PDA

View Full Version : Justin's big surprise tomorrow morning!

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-24-2014, 09:52 PM
Justin just turned eight years old on the 23rd, two days before Christmas.
Birthday is now over and only his Christmas presents remain unopened.
One present he is very anxious to open because its long and heavy. He doesn't know it yet but I bought him this present three weeks ago from a friend..
His first real gun, a single shot bolt action 22 caliber rifle.. Of course its his but he will only take true ownership in his late teens.
Come warm weather next year he will practice under my supervision with his very own rifle..... Until then the rifle stays locked in gun-safe with trigger lock on it as well and ammo locked away in ammo box. SAFETY ,SAFETY, ALWAYS FIRST.....
A shame but he can not these days be allowed to roam around at the age of 9 and 10 with a 22 caliber rifle as I did on the farm back in the 1960's .. I did so with no problem, no mishaps and no transgressions of my father's safety rules..
Times are different and I see no reason for him to be as trained as early as I was then..
He is already three years behind the gun training schedule I was on back then. I bowed to my wife's wishes that three year gap but gave not another inch...
A man must take a stand at some point.. Can not let her sissy-fy him as she would do--she never touched a gun and her family never even owned one!!!... Almost sacrilege for a Southern man to have to ponder about!! -Tyr

LongTermGuy
12-24-2014, 10:00 PM
Justin just turned eight years old on the 23rd, two days before Christmas.
Birthday is now over and only his Christmas presents remain unopened.
One present he is very anxious to open because its long and heavy. He doesn't know it yet but I bought him this present three weeks ago from a friend..
His first real gun, a single shot bolt action 22 caliber rifle.. Of course its his but he will only take true ownership in his late teens.
Come warm weather next year he will practice under my supervision with his very own rifle..... Until then the rifle stays locked in gun-safe with trigger lock on it as well and ammo locked away in ammo box. SAFETY ,SAFETY, ALWAYS FIRST.....
A shame but he can not these days be allowed to roam around at the age of 9 and 10 with a 22 caliber rifle as I did on the farm back in the 1960's .. I did so with no problem, no mishaps and no transgressions of my father's safety rules..
Times are different and I see no reason for him to be as trained as early as I was then..
He is already three years behind the gun training schedule I was on back then. I bowed to my wife's wishes that three year gap but gave not another inch...
A man must take a stand at some point.. Can not let her sissy-fy him as she would do--she never touched a gun and her family never even owned one!!!... Almost sacrilege for a Southern man to have to ponder about!! -Tyr

:salute:

`Teach` them young.....let them learn.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLRyvgKr4sU#t=18

Jeff
12-25-2014, 05:09 AM
My kids got there first guns at around the same age but I went with the 410 shotgun for them, and they couldn't even hold ammo until I felt they where safe enough, I would carry it for them and hand them one at a time to make sure no accidents, I am sure Justin will enjoy the 22 a lot, great all around gun and reasonable to shoot.

sundaydriver
12-26-2014, 09:14 AM
Good gift. What make & model? I'm still shooting my first .22 rifle, Mossberg 1954D.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-26-2014, 11:23 AM
My kids got there first guns at around the same age but I went with the 410 shotgun for them, and they couldn't even hold ammo until I felt they where safe enough, I would carry it for them and hand them one at a time to make sure no accidents, I am sure Justin will enjoy the 22 a lot, great all around gun and reasonable to shoot.
A friend of mine had a CZ 452 Ultra Lux Rim-fire Rifle , 22 LR that he mentioned he would sale.
I WENT OVER TO HIS HOUSE, CHECKED IT OUT, SHOT IT AND BOUGHT THAT DAY.
Now Justin has to wait to shoot the rifle until next Spring.. I figure the anticipation will be good for him and teach him patience as well.. Of course he wanted to load up drive to the spot I shot at and shoot right then immediately after opening the present!
That's when I came up with the thought, ----make him wait---- he is like his mom--wants everything immediately.
Gonna teach him a few non-gun things with this present--like learning to wait and some things simply must be earned... --Tyr

Kathianne
04-07-2016, 10:01 AM
Just saw this while looking at 'who's online.' Was probably a bot, but how about an update, Tyr?

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
04-07-2016, 10:35 AM
Justin was doing fine for about 9 months, we shot about twice a month. He followed every rule that I laid down about safety and how, when and where to fire. He was shooting slightly above average at that point.
Then one day, while out shooting behind my sister's house, with me standing there, he picked up the rifle (it was unloaded) before I told him to.
I took the empty gun from him , spanked him and gave him a one year suspension on our shooting.
One year was up many months ago but due to some in home "mistakes" he made, its been extended.
June this year, if he acts right, we will start over!
He has to learn severe consequences result and are adamantly enforced if he disregards safety rules on any weapon use.
I never made a mistake until I was fifteen, forgot to unload the 22 caliber rifle before stepping one foot into our yard.
My dad saw that , took the gun and banned me from using any gun for a damn long, long time.
Trust me, I've never made a mistake with a gun since and that was 47 years ago!
I don't play about some things...
He asked me a week ago how long until we shoot again.
I told him maybe in June-- if he acts right!--Tyr