PDA

View Full Version : Congress Just Saved the A-10 Thunderbolt Warthog and That Could Be Bad News for ISIS

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-14-2014, 07:59 PM
http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/12/14/congress-just-saved-the-a-10-thunderbolt-warthog-a.aspx

Congress Just Saved the A-10 Thunderbolt Warthog -- and That Could Be Bad News for ISIS

By Rich Smith
December 14, 2014 |

Congress is working again, and the A-10 is saved.

That's the upshot of a story just out of the Military Times, which reports that House and Senate negotiators in Washington have agreed to send the president a $490 billion military budget for the current fiscal year (plus $64 billion tacked on for supplemental spending projects). The 2015 Defense Authorization Bill (NDAA) also appears to have ended debate over the future of the U.S. Air Force's fleet of 326 A-10 Thunderbolt "Warthog" close-air support fighters.
According to MT, the NDAA will forbid the Air Force from retiring its A-10s for at least one year. The Air Force may have some wiggle room to trim flight hours and maintenance on the aircraft, "but only after a readiness study is completed." Crucially, the NDAA gives the Air Force $337 million to keep the A-10 Thunderbolt Warthog operational and flying through the end of fiscal 2015.

Taking the fight to ISIS
Make that $337 million or more. The 2015 NDAA authorizes $5 billion in funding for U.S. military efforts against ISIS in Iraq and Syria. Last month, we learned that the Indiana Air National Guard's 122nd Fighter Wing sent a flight of a dozen A-10s to join the newly reactivated 332nd Air Expeditionary Group in Iraq. So it seems likely that at least some of that $5 billion will be earmarked for maintaining, upgrading, and arming those A-10s -- and paying for their flight-hours as well.

Now, 12 planes may not sound like much. But if you recall, September's "shock and awe" air campaign against ISIS targets in Syria involved airstrikes by only 48 combat aircraft -- and only 32 of them U.S. aircraft. As of today, the A-10 Thunderbolt Warthog could account for as many as 1 in 4 of U.S. combat aircraft taking the fight to ISIS.
This is big news for fans of the A-10, an armed-to-the-teeth ground attack aircraft that was originally designed by Fairchild Republic as a "tank buster" to be used against Soviet armor in the 1970s. It's probably bad news for ISIS, though. As one A-10 pilot put it, in a still-unreleased U.S. Air Force documentary on the A-10: "The A-10, just its presence alone is enough to keep the enemy at bay."

I bet Obama was too busy stirring up the blacks to riot to take time to engineer the killing of the A-10 WARTHOG.
Stirring that nationwide black unrest is so much more important than his even weakening the military on this action..
A-10 Warthog will rip ISIS new one..- :laugh: --:salute:
As a tank buster it can destroy even those captured American armored vehicles they are using now. ---:beer:, :dance: -Tyr

sundaydriver
12-15-2014, 10:12 AM
The Air Force has been trying to kill the A-10 for years claiming it doesn't fit their force profile, not sexy enough for their image.

The first time they tried doing away with it and having the F-16 take over the missions was just ridiculous as the F-16 does not have anywhere near the same mission capabilities. That fearsome cannon, only one quarter the A-10's loiter time, can't take the expected punishment and ability to surprise.

The New York National Guard used to fly their A-10's down the Delaware River into Pennsylvania to run simulated bombing runs on the PPL power plant and then do evasive low altitude terrain following maneuvers to egress the area. Soooo cool and they are such sneaky bastards. Many times they would be passing 300' overhead or past you without warning, no F16 or F-35 will ever match those abilities. The sky seems empty without them here now.

aboutime
12-15-2014, 03:35 PM
ISIS should be finding places to hide, right now.

Correction about the AIR FORCE. It wasn't the Air Force trying to get rid of the A-10. More like the Obama appointee's running the Pentagon today. The Generals of the Air Force who have been fired, or forced to retire didn't want to lose the A-10. It was a political toy the politicians, and DOD were tired of playing with due to maintenance problems.

Thankfully. The A-10 might hang around like the B-52. Both aircraft are far more worth their use these days.

sundaydriver
12-15-2014, 04:08 PM
ISIS should be finding places to hide, right now.

Correction about the AIR FORCE. It wasn't the Air Force trying to get rid of the A-10. More like the Obama appointee's running the Pentagon today. The Generals of the Air Force who have been fired, or forced to retire didn't want to lose the A-10. It was a political toy the politicians, and DOD were tired of playing with due to maintenance problems.

Thankfully. The A-10 might hang around like the B-52. Both aircraft are far more worth their use these days.

NO it was the Air Force. Their first go at it was in the late 80"s and it was saved. Then came the 91 Gulf War and the "HOLY SH*T" full realization of that aircrafts capabilities. The AF brass only wants to drop smart bombs and fire missiles, not get down in the dirt.

aboutime
12-15-2014, 04:29 PM
NO it was the Air Force. Their first go at it was in the late 80"s and it was saved. Then came the 91 Gulf War and the "HOLY SH*T" full realization of that aircrafts capabilities. The AF brass only wants to drop smart bombs and fire missiles, not get down in the dirt.

If you insist.

Esox
12-16-2014, 01:25 AM
A-10 rocks ass.

The platform is at the obvious end of its evolutionary range; the nearly indestructable subsonic fixed-wing ground supprt aircraft.

DOD should reissue the spec to build new ones.

Come get some!

http://www.surclaro.com/modules/Media_Gallery/gallery/Screenshots/CFS/hogg.jpg

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-16-2014, 02:09 PM
A-10 rocks ass.

The platform is at the obvious end of its evolutionary range; the nearly indestructable subsonic fixed-wing ground supprt aircraft.

Come get some!

I agree completely....
Its massive effectiveness was why those trying to sink it and weaken our military sought to have it mothballed!--Tyr

Elessar
12-17-2014, 12:14 PM
It would be silly and stupid to mothball these planes, given the situation that is faced over there. The other jets are too damn fast and not properly armed for ground support.

This is the best aircraft crafted for this role in 60 years! Even the F-4 Phantom (which I love)
is /was not nearly as capable.

AC-130's are great...but do not have the immediate "Fear Factor" a Warthog has!

sundaydriver
12-17-2014, 02:57 PM
One of the Air Forces goal with combat planes is to do away with the single mission aircraft.
The goal is to replace cheaper effective aircraft with much more expensive aircraft capable of multiple missions, but excelling at none.

aboutime
12-17-2014, 03:00 PM
Everyone should first, keep in mind. The AIR FORCE now operating in the Pentagon, follows, and obey's the Obama destruction policy of our military across the board.

Obama does not want a military capable of destroying his Friends in the Middle-East, or the Muslim Brotherhood, who sponsors ISIS.

So, Obama and friends must destroy our military in order to achieve the CALIPHATE his Treasonous Ignorant mind wants to form.

sundaydriver
12-17-2014, 03:08 PM
Uhhh yeah, I guess that's a good reason too. :facepalm99:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-17-2014, 06:02 PM
Everyone should first, keep in mind. The AIR FORCE now operating in the Pentagon, follows, and obey's the Obama destruction policy of our military across the board.

Obama does not want a military capable of destroying his Friends in the Middle-East, or the Muslim Brotherhood, who sponsors ISIS.

So, Obama and friends must destroy our military in order to achieve the CALIPHATE his Treasonous Ignorant mind wants to form.

Too much truth my old friend. You know, some supposed geniuses aren't gonna like that. ;)

Likely the same kind that tried to tell us what a genius Obama was. :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:--Tyr

Bilgerat
12-17-2014, 06:54 PM
This is one of the beauties back from a mission in Iraq.

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Stories1/001-100/0016_A-10-battle-damage/01.jpg

Elessar
12-17-2014, 07:18 PM

I do not fully agree with your opinion, but what I do agree with is that Obama singularly wants to negate the military and bend down like a slave to others..The others being the forces in the Middle East.

Our forces are capable, if allowed, to wipe clean that collective kiitty-litter box.

Elessar
12-17-2014, 07:24 PM
This is one of the beauties back from a mission in Iraq.

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Stories1/001-100/0016_A-10-battle-damage/01.jpg

Love that plane! Better than the P-47....

Neo
12-17-2014, 11:29 PM
A-10 rocks ass.

Come get some!

Proud to say that I guarded these babies with pride @ Patrick A.F.B. in early '81 - 83', & TALK ABOUT "WOW"!

Drummond
12-18-2014, 06:52 AM
This subject falls outside what I'm confident to express any detailed opinion about (... being British, & all that ..).

All I can basically say, is .... ANYTHING done to reduce the US's military power by the most miniscule extent imaginable, is at absolute 'best', an act of madness.

Another way of regarding such an act is to regard it as treasonous.

In today's world climate, with all of the enemies and assorted nutters out there ... to allow any measure of weakness in the face of it is a complete outrage, a sellout of the American (and Western) people. Wherever or whenever it happens, those responsible need to pay a heavy price for it. Just as I'd advocate a zero tolerance towards all terrorists, I'd advocate no less than that for those seeking any reduction in your power.

You have never needed a strong military more than at this moment. For yourselves. And for us all.

Neo
12-18-2014, 08:54 PM
Friend of mine from home (we went in on the "buddy" system) was stationed at the A.F. Air Station (can't remember its name) where he an the other Station (base) cops collected the duds @ $50 a shell, for extra $$ during off duty hours.

I thought he was nuts myself.............

sundaydriver
12-19-2014, 01:11 PM
Friend of mine from home (we went in on the "buddy" system) was stationed at the A.F. Air Station (can't remember its name) where he an the other Station (base) cops collected the duds @ $50 a shell, for extra $$ during off duty hours.

I thought he was nuts myself.............

I read somewhere that that upon completion of training for the A-10 maintenance crews they are each given a dummy 30mm round as a souvenir so in hope they never take a live round to show their friends.

sundaydriver
12-19-2014, 01:58 PM
When I see the ridiculous comments about doing away with the A-10 due to BO personally getting rid of it to save ISIS or a treasonous act to do away with any military weapon system because it will weaken the world it makes me agree with another member here about just plain lazy no thought posting.

I already posted that some of the AF brass has not liked the mission and most of the planes are 30 years and older and you can actually look it up to see. But the 800 lb. gorilla is the budget. The DOD is spending bookoo bucks on and cost overruns for many years are staggering, look it up also.

"A single Air Force F-35A costs a whopping $148 million. One Marine Corps F-35B costs an unbelievable $251 million. A lone Navy F-35C costs a mind-boggling $337 million. Average the three models together, and a 'generic' F-35 costs $178 million.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101883138# (http://www.cnbc.com/id/101883138).

And 145 mill per F-22 that we had to cut way back from 322 wanted but only getting 186 because of cost overruns or drones at 173 mill each. Cutting edge tech costs real $$ and they are on a budget and gotta get cost cutting somewhere. Ohh yeah, an F-22 helmet is 500K.