PDA

View Full Version : Cat's licking himself to death!

glockmail
12-08-2014, 08:13 AM
He's about 14 now, fat and lazy. Has taken the habit of licking himself raw. A few months ago he did his paw like that and we bandaged it up, he'd work at the bandage, etc. and it took about three weeks of fighting him for it to heal. Now he's worked his elbow raw and we can't bandage it up so that he can't pull it right off. Last night the kids put a paper plate over his head and he's going to have to live like that when we're around to supervise him. But next month we're going away for a week and he's going to have to survive with just the neighbor stopping in to fill his water and food bowls.

Perianne
12-08-2014, 08:20 AM
Allergies?

jimnyc
12-08-2014, 01:28 PM
Shamelessly stealing this as I hope it can help your kitty!!

----

Most cats are meticulous groomers, but what happens when the behavior goes into overdrive? For a variety of reasons, some cat licking, scratching, and chewing behaviors become compulsive, which can annoy you and damage your pet’s skin and coat.

If your cat is scratching, licking, or chewing herself compulsively, it is likely you regularly catch her in the act. But if you don’t, your first clue may be the disappearance of your cat’s fur, often in strips along her back or stomach. Cats with self-mutilating behaviors may also cause red, irritated areas called hot spots to form, but they are less likely than dogs to do so.

Although compulsive cat scratching, licking, or chewing behaviors can develop in any animal, they are more commonly observed in Siamese cats and other Oriental breeds. Female cats are more likely than males to lick, chew, or pull on their fur.

Because there are a number of medical problems that may result in scratching and licking behaviors, be sure to consult with your veterinarian to help determine the cause and the best course of action.

Parasites.Fleas are often the culprits behind compulsive cat scratching or cat licking behaviors. Because cats are excellent groomers, they may actually remove all traces of fleas. If you notice your cat licking his lower back obsessively, with or without scabs on the neck, it is a sign that fleas might be causing the problem. Other parasites, including ticks, mites, and ringworm, can also prompt scratching, licking, or chewing.

Allergies. Just as some people develop skin irritations in response to certain foods or environmental triggers, cats may have itchy, irritated skin if they are allergic to something in their environment.

Dry skin. Dry winter air or nutritional inadequacies can contribute to dry, flaky skin that gets your cat started licking or scratching in search of relief.

Pain. If you notice your cat licking or biting at the same spot over and over again, it could be that he is experiencing pain or discomfort in that area.

Boredom, anxiety, or compulsive disorder. Compulsive cat chewing, scratching, or licking behaviors often develop in cats who are bored, stressed, or anxious. These mental disorders are more likely to occur in indoor cats, which may be due to the fact that they receive less exercise and excitement than outdoor cats. Compulsive disorders often begin when there are changes in a cat’s environment, including a new animal or baby in the house or a move to a new location. Also, behaviors that started in response to a medical problem sometimes persist as compulsions after the condition is resolved.

Eliminating parasites. Because it can be difficult to diagnose flea infestation in cats, some veterinarians recommend trying reliable flea control products purchased from a veterinary office for six to eight weeks to see if it reduces the incidence of licking, scratching, or chewing. Similarly, treating mites or other parasites, if present, can eliminate your cat’s discomfort and the problem behaviors.

Changing foods. Putting cats that are scratching or chewing on a 6-week exclusion diet is a good way to find out whether food allergies are the problem. You may have to try several diets before you find one that works. Veterinarians may also prescribe the addition of certain fatty acids or other nutritional supplements if dry skin is to blame for your cat’s incessant scratching and licking. No other foods or treats should be offered during an exclusion diet trial.

Using medication. Depending on the extent of skin damage your cat has caused by licking, chewing, or scratching, your veterinarian may prescribe the use of steroids, antihistamines, and antibiotics. Additionally, some compulsive cat behaviors caused by psychological factors can be addressed with clomipramine, an anti-anxiety medication, or amitriptyline, which helps fight anxiety and also functions as an antihistamine.

Addressing anxiety or boredom. If you and your vet determine that there is no physical cause for your pet's behaviors, there are things you can do to improve your cat’s state of mind. Making sure your cat feels safe, loved, and comfortable in your home is important, as is providing adequate stimulation and exercise. You may find that desensitizing your cat by slowly and carefully exposing her to things she fears can be beneficial. Be careful to take baby steps if you try this so as not to overwhelm your cat and make the compulsive licking, scratching or biting worse. Counter-conditioning, by training your cat to associate something pleasurable, like a treat, with something he fears may also help reduce stress and anxiety. Many times, boredom licking (also known as psychogenic alopecia) is improved by adding another cat or pet. But, there is always the risk that the second cat could be a new stress in your pet's environment that could make the hair loss worse.

http://pets.webmd.com/cats/guide/cats-and-compulsive-scratching-licking-and-chewing?page=2

glockmail
12-08-2014, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the read. I'll forward to the wife.

I don't think it's fleas. I know what flea nest look like, he gets combed regularly, and he sleeps on my son's bed all the time.

It could be dry skin but we have a house humidifier going and my wife is super-sensitive to dryness.

I think he's just old and demented. A paper plate with a hole in it works surprisingly well. I take it off when I put him outside and he immeadiatly goes to licking again, but I'd rather have him hurt himself then get stuck in some bush somewhere because of the plate. It's cold outside so he's only out for 5 minutes before he scoots back in the house.

glockmail
12-10-2014, 09:14 AM
The paper plate is working like magic. His sores are healing surprisingly fast.

jimnyc
12-10-2014, 09:34 AM
The paper plate is working like magic. His sores are healing surprisingly fast.

Good to hear! Now give him some treats to spoil him! :)

glockmail
12-10-2014, 09:41 AM
Good to hear! Now give him some treats to spoil him! :)

The fat bastard isn't a treat eater, with the exception of freshly cooked liver from a chicken or turkey dinner. Even left over fish he snubs his nose at. He eats kit and kaboodle and nothing else.

A while back he was having all sorts of problems and I bought him some vet-quality food to bring him back to health. He refused to eat it. I ended up feeding it to the dog, who will eat anything except mushrooms!

jimnyc
12-10-2014, 09:47 AM
The fat bastard isn't a treat eater, with the exception of freshly cooked liver from a chicken or turkey dinner. Even left over fish he snubs his nose at. He eats kit and kaboodle and nothing else.

A while back he was having all sorts of problems and I bought him some vet-quality food to bring him back to health. He refused to eat it. I ended up feeding it to the dog, who will eat anything except mushrooms!

I'm finding similar with my new cat, who is more interested in the hard food, his "Kitten Chow", and more or less snubs his nose at the rest. Although he didn't pass up Turkey on Thanksgiving, that he enjoyed! And my Pug is the same, but with pickles. He can eat a McDonald's cheeseburger in 2 bites and somehow spit the pickle out at the end!

glockmail
12-10-2014, 09:55 AM
I'll feed my dog anything as long as it isn't bread or any wheat product. Bread turns to sugar in their mouths and rots their teeth. My dog is 13 years old, has never had her teeth cleaned and has no tartar whatsoever.

I read a book one time about Native Americans. Before the English came they thrived n a diet of fresh game, wild vegetables, and some corn products. Dental cavities were non-existent. It wasn't until they took wheat bread into their diet that they had teeth problems.

jimnyc
12-10-2014, 10:43 AM
I'll feed my dog anything as long as it isn't bread or any wheat product. Bread turns to sugar in their mouths and rots their teeth. My dog is 13 years old, has never had her teeth cleaned and has no tartar whatsoever.

I read a book one time about Native Americans. Before the English came they thrived n a diet of fresh game, wild vegetables, and some corn products. Dental cavities were non-existent. It wasn't until they took wheat bread into their diet that they had teeth problems.

I'm one of those who spoils my dogs to the point that it may be no good for them, but I'm getting better. My fat old man has like 6-8 teeth left, and his mouth smells worse than sewage. I don't know if that's from treats and human foods over the years or just simply his age.

Then again, I've found him in his earlier years chewing on rocks, literally chewing and eating dirt, of course eating poop - both dog and cat. Yes, he's a disgusting pig! But I love him. :)

glockmail
11-07-2015, 11:55 PM
Cat's still alive, now pooping daily in the house. I've restricted him to the garage and basement storage room. He shits about 6 feet away from where his food is. Or dumps a steaming pile next to my car.

gabosaurus
11-08-2015, 12:25 AM
Cat's still alive, now pooping daily in the house. I've restricted him to the garage and basement storage room. He shits about 6 feet away from where his food is. Or dumps a steaming pile next to my car.

Our cat has never pooped anyplace but the cat box. Of course, he is an indoor cat. I think outdoor cats are different.

glockmail
11-08-2015, 12:27 AM
He has a flap door from the basement to garage and another from the garage to outside.

gabosaurus
11-08-2015, 12:35 AM
Our cat is not allowed outside. Indoor cats live longer and have fewer health problems.

Elessar
11-08-2015, 02:28 AM
My one was what a vet called a tummy licker.

A med treatment for his skin helped that

glockmail
11-08-2015, 07:08 AM
Our cat is not allowed outside. Indoor cats live longer and have fewer health problems.

Typical of liberalism, want to control every aspect of their lives. My cat is 15.

glockmail
11-23-2015, 08:49 AM
Update on the pooping. He's still doing it. With T-day coming, we won't be here for 4 days, and I'm doing my best to manage the situation.

My lovely neighbor gal next door feeds our cat when we are on vacation. The last time we were on vacation was for 9 days and I had the cat confined to the basement garage, adjacent stairwell and storage room, both carpeted. I asked my neighbor to just scrape off any poop and put it in a 5 gallon pail and I'd deal with it later. When we got back the carpet was immaculate so I thought, hey, the cat didn't poop inside while we were gone. Then I found the pail and it was full of shit. My neighbor had cleaned the carpet for us.

I know that had to be a lot of work, and I don't want to take advantage of my neighbor, so this time I'm confining the cat to a small area in the garage next to the flap-door to the outside. I built a 4' high fence around the door encompassing an area roughly 3' x 5'. The door has a half-window. In there I put insulation on part of the floor where his bed will be, then lined the entire floor with cardboard. His bed will go on the insulated area (with a heated pad under it). Next to that will be his food and water. If he wants to shit inside he'll have to sleep practically on top of it. And the cardboard liner will make clean-up easy. Today I'll go to Tractor Supply and get a small heater for the space, as it's expected to be below freezing for most of the nights. I'll leave the radio on in the garage to a talk station and a small light in the far corner.

glockmail
11-26-2015, 12:20 AM
He's in his new space while we're gone. I left the outside lights on, inside off so he can see out at night through the flap door. There's several fighter cats that are hanging around out there, hell be able to keep tabs on them with this arrangement. Back in his day he'd fight them all, now he's old and slow and just wants to be left alone. I've left his claws sharp and he'll shred any cat that sticks his head in.

Elessar
11-26-2015, 12:33 AM
I would advise not letting the kit outside.

glockmail
11-26-2015, 12:37 AM
Outside is his litter box, so no, I'm not going to stop him from taking care of normal business..

glockmail
12-17-2015, 04:16 PM
It's been about three weeks and he likes his new room. He's under a lot less stress, although he is a bit lonely. His fur has grown back where he had been licking himself to death. I visit him for a minute of two twice a day and he likes that. I also leave the inside door open for him if I'm working in the garage and most of the day. I don't let him in the rest of the house at all, and the stink is gone. He still poops and pees in the garage occasionally but not as often.

The fighter cat doesn't seem to be around anymore. My strategy of leaving the outside flood lights on all night has seemed to deter him. That has probably decreased his stress level the most.

glockmail
12-29-2015, 02:38 PM
He shat in his room!

glockmail
12-31-2015, 10:57 AM
To be nice I left the door open from the garage to the basement and he took the opportunity to shit in both finished rooms and piss in one. No good deed goes unpunished.

glockmail
01-03-2016, 06:20 PM
I was gone for the long weekend and when I got back I gave him fresh food and water bowls, then cleaned up his bed, which consists of a pet bed, heating pad and two old, but clean, bath towels towels. He had shat on the top towel then rearranged it so he didn't have to sleep on the shit.

glockmail
02-19-2016, 09:04 AM
We were gone for 9 days and I aranged for my neighbor gal to take care of him. He's still in his little "apartment" (with a fan-heater) with a bed (with heating pad), food, water, walled off from the rest of the house. She stopped by daily to change his water, add food, and change out his bed with a supply of fresh towels when needed.

Man was he glad to see us get home. He licked two new parts of himself raw. He had a new scratch on his nose and I heard Bully-Cat outside the other night. My wife even felt sorry for him, and actually set up food and water for him in the kitchen. He's allowed upstairs during the day when I'm here, and sits on my lap at night while I watch TV.

No arms, legs or tail and he's still happy.