PDA

View Full Version : `Park employees find Winchester 1873 rifle propped up against a tree................`

LongTermGuy
01-14-2015, 07:52 PM
GREAT BASIN NATIONAL PARK — Great Basin National Park employees are trying to solve the mystery of an 132-year-old Winchester rifle found in the park.
The rifle was found and recovered by park archaeologists in November, according to the Great Basin National Park Facebook page. (https://www.facebook.com/GreatBasinNPS) The firearm was found leaning against a tree in a remote rocky outcrop. Park officials believe the rifle hadn’t been located sooner because the weathered, cracked wood stock and brown rusted barrel blended into the juniper tree.
The rifle was identified as a model 1873 Winchester repeating rifle because of the distinct engraving on the mechanism of “Model 1873,” according to the national park. The serial number on the firearm corresponds with manufacture and shipping records dating to 1882, held at the Center for the West Cody Firearms Museum in Cody, Wyoming. However, the records don’t indicate who purchased the rifle or where it was shipped to, the national park said.......

More: Video and text...

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=33093460&nid=1070&fm=home_page&s_cid=toppick1

LongTermGuy
01-14-2015, 07:55 PM
`Interesting....One does not simply "forget" his longarm..........Wonder what happened to the poor bastage?`

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-14-2015, 09:42 PM
`Interesting....One does not simply "forget" his longarm..........Wonder what happened to the poor bastage?`

Those scalping Injuns got him or a damn bear ate him.
A friend of mine found a Browning 30'06 with nice scope leaning against a tree in his favorite hunting location down on Big Island.
Obvious that some drunken fool had lost it as it looked to have been there a couple years.
Still he was able to clean it up nice and keep it to use deer hunting. The lucky bastage!!

That's the only case I ever heard of somebody finding a gun that was left in the woods.-Tyr

NightTrain
01-14-2015, 09:43 PM
That's really a cool find.

Those babies were very expensive back in the day, and of course your life depended on having that handy. Leaving that behind seems unfathomable, but I don't doubt it happened sometimes.

Doesn't say if it was loaded or empty. If it were empty and they were in a firefight with Indians, I can see how someone making a run for it would leave it behind.

Or it could be as mundane as leaning it against that tree when they were making camp for the night, and forgetting it the next morning. But I'd think you'd backtrack to get your rifle back when it was discovered missing.

Great story, LTG!

Jeff
01-17-2015, 08:45 AM
Those scalping Injuns got him or a damn bear ate him.
A friend of mine found a Browning 30'06 with nice scope leaning against a tree in his favorite hunting location down on Big Island.
Obvious that some drunken fool had lost it as it looked to have been there a couple years.
Still he was able to clean it up nice and keep it to use deer hunting. The lucky bastage!!

That's the only case I ever heard of somebody finding a gun that was left in the woods.-Tyr

Good deal your buddy found my gun :laugh: I will send my address he can send it :laugh:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-17-2015, 10:09 AM
Good deal your buddy found my gun :laugh: I will send my address he can send it :laugh:

Ok, that was back in 1972. How old were you back in 1972 and why did your parents let you get drunk, lost in the woods and leave yo' gun behind? :laugh::laugh:

And don't try to fudge your age cause Jim will give me the true skinny on that info -- :laugh:--Tyr

Jeff
01-17-2015, 11:30 AM

Ok, that was back in 1972. How old were you back in 1972 and why did your parents let you get drunk, lost in the woods and leave yo' gun behind? :laugh::laugh:

And don't try to fudge your age cause Jim will give me the true skinny on that info -- :laugh:--Tyr

In 72 I was 10 and heck the only reason I was doing the hunting was because dad was passed out :laugh:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-18-2015, 01:17 AM
In 72 I was 10 and heck the only reason I was doing the hunting was because dad was passed out :laugh:

Well any good boy would have secured the gun before dragging Dad out of da woods.. :laugh:

Or at least marked the trail back to be able to retrieve da gun!

I am giving ya an F for this grade and don't let it happen again!--:laugh::laugh::laugh:-Tyr