PDA

View Full Version : Dog faces death after owner's will states that he be euthanized, buried with her

Jeff
12-19-2014, 08:04 AM
I am curious to see how this works out, see I have it in my will that the old lady has to be put down and buried with me ( this way her and her new BF can't enjoy what I worked for :laugh: )

SeriouslyI am curious. I have heard of people talking about there pet will be buried with them and that seem wrong to me but It will be interesting to see, thoughts ???

A healthy German shepherd in Indiana may be euthanized after his owner requested that his ashes be buried with her upon her death, Fox 19 reported.
Connie Lay, who died on Nov. 25, mentioned in her will that she wanted Bela, her beloved dog, to be put down and have his ashes put with her own. The report pointed out that animals are considered possessions and the owner has the legal right to decide its fate.
A veterinarian agreed to put down the dog, but the news did not sit well with animal rights activists and a tri-state effort ensued.
An alternative to Bela's fate, as mentioned in the will, would be to send the dog to Best Friends Animal Society in Utah, a no-kill sanctuary, the report said. But the attorney said due to financial strains, that is not an option.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/12/18/dog-faces-death-after-owner-will-states-that-be-euthanized-buried-with-her/?intcmp=latestnews

Drummond
12-19-2014, 08:23 AM
I am curious to see how this works out, see I have it in my will that the old lady has to be put down and buried with me ( this way her and her new BF can't enjoy what I worked for :laugh: )

SeriouslyI am curious. I have heard of people talking about there pet will be buried with them and that seem wrong to me but It will be interesting to see, thoughts ???

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/12/18/dog-faces-death-after-owner-will-states-that-be-euthanized-buried-with-her/?intcmp=latestnews

There are arguments for and against. On balance ... I'm disgusted.

You could argue that the dog would pine for its dead owner, so killing the dog is a kindness. But I'm not convinced - it may depend on the dog ?

Would the owner intend kindness, or the disposition of a mere possession ?

Abbey Marie
12-19-2014, 11:42 AM
I say we let the dog decide.

Bark if you want to live, meow if you want to be put to death.

fj1200
12-19-2014, 12:03 PM
... thoughts ???

Pets are property. I don't want the state to decide what I can do with my property... outside of cruelty issues anyway.

jimnyc
12-19-2014, 12:11 PM
Pets are property. I don't want the state to decide what I can do with my property... outside of cruelty issues anyway.

I agree with you 99.9999999%

But I think putting down an animal, unless very sick, is cruel. Of course that's my little opinion only, as an animal lover.

fj1200
12-19-2014, 12:15 PM
I agree with you 99.9999999%

But I think putting down an animal, unless very sick, is cruel. Of course that's my little opinion only, as an animal lover.

Cruel is subjective. The alternative to being put down might also be considered cruel depending on its ultimate destination.

tailfins
12-19-2014, 12:26 PM
I say we let ANY ANIMAL decide.

Bark if you want to live, meow if you want to be put to death.

I fixed that for ya! :death:

I hear that cats taste like rabbit. :bunny4:

jimnyc
12-19-2014, 01:28 PM
Cruel is subjective. The alternative to being put down might also be considered cruel depending on its ultimate destination.

I thought of things like that too, like what would happen to my dogs if I croaked? I'd hate to see them, for whatever reason, end up in a kennel, or in an environment where they aren't spoiled like they are today. But that sucks if left with 2 choices:

1- Leave it in your will to give them to someone, or a kennel, and get the best care "you hope" possible

2- Have the animal put down and buried with you

Oddly, I wouldn't mind my pups being buried with me, but it would be difficult of me to make a decision to put them down for no good reason. What if I croaked and the animal was only like 4 years old?

But I agree with you, ANY alternative does seem to be cruel to me, but I think we as humans are a little selfish at times when it comes to our pets.

fj1200
12-19-2014, 01:30 PM
^All we can do is plan ahead based on our values. :)

jimnyc
12-19-2014, 01:32 PM
^All we can do is plan ahead based on our values. :)

If me, I would like to be like Michael Jackson and open a zoo of sorts, but only for enough animals that I would actually play with and care for. And I wish I were rich enough to guarantee that they would be treated like royalty after I'm gone.

revelarts
12-19-2014, 01:47 PM
The dog should be water boarded, dosed with cold water for days, put in a small box, slapped against the wall, sleep deprived, and threatened with death until it tells what it knows about the death of the owner.

It's really NOT torture or cruel or illegal if you do it to "animals" or 'not people'.
if you can just save one life then well...
Can you gua-ren-tee it won't work?!
hmmm? then i'll have to ASSUME that it WILL.
well i rest my case.

jimnyc
12-19-2014, 01:49 PM
The dog should be water boarded, dosed with cold water, slapped against the wall, sleep deprived, and threatened with death until it tells what it knows about the death of the owner.

It's really NOT torture or cruel or illegal if you do it to "animals" or 'not people'.
if you can just save one life then well.. can you gua-ren-tee it won't work?!
hmmm
if not then ... well i rest my case.

Tsk tsk. You shouldn't take your anger or dislike of other threads, and bring them and try to overlap about dogs?

Here is how

another

thread dies

a death

of off topic mess.

revelarts
12-19-2014, 01:53 PM
just making a point Jim.

Back to your regularly scheduled compassionate, humane and commendable questioning the morality of harming other life forms.

jimnyc
12-19-2014, 02:10 PM
just making a point Jim.

Back to your regularly scheduled compassionate, humane and commendable questioning the morality of harming other life forms.

Simply put - dogs have more regard for human life than terrorists do. They don't run around with dynamite on them and try to blow up innocent people. BUT, terrorists have been known to use them as such as a weapon.

sundaydriver
12-19-2014, 02:15 PM
My will has always had a provision for my dogs as to whom (previously agreed to) they would go to along with a sum enough to cover their care. I never want to just hope my pets make out okay when I go.

If this woman's dog was an 18 year old miniature Poodle I might at least understand, but not a healthy loyal dog.

jimnyc
12-19-2014, 02:19 PM
My will has always had a provision for my dogs as to whom (previously agreed to) they would go to along with a sum enough to cover their care. I never want to just hope my pets make out okay when I go.

If this woman's dog was an 18 year old miniature Poodle I might at least understand, but not a healthy loyal dog.

My Pug is 16 and ailing. Seems like his time is coming soon, although I hope I'm, wrong. I thought similarly 2 years ago and here we are! So long as he continues eating and walking, and not crying for help, he's in it for the long run. I don't want to ever see him suffer, but I do admit I am selfish and never want him to leave. :(

sundaydriver
12-19-2014, 02:32 PM
My Pug is 16 and ailing. Seems like his time is coming soon, although I hope I'm, wrong. I thought similarly 2 years ago and here we are! So long as he continues eating and walking, and not crying for help, he's in it for the long run. I don't want to ever see him suffer, but I do admit I am selfish and never want him to leave. :(

We do want them with us forever. Unfortunately for them all the love & joy they give uses them up all to soon.

sundaydriver
12-19-2014, 02:35 PM
Damn it. Now I'm misty eyed!

jimnyc
12-19-2014, 02:40 PM
Damn it. Now I'm misty eyed!

I always get that way, just thinking of my past animals, or of my current dog, Jerome, passing. :(

http://i.imgur.com/oSd5xJk.jpg

Jeff
12-19-2014, 05:12 PM
The dog should be water boarded, dosed with cold water for days, put in a small box, slapped against the wall, sleep deprived, and threatened with death until it tells what it knows about the death of the owner.

if you can just save one life then well...
Can you gua-ren-tee it won't work?!
hmmm? then i'll have to ASSUME that it WILL.
well i rest my case.

Let a Dog bite two or more people and they would wish for that treatment instead of what they get, at least in NJ I think it was 2 registered bites brought the death penalty. now remember they didn't cut anyone's head off or fly planes into buildings.

Or how about the poor dog that just happens to be born the wrong breed, yup a litter of Pit Bull puppies is put to death automatically in many states just because of there breed, so ya might want to rethink here Rev.

red state
12-19-2014, 07:30 PM
Yeah, Jim, that was simply trolling right there and I'm a bit disappointed.

The facts are (when we call a terrorist an animal) we are not talking about a sweet & taste deer to be put down quick and clean.......we are talking about a vile creature of evil that has already committed awful things with intent to do so again and Again and AGAIN with no remorse. Besides, as a SOUTHERNER, my dog is very important to the family and, as many can testify (Southern or Yank) a dog can be part of the family and is known to be MAN'S BEST FRIEND......a terrorist scum bag (NOT SO MUCH)

So, Apples and oranges yet again, REV.

Back on topic, I'd send a photo of just one of my dogs and his 'perch' since he thinks he's part cat but I don't see that simple option and will have to post it somewhere else to get the URL required to post photos here. Hold on.....

red state
12-19-2014, 07:33 PM
OOOoooopppppsss......I thought I was still on the thread about Jim's dog and his Christmas present. O so sahwwy....

jimnyc
12-19-2014, 07:43 PM
OOOoooopppppsss......I thought I was still on the thread about Jim's dog and his Christmas present. O so sahwwy....

Don't apologize! It happens. Sometimes while I'm typing I have to keep re-reading what I'm replying to, just a little reminder to my noggin as to what I'm writing about. Plus the thread was veered a little off course making it a little confusing. No harm by anyone though. :)

sundaydriver
12-26-2014, 08:15 PM
UPDATE: It seems this dog may have been just a one person dog and this clears thing up a lot. Anyway, happy ending for the dog.

However Doug Denmure, Ley's attorney, said outsiders didn't know the whole story. Before her death on November 25, Ley worried that Bela's aggressive behavior could pose a danger to other people.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/24/living/feat-save-bela-dog-shelter/index.html?hpt=hp_bn11 (http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/24/living/feat-save-bela-dog-shelter/index.html?hpt=hp_bn11)