PDA

View Full Version : MmmMmmm

Kathianne
12-23-2014, 02:32 PM
Lunch. Grilled Munster with peppered bacon sammy; Tomato basil soup.

jimnyc
12-23-2014, 03:00 PM
Lunch. Grilled Munster with peppered bacon sammy; Tomato basil soup.

I was just thinking about how hungry I was, and then opened this! Nothing better than a good grilled cheese sandwich and tomato soup on a cold day! And of course, even double better when bacon is added into the mix!!

Kathianne
12-23-2014, 03:07 PM
I was just thinking about how hungry I was, and then opened this! Nothing better than a good grilled cheese sandwich and tomato soup on a cold day! And of course, even double better when bacon is added into the mix!!

Easy and sooooo good!

jimnyc
12-23-2014, 03:13 PM
Easy and sooooo good!

All I have now is a stinking bag of Lays potato chips :(

But I do have an awesome box of Macarons from a special place in the city!! Apparently these little bastards are like $250 per box!!! Granted, there are a lot, but I don't like them THAT much!! I may eat one or 30. :)

http://www.danasbakery.com/db/order-now.html/

LongTermGuy
12-23-2014, 09:42 PM
Think about it........:coffee:

https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.607990386799870518&pid=15.1&P=0

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-23-2014, 09:44 PM
Triple meat bologna sandwich with lettuce, tomato and sliced onion . With the bologna pre-fried to just the right level of crispness, burn slightly around the edges, mustard or mayo optional. I just sprinkle mine with Lousianna Hot sauce instead.
And on special day add in a couple slice Jalepeno peppers and favorite cheese..
iced cold RC cola and Nacho cheese flavored Doritos chips..
My healthy food diet allows me this about twice a month.. three times when I cheat.. - :laugh: --Tyr

CSM
12-24-2014, 07:49 AM
Triple meat bologna sandwich with lettuce, tomato and sliced onion . With the bologna pre-fried to just the right level of crispness, burn slightly around the edges, mustard or mayo optional. I just sprinkle mine with Lousianna Hot sauce instead.
And on special day add in a couple slice Jalepeno peppers and favorite cheese..
iced cold RC cola and Nacho cheese flavored Doritos chips..
My healthy food diet allows me this about twice a month.. three times when I cheat.. - :laugh: --Tyr

Oh hell yeah!

Bilgerat
12-24-2014, 09:23 AM
Think about it........:coffee:

https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.607990386799870518&pid=15.1&P=0

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6904&stc=1

tailfins
12-24-2014, 11:03 AM
All I have now is a stinking bag of Lays potato chips :(

But I do have an awesome box of Macarons from a special place in the city!! Apparently these little bastards are like $250 per box!!! Granted, there are a lot, but I don't like them THAT much!! I may eat one or 30. :)

http://www.danasbakery.com/db/order-now.html/

Leave it to NYC to take a simple pleasure like macarons and make it obscenely expensive. They can be found for $1.33 each in Montreal.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/%C3%A0-la-folie-montr%C3%A9al

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-24-2014, 01:11 PM
Oh hell yeah!

Always knew you to be a wise man and that comment seals it in gold!!! :beer: :salute: :beer:

My Southern fried bologna sandwich comes directly from my grandfather's favorite sandwich recipe.
He used back then what they called "rag-bologna" (haven't a clue what that is myself) and he covered his in black pepper instead of Louisiana hot sauce , with a pinch of salt..

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year !!-Tyr

CSM
12-29-2014, 07:54 AM
Always knew you to be a wise man and that comment seals it in gold!!! :beer: :salute: :beer:

My Southern fried bologna sandwich comes directly from my grandfather's favorite sandwich recipe.
He used back then what they called "rag-bologna" (haven't a clue what that is myself) and he covered his in black pepper instead of Louisiana hot sauce , with a pinch of salt..

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year !!-Tyr

I am a "granite Yankee" from the wilds of New Hampshire. I just like bologna sandwiches of any type but my favorite is fried as you describe!

Bilgerat
12-29-2014, 10:20 AM
He used back then what they called "rag-bologna" (haven't a clue what that is myself)

Rag Baloney is a long roll of baloney traditionally sold wrapped in a fine mesh cloth or cheesecloth (thus the reference to "rag"), though plastic is now more common.

Jeff
12-29-2014, 10:29 AM
Rag Baloney is a long roll of baloney traditionally sold wrapped in a fine mesh cloth or cheesecloth (thus the reference to "rag"), though plastic is now more common.

When I was a kid My Dad use to bring that Rag Baloney home and yup y'all got it right, fried until the edges where just starting to burn and ya had it going on, once it was fried your choice of condiments didn't matter, I like it just about anyway, but Louisiana Hot sauce , That's killer there, but I didn't get that until I moved south.

tailfins
12-29-2014, 10:36 AM
I am a "granite Yankee" from the wilds of New Hampshire. I just like bologna sandwiches of any type but my favorite is fried as you describe!

Did you stay? I just couldn't bear the New England housing shortage any longer and had to get out. I'm in the Dallas/Fort Worth area now where I get Boston-style pay rates with no state income tax and a nice big recent construction house for the price of a two bedroom apartment in New England. If you go somewhere in New England that doesn't have a housing shortage, pay rates fall off a cliff. Actually, I start a new gig next week here in Texas that pays MORE than I ever earned in New England.

Drummond
12-29-2014, 11:47 AM
I'd say that this is where the British can shine. One of my favourite dishes (I indulge most Saturday afternoons) is a plate full of fish and chips (the mushy kind, with thick, crispy batter coverings over what's usually cod). Add to that (depending on mood) either a big dollop of tomato sauce, or (i.e usually) a couple of cloves of garlic to munch through .. and a couple of slices of bread (sometimes adding a bacon sandwich if I'm in the mood ... I might've been spurred into it after walking past the local mosque).

It's got everything. Rich in carbohydrates, protein, iodine (the garlic is the richest land-based source of it known) ... and is a filling, tasty dish with added bite !

Of course, since we became swamped with political correctness, the clientele for takeaway dishes has shifted to mile-high kebabs (especially in London). But what the hell ... I'm minutes away from a brilliant fish and chip shop. Also sells great saveloys, and steak and kidney pies (£1.60 per deep-filled pie with steak chunks in it) ...

Americans never devote pies to meat or potato fillings .. is that true ? If not, you really don't know what you're missing.

tailfins
12-29-2014, 12:51 PM
Americans never devote pies to meat or potato fillings .. is that true ? If not, you really don't know what you're missing.

Those are called "pot pies". And no that doesn't mean (yet) that the crust is laced with weed.

Jeff
12-29-2014, 03:00 PM
I'd say that this is where the British can shine. One of my favourite dishes (I indulge most Saturday afternoons) is a plate full of fish and chips (the mushy kind, with thick, crispy batter coverings over what's usually cod). Add to that (depending on mood) either a big dollop of tomato sauce, or (i.e usually) a couple of cloves of garlic to munch through .. and a couple of slices of bread (sometimes adding a bacon sandwich if I'm in the mood ... I might've been spurred into it after walking past the local mosque).

It's got everything. Rich in carbohydrates, protein, iodine (the garlic is the richest land-based source of it known) ... and is a filling, tasty dish with added bite !

Of course, since we became swamped with political correctness, the clientele for takeaway dishes has shifted to mile-high kebabs (especially in London). But what the hell ... I'm minutes away from a brilliant fish and chip shop. Also sells great saveloys, and steak and kidney pies (£1.60 per deep-filled pie with steak chunks in it) ...

Now that sounds good as well, Last time I had real good Fish and Chips was a few years ago, seems like it just isn't that big here in the South and I haven't been on the road in a while.

Bilgerat
12-29-2014, 03:19 PM
Those are called "pot pies". And no that doesn't mean (yet) that the crust is laced with weed.

There is a slight difference between a pot pie and a steak & kidney pie :cool:

My Mom was from Ireland, and when money was "tight" we would see a large pie come out of the kitchen.

Calling the beef "steak" was a bit generous :laugh:

And the kidneys were usually from sheep. Da would always say that Mom "boiled the piss out of them" :laugh:

The last ingredient was onions and brown gravy

It was always served with lots of mash

sundaydriver
12-29-2014, 04:02 PM
Tomorrow is "Pastie day" here. A Pastie is a turnover with beef, potatoes and onion, They are also made with almost anything in place of the beef. spinach, lobster, ham, etc. Pastie's originated s a Welsh "pocket" food for the miners and Churches here still make them to sell on Tuesdays. Ohh, the Butcher shops make the best Ring Baloney. The locals can tell by taste which of the 4 shops it's from. :thumb:

Drummond
12-29-2014, 05:17 PM
Tomorrow is "Pastie day" here. A Pastie is a turnover with beef, potatoes and onion, They are also made with almost anything in place of the beef. spinach, lobster, ham, etc. Pastie's originated s a Welsh "pocket" food for the miners and Churches here still make them to sell on Tuesdays. Ohh, the Butcher shops make the best Ring Baloney. The locals can tell by taste which of the 4 shops it's from. :thumb:

Sounds rather similar to what I know of as a pastie. We've a couple of variations ... one based on a spam filling, another of cheese and ham. By far the most common is a 'Cornish Pastie', roughly the same as your first description - sold in all supermarkets and most food shops.

Drummond
12-29-2014, 05:25 PM
[B]

Now that sounds good as well, Last time I had real good Fish and Chips was a few years ago, seems like it just isn't that big here in the South and I haven't been on the road in a while.

Quite a shame, that.

Despite the inexorable emergence of kebab shops in the UK (roughly on a par with mosques), fish and chips have never lost their popularity here, so you're always pretty much guaranteed to be within easy travelling distance from a shop selling it. Besides, over here, you can buy ready-prepared versions in supermarkets (heat in an oven .. not the same quality, though).

Bilgerat
12-29-2014, 06:08 PM
Quite a shame, that.

Despite the inexorable emergence of kebab shops in the UK (roughly on a par with mosques), fish and chips have never lost their popularity here, so you're always pretty much guaranteed to be within easy travelling distance from a shop selling it. Besides, over here, you can buy ready-prepared versions in supermarkets (heat in an oven .. not the same quality, though).

Loved the Fish & Chip Shops when I was "over there".

My buds from Main Propulsion and I went to a pub very near a Guinness brewery.

They took pity on us Yanks and would pull a few pitchers up, then pour our drinks from the cooler of the pull.

I feel Jeff's pain. I now live in a lovely town in South Florida and they think that fried fish should be catfish. Not quite the same as good northern cod

Jeff
12-30-2014, 07:36 AM
There is a slight difference between a pot pie and a steak & kidney pie :cool:

My Mom was from Ireland, and when money was "tight" we would see a large pie come out of the kitchen.

Calling the beef "steak" was a bit generous :laugh:

And the kidneys were usually from sheep. Da would always say that Mom "boiled the piss out of them" :laugh:

The last ingredient was onions and brown gravy

It was always served with lots of mash

I wanted to explain this, I knew there was a difference ( thank you Andrew Zimmerman ) :laugh: but didn't know enough to explain it.

CSM
12-30-2014, 08:20 AM
Did you stay? I just couldn't bear the New England housing shortage any longer and had to get out. I'm in the Dallas/Fort Worth area now where I get Boston-style pay rates with no state income tax and a nice big recent construction house for the price of a two bedroom apartment in New England. If you go somewhere in New England that doesn't have a housing shortage, pay rates fall off a cliff. Actually, I start a new gig next week here in Texas that pays MORE than I ever earned in New England.

Born and raised in NH.... spent almost 30 years in the Army travelling the world and returned home. Only had to rent for a short time while looking for a house so didn't really experience the housing shortage thing. Make very good wages where I am now; nearing retirement so not really looking to change anything. I will say that NH has changed since I was a kid (thanks to all the MA. refugees) but I still like it here.