PDA

View Full Version : Hostages held in Sydney cafe, Islamic flag seen in window: local TV

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-14-2014, 08:35 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/hostages-held-sydney-cafe-islamic-flag-seen-window-004215441.html

Hostages held in Sydney cafe, Islamic flag seen in window: local TV

Reuters
By Matt Siegel

By Matt Siegel

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Hostages were being held inside a central Sydney cafe where a black flag with white Arabic writing could be seen in the window, local television showed on Monday, raising fears of an attack linked to Islamic militants.

Prime Minister Tony Abbott said he was convening a meeting of the cabinet's national security committee for a briefing on what he called a hostage situation in Australia's commercial capital.

Australia, which is backing the United States and its escalating action against Islamic State in Syria and Iraq, is on high alert for attacks by radicalised Muslims or by home-grown fighters returning from the conflict in the Middle East.

Dozens of heavily armed police surrounded the Lindt Cafe in Martin Place, home to the Reserve Bank of Australia, commercial banks and close to the New South Wales (NSW) state parliament.

Live television footage showed patrons inside the cafe standing with their hands pressed against the windows. A black and white flag similar to those used by Islamic State militants in Iraq and Syria was also visible.

NSW Police tweeted: "A police operation is underway in Martin Place, Sydney's CBD. People are advised to avoid the area."

A couple of hundred people were being held back by cordons and the fire brigade's hazardous unit was on the scene, a Reuters witness said.

The Reserve Bank of Australia, near the cafe, said staff had been locked down inside the building, and were all safe and accounted for.

Local media reported that the nearby Sydney Opera House had been evacuated after a suspicious package had been found. A staff member at the world-famous venue said she was still in the building but declined to comment further and police said they were still trying to confirm the incident.

Trains and buses were stopped and roads were blocked in the area, with train operators saying there had been a bomb threat at Martin Place.

Traders in currency markets said the hostage news may have contributed to a dip in the Australian dollar, which was already under pressure from global risk aversion as oil prices fell anew. The local currency was pinned at $0.8227, having hit its lowest since mid-2010 last week.

In September, Australian anti-terrorism police said they had thwarted an imminent threat to behead a random member of the public and days later, a teenager in Melbourne was shot dead after attacking two anti-terrorism officers with a knife.

Does anybody know where Jafar is and what he is doing now??? :laugh:
The sooner these animals are put down like the mad rabid dogs they are the better. The sooner Islam is addressed and -actually forced--TO STOP THIS THE BETTER IMHO.
Sure seems it has no problem reacting swiftly and with brute force when infidels attack it or insult it..
We must stop letting them get by with lying that its not them--that its rogue-radical elements..
It is them, they are the farm, those elements do their biddings.. The fact that such elements fight each other is not different than Sunni and Shia fighting each other. That infighting does not prove those groups are radical elements or that they are not supported by either the Sunni or the Shia. Islam plays that on dumbass infidels and are aided by their Western appeasers and allies.. -Tyr

gabosaurus
12-14-2014, 10:17 PM

Does anybody know where Jafar is and what he is doing now???

Unlike yourself, Jafar is most likely at work. He has an honest job, which is quite good at. He actually makes a lot of money. Can you say the same?

No one is saying such, but this is likely NOT a terrorist attack. I know that would make you unhappy.
Witnesses on Sydney radio (which you can listen to live if you wish) identify the hostage taker as an older man with blonde hair and a beard. The first thing he asked for was to speak with PM Tony Abbott. When that was denied, he refused further communication.
Unlike most Islamic terrorist attacks, there have been no statements, no demands and no threats.
Terrorist attacks are very well planned and coordinated actions. They are not one guy walking into a coffee shop.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-14-2014, 10:34 PM
Unlike yourself, Jafar is most likely at work. He has an honest job, which is quite good at. He actually makes a lot of money. Can you say the same?

No one is saying such, but this is likely NOT a terrorist attack. I know that would make you unhappy.
Witnesses on Sydney radio (which you can listen to live if you wish) identify the hostage taker as an older man with blonde hair and a beard. The first thing he asked for was to speak with PM Tony Abbott. When that was denied, he refused further communication.
Unlike most Islamic terrorist attacks, there have been no statements, no demands and no threats.
Terrorist attacks are very well planned and coordinated actions. They are not one guy walking into a coffee shop.

Unlike yourself, Jafar is most likely at work. He has an honest job, which is quite good at. He actually makes a lot of money. Can you say the same

Hey, how about you hold those damn horses .
Listen here I don't play that shit.
Don't question me on my life and make rude ass remarks as you do. You don't know enough about me or my life for that nor was it called for.
I have went out of my way to be as respectful to you as possible. To expect the same is not unreasonable nor is it excessive..
If you have a damn hard on for Jafar that's your damn tough luck.
Trust me, I can make you look like a fool a thousand ways if I ever get started down that path..
Don't try that ffing shit with me--no way can you ever match me at it!

Best you read the article, the article states it was likely a muslim terrorist.

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Hostages were being held inside a central Sydney cafe where a black flag with white Arabic writing could be seen in the window, local television showed on Monday, raising fears of an attack linked to Islamic militants.

I joked about Jafar, no biggie.
Really, terrorist attacks are not one guy doing the deed?? Are you daft?
1. Fort Hood, 2. lady got her head cut clean off recently, 3. shoe bomber, 4. Times Square BOMBER , all were one terrorist acting alone.. -Tyr

gabosaurus
12-14-2014, 11:18 PM
Joke? Continually accusing someone of being a terrorist involving in killing people and funding a terrorist group is far from being a "joke."
Jafar attempted to contribute to this board. You (and others) constantly harassed and bullied him until he left.
Tyr, I do have respect for your wit and intelligence, but your continual hard on with Muslim hate is nothing but ignorance and stupidity. Redneck whites from the early 60's didn't do it better than you do.

One armed person waving a flag is far from a "terrorist threat." He could be mentally ill, or have a personal issue. At this point, he doesn't fit the profile for a terrorist.
You don't joke about being a terrorist. This has probably blown up in a way the poor idiot never anticipated.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-14-2014, 11:27 PM
Joke? Continually accusing someone of being a terrorist involving in killing people and funding a terrorist group is far from being a "joke."
Jafar attempted to contribute to this board. You (and others) constantly harassed and bullied him until he left.
Tyr, I do have respect for your wit and intelligence, but your continual hard on with Muslim hate is nothing but ignorance and stupidity. Redneck whites from the early 60's didn't do it better than you do.

One armed person waving a flag is far from a "terrorist threat." He could be mentally ill, or have a personal issue. At this point, he doesn't fit the profile for a terrorist.
You don't joke about being a terrorist. This has probably blown up in a way the poor idiot never anticipated.

So we both have hard ons.. :laugh:
I bet you a hundred bucks that mine is bigger.. ;)
By the way, I never accused him of being a terrorist, I only accused him of supporting terrorists which he admitted with his constant support of Hamas and refusal to ever condemn Hamas.
The article stated the sign in the window, black flag and written in Arabic.
So now you add redneck to my list...
Go ahead, its the typical response . I've gotten it from those I beat(with TRUTH) on internet boards for many years now.
Jafar supported terrorists and was unrepentant about it.
To me that takes him firmly out of the good guy group. To tailfins and you it does not.
Id say that quite likely you two are the only ones here now that still put him in the good guy group.
Others are very welcome to state otherwise if they wish.. -Tyr

tailfins
12-15-2014, 12:05 AM
Don't question me on my life and make rude ass remarks as you do. You don't know enough about me or my life for that nor was it called for.

You're the one that admitted that you're no longer gainfully employed.

Kathianne
12-15-2014, 01:00 AM
So we both have hard ons.. :laugh:
I bet you a hundred bucks that mine is bigger.. ;)
By the way, I never accused him of being a terrorist, I only accused him of supporting terrorists which he admitted with his constant support of Hamas and refusal to ever condemn Hamas.
The article stated the sign in the window, black flag and written in Arabic.
So now you add redneck to my list...
Go ahead, its the typical response . I've gotten it from those I beat(with TRUTH) on internet boards for many years now.
Jafar supported terrorists and was unrepentant about it.
To me that takes him firmly out of the good guy group. To tailfins and you it does not.
Id say that quite likely you two are the only ones here now that still put him in the good guy group.
Others are very welcome to state otherwise if they wish.. -Tyr

If I lived in Australia, I'd probably find Jafar a nice neighbor. He liked to walk with his family, I'd have liked to have walked along too. Problems would have arose if we started speaking about Israel for certain. ;)

My guess though Israel wouldn't have come up. Jafar actually sounded more 'inclusive' in everyday topics than many of the Muslims I encountered at my kids' high school. I doubt very much he would have been pitching fits on some everyday issues. I know I don't bring up the Middle East with acquaintances, but messageboards are different.

With his opinions I disagreed. To the best of my knowledge he thought he wasn't advocating violence, I repeatedly pointed out that not condemning the Hamas Charter was supporting the hope for genocide. He didn't like that, but we never found ourselves in the 'You should die,' type of conversations.

I think abortion is murder. Yet, I wouldn't say that someone who disagrees is going to hell. I might think it, but that particular decision is God's, not mine. I know that according to the Bible, that if a person that has had one or performs one, asks for forgiveness, it will be forgiven. Same with any murderer.

I believe we should strenuously argue our POV, but should also be reasonable to the thinking of others. If we are, they may provide opportunities to turn their hearts or minds.

Again, I'd give the same advice to Congress, this administration, and extremist groups of all beliefs.

Kathianne
12-15-2014, 03:29 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_rebel_fighters_in_the_Syrian_Civil_War#Aus tralia

Foreign rebel fighters in the Syrian Civil WarFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Australia[edit (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Foreign_rebel_fighters_in_the_Syri an_Civil_War&action=edit&section=18)]There were an estimated 50[38] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_rebel_fighters_in_the_Syrian_Civil_War#cit e_note-aus2-38)–100 Australians fighting in the country as of January 2014, with total calculations for the war reaching about 200 fighters. About six were reported to have died and the others were suggested as having returned home. In Sydney and Melbourne, in particular, opponents and supporters of the government have resorted to beatings, assaults, shootings and property, largely along sectarian lines. There were more than 15 incidents of violence involving members of the Lebanese, Turkish and Syrian communities, although in 2013 it had decreased from the previous year. The Australian Security Intelligence Organisation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Security_Intelligence_Organisation) (ASIO) reported at the end of the year: "The situation in Syria, with the potential for violence spilling into other parts of the Middle East, increases the possibility of associated communal violence in Australia and remains a concern for ASIO." Zaky Mallah, the first person to be charged and acquitted under Australia's anti-terrorism laws, suggested: "The majority of Australians heading to Syria are from Lebanese backgrounds. The Lebanese youth here feel disadvantaged, isolated and discriminated against. Many [are] unemployed and have turned to religion as a result." After the death of a couple from western Sydney in the country, Immigration Minister Scott Morrison (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Morrison_(politician)) suggested those fighting in Syria could risk losing their citizenship, while the Australian Federal Police (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Federal_Police) added that those returning from the fighting would be considered a national security threat. ASIO confiscated the passports of those it suspected of travelling to engage in "politically motivated violence;" from mid-2012 to mid-2013 18 passports were confiscated. Former Victoria Multicultural Affairs Commissioner and founder of the Australian Arabic Council (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Australian_Arabic_Council&action=edit&redlink=1) Joseph Wakim (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Joseph_Wakim&action=edit&redlink=1) said:[54] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_rebel_fighters_in_the_Syrian_Civil_War#cit e_note-aus-54)

"The new coalition government has been critical of both sides and sympathetic to the Christian minorities who have been targeted by the anti-Assad [sic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sic)] forces. With Australia's suite of anti-terror laws, and concerted efforts by our intelligence agencies to share resources and establish strategic community contacts, Australia's buffer against terrorist acts has been bolstered. Local community elders and clerics have also been more vigilant and public in encouraging good citizenship and close cooperation with authorities, including denouncing potential terrorists. [Those Australian fighting in Syria had a perceived moral duty to aid their Muslim brothers to] rid Syria of an infidel secular authoritarian regime and replace it with one that upholds their brand version of pure Islam. While there is no evidence of such individuals planning attacks in Australia, their recruitment activities tap into a population of Australian-born and disengaged youth searching for a worthy cause – and at times martyrdom."

So, might have an Aussie with Islamic tendencies have gone too far?

Drummond
12-15-2014, 08:06 AM
If I lived in Australia, I'd probably find Jafar a nice neighbor. He liked to walk with his family, I'd have liked to have walked along too. Problems would have arose if we started speaking about Israel for certain. ;)

My guess though Israel wouldn't have come up. Jafar actually sounded more 'inclusive' in everyday topics than many of the Muslims I encountered at my kids' high school. I doubt very much he would have been pitching fits on some everyday issues. I know I don't bring up the Middle East with acquaintances, but messageboards are different.

With his opinions I disagreed. To the best of my knowledge he thought he wasn't advocating violence, I repeatedly pointed out that not condemning the Hamas Charter was supporting the hope for genocide. He didn't like that, but we never found ourselves in the 'You should die,' type of conversations.

I think abortion is murder. Yet, I wouldn't say that someone who disagrees is going to hell. I might think it, but that particular decision is God's, not mine. I know that according to the Bible, that if a person that has had one or performs one, asks for forgiveness, it will be forgiven. Same with any murderer.

I believe we should strenuously argue our POV, but should also be reasonable to the thinking of others. If we are, they may provide opportunities to turn their hearts or minds.

Again, I'd give the same advice to Congress, this administration, and extremist groups of all beliefs.

Bear in mind the Islamic requirement for prayers, 5 times a day .. !!

Jafar stated on this forum that one of them was undertaken, every 'day', at 4AM !! So I suggest that any neighbours Jafar has, have to be EXTREMELY understanding (and insomniacs ) !!

Note to Gabby ..I support Tyr's comments to you. You should not forget that, when the last Israeli / Hamas confrontation happened, Jafar's 'peaceful' pretentions went out the window. No matter what Hamas did, no matter what the savagery, he supported them ! And his attacks against Israel were as predictable as they were driven by the bog-standard hatred one could always expect of a Hamas supporter ..

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-15-2014, 08:42 AM
You're the one that admitted that you're no longer gainfully employed.

That's a damn lie. I've never once on this site stated I was not employed or was retired.

Cite that quote by me here or else admit your error (be it deliberate or not)...
I can wait, but you'll not find it and its an assumption you've made.. -Tyr

tailfins
12-15-2014, 08:52 AM
That's a damn lie. I've never once on this site stated I was not employed or was retired.

Cite that quote by me here or else admit your error (be it deliberate or not)...
I can wait, but you'll not find it and its an assumption you've made.. -Tyr

I remember you said you were 68. I also remember something about your Social Security check. There search feature here at DP isn't so great.

Drummond
12-15-2014, 09:39 AM
I remember you said you were 68. I also remember something about your Social Security check. There search feature here at DP isn't so great.

Tailfins .... I've no intention of volunteering hard information for Tyr .. it is, after all, HIS business ...

.. but I can tell you that your statement of Tyr's supposed 'age' is incorrect. Considering this just as it stands, I'd advise you to rethink your position ...

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-15-2014, 09:42 AM
I am 60 years old, not qualified for Social Security until after my 62nd birthday.
Keep searching until the cows come home --your memory is in great error amigo.

I am however glad to see you made the comment based on faulty memory rather than deliberate lying.
As I can and do commiserate with you on the faulty memory part--mine having been going south on that a lot this last year..

Why would I care unless the statement was in error? I wouldn't but I will not let any error or any lie about me stand uncontested.
Check my post in the Gaffer update thread. There I posted that my father died of cancer in 1969 and that I was just 15 years old, that means I was born in 1954 which makes me now 60 years old.
Also I've never once in my life ever stated that I was retired or drawing Social Security.
As I am neither..
Here I went and got it for you..

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?48030-Update-on-Gaffer

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
I've just begun to fight!
Join Date:May 2012Location:USA, SouthernPosts:13,347Thanks:6,608Thanked 4,389 Times in 2,455 Posts Rep Power:4330719

Quote Originally Posted by aboutime View Post

Please tell him WE are all praying for him. Can't hold back the tears. God Bless All of You.

My reply,

That picture of him now so reminded me of my Dad , when he came home from the hospital in 1969. I too, had tears for both..
Nothing in this world is worse than going thru what he and his family are going thru right now. I've know too having been there when I was only 15 years old. It utterly destroyed me until I was 32 years old..
May God bless Gaffer and all his family as only he can...--Tyr

“I will stand with the Muslims , The Audacity of Hope” page 261… Barak Obama-Traitor
"We say Grace, we say Ma'am. If you ain't into that we don't give a damn." Hank Jr.
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to kill those who interrupt that serenity, and the wisdom to know where to bury the bodies."

Apology will be accepted should you choose to give one, since you erred due to faulty memory and not lying intent. .. -Tyr

Kathianne
12-15-2014, 10:41 AM
The storming of the chocolate shop was unbelievable.

There has been confirmation of ties between the hostage taker and ISIS.

The guy was a self-proclaimed sheik from Iran, well known to police. (Yes, Iran-weird to be with ISIS).

So, it appears to be terrorism for certain.

Kathianne
12-15-2014, 10:52 AM
I woke up to the seige of the building, sounded like an explosion. Might have been the police blowing a door, but the Iranian claimed there were two bombs in the building and more in surrounding area.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/394682/sydney-hostage-taker-identified-iranian-hate-sheikh-man-haron-monis-brendan-bordelon

Sydney Hostage-Taker Identified as Iranian ‘Hate Sheikh’ Man Haron Monis (http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/394682/sydney-hostage-taker-identified-iranian-hate-sheikh-man-haron-monis-brendan-bordelon)By Brendan Bordelon (http://www.nationalreview.com/author/brendan-bordelon)
December 15, 2014 10:35 AM (http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/394682/sydney-hostage-taker-identified-iranian-hate-sheikh-man-haron-monis-brendan-bordelon)

The gunman holding multiple hostages in a Sydney café has been identified as 49-year-old Man Haron Monis, an Iranian immigrant to Australia dubbed the “hate sheikh” by the media for harassing the families of Australian soldiers who died in Afghanistan.

A self-styled Islamic cleric and “spiritual healer,” Monis has a long rap sheet — including at least a dozen sexual assault charges and accessory charges (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-01-22/controversial-sheik-haron-faces-accessory-to-ex-wife27s-murder/5212862) to the murder of his ex-wife, found stabbed and set alight in a stairwell last year. His new wife is charged with the murder.

The Iranian earned the ire of Australian media by sending a series of hate messages to the families of dead Australian soldiers, accusing the deceased of being “murderers” and child-killers during their tours in Afghanistan. Monis was charged and convicted under Australian hate speech laws for the letters.

Monis took up to thirty hostages at Sydney’s Lindt Chocolat Cafe at around 9 A.M. local time Sunday morning, demanding an Islamic State flag and asking to speak directly to the Australian prime minister. Though some hostages managed to escape, as of around 2 A.M. a number of hostages remained inside the café.

Kathianne
12-15-2014, 11:03 AM
Well yeah, I flipping through some sites, looking for more info. I found this interesting, Check the DATE:

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/388309/isis-comes-west-tom-rogan

SEPTEMBER 18, 2014 11:13 AM
ISIS Comes to the West (http://www.nationalreview.com/article/388309/isis-comes-west-tom-rogan)
Three reasons why the Australian beheading plot is a big deal.
By Tom Rogan (http://www.nationalreview.com/author/tom-rogan)

The Islamic State threat just got imminent.
Earlier Thursday, Australian counterterrorism officers arrested 15 individuals in what Australian prime minister Tony Abbott has confirmed was a beheading plot related to the Islamic State.

According to news reports (http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/public-beheading-fears-tony-abbott-confirms-police-believed-terrorists-planned-demonstration-killings-20140918-10ilyq.html), the suspects planned “to snatch and behead a random member of the public, then drape them in the flag of the Islamic State.” The footage (https://twitter.com/ABCNews24/status/512454165067333632) would have been sent to the group’s video propagandists (http://www.nationalreview.com/article/384197/islamic-states-death-tv-tom-rogan) for production and release.

While some of those arrested have been released, two men have been charged with various offenses. In a sign of the investigation’s urgency, the suspected cell ringleader, Omarjan Azari, has already appeared in court (http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/man-arrested-in-terrorist-raids-appears-in-court-20140918-10imfp.html).

This is a major story. Here are three reasons why.

1. The arrests and raids were a serious counterterrorism operation.
Over 800 police officers were involved, including specialist tactical officers from some of Australia’s top SWAT units. This level of deployment is unusual and reflects major concern on the part of senior law enforcement in Australia. From witness statements and the video footage released, the heavily armed tactical teams appear to have conducted “hard arrests,” meaning tactics employed where officers believe suspects have the capability and intent to endanger life. Australian media have photographed an inscribed scimitar sword recovered from one site.

2. There are strong indications of operational direction from the Islamic State.
Presenting their case against Omarjan Azari, prosecutors alleged (http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/sydney-man-arrested-in-terrorist-raids-conspired-with-senior-isil-figure-mohammad-baryalei-court-hears-20140918-10is7i.html) a conspiracy with Mohammed Baryalei, an Australian senior Islamic State network facilitator likely living in Turkey or Syria. A Sydney street imam turned Islamic State fanatic, Baryalei is believed to have recruited around 40 Australians to fight for the jihadist group.

Two particulars stand out regarding the connections to the Islamic State. First, Prime Minister Abbott’s statement that (http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/public-beheading-fears-tony-abbott-confirms-police-believed-terrorists-planned-demonstration-killings-20140918-10ilyq.html) “quite direct exhortations were coming from an Australian who is apparently quite senior in ISIL . . . to conduct demonstration killings here” almost certainly refers to Baryalei. Second, at Azari’s court appearance, the prosecutor stated (http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/sydney-man-arrested-in-terrorist-raids-conspired-with-senior-isil-figure-mohammad-baryalei-court-hears-20140918-10is7i.html) that his arrest was driven by an intercepted phone call “only a couple of days ago.” This intercept likely involved participation from the U.S.’s NSA — under the “five eyes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Eyes#Overview)” agreement, the NSAmaintains an exceptionally close relationship with Australia’s signals-intelligence community.

3. Australian counterterrorism operations are for real.
Over the past few months, Australian counterterrorism officials have grown increasingly concerned by the threat of Salafi extremism. Last week, in a separate operation (http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/queensland-terror-attack-averted-by-just-days-20140918-10irfs.html), a number of suspected al-Qaeda-aligned terrorists were arrested in Australia’s northeastern Queensland territory. These individuals are believed to have been plotting an attack on Australian soil.

Hiding behind a small but loud (http://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/lakemba-protest-by-muslims-who-believe-australian-terror-raids-were-unjust-policing/story-fnj3rq0y-1227062988666) community of idiots who shame Australia’s otherwise honorable Islamic community, terrorists have too many avenues of concealment. Australian officials recently raised (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-29170042) the nation’s terrorist alert level to high. Around 60 (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-order/unmasked-aussie-jihadists-heading-into-islamic-state-terror-zones/story-fni0fee2-1227062790468) Australians have either traveled to fight with the Islamic State, and others, it seems, are taking operational direction/inspiration from the group.

With terrorists like Baryalei, who follow in the repugnant tradition of al-Qaeda network facilitators like Rashid Rauf (http://www.nationalreview.com/article/361720/defense-drones-tom-rogan), the threat is both foreign and domestic. But the Islamic State poses a special danger, too.

As I explained (http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/tomrogan/100272322/a-terrorist-storm-is-heading-for-the-west-and-the-brutal-isis-is-behind-it/) before the group stormed through northern Iraq, this group has learned from its predecessors and from Edward Snowden. Its leaders know to stay off the radar, and they’re winning the hearts and minds of some non-negligible number of Westerners. Most of all, they’ve proven their intent and capacity to spread murder.
As today’s events attest, the storm is gathering strength.

— Tom Rogan (http://www.tomroganthinks.com/) is a columnist (http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/author/tomrogan/) for the Daily Telegraph and a contributor to The McLaughlin Group (http://www.mclaughlin.com/). He holds the Tony Blankley Chair at the Steamboat Institute (http://www.steamboatinstitute.org/), is based in

gabosaurus
12-15-2014, 11:08 AM
Watched the whole thing go down live on Sydney TV. It was a quite precise act. Well done by the Sydney police.

If anyone wants the REAL story behind all this, perhaps you should go to the source.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/abcnews24/

http://www.smh.com.au/

Drummond
12-15-2014, 11:26 AM
Watched the whole thing go down live on Sydney TV. It was a quite precise act. Well done by the Sydney police.

If anyone wants the REAL story behind all this, perhaps you should go to the source.

That's a bit like saying that if you want a 'real' story about the UK, you should just go to the BBC .... !!! ....

We in the UK have been on alert for a home-based ISIS attack for the past 2 months. See ...

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/isis-every-uk-police-officer-terrorist-target-warning-1469467

.... suggesting a further street attack is on the cards, like the one Lee Rigby was a victim of -

Needless to say, the ever-PC Left moved, to try and discredit that possibility .. courtesy of the Leftie Guardian ...

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jun/23/scaremongering-isis-no-threat-to-britain-liam-fox-mi6-iraq

In the past week David Cameron, MI6 and the London police have all issued warnings of the "danger to Britain" from this month's Isis invasion of northern Iraq, and from a possible 400-500 "returning jihadists" (http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/22/uk-syria-islamic-extremism-isis-muthana-cressida-dick). This is the backdrop to a campaign for renewed military intervention in Iraq and, at home, for extending GCHQ's freedom to conduct what it now admits is the warrant-less surveillance of all electronic communications by British citizens.

The idea that the Isis action in Iraq poses a threat to the British state is ludicrous ....

It seems that the Left wish us to forget all about Lee Rigby's fate. What was considered improbable before his death, we must consider improbable AGAIN, and learn nothing from the past.

The Left requires it. And we must all see 'reality' through THEIR eyes.

Kathianne
12-15-2014, 11:33 AM
That's a bit like saying that if you want a 'real' story about the UK, you should just go to the BBC .... !!! ....

We in the UK have been on alert for a home-based ISIS attack for the past 2 months. See ...

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/isis-every-uk-police-officer-terrorist-target-warning-1469467

.... suggesting a further street attack is on the cards, like the one Lee Rigby was a victim of -

Needless to say, the ever-PC Left moved, to try and discredit that possibility .. courtesy of the Leftie Guardian ...

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jun/23/scaremongering-isis-no-threat-to-britain-liam-fox-mi6-iraq

It seems that the Left wish us to forget all about Lee Rigby's fate. What was considered improbable before his death, we must consider improbable AGAIN, and learn nothing from the past.

The Left requires it. And we must all see 'reality' through THEIR eyes.

I went to both her links, saw nothing new or more insightful. On the first, same newscasts that have been shown on both FOX and CNN. Talking heads are talking heads.

On the second, saw the reports of the letters sent to killed militaries families by this terrorist over night. Personally don't think there should be huge coverage of this tactic, reminds me of the crazy Westboro folks.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-15-2014, 04:09 PM
Check this out gabby. Guy was a muslim preacher of hate.
So much for your original false comment about him. huh?

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?48045-Gunman-two-hostages-killed-as-police-storm-Sydney-siege-cafe&p=718332#post718332

gabosaurus
Cooler than thou art
Join Date:Mar 2007Posts:12,304Thanks:36Thanked 427 Times in 281 Posts Rep Power:1868335

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post

Does anybody know where Jafar is and what he is doing now???

stevecanuck
12-15-2014, 04:42 PM
The flag the hostages were forced to hold to the window says, "There is no god but The God, and Mohamed is the prophet of God". That phrase is called the shahada, and every Muslim is expected to repeat it. As you can see, it the same phrase that appears on the flags of Saudi Arabia and ISIS.

jimnyc
12-15-2014, 04:59 PM

What REAL story? That he was a radical Muslim with a lengthy record? Maybe YOU should investigate things before jumping to conclusions. You wrote this at 11:08am today, 9am your time - and I knew it was a radical Muslim with a record last night before I went to bed. Then again, I rooted out about 7 sites or so to find out what exactly was going down, and read several more sites after this scumbag was identified. Didn't the sign in the window give you even a slightest clue? Never mind, dumb question.

jimnyc
12-15-2014, 06:03 PM

Here you go, seems like a swell kinda guy!

--------

Self-proclaimed Islamic cleric Man Haron Monis, a 49-year-old man living in southwest Sydney, came to Australia from Iran as a refugee in 1996.

He first came to the attention of authorities when he started sending hate mail to the families of Australian dead soldiers between 2007 and 2009, according to The Daily Telegraph.

The siege in the Lindt cafe in Martin Place on Monday reportedly followed an unsuccessful effort to have a conviction related to penning those letters overturned in the High Court on Friday, according to The Age.

Monis received 300 community service hours and a two-year good behaviour bond for the correspondence, which he claims were his version of sympathy cards and sent with the help from his girlfriend Amirah Droudis.

The hostage-taker was charged as an accessory to the murder of his ex-wife - who was allegedly stabbed and set on fire on a flight of stairs in her western Sydney apartment block in November 2013. The man's current partner was charged with murder but they both received bail as the case was deemed too weak.

He was arrested in April this year for the sexual assault of a 27-year-old woman in 2002 after luring her to his clinic following claims he was as an expert in astrology, meditation and black magic, The Daily Telegraph reported.

Monis was slapped with an additional 40 charges in October after more victims came forward alleging incidents took place in his spiritual healing clinic in Station Street in Wentworthville, western Sydney.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2873855/Gunman-takes-hostages-cafe-Sydney.html

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-15-2014, 07:08 PM
Here you go, seems like a swell kinda guy!

--------

Self-proclaimed Islamic cleric Man Haron Monis, a 49-year-old man living in southwest Sydney, came to Australia from Iran as a refugee in 1996.

He first came to the attention of authorities when he started sending hate mail to the families of Australian dead soldiers between 2007 and 2009, according to The Daily Telegraph.

The siege in the Lindt cafe in Martin Place on Monday reportedly followed an unsuccessful effort to have a conviction related to penning those letters overturned in the High Court on Friday, according to The Age.

Monis received 300 community service hours and a two-year good behaviour bond for the correspondence, which he claims were his version of sympathy cards and sent with the help from his girlfriend Amirah Droudis.

The hostage-taker was charged as an accessory to the murder of his ex-wife - who was allegedly stabbed and set on fire on a flight of stairs in her western Sydney apartment block in November 2013. The man's current partner was charged with murder but they both received bail as the case was deemed too weak.

He was arrested in April this year for the sexual assault of a 27-year-old woman in 2002 after luring her to his clinic following claims he was as an expert in astrology, meditation and black magic, The Daily Telegraph reported.

Monis was slapped with an additional 40 charges in October after more victims came forward alleging incidents took place in his spiritual healing clinic in Station Street in Wentworthville, western Sydney.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2873855/Gunman-takes-hostages-cafe-Sydney.html

Gabby quickly proclaimed the man to be an old blonde headed guy--first blonde headed Iranian that I've ever heard of myself. :laugh:
Amazing how often she pipes into threads right away with erroneous statements but never acknowledges her mistakes or try to change her pattern.. Methinks there is a word for that.... -Tyr

Jeff
12-15-2014, 07:33 PM
Gabby quickly proclaimed the man to be an old blonde headed guy--first blonde headed Iranian that I've ever heard of myself. :laugh:
Amazing how often she pipes into threads right away with erroneous statements but never acknowledges her mistakes or try to change her pattern.. Methinks there is a word for that.... -Tyr

She probably checked with her cousins Bf stepson sister who has a brother that is a lawyer that lives in Sydney :laugh:

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6891&stc=1

aboutime
12-15-2014, 08:27 PM
Gabby consistently defends the enemies of freedom. Look at how she is so consistent in ignoring some of us who confront her with Facts, Honest Facts she tries, but fails to dispute by practicing her Californication, Liberal, DNC talking Point Lies in front of a mirror, before she feels confident enough to repeat those Lies to all of us.

gabosaurus
12-15-2014, 08:44 PM

First reports stated that the suspect was an older man with blonde hair and a beard. Turns out he was an older looking man with dark hair and a beard.
Until a further background profile was put together, Australian authorities were puzzled why an alleged "cleric" who made frequent speeches in 2010 about "peaceful protests" could turn into someone who pulled off a hostage situation.
I did speak with someone who studies Isis and radical terrorism. He was puzzled with the suspect's behavior. He acted alone, did not make a show of violent behavior, refused to communicate with authorities and made no statements or demands. He waved a flag once in a window, then appeared to discard it.
The Australian media is providing wall to wall coverage and it is quite fascinating.

Kathianne
12-15-2014, 09:30 PM
First reports stated that the suspect was an older man with blonde hair and a beard. Turns out he was an older looking man with dark hair and a beard.
Until a further background profile was put together, Australian authorities were puzzled why an alleged "cleric" who made frequent speeches in 2010 about "peaceful protests" could turn into someone who pulled off a hostage situation.
I did speak with someone who studies Isis and radical terrorism. He was puzzled with the suspect's behavior. He acted alone, did not make a show of violent behavior, refused to communicate with authorities and made no statements or demands. He waved a flag once in a window, then appeared to discard it.
The Australian media is providing wall to wall coverage and it is quite fascinating.

Really? http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/15/world/asia/australia-sydney-hostage-situation/

...Abbott told reporters that the gunman was already well-known to authorities, and that he had a "long history of violent crime, infatuation with extremism and mental instability."Before the raid, Monis had demanded a flag and phone call with Abbott, CNN affiliate Sky News Australia reported. He made the demands through hostages who contacted media organizations, Sky News reported.
Some hostages had also reportedly posted messages to social networking sites and the YouTube online video service. Police urged media early Tuesday not to show the videos.
Monis, also known as Sheikh Haron, pleaded guilty in 2013 to writing letters to relatives of Australian service members saying they were "Hitler's soldiers," according to Australian media reports.

Instead of 'lone wolf' Known wolf seems a better handle.

gabosaurus
12-15-2014, 11:19 PM
The meaning behind the flag shown -- it's not an Islamic state flag.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/nsw/a/25776171/explainer-this-is-not-an-islamic-state-flag/

Who is Man Monis?

https://au.news.yahoo.com/nsw/a/25780937/the-man-behind-the-siege-who-is-man-monis/

I would recommend the web site of Sydney TV station 7 News. Their studio is right across the street from the cafe where the hostage situation unfolded. They have some remarkable footage and commentary.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/video/watch/25782321/sydney-siege-ends-new-vision/

jimnyc
12-16-2014, 04:48 AM

https://au.news.yahoo.com/nsw/a/25776171/explainer-this-is-not-an-islamic-state-flag/

Who is Man Monis?

https://au.news.yahoo.com/nsw/a/25780937/the-man-behind-the-siege-who-is-man-monis/

I would recommend the web site of Sydney TV station 7 News. Their studio is right across the street from the cafe where the hostage situation unfolded. They have some remarkable footage and commentary.

The same from your link. What a wonderful blonde headed chap. And while not an ISIS flag, it is a flag declaring that there is no God but Allah. Simply another RADICAL.

----

The alleged gunman who held hostages against their will in a cafe in Sydney's Martin Place was a self-styled Sheik who had been known to police for a long time.
Police identified him as Man Monis.

Born in Iran, the 50-year-old came to Australia in 1996 as a refugee.

In 2009, Monis chained himself to the steps of a Sydney courthouse in a bid to convey a 'message of peace'

At the time, he was accused of seven counts of using a postal or similar service to menace, harass or cause offence after sending offensive letters to families of fallen soldiers in Afghanistan.

Monis took advantage of several grieving families and wrote letters that purported to be sympathetic but were vile and grossly insulting, the crown prosecutor John Agius told the District Court at the time.

The letters, dubbed by one High Court judge as "sadistic, wantonly cruel and deeply wounding", were sent to the families of seven soldiers killed in Afghanistan and a trade official killed in a bombing in Indonesia between 2007 and 2009.

As well as posting the letters - some of which described the soldiers as murderers - Monis published them on his website under headings such as: "Why should we call pig a hero?"

In a DVD sent to the widow of one of the soldiers, Lance Corporal Jason Marks, co-accused Amirah Droudis is seen read out one of the letters saying, "We shouldn't be honouring them as we don't honour Hitler's soldiers".

In 2013, Monis was accused of assisting in the brutal killing of his ex-wife, mother-of-two Noleen Hayson Pal.

Monis and Droudis were charged with murder after 30-year-old Ms Pal was stabbed multiple times and set alight in a western Sydney unit block.

In 2014, Man Monis was charged with sexual intercourse without consent and two counts of indecent assault.

Claiming to be a spiritual healer, Monis was charged after allegedly advising a 27-year-old woman in 2002 to visit him at his business in Wentworthville after she contacted him through a 'Spiritual Consultation' ad in a community newspaper.

The alleged victim was indecently assaulted during her first consultation with Manteghi in August 2002.

A week later at their next meeting the woman was allegedly sexually assaulted.

Monis was on bail will appear in court again in February.

Drummond
12-16-2014, 06:53 AM

Trust a Leftie sympathiser to try and sanitise the truth of this matter ...

... as, indeed, BBC News did, this AM, on its domestic news broadcasts. If you believed their report, you'd think that this individual was motivated by mental illness and nothing more. They've made a big thing about how he (as they report it) had no links with ISIS or any other such group .. therefore, his extremism only represented his own state of mind.

I have the clear impression that there are no extremes the Left won't stoop to, to push their comforting PC fantasy world on to everyone.

In the meantime, though -- the rather more Right wing UK's Daily Mail isn't constrained by PC-driven news censorship. Additionally to the previous posts ... I've discovered THIS ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2875682/I-regret-say-terrorist-Girlfriend-cafe-gunman-praised-Bali-bombings-9-11-online-rant-row-rages-accused-murderer-free-bail.html

The wife of the Sydney terror siege gunman posted a series of hate-filled videos in which she described herself as a terrorist and expressed happiness at the 9/11 and 2002 Bali terror attacks and the Holocaust.

Amirah Droudis, 35, appeared in public Tuesday just hours after her partner Man Haron Monis was shot dead by police to end a 17-hour siege in which he held a score of hostages at a central Sydney cafe. Two of the captives also died.

Droudis reported to Campsie Police Station in southwestern Sydney, as required under conditions of her bail for the alleged murder of Monis' ex-wife, Noleen Hayson Pal, who was stabbed multiple times and set alight in April 2013. Monis was also charged in connection to the murder.

Four years before the killing, a woman believed to be Droudis posted a series of chilling videos on YouTube in which she described acts of terrorism as God's will. The videos bear the address of Monis' web site.

'I regret to say I am a terrorist. I admit and formally confess that for many years I have been a terrorist, but I'll try not to be anymore,' says the woman in one of the videos, whose face is mostly covered by a niqab.

In another video post, the women describes acts including the 9/11 terrorist attacks in New York and Washington and the Al Qaeda-linked Bali bombings as 'acts of God.'

'Yes, we are happy about the punishment of September 11. Yes, we are happy about the punishment in Bali. Yes, we are happy about the punishment of the Holocaust and any other punishment that God sends to us.'

In another online video, the appeared to condone rape, saying 'It is not fair if we condemn the rapist without condemning the one who has encouraged the rape.'

Droudis' brother John Aspros confirmed to Daily Mail Australia today that she and Monis were married.

The video provoked a media storm at the time they were first posted, but no charges were laid. However, at around the same time Monis and Droudis were charged with sending offensive letters to the families of Australian soldiers killed by insurgents in Afghanistan.

The relatives said the letters accused the troops of killing innocent children, among other things. Monis and Droudis were eventually convicted in that case and sentenced to community service.
Well, now ! Perhaps Gabby, in pursuit of her Leftie sanitising, would care to tell us that the 'mental illness' reported (... which was her own line on this, earlier in the thread) is actually contracted as an airborne disease would be .. ?

Jeff
12-16-2014, 08:34 AM
Gabby consistently defends the enemies of freedom. Look at how she is so consistent in ignoring some of us who confront her with Facts, Honest Facts she tries, but fails to dispute by practicing her Californication, Liberal, DNC talking Point Lies in front of a mirror, before she feels confident enough to repeat those Lies to all of us.

Really? http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/15/world/asia/australia-sydney-hostage-situation/

Instead of 'lone wolf' Known wolf seems a better handle.

The same from your link. What a wonderful blonde headed chap. And while not an ISIS flag, it is a flag declaring that there is no God but Allah. Simply another RADICAL.

----

The alleged gunman who held hostages against their will in a cafe in Sydney's Martin Place was a self-styled Sheik who had been known to police for a long time.
Police identified him as Man Monis.

Born in Iran, the 50-year-old came to Australia in 1996 as a refugee.

In 2009, Monis chained himself to the steps of a Sydney courthouse in a bid to convey a 'message of peace'

At the time, he was accused of seven counts of using a postal or similar service to menace, harass or cause offence after sending offensive letters to families of fallen soldiers in Afghanistan.

Monis took advantage of several grieving families and wrote letters that purported to be sympathetic but were vile and grossly insulting, the crown prosecutor John Agius told the District Court at the time.

The letters, dubbed by one High Court judge as "sadistic, wantonly cruel and deeply wounding", were sent to the families of seven soldiers killed in Afghanistan and a trade official killed in a bombing in Indonesia between 2007 and 2009.

As well as posting the letters - some of which described the soldiers as murderers - Monis published them on his website under headings such as: "Why should we call pig a hero?"

In a DVD sent to the widow of one of the soldiers, Lance Corporal Jason Marks, co-accused Amirah Droudis is seen read out one of the letters saying, "We shouldn't be honouring them as we don't honour Hitler's soldiers".

In 2013, Monis was accused of assisting in the brutal killing of his ex-wife, mother-of-two Noleen Hayson Pal.

Monis and Droudis were charged with murder after 30-year-old Ms Pal was stabbed multiple times and set alight in a western Sydney unit block.

In 2014, Man Monis was charged with sexual intercourse without consent and two counts of indecent assault.

Claiming to be a spiritual healer, Monis was charged after allegedly advising a 27-year-old woman in 2002 to visit him at his business in Wentworthville after she contacted him through a 'Spiritual Consultation' ad in a community newspaper.

The alleged victim was indecently assaulted during her first consultation with Manteghi in August 2002.

A week later at their next meeting the woman was allegedly sexually assaulted.

Monis was on bail will appear in court again in February.

Trust a Leftie sympathiser to try and sanitise the truth of this matter ...

... as, indeed, BBC News did, this AM, on its domestic news broadcasts. If you believed their report, you'd think that this individual was motivated by mental illness and nothing more. They've made a big thing about how he (as they report it) had no links with ISIS or any other such group .. therefore, his extremism only represented his own state of mind.

I have the clear impression that there are no extremes the Left won't stoop to, to push their comforting PC fantasy world on to everyone.

In the meantime, though -- the rather more Right wing UK's Daily Mail isn't constrained by PC-driven news censorship. Additionally to the previous posts ... I've discovered THIS ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2875682/I-regret-say-terrorist-Girlfriend-cafe-gunman-praised-Bali-bombings-9-11-online-rant-row-rages-accused-murderer-free-bail.html

Well, now ! Perhaps Gabby, in pursuit of her Leftie sanitising, would care to tell us that the 'mental illness' reported (... which was her own line on this, earlier in the thread) is actually contracted as an airborne disease would be .. ?

Guys why argue with a http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6892&stc=1 Sir Evil hit the nail right on the head

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-16-2014, 10:00 AM

Who is Man Monis?

^^^ Islam is a religion and has no state flag. Yet as a religion it has flags that represent it and the one the murdering bastard used was definitely Islamic.. Here you still try to say he was not part of Islam and not a muslim! I find that to be an insanely astounding case of denial!

As Jim's posted article on the man clearly reveals , he was , as was mohammad, a sex pervert/rapist, murderer and hate-filled piece of human shat..

Amazing how you can and do ignore such blatant and convicting facts on the guy!-Tyr

namvet
12-16-2014, 02:13 PM
time to stop immigration and start the roundups

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3f/Box_car_DSSA_18052.jpg