PDA

View Full Version : Talking About Anti-Semetism In France/Europe

Kathianne
01-12-2015, 01:36 PM
Two kinds, the 'old' permanent one from historical times and the new kind brought from the 'immigrants.' Contrary to the article's title, it's not just the attack last week:

http://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2015/01/12/kosher-market-attack-deepens-fears-among-european-jews

..."The European Jewry is the oldest European minority and we have our experience of surviving under all possible circumstances," Moshe Kantor, president of the European Jewish Congress, told The Associated Press. "We will not give up our motherland, which is called Europe. We will not stop the history of European Jewry, that is for sure."

Kantor called for increased security at Jewish sites, concerted action against anti-Semitism across the continent and better coordination of intelligence forces against religious extremism. But he acknowledged that if any Jewish European does not feel safe, "I say you should leave in this case."

Many French Jews already are. Last year, 7,000 emigrated to Israel as anti-Semitism spiked across France, fed by tensions with the country's large Arab population after the outbreak of Israel's war against Palestinian militants in the Gaza Strip. That was double the previous year, making France, for the first time, the No. 1 source of immigration to Israel, according to the Jewish Agency, a nonprofit group that helps Jews move to Israel...

Perianne
01-13-2015, 05:10 PM
So, who is behind these attacks on European Jews?

Kathianne
01-13-2015, 05:17 PM
So, who is behind these attacks on European Jews?
Depends on which particular one(s) you are speaking of. Obviously last week at the deli it was the second. Many of the cemetary ones have been the first group.

Perianne
01-13-2015, 05:22 PM
Depends on which particular one(s) you are speaking of. Obviously last week at the deli it was the second. Many of the cemetary ones have been the first group.

???

I mean who is particularly hating Jews. It is more related to Arabs' hatred of Jews? Skinheads or their counterparts? Maybe just a lot of different people from many walks of life.

Kathianne
01-13-2015, 05:23 PM
???

I mean who is particularly hating Jews. It is more related to Arabs' hatred of Jews? Skinheads or their counterparts? Maybe just a lot of different people from many walks of life.

The point was both groups. Two forms of anti-semetism, from the traditional Europeans and from the new 'Asians.'

revelarts
01-13-2015, 06:15 PM
Also I think Pro-palistiniane politics is dominant in France across the board, and makes for a lest than friendly environment as well.

Perianne
01-13-2015, 06:19 PM
Also I think Pro-palistiniane politics is dominant in France across the board, and makes for a lest than friendly environment as well.

I don't understand the pro-Palestinian thought process.

Kathianne
01-15-2015, 08:17 PM
Perianne, this link probably explains some of what I was referring to:

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/0115/lebrecht_france.php3

Our French lineage traces back to 1727. We're leaving

Norman Lebrecht, Special to National Post
Posted with permission from National Post
This weekend, for the first time since the Nazi era, a central synagogue had to close. The state could not protect its worshippers.

In January 1992, I took my Uncle René to the Bastille. It was our last opportunity to go to the opera. René was about to join his daughter in Israel, ending three centuries of our family's existence as French Jews - Jews who were as proud of their republican heritage as they were meticulous in their religious devotions.

Our family lived in the ninth arrondissement and normally went to the opera at the old Palais Garnier, a chandeliered relic of French pomp. René did not think much of the concrete Opéra Bastille. Nor of the country's direction. When I asked why he was leaving France, he said: "C'est terminé."
French Jews who feel endangered by terrorism can find sanctuary in Israel, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said as he flew to Paris for ceremonies mourning victims of last week's attacks by suspected Islamist gunmen.

Netanyahu urged global action to combat "radical Islam" before meeting with French President Francois Hollande and other world leaders who had also traveled to Paris to attend a rally Sunday commemorating the 17 French citizens killed, including four Jews taken hostage at a kosher supermarket.

"Any Jew who wants to come to Israel will be received with open arms," Netanyahu told reporters aboard his flight. France has the largest Jewish community in Europe, estimated by Israeli officials at 600,000.

But the rift between the Republic and its Jewish citizens did not begin last week. It has a longer history.
My family were hugely proud of being French. We can trace our lineage back to the dawn of citizenship records, to 1727, in a village on the outskirts of Strasbourg. Our patriarch was Grand Rabbin of the Lower Rhine, the first Jewish preacher to deliver sermons in French. When the Germans occupied Alsace-Lorraine in 1870, we moved to Paris. My ancestors were never going to live under any flag but the Tricolore.

We founded an orthodox synagogue at the back of the Folies-Bergère. My Aunt Fifi would giggle as we passed display cases of half-naked entertainers, whispering to me about what went on in there. On the day she was born - Aug. 1, 1914 - my grandfather went off to the Front, serving for the full four years, never omitting to wrap a Jewish talit around his French uniform at morning prayers. A wooden board in the rue Cadet synagogue lists more than 20 members of our family who gave their lives for France in that war and others - who "fell on the field of honour," in the official phrase.

We were part of France - until France ceased to be France. The problem was not the waves of North African immigration from the Sixties onwards. Those waves actually contained many Jews: Uncle René, annoyed by a young Israeli rabbi, stormed out of rue Cadet to form a new community with Moroccans and Tunisians.
For a while, Paris seemed friendlier than ever, and Jews a vital part of its élan. Alain Finkielkraut and Bernard-Henri Lévy, two popular TV philosophers, are avowedly Jewish. A celebrated bass-baritone at the Opéra, Laurent Naouri, belongs to a family of kosher supermarket owners.

My Jewish friends were out on the streets of Paris this weekend, hoping that, after this tragic moment, the tide will turn

But the alienated populace in the outer suburbs, ignored by the Republic and exploited by radical preachers, contributed to Jewish unease. Some streets were no longer safe to walk in a skullcap. Anti-Semitic rhetoric was heard on the Right, on the Left, and from the banlieues. Murderous attacks on Jewish schools aroused no national outrage on the scale seen in the past week.

So Jews fled in their thousands - many to London, where two new communities have sprung up in my own neighbourhood. Some 3,300 left for Israel in 2013, rising to 5,000 last year. Many more French Jews acquired homes abroad.

France awoke too late to the exodus. Last September, prime minister Manuel Valls, whose violinist wife is Jewish, put on a skullcap at a central synagogue and announced to the world that "a France without Jews is no longer France." This weekend, for the first time since the Nazi era, that same synagogue had to shut for the Sabbath because the state was unable to protect its worshippers.

France is in a state of moral confusion. Yesterday a million marched in Paris and the impressive Mr. Valls declared: "We are all Charlie, we are all police, we are all Jews of France."

How I long to believe that. My Jewish friends were out on the streets of Paris this weekend, hoping that, after this tragic moment, the tide will turn. For myself, I am unable to pretend that life will go on as before. My history, as a Jew of France, is over.

Kathianne
01-19-2015, 11:44 PM
Two articles I came across today:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2915480/Without-Jews-Britain-not-Britain-warns-Theresa-fears-exodus-wake-anti-Semitic-attacks.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

'Without its Jews, Britain would not be Britain,' warns Theresa May over fears of an exodus in wake of anti-Semitic attacks

Theresa May has pleaded with Jews not to leave Britain as she vowed to step up efforts to tackle anti-Semitism.

The Home Secretary said she never thought she would see the day when Jews in the UK were frightened to stay here.

Scotland Yard have promised extra patrols in Jewish areas in the wake of the gun attack on a kosher supermarket in Paris which left four people dead.

There are more than 260,000 Jewish people living in Britain, or 0.5 per cent of the population, according to the Census in 2011.

Last year saw the most anti-Semitic incidents recorded by police since records began 30 years ago, according to the Campaign Against Anti-Semitism.

On Friday posters advertising a Holocaust memorial event have been daubed with graffiti including the words 'liars' and 'killers'.
Speaking at an event to commemorate the Jewish people who died during the terror attacks in France, Mrs May said: 'The dreadful events in Paris are a reminder of the serious terrorist threat that we face.

'The attack on a Jewish supermarket, where four people were killed, is a chilling reminder of anti-Semitism, not just in France but the recent anti-Semitic prejudice that we sadly have seen in this country.

'I know that many Jewish people in this country are feeling vulnerable and fearful and you're saying that you're anxious for your families, for your children and yourselves.

'I never thought I would see the day when members of the Jewish community in the United Kingdom would say they were fearful of remaining here in the United Kingdom.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2015/01/19/paris-jews-french-population-muslim-immigration-europe-column/21959089/

French Jews are fleeing while French Muslims have no interest in being 'French'

Science fiction writer Robert A. Heinlein once wrote (https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/697618-throughout-history-poverty-is-the-normal-condition-of-man-advances):

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck."

I was reminded of this quote while reading about the ongoing diaspora of France's Jewish community. Though French Prime Minister Manuel Valls says that if 100,000 Jews leave France (http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2015/01/french-prime-minister-warns-if-jews-flee-the-republic-will-be-judged-a-failure/384410/), the country will be "a failure" and "France will no longer be France," that once-inconceivable outcome now seems entirely likely.

France has the largest Jewish community (http://www.newsweek.com/what-it-means-be-jewish-and-french-299814) remaining in Europe, but Norman Lebrecht, a French Jew whose family has been in France at least since 1727 (when the first records exist), decided last week (http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/01/13/norman-lebrecht-france-for-jews-cest-termine/) that he is leaving. Nor is he alone.

As Jeff Jacoby observes (http://jewishworldreview.com/jeff/jacoby011515.php3): "In 2012, there were just over 1,900 immigrants to Israel from France. The following year nearly 3,400 French Jews emigrated; in 2014 approximately 7,000 left. For the first time ever, France heads the list of countries of origin (http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4609941,00.html) for immigrants to Israel, and the ministry of immigration absorption expects another 10,000 French Jews to arrive in 2015. That would mean more than 22,000 Jews fleeing France for Israel in the space of just four years, nearly 4.5% of the country's Jewish population." Many others are leaving for Britain, America and Canada.

Now European nations are facing population deficits (http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/01/14/france-demographics-idUSL6N0KO2FS20140114), and they've replaced those missing Jews with Muslim immigrants (http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/01/15/5-facts-about-the-muslim-population-in-europe/) who — unlike the Jews — are for the most part (http://www.wsj.com/articles/europe-immigration-and-islam-europes-crisis-of-faith-1421450060) far less educated, don't really consider themselves part of European society, and have no particularly strong desire to integrate into it, which bodes poorly. As Eugene Volokh — himself an immigrant (https://law.ucla.edu/faculty/faculty-profiles/eugene-volokh/) to the United States — observes, in a democracy, when you let in immigrants, you are letting in your future rulers (http://volokh.com/2013/02/14/the-pilgrims-as-illegal-aliens/).

One can hope that all of this will end well regardless, and I certainly do hope so. But others fear that Europe is partying like it's 1939 (http://pjmedia.com/eddriscoll/2015/01/15/europes-partying-like-its-1939/), something made worse by continuing economic problems (http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2015-01-16/it-might-be-time-to-panic-about-greece), and the history of European institutions in dealing with such stress over the past century hasn't been exactly brilliant. My sad prediction: Europe is facing a spell of "bad luck." May it prove mercifully short, and, perhaps, educational.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-20-2015, 10:51 AM
Two articles I came across today:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2915480/Without-Jews-Britain-not-Britain-warns-Theresa-fears-exodus-wake-anti-Semitic-attacks.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2015/01/19/paris-jews-french-population-muslim-immigration-europe-column/21959089/

Every Jew would be smart to leave Britain and France. Obvious that the muzzies are going to take over those nations because the citizens are too cowardly to rebel against the corrupted, infiltrated governments that brought in the muzzies, promote the muzzies over all others!
For decades this infection has been increasing now its reached the stage to start making massive gains. In the not too distant future it will be "open game" on the remaining Jews in both nations IMHO!

And Obama wants to engineer that same thing here!!
Whats that sweetest sound he ever heard????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????--Tyr

Drummond
01-20-2015, 01:13 PM
Every Jew would be smart to leave Britain and France. Obvious that the muzzies are going to take over those nations because the citizens are too cowardly to rebel against the corrupted, infiltrated governments that brought in the muzzies, promote the muzzies over all others!
For decades this infection has been increasing now its reached the stage to start making massive gains. In the not too distant future it will be "open game" on the remaining Jews in both nations IMHO!

And Obama wants to engineer that same thing here!!
Whats that sweetest sound he ever heard????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????--Tyr

If I were Jewish, I don't think I'd feel safe here in the UK. Indeed, certain Muslim-saturated localities should effectively be regarded as 'no-go zones', it seems to me .. UNLESS, somehow, the authorities could convince me, as a Jew, that I'd be safe walking through them.

On the one hand, politicians make a persistent point about how Britain 'is a tolerant multicultural Society'. Sounds good, doesn't it ? In practice .. Muslims dominate the areas where they set up their 'colonies', and the likes of Anjem Choudary walks the streets doing his rabble-rousing, invariably accompanied by crowds of supporters. Attempted 'Sharia-controlled zones' (never successfully established as yet, though not for the want of trying !!!) don't exactly help, likewise our exceptionally tough gun laws.

It's difficult to know what to make of senior politicians publicly showing solidarity for Jews (see link below), when, just days later, they make a great point of insisting (and in a way that managed to offend Muslims !!!!) that Islam is part of British culture !!

See this article, from Mail commentator Richard Littlejohn --

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/debate/article-2917571/It-open-season-Jews-9-11-Theresa-RICHARD-LITTLEJOHN-says-Home-Secretary-s-solidarity-seen-gesture-unless-followed-firm-action.html

Home Secretary Theresa May is photographed holding up a placard which reads ‘Je suis Juif’ (I am Jewish) at a memorial for the victims of the Paris massacre.

Among those murdered in France were four people singled out for slaughter in a kosher supermarket, for no reason other than the fact that they were Jewish.

This atrocity follows a pattern of attacks on Jewish targets in mainland Europe. We shouldn’t kid ourselves it couldn’t happen here.

Patrols have been stepped up at Jewish schools, synagogues and businesses in Britain.

The former Chief Rabbi Lord Jonathan Sacks said: ‘After what happened in Paris, you are beginning to get British Jews asking: “Will I be safe going to synagogue or going to a Jewish shop? Will my children be safe in a Jewish school?”

I concluded: it was open season on the Jews. I went on patrol with police and the Jewish community’s own security teams and was astonished to find the precautions being taken to protect potential targets.

Jewish cemeteries had been repeatedly vandalised and gravestones daubed with swastikas. An old people’s home in Manchester was protected with barbed wire. A nearby school had high fences, surveillance cameras and full-time guards.

It was the same story in London. I even discovered prominent Jewish organisations were being fitted with bomb-proof windows. Was this all really necessary, or pure paranoia? The late Mike Todd, then Chief Constable of Manchester, assured me it was not an over-reaction. ‘We know there are people carrying out hostile surveillance on Jewish targets.’

John Mann’s inquiry reported: ‘It is clear that violence, desecration and intimidation directed towards Jews is on the rise. Jews have become more anxious and more vulnerable to attack than at any time for a generation or longer.’

And that was eight years ago. Since then the threat level has increased. As we have seen in Europe, Islamist maniacs have got the Jews in their sights.

Yet Theresa May gives the impression of only just having woken up to the problem. I am sure her ‘Je suis Juif’ solidarity is appreciated, but it will soon be seen as an empty gesture, as meaningless as Call Me Dave’s absurd hokey-cokey in Paris, unless it is followed up with firm action.

To her credit Theresa did manage to kick out Abu Qatada, and Captain Hook was finally extradited and is beginning a life sentence in an America jail. But other preachers of hate are allowed to flourish, radicalising a new generation of terrorist recruits, who are exposed to vile anti-Jewish propaganda in mosques and online.

Directly beneath the photo of Theresa in yesterday’s Mail was a story about a convicted Al Qaeda terrorist with links to the Paris shootings, who we can’t deport because of the Human Rights Act — despite the Home Office branding him ‘a danger to the community’.

I repeat what I wrote in the aftermath of the Paris massacre. ‘Britain is a soft touch. It’s all very well MI5 wanting more powers to intercept communications, but isn’t it about time the authorities used existing laws to smash the terrorists?

‘We’ve got conspiracy laws, as well as legislation against “hate crimes” and incitement. The Government should repeal the appalling Human Rights Act; instruct the police and security services to close down Islamist websites; stop our prisons being used as Al Qaeda recruiting offices; shut down mosques and religious schools which foment terrorism; prosecute and deport foreign hate preachers; and lock up those fanatics with British passports.’

Unless Theresa May is willing to do each and every one of those to protect not just our fellow citizens in Britain’s Jewish community but all of us, then waving a placard reading ‘Je suis Juif’ is just another worthless piece of political posturing.

---- Explanations / 'translations' ----

'Call Me Dave' is Littlejohn's name for David Cameron, a semi-derisory comment made against Cameron's efforts to be seen to be 'one of the people'.

'Captain Hook' refers to Abu Hamza, the Finsbury Park mosque Imam who regularly preached anti-Western rhetoric and never once received any official complaint from any Muslim because of it. He was - after several YEARS - extradited to the US, found guilty of terrorist offences, and is serving a life sentence. Under the terms of extradition, it's British law never to grant extradition if the outcome could lead to a death sentence.

The 'Human Rights Act' refers to a law we're mandated to observe because we're part of the EU. There's much controversy about intentions to de-legislate it ... and replace it with a tougher, less deferential British equivalent. Thanks to the current law, if a suspected terrorist appeals through our own legal system ... this process often taking years ... and fails, he's still got recourse to go to the European Court of Human Rights. That court could repeal UK judgments if it thinks it has reason to.

[... Yes, this is the travesty that comes from recognising terrorists as supposedly 'human'. The result is a LACK of justice, all too often.]

tailfins
01-20-2015, 08:20 PM
I don't understand the pro-Palestinian thought process.

Palestinian is just a fake term authored by the Soviets and sympathizers.

Just read some of these, then you will understand:

http://www.amazon.com/Vladimir-Ilyich-Lenin/e/B001H9RXSA