PDA

View Full Version : Suburban Atlanta police chief says he was moving gun when he shot his sleeping wife

Jeff
01-03-2015, 08:04 AM
This is the type of thing gun owners don't need, this idiot who was a firearm instructor for the police and now a police chief, and he accidentally shoots his wife :rolleyes: Personally I am not buying it, someone who has taught safety wouldn't have a loaded weapon in the bed with him in the first place, they make a holster that connects to the Box Spring witch hides your gun but gives you access to it while in bed, I personally know a few cops that own these. I think once his wife is speaking there may be a different story but no matter what I think he should be charged, I am just not sure what I would charge him with.

ATLANTA (Reuters) - A suburban Atlanta police chief told a 911 emergency dispatcher that he accidentally shot his wife, critically wounding her, on New Year's Day after moving his loaded work pistol while she slept in their bed.
“Gunshot wound, accidental, need medical ASAP,” Peachtree City Police Chief William McCollom said in an emergency call recording released on Friday.
“The gun was in the bed and I tried to move it, put it to the side, and then it went off," he told the dispatcher during a call placed at about 4 a.m. local time.
McCollom, who has been the police chief of the Atlanta suburb for about a year, was placed on administrative leave pending an investigation into the shooting. He has not been charged with a crime and is cooperating with investigators, said Georgia Bureau of Investigation spokeswoman Sherry Lang.

http://news.yahoo.com/suburban-atlanta-police-chief-says-moving-gun-shot-215350892.html

tailfins
01-03-2015, 10:08 AM
This is the type of thing gun owners don't need, this idiot who was a firearm instructor for the police and now a police chief, and he accidentally shoots his wife :rolleyes: Personally I am not buying it, someone who has taught safety wouldn't have a loaded weapon in the bed with him in the first place, they make a holster that connects to the Box Spring witch hides your gun but gives you access to it while in bed, I personally know a few cops that own these. I think once his wife is speaking there may be a different story but no matter what I think he should be charged, I am just not sure what I would charge him with.

http://news.yahoo.com/suburban-atlanta-police-chief-says-moving-gun-shot-215350892.html

If she doesn't die the charge would be felony Reckless Endangerment.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-03-2015, 02:57 PM

I am not buying his story. Either he is a total idiot or else he shot her with intent to kill her.
I bet if/when she talks we found out she was asleep but has knowledge and reasons as to why he would shoot her deliberately..
Odds are about 9 to 1 that he is lying IMHO..-TYR

SassyLady
01-03-2015, 04:29 PM
this is the type of thing gun owners don't need, this idiot who was a firearm instructor for the police and now a police chief, and he accidentally shoots his wife :rolleyes: Personally i am not buying it, someone who has taught safety wouldn't have a loaded weapon in the bed with him in the first place, they make a holster that connects to the box spring witch hides your gun but gives you access to it while in bed, i personally know a few cops that own these. I think once his wife is speaking there may be a different story but no matter what i think he should be charged, i am just not sure what i would charge him with.

stupidity??

Jeff
01-03-2015, 07:12 PM
stupidity??

I thought so at first Sassy but if he taught gun safety and he is a cop let alone police chief, it just doesn't add up, and if you listen to the 911 call he is just to calm.

tailfins
01-03-2015, 07:34 PM
I thought so at first Sassy but if he taught gun safety and he is a cop let alone police chief, it just doesn't add up, and if you listen to the 911 call he is just to calm.

It's interesting that it's not an important consideration. It's already felony Reckless Endangerment regardless, intent would just add a second charge of Felonious Assault. If he walks, consider it corruption in big neon lights.

sundaydriver
01-06-2015, 05:21 AM
Very little is being released about this so I suspect there is a serious investigation ongoing by the authorities.

This couple were divorced years ago an only recently reunited after is 2nd wife divorced him for cheating on her. 2 shots fired accidently while in bed together, Hmmm? :rolleyes:

darin
01-06-2015, 06:17 AM
I have never met a Gun-smart person who would or COULD use the phrase "It went off".

IT doesn't "go off".

I smell a rat.

tailfins
01-06-2015, 07:30 AM
I have never met a Gun-smart person who would or COULD use the phrase "It went off".

IT doesn't "go off".

I smell a rat.

You haven't met my late brother-in-law, he had a firearm go off into the fireplace when Elementary age children were in the area. Some people really are THAT stupid. However, idiocy is not a defense for negligence.

Jeff
01-06-2015, 07:48 AM
You haven't met my late brother-in-law, he had a firearm go off into the fireplace when Elementary age children were in the area. Some people really are THAT stupid. However, idiocy is not a defense for negligence.

Yes some are that stupid but that gun didn't JUST go off, someone pulled the trigger.