PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Lee Lewis’ 1959 Harley-Davidson goes to auction

Jeff
01-10-2015, 06:37 AM
Man I would love to have this bike as I guess most all bike enthusiast would, it's funny though to hear about the ol 74 inch Harleys ( 1200cc) yes at one time they where the big ones, My Harley is 103 inch ( 1749 cc) and other companies make a 2000 cc motor, all over kill, that 1200 did the job just fine back in the day.

But man I bet this bike will bring one heck of a price tag, not only is it a pristine 59 Pan it was owned by Jerry Lee Lewis, someone is going to shell out a bunch of coin to take this one home.

Vintage Harley Davidson motorcycles tend to pique quite a lot of interest when they cross the auction block. But when Jerry Lee Lewis’ classic 1959 Harley Davidson Panhead crosses the block at Mecum’s Kissimmee (https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail.cfm?lot_id=FL0115-206323) event, well – we wouldn’t be surprised if there was a “Whole Lotta Shakin’ Goin’ On.” And a whole lotta bidding.
The rock ‘n roll pioneer has decided to let go of this, one of his most treasured Harleys, after a long and loving 55 years of ownership. The bike was given as a gift by Harley Davidson in 1959, and caused quite a stir with another rock idol of the day. More on that in a minute.

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/jerry-lee-lewis-1959-harley-davidson-goes-auction-220036159.html

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-10-2015, 11:34 AM
Man I would love to have this bike as I guess most all bike enthusiast would, it's funny though to hear about the ol 74 inch Harleys ( 1200cc) yes at one time they where the big ones, My Harley is 103 inch ( 1749 cc) and other companies make a 2000 cc motor, all over kill, that 1200 did the job just fine back in the day.

But man I bet this bike will bring one heck of a price tag, not only is it a pristine 59 Pan it was owned by Jerry Lee Lewis, someone is going to shell out a bunch of coin to take this one home.

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/jerry-lee-lewis-1959-harley-davidson-goes-auction-220036159.html
Do you think it will hit a hundred thousand? I am guessing that if it does it will not go much if any over.
Jerry Lee is not the big name he once was my friend.
I love the bike and I am also a big fan of Jerry Lee's brand of Rock n' Roll .....
Just remember this, they don't call him the "Killer" for nothing.. :laugh:-----Tyr

Jeff
01-10-2015, 12:01 PM
Do you think it will hit a hundred thousand? I am guessing that if it does it will not go much if any over.
Jerry Lee is not the big name he once was my friend.
I love the bike and I am also a big fan of Jerry Lee's brand of Rock n' Roll .....
Just remember this, they don't call him the "Killer" for nothing.. :laugh:-----Tyr

I helped a buddy put a Pan together back in the day, it was on a rigid frame with a Girder front end, painted pearl white, the gas tank and rear fender where white as was the frame ( no front fender, it had been raked and stretched so no need ) the jugs where powder coated to look as chrome as they could and everything else on the bike was chrome, every nut and bolt on the bike matched and back then it sold for $5400, the reason I bring this up is I have seen Pans in that shape ( some not as nice ) sell for well over $50,000 so I am guessing this stock from the factory Pan will easily fetch $100,000 or better, I am betting on the later, the bike alone should bring that now add the famous person that owned it.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-10-2015, 12:18 PM
I helped a buddy put a Pan together back in the day, it was on a rigid frame with a Girder front end, painted pearl white, the gas tank and rear fender where white as was the frame ( no front fender, it had been raked and stretched so no need ) the jugs where powder coated to look as chrome as they could and everything else on the bike was chrome, every nut and bolt on the bike matched and back then it sold for $5400, the reason I bring this up is I have seen Pans in that shape ( some not as nice ) sell for well over $50,000 so I am guessing this stock from the factory Pan will easily fetch $100,000 or better, I am betting on the later, the bike alone should bring that now add the famous person that owned it.

Lucky guy to be able to stay in with bikes. :beer:

I will bet ya a ten spot that it does not sell for over 115,000 dollars.. Of course sometimes two bidders fight and then lock horns to double ,or even triple the appraised highest value of an item.-Tyr

Jeff
01-11-2015, 08:52 AM
Lucky guy to be able to stay in with bikes. :beer:

I will bet ya a ten spot that it does not sell for over 115,000 dollars.. Of course sometimes two bidders fight and then lock horns to double ,or even triple the appraised highest value of an item.-Tyr

I just thought of something as we wonder how much a old Pan would go for, a new Electra Glide stock now goes for right at 30,000 I have 2 friends that just bought new ones and that is what they paid, after adding a power commander a new set of pipes and air cleaner and major tune on the motor and computer they each paid 33,000 plus for a stock bike ( basically anyway ) so when ya think that this Pan is 56 years old and in pristine condition then add the famous owner, no telling how much it may go for.

sundaydriver
01-25-2015, 12:35 PM
I will bet ya a ten spot that it does not sell for over 115,000 dollars.-Tyr

Jeff, Jerry Lee's memory just made you $10 richer!

Sold for $385K

http://money.cnn.com/2015/01/23/autos/jerry-lee-lewis-motorcycle/index.html

Jeff
01-29-2015, 07:57 AM
Jeff, Jerry Lee's memory just made you $10 richer!

Sold for $385K

http://money.cnn.com/2015/01/23/autos/jerry-lee-lewis-motorcycle/index.html

Dang that is a lot of money, I knew it would go for a lot but my goodness, makes me want to leave my bike in the shop for the next 50 years :laugh:

As for the 10 spot, one day when Tyr and I come face to face he can buy the first round. :thumb:

Perianne
01-29-2015, 08:11 AM
I'm older than that bike. I wonder what I would sell for? Probably $26 dollars.