PDA

View Full Version : My Daughter's friend dies from flu/pneumonia

darin
01-03-2015, 11:05 PM
http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/armada-sophomore-dies-of-flu-pneumonia/30507290

Danie was a purely delightful young lady and our hearts are broken. She was simply wonderfully sweet, kind, and strong.

My daughter is coping with feelings of loss and denial and all that; but Danie's family is obviously hurting. If you pray, prayers are welcome.

gabosaurus
01-03-2015, 11:41 PM
That story hit me pretty hard, but I worry about that happening to my daughter. She has a suppressed immune system. The body can still fight off infections, but particular viruses can be potentially fatal. And you don't know which ones.

My heart goes out to the family. It is a parent's worst nightmare. dmp, I will also pray for you to have to strength to help your daughter cope with this tragedy.

Jeff
01-04-2015, 09:04 AM
http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/armada-sophomore-dies-of-flu-pneumonia/30507290

Danie was a purely delightful young lady and our hearts are broken. She was simply wonderfully sweet, kind, and strong.

My daughter is coping with feelings of loss and denial and all that; but Danie's family is obviously hurting. If you pray, prayers are welcome.

That story hit me pretty hard, but I worry about that happening to my daughter. She has a suppressed immune system. The body can still fight off infections, but particular viruses can be potentially fatal. And you don't know which ones.

My heart goes out to the family. It is a parent's worst nightmare. dmp, I will also pray for you to have to strength to help your daughter cope with this tragedy.

Prayers lifted for the little girl and her family and friends, may she R.I.P.

Gabby Prayers will also be lifted for your little girl, I was taking meds that messed with my Immune system ( immune modulators is what they called them I believe ) and the Doc explained I would be at risk to catch many different things ( in my case it was any lung issue ) but the Doc also explained provided I got to the Docs once a month for blood work they could keep count of everything to make sure all was in tolerance and working the way it should or they would counter it by giving me what I needed to pick up or bring down counts, not sure if your daughter has to go threw all that ( I sure hope not ) but as I said she will be in my prayers.

gabosaurus
01-04-2015, 12:12 PM
One of the drawbacks of adoption is that you don't know your child's full medical history. You have to tread lightly and err on the side of caution.
As a secondary school counselor, I am trained to be able to deal with kids who have lost loved ones. But it is still not the same as losing one of your own. It has to be one of the most terrifying experiences imaginable.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-04-2015, 12:27 PM

My son shares that same weakness, his immune system is still below standard. I worry every flu season and will until he
gains normal level in his body's immune system.
So sad about that little girl. -Tyr

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-04-2015, 12:30 PM
One of the drawbacks of adoption is that you don't know your child's full medical history. You have to tread lightly and err on the side of caution.
As a secondary school counselor, I am trained to be able to deal with kids who have lost loved ones. But it is still not the same as losing one of your own. It has to be one of the most terrifying experiences imaginable.

It is.. When its your own its magnified a billion fold. This I sadly know from experience twice.......-Tyr

PixieStix
01-04-2015, 12:44 PM
That is so awful. My heartfelt condolences to all who feel the loss of this young girl.

I worry about my son, he has a weakened immune system, because of a medication he has to be on, in fact he has almost no immune system. When I get the flu or a cold, I obsess about cleaning. I also stay far from him. How sad is that? I have the flu as we speak. I have never felt so sick from the flu in my life

Jeff
01-04-2015, 02:52 PM

Gabby I lost my oldest son when he was just 2 days old, you are correct that was 28 years ago and I still haven't found anything even close to how hard that was and to this day I think of him daily. Now my son was only 2 days old think of the poor folks that lose a child at the age of this young lady, my heart goes out to her family and friends, my God these poor parents.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-04-2015, 04:23 PM

Sorry your daughter must endure this loss. I lost my best friend due to a car accident when I was a young man and it was a devastating experience for me..
A tragedy for her family and all that knew and cared for her ..-Tyr

gabosaurus
01-04-2015, 04:36 PM
Gabby I lost my oldest son when he was just 2 days old, you are correct that was 28 years ago and I still haven't found anything even close to how hard that was and to this day I think of him daily. Now my son was only 2 days old think of the poor folks that lose a child at the age of this young lady, my heart goes out to her family and friends, my God these poor parents.

That is really sad. I have a co-worker who lost a child that was less than a year old and it still affects her.

darin
01-06-2015, 02:48 AM
Thank you, all. Harest part of building resiliency is going thru it.

sundaydriver
01-06-2015, 05:44 AM
So very sorry for your Daughters loss of a friend. Working an ER & as a volunteer firefighter, loss of young life is the saddest site I've ever seen.

Perianne
01-06-2015, 12:23 PM
:(

Trigg
01-07-2015, 03:26 PM
Daren, I'm so sorry to hear about this and I'm praying for your daughter as well as the little girls family.

This flu season is hitting everyone so hard. Nuke and I both fought it off during the Christmas season, somehow our kids didn't/haven't come down with it for which we are immensely grateful,.

Nukeman
01-08-2015, 07:28 PM
D. sorry to hear about your daughters friend. we have had to deal with a increased number of deaths this year in my hospital normally we would see 1-3 elderly patients a year we have seen 7 in the past month alone. This is a VERY serious strain this year and the vaccine was all but worthless due to some mutations this year. it has hit young people especially hard.

So sorry for everything yur daughter is going through that is hard let alone at a young age.. if you need anything my number hasn't changed, give me a call..

darin
01-09-2015, 06:31 AM
during the memorial/viewing and the funeral mass I took notes on my phone to help-capture the feelings I processed. Below are the notes - and some explanation if needed.

From the Memorial/Viewing
I sat throught the memorial listening to a heavily accented (read: hard to understand) priest go through what sounded like (and later I confirmed) scripted process of remembrance. I felt offended to have who appeared to be a stranger leading a group of mourners through the process of saying goodbye. He called her Danielle. She hated being called Danielle. It was Danie or nothing. After his whatever it was, he invited the audience to speak about danie. A couple women came forward

I do not understand. Am i merely cynical or do i lack basic understanding? This service becomes a game of who-misses-her-most. We direct attention towards ourselves and the pain we feel. If the service is for danie OUR names matter not; even the bond we shared matters less - the love and admiration (we carried for danie) centers solely and irrevocably WITH danie; She gave us the privilege of her acquaintance and the blessing of her smile. The force with which danie touched lives (should) drive these tributes to build-once-again if only for a second or a minute or god-willing an hour remembrance in the hearts of we who remain.

The next day we left for the Funeral Mass. Holy Cow. Catholocism is foriegn to me. The rites and rituals and complexities. I simply do NOT understand how this could benefit ANYONE. During this time I faced a few conflicts and came to an understanding. Just as I can't fathom a benefit of making God so...(in my view) out of touch, or 'far away' or foreign to mankind by way of the requirements of merely worship - there were some in the service obviously moved at what we went through. The END justifies the means. If this ministers to others - good. That's the bottom line - whether I agree or not.

At the mass now - am struggling to listen despite my frustration; to pick out the best aspects of the message and see what may apply. While i dont understand god from their perspective i can find ways to appreciate their sincerity
Communion - i see its affects upon the congregation and feel less cynical knowing their hearts find solace and comfort in such rituals
I was fine until they said "lets us take danie, in peace, to her final resting place. Yeah. Tears and stuff now

Procession to the cemetary
At the graveside now. Still in the truck - wind-chill has it about -15. People are crying as they gather. My daughter is both strong AND a wreck.

darin
12-29-2015, 02:06 AM
Miss you, Danie.

Gunny
12-29-2015, 02:35 AM
Sorry your daughter must endure this loss. I lost my best friend due to a car accident when I was a young man and it was a devastating experience for me..
A tragedy for her family and all that knew and cared for her ..-Tyr

I hear ya, brother. Lost my best friend. Wasn't no car accident. But it completely changed my life. I hope you do better than I have.

Bilgerat
12-29-2015, 02:04 PM
My condolences my friend

Elessar
12-29-2015, 02:12 PM

Things like this make my throat thicken and eyes leak.

Bless the memory of that pretty girl.

Angels have her now.

Elessar
12-29-2015, 02:15 PM
That is really sad. I have a co-worker who lost a child that was less than a year old and it still affects her.

I had a co-worker, one of the best, who lost a child still in the womb.
That devastated both her and her hubby.

glockmail
12-29-2015, 02:16 PM
Damn that's rough.