PDA

View Full Version : Kitty litter

jimnyc
01-21-2015, 08:58 AM
I'm using new litter, forget the name, but it's basically shredded pine with filler. I cleaned the box well this morning and vacuumed around it. I drink a coffee and then go downstairs for a refill and it looks like it was never cleaned! The pine is all over the place as the little bastard thinks it's cool to play with litter and kick it like a bull and get it all over the floor.

Also, what do you other cat owners use? I grew tired of the clay based products, like "Fresh Scent" and other cheap ones, as when I filled the box a cloud built up and I couldn't breath anywhere in the vicinity, and the vet told me that this cloud was not good to breathe in. I also tried some 'walnut' based crap, like Naturally Fresh or something like that? Then it was onto "The world's best cat litter". I just can't seem to find a great one, that covers the smell good, and is good for sifting, no clouding or clay... anyone?

sundaydriver
01-21-2015, 09:13 AM
When the dogs go out, send the cat along. I only have a litter box for when it's raining too hard or the snows too deep so Tidy Cat is fine for me.

tailfins
01-21-2015, 09:17 AM
I filled the box a cloud built up and I couldn't breath anywhere in the vicinity, and the vet told me that this cloud was not good to breathe in.

So what? It will give you a good buzz. :badsnort:

Bilgerat
01-21-2015, 11:48 AM
We just use a good clumping litter, and I clean the box daily

I have used those "pearls" before. They do work great for odor control, but stepping on the escaped piss pellets barefoot is like finding a lego

jimnyc
01-21-2015, 12:30 PM
When the dogs go out, send the cat along. I only have a litter box for when it's raining too hard or the snows too deep so Tidy Cat is fine for me.

My cat is an indoor cat only, even if he does try to escape on occasion!

So what? It will give you a good buzz. :badsnort:

No buzz, just coughing, and a horrid scent in my nose that wouldn't leave. And after you fill the box, that cloud will slowly go the next room too!

We just use a good clumping litter, and I clean the box daily

I have used those "pearls" before. They do work great for odor control, but stepping on the escaped piss pellets barefoot is like finding a lego

I clean ours like 2-3x per day, our kitty is a disgusting and stinky little creature! When I used the "Naturally Fresh" one, he would always have the color of the stuff on his paws, his belly and on top of his head!

Jeff
01-21-2015, 01:09 PM
Tidy cat works great for me and these is no dust, at least none that I see, they are the wife's cats so she changes the box.

Abbey Marie
01-21-2015, 02:58 PM
Tidy Cat.

Why not fill the box outside, then bring it in?

gabosaurus
01-21-2015, 04:20 PM
Tidy Cat.

If you buy cheap cat litter, you get cheap cat litter.
We have always used Tidy Cat. The one with Glade freshener in it. My daughter changes the cat box every day and she has more allergies than I do. TC has small pellets instead of dust.

Bilgerat
01-21-2015, 07:05 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10934057_969045276494786_2081459007421760420_n.jpg ?oh=ce9b79ae830aaded975f3a674c2b939b&oe=556E68F4&__gda__=1428710440_00253b144fb128e7bba1ac46de9bba0 9

fj1200
01-23-2015, 10:07 AM
Also, what do you other cat owners use?

Tidy Cat. The light blue lid but that probably makes zero difference. I just need to scoop more often than I do. :(

jimnyc
01-23-2015, 12:50 PM
Tidy cat works great for me and these is no dust, at least none that I see, they are the wife's cats so she changes the box.

Tidy Cat.

Why not fill the box outside, then bring it in?

If you buy cheap cat litter, you get cheap cat litter.
We have always used Tidy Cat. The one with Glade freshener in it. My daughter changes the cat box every day and she has more allergies than I do. TC has small pellets instead of dust.

Tidy Cat. The light blue lid but that probably makes zero difference. I just need to scoop more often than I do. :(

Seems the consensus is Tidy Cat. I had already went yesterday and bought a container of it. It says to put 3-4" in the box, which is what I always did anyway. But after emptying this container to that point, there's only like 1/4 of it left. Hopefully it will last. The cat has already tested it like 50x!! I did notice when cleaning it that while it clumps, it doesn't "steal" a lot of litter. The stuff I've been using would clump up so much that you couldn't tell if you were picking up #1 or 2!! Well, my cat stinks like a sewer when he goes...

I noticed they sell large bags as well. Will have to look them over and see which is cheaper in the long run. But so far, no clouding, cat likes it, easy to clean.

gabosaurus
01-23-2015, 08:44 PM
Use the Tidy Cat with Glade and it removes a lot of odor. We only keep the litter box about half full. Otherwise, the cat will fling the cat litter in all direction. Because he can. :cool:

WiccanLiberal
03-29-2015, 03:26 PM
I minimize the dust and the smell by using the Tidy Cat, scooping every day and using covered litter boxes. I have four of the little pissers and if I don't want the house to smell like a lavatory, I have to keep up with them.

jimnyc
03-29-2015, 06:46 PM
I minimize the dust and the smell by using the Tidy Cat, scooping every day and using covered litter boxes. I have four of the little pissers and if I don't want the house to smell like a lavatory, I have to keep up with them.

I understand what you go through. We once had 5 cats I think it was, and seems the one little 'ho' of a cat we had was spitting out babies. We had 3 litter boxes and they still needed a ton of maintenance. Now I have just one and it sucks maintaining it! LOL But that's because I'm a lazy SOB and its much harder to get down on my knees to scoop that damn litter. And EVERY time I do it now the little bastard comes running out of nowhere to use it while I clean it. I have to lock him in the bathroom for a minute while I do it.

And then you find him playing with everything in there and knocking it on the ground, as if to get revenge!

WiccanLiberal
03-29-2015, 07:21 PM
I understand what you go through. We once had 5 cats I think it was, and seems the one little 'ho' of a cat we had was spitting out babies. We had 3 litter boxes and they still needed a ton of maintenance. Now I have just one and it sucks maintaining it! LOL But that's because I'm a lazy SOB and its much harder to get down on my knees to scoop that damn litter. And EVERY time I do it now the little bastard comes running out of nowhere to use it while I clean it. I have to lock him in the bathroom for a minute while I do it.

And then you find him playing with everything in there and knocking it on the ground, as if to get revenge!
That's why I have the covered ones. Keeps the mess to a minimum. I usually buy the big square buckets of litter. My youngest has a bad habit of trying to use the bucket if I leave it open while I am scooping, never mind getting into the box right after.