PDA

View Full Version : Mike Tyson - what a shame

jimnyc
01-07-2007, 07:38 AM
I must admit, I was a HUGE fan of his when he won the title for the first time. He seemed invincible, and was already a spectacle to watch, even if at that time it was because he was such a powerful puncher. He was troubled, we all knew it, but it was fun watching him take out larger opponents so quickly.

Then came all of his personal problems. Then his trainer/manager died. Then he was charged with rape.

Not that I condone his actions at all but I admittedly was still a boxing fan of his, and fully expected him to return to his old self in the ring when he got out of the slammer. A few decent looks from him, a snack on Holyfield's ear, and now he's all washed up. He recently got stopped for DUI and was found to be in possession of cocaine.

The man blew his big chance and will likely live the rest of his life in turmoil.

I met Mike in NYC, sort of, and got his autograph on a $5 bill. Think it's worth more than $5 now? :lmao:

Gunny
01-07-2007, 10:55 AM
I must admit, I was a HUGE fan of his when he won the title for the first time. He seemed invincible, and was already a spectacle to watch, even if at that time it was because he was such a powerful puncher. He was troubled, we all knew it, but it was fun watching him take out larger opponents so quickly.

Then came all of his personal problems. Then his trainer/manager died. Then he was charged with rape.

Not that I condone his actions at all but I admittedly was still a boxing fan of his, and fully expected him to return to his old self in the ring when he got out of the slammer. A few decent looks from him, a snack on Holyfield's ear, and now he's all washed up. He recently got stopped for DUI and was found to be in possession of cocaine.

The man blew his big chance and will likely live the rest of his life in turmoil.

I met Mike in NYC, sort of, and got his autograph on a $5 bill. Think it's worth more than $5 now? :lmao:

I pretty much agree, except ALL of his troubles began after Cus D'Amato died. He was the trainer that kept the animal in the cage. When focussed on what he was doing, he was unbeatable, and his loss to Douglas was proof positive of that.

I have and will always be of the opinion he got a railroad job on the rape conviction.

As a person, he's pretty-much an idiot who can't seem to keep himself out of trouble. I guess he got a nice payday from Sly for whatever part he played in Rocky Balboa and he could afford some nose candy.

dan
01-07-2007, 06:39 PM
Did he ask to keep that $5?:laugh:

Yeah, people like him don't need to have a lot of money, and a lot of handlers telling him how great he is constantly. I don't feel sorry for him by any means, but you can tell that in his particular case, it wasn't just him effing up his life.

That said, the guy's an animal, and if he got locked up for life, I'd feel nothing but relief.

jackass
01-08-2007, 09:46 AM

Youre welcome!

jimnyc
01-08-2007, 04:17 PM
Youre welcome!

That's correct, Chuck here was the one brave enough to tap on Iron Mike's shoulder and ask for the autograph, while he was on a leisurely stroll with his girlfriend. Sure as hell looked like Mike wanted to take a bite out of Chuck's ear!

Gotta say after seeing him up close, that is one HUGE bastard! His neck is the size of 2 normal men!

I told him to kick Chuck's ass but it didn't work in my favor. :D

jillian
01-08-2007, 04:30 PM
I pretty much agree, except ALL of his troubles began after Cus D'Amato died. He was the trainer that kept the animal in the cage. When focussed on what he was doing, he was unbeatable, and his loss to Douglas was proof positive of that.

I have and will always be of the opinion he got a railroad job on the rape conviction.

As a person, he's pretty-much an idiot who can't seem to keep himself out of trouble. I guess he got a nice payday from Sly for whatever part he played in Rocky Balboa and he could afford some nose candy.

Cuz also gave Tyson a sense of family. And once that anchor was gone, he kinda lost control. But I agree with you about Cuz's influence. I also agree with you on the rape conviction and I think that sealed the deal in terms of destroying any humanity the guy had. Thing is, if Tyson had a local lawyer, he'd have probably done fine. The jury didn't like the NY lawyer he brought in. Very sad.

jackass
01-08-2007, 05:12 PM
I told him to kick Chuck's ass but it didn't work in my favor. :D

Damn I wish he had!!!

jimnyc
01-08-2007, 05:28 PM
Damn I wish he had!!!

Me too! That would have rocked seeing you get pulverized! :laugh: