - ;)-Tyr

Jeff
12-09-2014, 02:04 PM
Glad it wasn't more serious and Happy Anniversary to you and the Misses

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-09-2014, 02:19 PM
Thanks, feeling pretty good now, just took another pain med about 45 minutes ago.
Had I told Riza what the doc said there would be no chance of any "monkey dancing" tomorrow night. But I think with both heads. I told her he said a little bit of exercise would be good for me in a day or two!:laugh: Just be careful and don't overdue it.. ;)
A little, white lie told so as not to deny her that which she so greatly deserves!
That's me , always thinking of others...-Tyr

gabosaurus
12-09-2014, 04:42 PM

I certainly hope you have gotten yourself a proper check up and are feeling better now.
It could be worse. You could be stuck in a cold hospital room with MSNBC playing.

aboutime
12-09-2014, 05:00 PM
I certainly hope you have gotten yourself a proper check up and are feeling better now.
It could be worse. You could be stuck in a cold hospital room with MSNBC playing.

Right you are gabby. Or, in a morgue with you.

Kathianne
12-09-2014, 09:36 PM

I second what Jeff said!

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-22-2014, 10:51 AM
Three days now gone by and absolutely no remaining problems from my injury two weeks ago.
Feels great to have ended ten days of meds too.
My wife made me take the rest of them the last few days... I being well past ready to stop since all pain had gone a few days before.
Man, when she insists on something , one had better tow the mark and walk the line! :laugh:--Tyr

LongTermGuy
12-22-2014, 09:13 PM
Three days now gone by and absolutely no remaining problems from my injury two weeks ago.
Feels great to have ended ten days of meds too.
My wife made me take the rest of them the last few days... I being well past ready to stop since all pain had gone a few days before.
Man, when she insists on something , one had better tow the mark and walk the line! :laugh:--Tyr

I told you.....:laugh:

`You tough old Bird....*I know you have experienced worse...Go see the medic let him/her perform the needed magic......The pain will be gone soon.....

http://eaglegiftsgalore.net/T%20Shirts/Old%20Bird.gif