PDA

View Full Version : NFL Conference Championships

darin
01-15-2015, 09:13 AM
What are your thoughts, folks?

AFC: I dislike picking Patriots, but I think this game is so close. The quarterbacks are essentially the same in terms of "Real Quarterback Rating" - which takes rushing attempts, rushing yards, rushing TDs, fumbles and sacks to measure QB’s overall performance with the ball, not just as a passer when he actually releases the ball (which is all that passer rating currently measures). Looking at RQR -

Brady
TD: 34
INT: 12
Rating:90.59

Luck:
TD: 45
INT: 23
Rating: 90.16

The teams with higher Real QB Rating win probably 80% of the time.

Conversely, New Englad's defense holds opposing QBs to 76.55 rating, while Colt's D allows average 80.03 rating by opposing QBs.

My pick: Patriots 34 Colts 21

NFC Game.

Rodgers:
TD:40
INT: 9
Rating: 102.11

Wilson:
TD: 26
INT: 7
Rating: 94.13

Green Bay's defense holds opposing QBs to 75.38 rating, while Seattle's D 73.03.

Man - at the risk of being a homer - on paper this looks like it could be a GreenBay victory...but I have to consider Rodgers possible limited mobility...and playing at Seattle.

Seattle 24 Green Bay 17

LongTermGuy
01-15-2015, 09:07 PM
What are your thoughts, folks?

AFC: I dislike picking Patriots, but I think this game is so close. The quarterbacks are essentially the same in terms of "Real Quarterback Rating" - which takes rushing attempts, rushing yards, rushing TDs, fumbles and sacks to measure QB’s overall performance with the ball, not just as a passer when he actually releases the ball (which is all that passer rating currently measures). Looking at RQR -

Brady
TD: 34
INT: 12
Rating:90.59

Luck:
TD: 45
INT: 23
Rating: 90.16

The teams with higher Real QB Rating win probably 80% of the time.

Conversely, New Englad's defense holds opposing QBs to 76.55 rating, while Colt's D allows average 80.03 rating by opposing QBs.

My pick: Patriots 34 Colts 21

NFC Game.

Rodgers:
TD:40
INT: 9
Rating: 102.11

Wilson:
TD: 26
INT: 7
Rating: 94.13

Green Bay's defense holds opposing QBs to 75.38 rating, while Seattle's D 73.03.

Man - at the risk of being a homer - on paper this looks like it could be a GreenBay victory...but I have to consider Rodgers possible limited mobility...and playing at Seattle.

Seattle 24 Green Bay 17

*Green Bay...if Rogers holds up....27-17

I dislike the SeaHawks....

darin
01-16-2015, 06:52 AM
do you dislike the seahawks because you dislike them, or do you dislike their chances; being the better, more-complete team?

jimnyc
01-16-2015, 07:13 AM
do you dislike the seahawks because you dislike them, or do you dislike their chances; being the better, more-complete team?

I dislike them because they are good. Same reason I dislike Wilson, and the Beast. (even if Roethlisberger is better, and Bell looks like he may be better) :)

darin
01-16-2015, 07:22 AM
HA :)

Now - no way you just wrote Ben is a better qb than Wilson...okay - scratch that...I can see you saying that. But the RB talk? Wha????

There's no Bell-quake...there's no 'All-about-dat-action-boss' from Bell. There's no "I know I'm gone get got, but Ima Get mine more dan I get got, doe" from Bell.

Here's something I'm hearing on the radio....

When Russell Wilson is down by 9-16 points, his passer rating is 131 3TD, no picks.
When Aaron Rodgers is down by 1-8 points, 87 rated passer. 9-16 points? 84-rated passer. And that's against the league - if Rodgers becomes an 87 or 84 rated passer against the rest of the league, against Seattle? That'd be 64 rated?

jimnyc
01-16-2015, 08:11 AM
HA :)

Now - no way you just wrote Ben is a better qb than Wilson...okay - scratch that...I can see you saying that. But the RB talk? Wha????

There's no Bell-quake...there's no 'All-about-dat-action-boss' from Bell. There's no "I know I'm gone get got, but Ima Get mine more dan I get got, doe" from Bell.

Here's something I'm hearing on the radio....

When Russell Wilson is down by 9-16 points, his passer rating is 131 3TD, no picks.
When Aaron Rodgers is down by 1-8 points, 87 rated passer. 9-16 points? 84-rated passer. And that's against the league - if Rodgers becomes an 87 or 84 rated passer against the rest of the league, against Seattle? That'd be 64 rated?

Bell's running AND all purpose yardage made him the best back in the NFL this year outside of Demarco Murray, and his stats were mainly rushing only. Many of the pundits and NFL professionals state he is currently the best back in the NFL. FIRST back in NFL history to not fumble through the entire season. First since Walter Payton to get 3 straight 200 all purpose games. Franchise rookie record for rushing and all purpose. Now give him another year or too to learn more. He had a year this year that most backs would die for! Now, I'll admit, he needs to be consistent to make his mark. If he can do similarly for 4-5 more years? And you KNOW I love Lynch, and he's an awesome back - but he doesn't add the same all purpose as Bell, with the receiving and such. I think Bell is better if he continues as he did this year. I think if he's ONLY running - then he would be hard pressed to build a career better than the Beast. We'll know in a few more years!! Both great backs though.

Yeah, Wilson is good if they let him pass away, IMO. When they're down, he gets to be pass happy, and he's good! Love the spin mode in the pocket... I hope Rodgers' calf explodes this weekend - I haven't forgotten 2010 yet!! LOL

darin
01-16-2015, 08:24 AM
Bell's running AND all purpose yardage made him the best back in the NFL this year outside of Demarco Murray, and his stats were mainly rushing only.

Stats don't tell the story of 'best' - only most-used. :)

Many of the pundits and NFL professionals state he is currently the best back in the NFL. FIRST back in NFL history to not fumble through the entire season. First since Walter Payton to get 3 straight 200 all purpose games. Franchise rookie record for rushing and all purpose. Now give him another year or too to learn more. He had a year this year that most backs would die for! Now, I'll admit, he needs to be consistent to make his mark. If he can do similarly for 4-5 more years? And you KNOW I love Lynch, and he's an awesome back - but he doesn't add the same all purpose as Bell, with the receiving and such. I think Bell is better if he continues as he did this year. I think if he's ONLY running - then he would be hard pressed to build a career better than the Beast. We'll know in a few more years!! Both great backs though.

Are you saying you'd NOT trade him straight up for Marshawn Lynch - age not a factor? Maybe you're viewing this as a 'this season' thing - I'm speaking in terms of looking at the whole thing/career/meaningfulness :)

Yeah, Wilson is good if they let him pass away, IMO. When they're down, he gets to be pass happy, and he's good! Love the spin mode in the pocket... I hope Rodgers' calf explodes this weekend - I haven't forgotten 2010 yet!! LOL

When Seattle is down points, Russell gets Everything Happy - run and pass. He shoulders the team and is a much-much better QB than just about ANYONE in the league when playing from behind.

And yes, Agree; hope his calf gets him out of the way three plays into it. :)

jimnyc
01-16-2015, 08:45 AM
Stats don't tell the story of 'best' - only most-used. :)

Not always. But a QB with nearly 5,000 yards, a RB with 2000 all purpose yards and a WR with 129 catches and nearly 1700 yards. Yep, I know they're out already, and not the best in the NFL, but I do believe those stats tell a bit of a story. One of the best trios in NFL history - but a complete team is necessary - defense must be great too, and our D just wasn't up to snuff to keep up with the O this year. :(

Are you saying you'd NOT trade him straight up for Marshawn Lynch - age not a factor? Maybe you're viewing this as a 'this season' thing - I'm speaking in terms of looking at the whole thing/career/meaningfulness :)

Sure, at one point I would have taken Lynch over anyone! But I'm just being realistic with today's outlook. I think Bell is a better "all pupose" back, but he'll need to be MUCH more consistent to have that great career that Lynch has had. The "life expectancy" of a RB in the NFL is like 3 years. How long has Lynch been around? Like 10-11 years or something like that? Bell may never make it that long. But yes, based on TODAY, no way in hell would I trade him.

When Seattle is down points, Russell gets Everything Happy - run and pass. He shoulders the team and is a much-much better QB than just about ANYONE in the league when playing from behind.

IMO, best QB's, even if I hate some: Wilson, Brady, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Luck - my top 5 right now anyway. Too bad for me, only one of them is out of the playoffs already! LOL

And yes, Agree; hope his calf gets him out of the way three plays into it. :)

You're much too nice. I hope it ruptures and hurts for like 9 months.

darin
01-16-2015, 01:10 PM
Against QBs who have won at least one Super Bowl, Russell Wilson is 9-0 in the regular season and playoffs.

Wilson is 2-0 vs Eli Manning; 2-0 vs Drew Brees; 2-0 vs Peyton Manning; 2-0 vs Aaron Rodgers; and 1-0 vs Tom Brady. In those 9 games, Wilson has thrown 15 TD, 4 INT, and has a passer rating of 104.7

LongTermGuy
01-16-2015, 02:58 PM

Both...

darin
01-20-2015, 11:47 AM
Hole. Eee. Shit what a game.

http://www.mynorthwest.com/emedia/seattle/13/1384/138476.jpg

updated!

Wilson is 2-0 vs Eli Manning; 2-0 vs Drew Brees; 2-0 vs Peyton Manning; 3-0 vs Aaron Rodgers; and 1-0 vs Tom Brady.

jimnyc
01-20-2015, 12:29 PM
Hole. Eee. Shit what a game.

updated!

Wilson is 2-0 vs Eli Manning; 2-0 vs Drew Brees; 2-0 vs Peyton Manning; 3-0 vs Aaron Rodgers; and 1-0 vs Tom Brady.

Wilson did all he could to toss the game away, just a horrible game till the end. They should have lost this game - but they didn't. I'm not saying they should have lost because they suck, but because it's just the way it should have been with the score, and the 2 great teams on the field.

But GB tried to run to kill the clock. Seattle held tough. They went downfield and got a score. Then they got an onside (that the GB guy should have had). Once again went down and scored. Then in OT, Wilson tossed one hell of a pass for the game winning TD, a toss that literally dropped in the basket.

Clutch time. That's when Seattle and Wilson woke up. Weird game, lots of mistakes from both sides, but Seattle never gave up when it looked like GB thought they had it in the bag. They should have known better with Wilson at QB.

Congrats on the win! Now PLEASE have your team beat the Patriots!! I don't think I can stand to watch Brady get another ring. :(

CSM
01-20-2015, 12:58 PM
Wilson did all he could to toss the game away, just a horrible game till the end. They should have lost this game - but they didn't. I'm not saying they should have lost because they suck, but because it's just the way it should have been with the score, and the 2 great teams on the field.

But GB tried to run to kill the clock. Seattle held tough. They went downfield and got a score. Then they got an onside (that the GB guy should have had). Once again went down and scored. Then in OT, Wilson tossed one hell of a pass for the game winning TD, a toss that literally dropped in the basket.

Clutch time. That's when Seattle and Wilson woke up. Weird game, lots of mistakes from both sides, but Seattle never gave up when it looked like GB thought they had it in the bag. They should have known better with Wilson at QB.

Congrats on the win! Now PLEASE have your team beat the Patriots!! I don't think I can stand to watch Brady get another ring. :(

LOL...reminds me of when I was much younger and the Cowboys dominated ... hated that team!

Perianne
01-20-2015, 02:36 PM

But he is sooo cute!

Abbey Marie
01-20-2015, 03:55 PM
Congrats on the win! Now PLEASE have your team beat the Patriots!!
I don't think I can stand to watch Brady get another ring. :(

http://www.novahq.net/forum/images/smilies/whssign.gif http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-signs011.gif http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-signs064.gif http://www.minimatemultiverse.com//public/style_emoticons/default/ditto.gif

LongTermGuy
01-20-2015, 09:09 PM
Go Patriots!...enough with the Seahawks...:coffee:

darin
01-22-2015, 07:01 AM
Indeed - crazy how Seattle collapsed at the beginning and handed the game to GreenBay before finally - through sheer force of will and lady luck, got their stuff together. GreenBay played HORRIBLE all game; yet Seattle played worse for the first bit.