PDA

View Full Version : Over-Used Words, Terms, and Phrases

Elessar
12-27-2014, 07:19 PM
Are there any over-used (or improperly used) Words, Terms, or Phrases that make your teeth grind
whenever you read or hear them?

Two immediately come to me:

1. I can't wait for / to see / to hear_____________________________.

If something is happening, being shown, or being created in the future - You Will Have to Wait!

2. (Posted or Uttered at the End of a statement) ....Just Sayin!

Well of course you just said it! Duh!

P.S. - let's try to keep this light!:beer:

tailfins
12-27-2014, 08:34 PM
1. Irregardless
2. COULD care less
3. Marshall Law (Do you mean perhaps Thurgood Marshall or maybe Marshall Matt Dillon?)
4. Four wheeling (all cars/trucks/SUVs have four wheels)
5. Just minutes away (In reality NYC is just minutes away from Los Angeles)
6. Just pennies a day (The national debt rises by just pennies a day)

For the morons that use the above expression, here is what you should use.
1. Regardless
2. COULDN'T care less
3. Martial Law
4. Offroading
5. Make a reasonable estimate of the travel time
6. Make a reasonable estimate of the cost.

aboutime
12-27-2014, 09:06 PM
TWO words most Americans will never hear being used, or referred to by Democrats, or Obama.

HONEST and TRUTH.

LongTermGuy
12-27-2014, 09:30 PM
TWO words most Americans will never hear being used, or referred to by Democrats, or Obama.

HONEST and TRUTH.

​`Spot on!`

sundaydriver
12-28-2014, 07:53 AM
Moving Forward. I've hated this term ever it became a business "buzz word" to be over used as often as possible in meetings & discussions. :eek:

Elessar
12-28-2014, 11:27 AM
Moving Forward. I've hated this term ever it became a business "buzz word" to be over used as often as possible in meetings & discussions. :eek:

Most business 'buzz words' make my eyes roll!

C'mon People...be original when you speak!

Elessar
12-28-2014, 11:30 AM
....More:

In INTERNET Forums or on-line chat rooms - the use of 'Text Speak' grinds my teeth.

Examples:

U - is not a word or Pronoun

R - is not a word or Verb

That is just lazy and ignorant speech. (I NEVER Text!)

In Military Message Traffic - Mishap Reports:

"Loss of Situational Awareness" - Damn! Just say 'was not paying attention'! Situational is not even a word!

-Using the term 'Signage' instead of just saying Signs!

tailfins
12-28-2014, 11:31 AM
Most business 'buzz words' make my eyes roll!

C'mon People...be original when you speak!

We need to regroup and consider a paradigm shift.

Said1
12-28-2014, 02:29 PM
Soul mate and The One.

aboutime
12-28-2014, 02:32 PM
"Whatever, and That's what I'm talkin' about".

And my wife learned to despise hearing anyone she worked with say "Chillin's" (for Children).

Ebonics has never, and never should replace Human-speak.

NightTrain
12-28-2014, 07:43 PM
Progressive.

Elessar
12-28-2014, 08:44 PM
"Whatever, and That's what I'm talkin' about".

And my wife learned to despise hearing anyone she worked with say "Chillin's" (for Children).

Ebonics has never, and never should replace Human-speak..

Good ones!

"That's what I'm talkin' about". I've seen and heard that a lot out of prototyping Blacks
that cannot put two words into sentence...

Ignorant fools..

red state
12-28-2014, 10:48 PM
Three of the most despised grammar errors (in my opinion):

1. You know what I mean....

2. Up in here..... Up in there.... Up in yo face.....

3. Where are you AT (or worse: WHERE U @) Where's the remote AT? ETC, Etc, etc.

I correct my children all the time for this mangled use of a preposition word (AT). In most cases, the problem with children today is their parents not correcting them. Our schools, society and parents have literally bred illiteracy. As a result of our neglect and counting on others to raise our children (INCORRECTLY) we see the hoards of liberalism, violent riots and other scenarios that threaten our NATION. At the very least, this thread addresses the threat directed towards our LANGUAGE.

red state
12-28-2014, 10:54 PM

Good ones!

"That's what I'm talkin' about". I've seen and heard that a lot out of prototyping Blacks
that cannot put two words into sentence...

Ignorant fools..

LIKE....................that is now a four letter word that I must move to the top of my list. LIKE is entirely over used and I literally cringe when hearing it. As Elessar stated, it derives from pure ignorance. The F-bomb is another one and we seem to witness the fruits or our new culture by simply watching a movie. It seems that the writers of today are not only illiterate within the ENGLISH language but equally illiterate when it comes to writing profanity. There are other "wirdy-dords" more frequently used than the F-bomb. It is simply a decline in intelligence, creativity and morals.

tailfins
12-29-2014, 09:22 AM
LIKE....................that is now a four letter word that I must move to the top of my list. LIKE is entirely over used and I literally cringe when hearing it. As Elessar stated, it derives from pure ignorance. The F-bomb is another one and we seem to witness the fruits or our new culture by simply watching a movie. It seems that the writers of today are not only illiterate within the ENGLISH language but equally illiterate when it comes to writing profanity. There are other "wirdy-dords" more frequently used than the F-bomb. It is simply a decline in intelligence, creativity and morals.

If I tell you my ID can you LIKE me on Facebook?