PDA

View Full Version : This guy has no fear of Wild Big Cats

-Cp
06-26-2007, 11:53 AM
Animal behaviourist Kevin Richardson has such an intimate bond with big cats that he can spend the night curled up with them without the slightest fear of attack.

Richardson, 32, who is based in a wildlife conservation area near Johannesburg in South Africa, works his unusual magic on other species too. Cheetahs, leopards and even unpredictable hyenas hold no threats for him.

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/06_02/LionkissDM2606_468x406.jpg

So instinctively in tune is he with these beasts, whose teeth are sharp enough to bite through thick steel, that mother hyenas even allow him to hold their newborn cubs without pouncing to the rescue.

But lions are his favourite. He lavishes them with unconditional love, he says, treating each individual differently, speaking to them, caressing them and, above all, treating them with respect.

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/06_02/Lion5DM2606_486x465.jpg

A former student of human physiology who once worked with pre and post-operative human patients, Kevin turned to animals ten years ago when he came to the conclusion that he could trust a lion over one of his own kind every time - well, nearly every time.

A close encounter with an aggressive four-year-old male in the early days taught him a lesson he has not forgotten. The animal pinned him to the ground and started biting him until something about Kevin's passive attitude stopped him in his tracks.

The rest of the article and more amazing pics at:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=464353&in_page_id=1770

remie
06-26-2007, 12:43 PM
Why do I get the feeling we will be reading about this guy getting eaten at some point? Pretty amazing though.

nevadamedic
06-26-2007, 12:56 PM
He will end up like that Crocodile Hunter guy.

-Cp
06-26-2007, 01:03 PM
I can relate to his fascination with Lions tho...

This past January I was in Vegas and was at the MGM Hotel - in one of their glass displays they had a guy with a couple of lionesses in there.... myself and others gathered around while he'd toss raw meat up against the glass and I'd have a lioness no more than 8 inches from me rearing up to get the food stuck on the glass right in front of me... these TRUELY are beautiful creatures with amazing size that can't be appreciated until you see one that close-up...

nevadamedic
06-26-2007, 01:12 PM
I can relate to his fascination with Lions tho...

This past January I was in Vegas and was at the MGM Hotel - in one of their glass displays they had a guy with a couple of lionesses in there.... myself and others gathered around while he'd toss raw meat up against the glass and I'd have a lioness no more than 8 inches from me rearing up to get the food stuck on the glass right in front of me... these TRUELY are beautiful creatures with amazing size that can't be appreciated until you see one that close-up...

You can volunteer at your local zoo and they will let you work up to working with them. I've talked to the Reno Zoo about it myself.

Yurt
06-26-2007, 10:12 PM
He will end up like that Crocodile Hunter guy.

What?? Do you even know how he died? Sheesh, he was doing underwater camera filming in a non dangerous type environ, you have tact

manu1959
06-26-2007, 10:15 PM
he will end up like the alaska bear dude that got eaten on camera along with his wife

shattered
06-27-2007, 08:17 AM
You can volunteer at your local zoo and they will let you work up to working with them. I've talked to the Reno Zoo about it myself.

How is it you can do all this volunteer stuff, and yet you can't work?

Abbey Marie
06-27-2007, 12:08 PM
Great story! Thanks for posting it, -Cp.

Hagbard Celine
06-27-2007, 12:45 PM
He'll end up like the Croc Hunter, the Grizzly Man and every other idiot who tempts fate in this manner.