PDA

View Full Version : Officer (finally) Convicted Of War Crimes

Psychoblues
06-26-2007, 03:15 AM
Who is to blame here?

WASHINGTON - A former U.S. Army Reserve officer was sentenced to nearly two years in prison Monday for helping steer millions of dollars in Iraq-reconstruction contracts in exchange for jewelry, computers, cigars and sexual favors.

Lt. Col. Bruce D. Hopfengardner, 46, of Fredericksburg, Va., pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit money laundering and wire fraud last year. He served as a special adviser to the U.S.-led occupation forces, recommending funding for projects on law enforcement facilities in Iraq.

Hopfengardner was sentenced to 21 months in prison, fined $144,500 and ordered to serve three years of probation.

He admitted conspiring with Philip H. Bloom, a U.S. citizen with businesses in Romania, and Robert J. Stein Jr., a former Defense Department contract official, to create a corrupt bidding process that included the theft of $2 million in reconstruction money.

Hopfengardner's role was to recommend that the Coalition Provisional Authority fund projects to demolish the Ba'ath Party headquarters, rebuild a police academy and construct various other facilities.

Bloom, who controlled companies in Iraq and Romania, bid on projects using dummy corporations and Stein ensured that one of the firms was awarded the contract, according to court documents.

Bloom received more than $8.6 million in rigged contracts, prosecutors said. In exchange, the businessman showered Hopfengardner and Stein with cash, cars, premium airline seats, jewelry, alcohol and even sexual favors from women at his Baghdad villa.

Much More: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070625/ap_on_go_ot/iraq_contract_bribes

The crooks from Wall Street or the crooks from Armed Forces Basic Training?

5stringJeff
06-26-2007, 07:31 AM
I'm glad this guy got what was coming to him, but I wouldn't call what he did "war crimes."

theHawk
06-26-2007, 07:56 AM
Who is to blame here?

I'd say the Lt.Col is to blame, as well as the two businessmen named. What does the Wall Street have to do with it? And what crooks from 'Armed Forces Basic Training'(whatever the hell that term means)?

glockmail
06-26-2007, 07:58 AM
I'm glad this guy got what was coming to him, but I wouldn't call what he did "war crimes." To libs, being a soldier is a war crime.

darin
06-26-2007, 08:41 AM
Seems like SOMEBODY should have studied the UN - the UN does this stuff MUCH better.

But a 'war crime'? c'mon now.

Abbey Marie
06-26-2007, 08:56 AM
To libs, being a soldier is a war crime.

I know it's early, but "Post of the Day" honors from me, for this one. :clap:

Psychoblues
07-03-2007, 11:05 PM
Yes, the UN does a much better job, dmp.

Seems like SOMEBODY should have studied the UN - the UN does this stuff MUCH better.

But a 'war crime'? c'mon now.

How much have you studied the subject?

nevadamedic
07-03-2007, 11:22 PM
Who is to blame here?

WASHINGTON - A former U.S. Army Reserve officer was sentenced to nearly two years in prison Monday for helping steer millions of dollars in Iraq-reconstruction contracts in exchange for jewelry, computers, cigars and sexual favors.

Lt. Col. Bruce D. Hopfengardner, 46, of Fredericksburg, Va., pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit money laundering and wire fraud last year. He served as a special adviser to the U.S.-led occupation forces, recommending funding for projects on law enforcement facilities in Iraq.

Hopfengardner was sentenced to 21 months in prison, fined $144,500 and ordered to serve three years of probation.

He admitted conspiring with Philip H. Bloom, a U.S. citizen with businesses in Romania, and Robert J. Stein Jr., a former Defense Department contract official, to create a corrupt bidding process that included the theft of $2 million in reconstruction money.

Hopfengardner's role was to recommend that the Coalition Provisional Authority fund projects to demolish the Ba'ath Party headquarters, rebuild a police academy and construct various other facilities.

Bloom, who controlled companies in Iraq and Romania, bid on projects using dummy corporations and Stein ensured that one of the firms was awarded the contract, according to court documents.

Bloom received more than $8.6 million in rigged contracts, prosecutors said. In exchange, the businessman showered Hopfengardner and Stein with cash, cars, premium airline seats, jewelry, alcohol and even sexual favors from women at his Baghdad villa.

Much More: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070625/ap_on_go_ot/iraq_contract_bribes

Smell's like Democrat politics to me. :laugh2:

Psychoblues
07-03-2007, 11:57 PM
Smells like a search for truth to me!!!!!!!

Smell's like Democrat politics to me. :laugh2:

How's your search going?