PDA

View Full Version : Credit Card Scammers got me!

NightTrain
12-21-2014, 03:28 PM
It was bound to happen, sooner or later, even though I'm pretty savvy about security and scams.

I was going through my transaction history this morning, and noticed a $4.95 charge on it from some outfit called Healthy Choices Therapy, Inc. I knew I didn't do it, and Sharon hadn't either. My fraudy-senses started tingling, probably something akin to Chris Matthews' leg-thrill every time he sees Obama.

So I called 1-888-717-6583 (the number in the transaction history) and some guy who barely spoke English answered. I demanded to know how he got my card number, he said I signed up on the internet. Nope. He started apologizing, and I pressed him to answer where they got my information - he had my mailing address, credit card number, everything. He kept insisting I signed up, which I hotly denied.

Then he said that I'd signed up this month. I told him to reverse the charges immediately. I asked him where he was located, and he said the Bahamas. I thought his accent was kind of Pakinstan-ish, but I don't know what the local accent in the Bahamas is.

Finally I hung up on his babbling ass, and started digging deeper in my Credit Union transaction history... sure enough, the little shits have been nailing me since July!

Researched them a bit, found a bunch of people that had the same problem - each for only $4.95, all unauthorized : http://www.whatsthatcharge.com/HEALTHY-CHOICES-THERAPY-888-7176583-MD

So I locked my cards, left a voicemail for my Credit Union's Fraud Dept to call me back tomorrow, and filed a report with the FBI Cyber Crime unit.

This is a major pain in the ass, but I'm fortunate they didn't go for it and drain my account!

Anyone else had a run-in with these ass clowns?

tailfins
12-21-2014, 03:34 PM
It was bound to happen, sooner or later, even though I'm pretty savvy about security and scams.

I was going through my transaction history this morning, and noticed a $4.95 charge on it from some outfit called Healthy Choices Therapy, Inc. I knew I didn't do it, and Sharon hadn't either. My fraudy-senses started tingling, probably something akin to Chris Matthews' leg-thrill every time he sees Obama.

So I called 1-888-717-6583 (the number in the transaction history) and some guy who barely spoke English answered. I demanded to know how he got my card number, he said I signed up on the internet. Nope. He started apologizing, and I pressed him to answer where they got my information - he had my mailing address, credit card number, everything. He kept insisting I signed up, which I hotly denied.

Then he said that I'd signed up this month. I told him to reverse the charges immediately. I asked him where he was located, and he said the Bahamas. I thought his accent was kind of Pakinstan-ish, but I don't know what the local accent in the Bahamas is.

Finally I hung up on his babbling ass, and started digging deeper in my Credit Union transaction history... sure enough, the little shits have been nailing me since July!

Researched them a bit, found a bunch of people that had the same problem - each for only $4.95, all unauthorized : http://www.whatsthatcharge.com/HEALTHY-CHOICES-THERAPY-888-7176583-MD

So I locked my cards, left a voicemail for my Credit Union's Fraud Dept to call me back tomorrow, and filed a report with the FBI Cyber Crime unit.

This is a major pain in the ass, but I'm fortunate they didn't go for it and drain my account!

I got a unauthorized $1 from a different entity. The bank cancelled my card and sent a new one. I do have one question for you: Are you against healthy choices? If you dispute those charges it means you're a heartless dirtbag that wants everyone to die!

LongTermGuy
12-21-2014, 03:34 PM

`Never heard of these clowns ....but am always watching...Thanks for the share.`

NightTrain
12-21-2014, 04:30 PM
I got a unauthorized $1 from a different entity. The bank cancelled my card and sent a new one. I do have one question for you: Are you against healthy choices? If you dispute those charges it means you're a heartless dirtbag that wants everyone to die!

Guilty as charged.

I guess the new process is to hit a card for lowball numbers to fly under the radar... $1, $4.99, etc. That way people don't notice them - I skimmed over it more than once before I really looked at that entry, just because it was such a piddling amount.

But if you have 20,000 saps each paying 5 bucks a month, that can be pretty profitable.

glockmail
12-21-2014, 06:27 PM
Gotta reconcile every month. Some dude almost got me for his new cell phone by using my paypal account. It was for $600! I have that account for "play money", for stuff that I buy/ sell on ebay. I never reconcile it. The only reason I knew about it was because it was liked to a checking account for when I spend more than is in it.

I notified paypal and they took care of it, reimbursed me after 2 or 3 weeks.

gabosaurus
12-21-2014, 07:24 PM

A company has been nailing you since July and you didn't realize it?
This is how fraud companies make money. They hit you with small charges and hope you don't notice them.
This is why you should check your accounts at least once a week. To make sure there are no unauthorized charges.

NightTrain
12-22-2014, 08:24 AM
A company has been nailing you since July and you didn't realize it?
This is how fraud companies make money. They hit you with small charges and hope you don't notice them.
This is why you should check your accounts at least once a week. To make sure there are no unauthorized charges.

Yes, I know.

Between multiple surgeries, my brother's unexpected death and working out of town, I've been pretty busy and neglected it.

I posted this here in the hopes that it reminds everyone to check their statements.

Jeff
12-22-2014, 08:50 AM
Hate it had to happen to you Bro, the world we live in, no morals what so ever.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-22-2014, 09:39 AM
Yes, I know.

Between multiple surgeries, my brother's unexpected death and working out of town, I've been pretty busy and neglected it.

I posted this here in the hopes that it reminds everyone to check their statements.

Very sorry to hear of your brother's death my friend.... --Tyr

aboutime
12-22-2014, 06:14 PM
Not advertising in any way here but...my wife and I learned to make certain we check our bank statement ONLINE every day. And, after being burned for two duplicate charges of 99.00 for AMAZON, which neither of us requested, or ever signed up for. We discovered LIFELOCK. There are other security companies too, but that one costs us 25.00 per month. Something that hits hard, but gives us the feeling of more security for our limited funding each month. They DO what they brag about. And you are insured up to 1 Million dollars if anyone breaches your accounts.

tailfins
12-22-2014, 06:19 PM
Not advertising in any way here but...my wife and I learned to make certain we check our bank statement ONLINE every day. And, after being burned for two duplicate charges of 99.00 for AMAZON, which neither of us requested, or ever signed up for. We discovered LIFELOCK. There are other security companies too, but that one costs us 25.00 per month. Something that hits hard, but gives us the feeling of more security for our limited funding each month. They DO what they brag about. And you are insured up to 1 Million dollars if anyone breaches your accounts.

Enter promo code RUSH and get 10% off. If you want to support Rush Limbaugh's advertisers, this is one opportunity.

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/search?query=lifelock

aboutime
12-22-2014, 06:22 PM
Enter promo code RUSH and get 10% off.

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/search?query=lifelock

Screw you tailfins. You just had to turn this into something dishonest on your part, didn't you.?

Never mind everyone. None of you actually listen to me anyhow. Take tailfins advice, stay stupid.

tailfins
12-22-2014, 06:24 PM
Screw you tailfins. You just had to turn this into something dishonest on your part, didn't you.?

Never mind everyone. None of you actually listen to me anyhow. Take tailfins advice, stay stupid.

What? You want people to pay full price? Are you one of those anti-coupon snobs?

indago
06-11-2015, 07:17 AM
Journalist Ken Sweet wrote for The Associated Press 10 June 2015:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
U.S. banks, tired of spending billions each year to pay back fleeced consumers, are in the process of replacing tens of millions of old magnetic strip credit and debit cards with new cards that are equipped with computer chips that store account data more securely. ...That 50-year-old technology, replaced in most of world, lingers on the back of U.S. cards and is easily copied by thieves, leaving people vulnerable to fraud.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

article (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_CREDIT_CARD_CHANGES_QA?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2015-06-10-17-39-32)