PDA

View Full Version : Need a snowblower - quickly!

jimnyc
01-25-2015, 07:59 AM
Or I need to move. Accuweather states we will get 1-2 feet of snow Tuesday night into Wednesday. Weather.com states it will be 15 inches on the low end up to 26 inches. No one will have a single snowblower in stock at this point anyway. Been telling the woman for years that we need one. The little hard plastic piece of crap we have is only good for extremely small amounts.

Dragon? Others in the Northeast? You guys are screwed if north of me!!

CSM
01-25-2015, 09:22 AM
LOL. I live in NH but I wont be here. I am going on travel for business Monday A.M. I will be in MO for the week.

jimnyc
01-25-2015, 09:30 AM
LOL. I live in NH but I wont be here. I am going on travel for business Monday A.M. I will be in MO for the week.

Any idea how much snow your area is getting if you were there? I wish I was traveling somewhere too. The in-laws live in Florida. I wonder what's worse, shoveling for a few hours, or staying with them? :)

NightTrain
01-25-2015, 09:51 AM
Don't you have a teenager and a shovel? I have 3 of each here.

sundaydriver
01-25-2015, 09:53 AM
Snow= teenage son + shovel +$10.

I bought my blower after the winter of 2012 after barely any snow leading to very low blower sales the prices were the lowest I've seen due to high leftover inventories. Several times I thought about getting one in mid winter with a forecast of big snow on the way but am too cheap to pay full "gouger" price.

My driveway is only 80' and I could handle that, but the 60' x 28' area in front of the garage was the clincher at age 60. 20# shovel full of snow, walk 13 steps, dump it, walk 13 steps back, and repeat. and repeat. :eek:

LongTermGuy
01-25-2015, 10:08 AM
HELPING DAD SHOVEL OUT THE CAR.............

https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.608051152037152292&pid=15.1&P=0

jimnyc
01-25-2015, 10:10 AM
Don't you have a teenager and a shovel? I have 3 of each here.

Yeah, and he does help when it's a larger snowfall, but seems like I'm expected to do it. And while I do feel a little guilty pushing it onto him - that's exactly what my Dad did! We weren't allowed to go anywhere until the snow was gone, or an ass kickin was coming. And the shovels we used were usually just a plain old square shovel you use for digging in dirt! LOL And we used to go around with friends to shovel for money, and I still had to carry around that little shovel.

I bought my blower after the winter of 2012 after barely any snow leading to very low blower sales the prices were the lowest I've seen due to high leftover inventories. Several times I thought about getting one in mid winter with a forecast of big snow on the way but am too cheap to pay full "gouger" price.

My driveway is only 80' and I could handle that, but the 60' x 28' area in front of the garage was the clincher at age 60. 20# shovel full of snow, walk 13 steps, dump it, walk 13 steps back, and repeat. and repeat. :eek:

Yeah, I've seen the price differences at quite a few places, between summer and winter. It's the wife, she won't let me get one, I think she wants to see me croak in the driveway.

I honestly don't know the length of our driveway, but 60 sounds about right. I have to shovel that, and a similar length for our sidewalk, then front and rear porches. Our driveway is on a pretty large grade, and it makes it much worse when shoveling, especially if it's at all slippery. Working your way from the garage out leaves you going uphill, which sucks. If you start from the street and then go downhill towards the garage, it still sucks as your legs have to work almost as hard to keep your balance and such.

I see this one for sale locally on Craigslist, wouldn't mind having this sucker!! Too bad it's $1900

http://i.imgur.com/djTcnW2.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/FqMXvSs.jpg

LongTermGuy
01-25-2015, 10:15 AM
I see this one for sale locally on Craigslist, wouldn't mind having this sucker!! Too bad it's $1900

http://i.imgur.com/djTcnW2.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/FqMXvSs.jpg

`Make an investment...or something close to it.....

jimnyc
01-25-2015, 10:17 AM
`Make an investment...or something close to it.....

That sucker is like 2,800 brand new. Hell, even has an electric starter. NT would probably do better in Alaska with something like that. Although, if I got a foot of snow, that sucker would probably clear my driveway and sidewalk in like 10 minutes!

LongTermGuy
01-25-2015, 10:22 AM
That sucker is like 2,800 brand new. Hell, even has an electric starter. NT would probably do better in Alaska with something like that. Although, if I got a foot of snow, that sucker would probably clear my driveway and sidewalk in like 10 minutes!

`Just think if you had it though....or something similar...I would enjoy using a machine like that....I couldn't wait to finish my coffee and try the sucker out....:coffee:

tailfins
01-25-2015, 10:34 AM
Or I need to move. Accuweather states we will get 1-2 feet of snow Tuesday night into Wednesday. Weather.com states it will be 15 inches on the low end up to 26 inches. No one will have a single snowblower in stock at this point anyway. Been telling the woman for years that we need one. The little hard plastic piece of crap we have is only good for extremely small amounts.

If you live in NY, weather is the least of your worries. You've already proven you're a masochist. If you ask nicely, Mr. Cuomo might offer you some Vasoline next time he shoves his left wing policies up your keister.

Snow@1962 = teenage son + shovel +$10.

Fixed that for ya'

NightTrain
01-25-2015, 10:51 AM
Yeah, and he does help when it's a larger snowfall, but seems like I'm expected to do it. And while I do feel a little guilty pushing it onto him - that's exactly what my Dad did! We weren't allowed to go anywhere until the snow was gone, or an ass kickin was coming. And the shovels we used were usually just a plain old square shovel you use for digging in dirt! LOL And we used to go around with friends to shovel for money, and I still had to carry around that little shovel.

I don't have any qualms with dispatching a teenager to shovel the driveway if it's a foot or less. Any more than that and I'll hire a guy with a snowplow to plow it. It teaches the kid to do an unpleasant job (and it's certainly an unpleasant task) as quickly as possible and to do a good job the first time.

When I was a kid out in the boonies, I hauled all the water from a creek a half mile away, in the summer I'd carry both 5-gallon cans by hand (the 3-wheeler cost money to run), and in the winter I'd use my dog hooked up to a sled. That meant 10 gallons at a time, usually twice a day and sometimes 3 times. But if it was a laundry day, my Mom would be running the ringer-washer and I'd haul well over 100 gallons that day. That was the way things were until I spent a summer digging a well with a shovel... it literally took me all summer, digging every single day, all day. After that I didn't have to carry water, but there were many other chores to do.

Like chopping wood! Yeah, we went through some wood. Log cabins aren't very efficient for insulation value compared to modern building materials. We probably went through 15 cords a winter, and yours truly cut it, hauled all of it, split it and stacked it. And hauled it into the house. In the summer, it was also my job to run the smokehouse for the hundreds of salmon we had smoking to feed the dogs with for the next winter. That meant getting up every morning at 2 or 3am to build the fire back up until I could stoke it with green wood for the smoke and go back to bed by 4 or 5.

That was in between running to town on a 3-wheeler or snowmachine for supplies (which I enjoyed), killing and processing a moose that we happened upon, schoolwork (correspondence), and the never-ending construction of a new addition to the house that needed 30' logs to be skinned with a drawknife after being hauled to the house or the myriad of other projects that cropped up. I was the eldest, so naturally I did the lion's share of the work.

My kids learned pretty quickly that whining about having to do something doesn't carry much weight - all they are expected to do is take turns doing the dishes and keeping their rooms clean, and get good grades in school. And shovel the driveway a few times a year. It's a pretty easy life for them, but they don't appreciate it.

Damn, I'm starting to feel like Grandpa Simpson... "Why, back in my day...!"

Kathianne
01-25-2015, 12:05 PM

Amazon with free shipping! You're probably not going to find one now in the East!

Kathianne
01-25-2015, 12:05 PM
Amazon with free shipping! You're probably not going to find one now in the East!

Whoops, too late. You'd have to pay for shipping to get it Tuesday.

Kathianne
01-25-2015, 12:10 PM
I don't have any qualms with dispatching a teenager to shovel the driveway if it's a foot or less. Any more than that and I'll hire a guy with a snowplow to plow it. It teaches the kid to do an unpleasant job (and it's certainly an unpleasant task) as quickly as possible and to do a good job the first time.

When I was a kid out in the boonies, I hauled all the water from a creek a half mile away, in the summer I'd carry both 5-gallon cans by hand (the 3-wheeler cost money to run), and in the winter I'd use my dog hooked up to a sled. That meant 10 gallons at a time, usually twice a day and sometimes 3 times. But if it was a laundry day, my Mom would be running the ringer-washer and I'd haul well over 100 gallons that day. That was the way things were until I spent a summer digging a well with a shovel... it literally took me all summer, digging every single day, all day. After that I didn't have to carry water, but there were many other chores to do.

Like chopping wood! Yeah, we went through some wood. Log cabins aren't very efficient for insulation value compared to modern building materials. We probably went through 15 cords a winter, and yours truly cut it, hauled all of it, split it and stacked it. And hauled it into the house. In the summer, it was also my job to run the smokehouse for the hundreds of salmon we had smoking to feed the dogs with for the next winter. That meant getting up every morning at 2 or 3am to build the fire back up until I could stoke it with green wood for the smoke and go back to bed by 4 or 5.

That was in between running to town on a 3-wheeler or snowmachine for supplies (which I enjoyed), killing and processing a moose that we happened upon, schoolwork (correspondence), and the never-ending construction of a new addition to the house that needed 30' logs to be skinned with a drawknife after being hauled to the house or the myriad of other projects that cropped up. I was the eldest, so naturally I did the lion's share of the work.

My kids learned pretty quickly that whining about having to do something doesn't carry much weight - all they are expected to do is take turns doing the dishes and keeping their rooms clean, and get good grades in school. And shovel the driveway a few times a year. It's a pretty easy life for them, but they don't appreciate it.

I have to agree. My kids were shoveling snow from 8 years on up. By their teens wasn't a big deal if we got a foot of snow.

Then again, they were used to daily chores and if a snowstorm was thrown in, then dinner always had dessert. ;)

sundaydriver
01-25-2015, 12:19 PM

Snow@1962 = teenage son + shovel +$10.

[QUOTE=tailfins;Fixed that for ya'[/QUOTE]

It's obvious you weren't around in 1962!

Snow1962=10yr.old son + shovel +$0 + don't forget to do the elderly neighbors for free. :beer:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-25-2015, 12:24 PM

Seems you and I both learned about hard work and chores at an early age. I was born and raised on a farm. On a farm back then you got up at 5 or 5:30 everyday except Sunday. On Sundays you got to sleep as late as 7:00 am!!! As a kid it went like this-- Get up, get self dressed, carry firewood in for both stoves. Pump by hand and then carry water in for daily use. Go gather up the eggs for breakfast. Go to school, come home that afternoon, cut firewood, pump by hand then carry more water, feed chickens and rabbits, feed the dogs, clean out chicken-house , help clean up in the house. Help wash dishes , gather eggs , walk 2 miles to country store, to buy and carry back heavy bags of groceries. Split more wood, feed chickens and rabbits, feed the dogs, help wash clothes and bring in laundry from the clothes line outside.
Never a moment rests unless one counts the time after supper to do school homework. Maybe get to watch an hour or so of TV that night.
Summer time, when out of school was worse as we all worked on the farm in the fields. I started at age 7, picking cotton in the (Fall), hard back breaking work. Started chopping cotton and soybeans at age 11 in the summers.
Kids these days have it made! If treated to even half of the work that we were the authorities would be called on us for child abuse!
Back in my time, it was all a part of survival.
Jobs people bitch and gripe about now we would have thought were pieces of cake and jumped to be able to do!
I taught my daughter to work but she never had to do anything other than part time job at age 17 or one or two simple household chores as a child.
My son, Justin only has to clean his room and help mom do very minor chores, nothing major at all.

"Why, back in my day, we went to school five miles away walking uphill going and coming back"!---:laugh: --Tyr

NightTrain
01-25-2015, 01:22 PM
Maybe get to watch an hour or so of TV that night.

Oh yeah, forgot about the TV. We didn't have a TV until about '86 or '87... then Dad got a 13" black & white from somewhere. But that meant we had to run the generator, so if we got an hour of TV at night, it was a pretty good deal.

"Why, back in my day, we went to school five miles away walking uphill going and coming back"!---:laugh: --Tyr

Huh. I thought my old man was the only one that did that. Except he was barefoot as he walked uphill both ways. Somehow his prior trials and tribulations were of small consolation to me as I worked my guts out. My kids probably think the same about me. :coffee:

darin
01-25-2015, 03:05 PM
So far SE MI has had a HORRID winter. Barely ANY snow. Just sucks. I may move to a place where winter feels more like winter :)

NightTrain
01-25-2015, 03:18 PM
So far SE MI has had a HORRID winter. Barely ANY snow. Just sucks. I may move to a place where winter feels more like winter :)

It's not been a decent winter up here. We just got our first real snow and it's only about 6". The rivers aren't even frozen enough to safely run them with snowmachines... a few days ago it was 47 degrees here at my house.

LongTermGuy
01-25-2015, 08:10 PM
`The world waits with baited breath to see ....will he be found in spring in a melted snowdrift 18' high?

Which will he run out of first...jokes and wits sharper than a snowblower blade....or toilet paper?

Or will the storm veer offshore out of sheer fright...?

Tune in again tomorrow.......................*The storm looks Bad....real bad..stay safe buddy...plan......`

BoogyMan
01-25-2015, 09:18 PM
I hope all you folks up in the NE are safe and able to stay warm and ride this coming storm out.

Here in TX we still have no water and not much winter to speak of.

My city has started adding purified waste water to try and make what little we do have last. :(

gabosaurus
01-25-2015, 09:48 PM
The weather forecast is now for up to three feet of snow. Along with high winds, creating blizzard conditions. Good time for everyone in the Northeast to stay inside.
I will be thinking of all of you and hoping you get along OK.

Weather for Huntington Beach, California

Mon
Chance of Showers
High 68° Low 52°

Tue
Partly Cloudy
High 68° Low 50°

Wed
Mostly Cloudy
High 70° Low 52°

Thu
Cloudy
High 66° Low 48°

SassyLady
01-26-2015, 12:49 AM
Jim, go find a neighbor that has one, help them get their driveway cleared and then ask if you can borrow it for your driveway. It's the neighborly thing to do.

darin
01-26-2015, 06:53 AM
The weather forecast is now for up to three feet of snow. Along with high winds, creating blizzard conditions. Good time for everyone in the Northeast to stay inside.

Jeezus man. Sometimes I think Mother Nature HATES ME, personally. No place I've lived gets the snow they 'usually get' while I live there. When I'm there? Record dry winters. Almost always. Then I move? And WOWO! the kinda snow you guys are getting - and should be HAPPY for...cuz...it's winter.

Stock up on stuff, bro. Power could go out. Make this an adventure!

jimnyc
01-26-2015, 07:25 AM
Jeezus man. Sometimes I think Mother Nature HATES ME, personally. No place I've lived gets the snow they 'usually get' while I live there. When I'm there? Record dry winters. Almost always. Then I move? And WOWO! the kinda snow you guys are getting - and should be HAPPY for...cuz...it's winter.

Stock up on stuff, bro. Power could go out. Make this an adventure!

Recently paid over $10k for a huge generator, and a tidy sum to have a permanent platform built in the backyard. Then paid plumber and electrician to get lines to it. But still useless, as we have to wait till March (from early December) for Con Edison to come out and finalize things. :(

jimnyc
01-26-2015, 07:26 AM

Wow, didn't know I could get one there! Will definitely remember that for when truly ready, and even found a few good deals. And like you said, with my prime account, free shipping!!

jimnyc
01-26-2015, 07:28 AM

3 feet? WTF? We get that I will be just sitting here for days. I have officially retired from shoveling that kind of snow!!

Jim, go find a neighbor that has one, help them get their driveway cleared and then ask if you can borrow it for your driveway. It's the neighborly thing to do.

I live on a road with all old people. I have a neighbors who are young, with 3 kids, and they shovel out that house. I offered to pay them together, or separately, and they all just laughed at me one time. :(

jimnyc
01-26-2015, 07:29 AM
And I hear ya, NT. While I sure as shit didn't have to do what you did - the chores were still the responsibility of the kids. Dad worked, and that was his job, and working on his truck - anything else around the house was the kids job, at least if you expected to ever leave the house again, or eat.

jimnyc
01-26-2015, 07:33 AM
Ahhhh, fu%$ me. Weather said it would start at like 1pm today as of last evening. I just looked out the window and it's starting already with some heavy flurries.

gabosaurus
01-26-2015, 11:10 AM
All of you who live in the Northeast, please stay safe and don't over exert yourselves. Don't get stuck anyplace.
I am baffled by the prospect of three feet of snow. Actually, I would be baffled over three inches of snow. I don't do snow. :eek:

Kathianne
01-26-2015, 11:11 AM
Ahhhh, fu%$ me. Weather said it would start at like 1pm today as of last evening. I just looked out the window and it's starting already with some heavy flurries.

Seems the 'blizzard warning' kicks in at 1 pm, snow usually proceeds that. ;)

NightTrain
01-26-2015, 12:34 PM
Recently paid over $10k for a huge generator, and a tidy sum to have a permanent platform built in the backyard. Then paid plumber and electrician to get lines to it. But still useless, as we have to wait till March (from early December) for Con Edison to come out and finalize things. :(

Nice!

I assume that you can't run it because you don't have the disconnect to isolate from the grid? That would be something your utility company would definitely do themselves.

Abbey Marie
01-26-2015, 12:55 PM

You must have had (have?) fantastic arm muscles, and slept like a log. :clap:

Kathianne
01-26-2015, 12:59 PM
One of the benefits about a blizzard hitting NY and the East Coast, we all get updates every couple minutes. While I was getting dressed, saw the Gov. of NY, NJ, and MA. I guess I missed CT gov by a few minutes. Now mayor of NY is on.

Seriously all of you out there, be safe and enjoy a nice fire-in the fireplace of course!

jimnyc
01-26-2015, 01:02 PM
Seems the 'blizzard warning' kicks in at 1 pm, snow usually proceeds that. ;)

Oh man, did you just make fun of me? :poke:

Unfortunately for me though, you are correct! LOL I thought that's when the snow started only. Seems like after dinner tonight until lunchtime tomorrow will be the worst of it, but should be getting some good snow all this afternoon.

jimnyc
01-26-2015, 01:05 PM
All of you who live in the Northeast, please stay safe and don't over exert yourselves. Don't get stuck anyplace.
I am baffled by the prospect of three feet of snow. Actually, I would be baffled over three inches of snow. I don't do snow. :eek:

I thought I was going to die from shoveling a few weeks back and that was only a few inches. This is going to suck. And I get stir crazy real easy. So even if I force the boy to shovel on Wed morning, he'll likely be like a turtle and I'll end up out there anyway so I can get out of the house!

Kathianne
01-26-2015, 01:06 PM
Oh man, did you just make fun of me? :poke:

Unfortunately for me though, you are correct! LOL I thought that's when the snow started only. Seems like after dinner tonight until lunchtime tomorrow will be the worst of it, but should be getting some good snow all this afternoon.

LOL! Seriously, they are saying 1-3" today, storm really hits around 7-8 pm, 2-4" per hour. They are saying 'lots' of snow, but it's the winds, up to 55mph inland that will be the problem. Sounds like what we had in Chicago two years ago, that one snow where I couldn't open any doors, drifts over 10' all over the place!

jimnyc
01-26-2015, 01:08 PM
Nice!

I assume that you can't run it because you don't have the disconnect to isolate from the grid? That would be something your utility company would definitely do themselves.

Yeppers. And they are slow as hell. Our guys contacted them and said it's normal to take months and months to get them to come out and finish these jobs. Gonna be awesome to know that we won't flood anymore should be lose power. Also good to know I can still watch TV when everyone else is down! :)

Kathianne
01-26-2015, 01:10 PM
I thought I was going to die from shoveling a few weeks back and that was only a few inches. This is going to suck. And I get stir crazy real easy. So even if I force the boy to shovel on Wed morning, he'll likely be like a turtle and I'll end up out there anyway so I can get out of the house!
Drudge has current info on the storm-states of emergency declared for NY, MA, CT, NJ...

CT has banned all motor vehicles after 9PM. Mass transit in NY starts reduced, closings after 4 pm.

gabosaurus
01-26-2015, 01:19 PM

Let us picture Jim as he tries to remove all the snow from in front of his home.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B8O0A0ACMAAPbbe.jpg:large

Kathianne
01-26-2015, 01:19 PM
Drudge has current info on the storm-states of emergency declared for NY, MA, CT, NJ...

CT has banned all motor vehicles after 9PM. Mass transit in NY starts reduced, closings after 4 pm.

I'm heading to work, won't be back until 10pm your time. I'll be looking at your weather then. Sounding a bit Gabby-like, it's going to be 64 here today. ;)

jimnyc
01-26-2015, 01:24 PM

Yeah, after 9pm tonight it's supposed to get real nasty, like 2 inches per hour and some very high winds. Sucks that all the fun to watch will happen overnight. At least if it's going to snow I should be able to enjoy watching it come down. I'll just be waking up to hell. :(

Kathianne
01-26-2015, 01:36 PM
Seems they are talking 'thunder snow' that's what we had two years ago, getting over 20".

jimnyc
01-26-2015, 01:42 PM
The latest for my area:

* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW...WITH BLIZZARD
CONDITIONS.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 20 TO 30 INCHES WITH
LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS..ESPECIALLY ACROSS LONG ISLAND AND
CONNECTICUT.

* SNOWFALL RATES...2 TO 4 INCHES PER HOUR LATE TONIGHT INTO
TUESDAY MORNING.

* WINDS...NORTH 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 50 MPH.

NightTrain
01-26-2015, 03:34 PM
You must have had (have?) fantastic arm muscles, and slept like a log. :clap:

Still got pretty big arms, but not like I had back then. When I was 18, I was shaped like a wedge with huge shoulders, arms & lats. Usually when I grabbed a hold of something, it moved. And, yeah... I never had problems falling asleep. I was really in shape, and many times every ligament in my body ached from the day's work!

darin
01-26-2015, 03:39 PM
what steams me...

People letting the Mayor - ANY mayor or governor etc, - go ahead and CLOSE the roads; forbidding "non-emergency" traffic.

Holy crapballs I'd be livid.

Wake up society - stop letting these fockers dictate your life. If I want to traverse the roads in 2' of snow, MY issue. If I die, MY fault. Not the gov't business to tell ME what my and my vehicles capabilites are.

:-/

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7583/16163469260_b750cc071c_o.jpg

LongTermGuy
01-26-2015, 04:27 PM
Not the gov't business to tell ME what my and my vehicles capabilites are.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7583/16163469260_b750cc071c_o.jpg

`​I feel the same....just installed a nice "zombie" bumper on my Jeep....:cool:

Elessar
01-26-2015, 11:11 PM

Find a Coal Shovel /Scoop! Best damn snow shovel I ever used. I grew up in West Virginia and remembers lots of 1+ foot snowfalls.

Kathianne
01-27-2015, 03:23 AM
It seems NYC wil catch a break, of a sorts.

New England not as lucky.

LongTermGuy
01-27-2015, 04:49 AM
It seems NYC wil catch a break, of a sorts.

New England not as lucky.

...Yup heard that also...just a little break of sorts..

KarlMarx
01-27-2015, 06:17 AM
Haven't read the whole thread.... I bought an Ariens snowblower a couple of years back (2 stage).... it has been a very good snowblower... it keeps up with whatever Mother Nature can throw at me... hope that helps.

I replaced the metal skids on the bottom of the intake hood with plastic ones because I didn't want the skids to scratch up my concrete driveway.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6975&stc=1

jimnyc
01-27-2015, 07:22 AM
^^ I want that!!

Well, not 3 feet, nor 2 feet, but still enough to where a snowblower would be awesome. So far we got like 10 inches, foot or so but it's still snowing. I just had to shovel the back patio and stairs and a path for the doggies. That alone almost put me into cardiac arrest! Too damn early to be out there shoveling!!

gabosaurus
01-27-2015, 11:03 AM
Meteorologists: Oops! We screwed up! Sorry! :laugh:

http://nypost.com/2015/01/27/national-weather-service-meteorologist-sorry-about-getting-that-blizzard-thing-wrong/

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/8436343040/h93206905/

Jeff
01-27-2015, 03:02 PM
Meteorologists: Oops! We screwed up! Sorry! :laugh:

http://nypost.com/2015/01/27/national-weather-service-meteorologist-sorry-about-getting-that-blizzard-thing-wrong/

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/8436343040/h93206905/

I remember living in the NE and it always seemed to do this, if they predicted it the wind change and we just missed it, but if they said we would just miss it watch out :laugh:

Jeff
01-27-2015, 03:12 PM
By the way Jim I am glad it was 10 to 12 ( hopefully according to the news ya didn't get much more ) that is more than a job to have to shovel but heck it could of been 24 to 36 by some forecast, hope y'all get through this one easy enough and the weather gets better up there, we have it bad here to, 50 today but going to 29 tonight :freezing:but 59 for the high by the end of the week. My kids have never had to shovel, yes we have had snow down here but it usually melts after a day or so, schools are closed for 4 or 5 days just to make sure, so yes they pray for snow each night :laugh:

dmp talking of the states closing things, last year in Atlanta we had IDK maybe a inch or so and the Governor called a state of emergency, we actually had people stuck in there cars for like 24 hours, we are not equipped for snow at all down here and if it starts during rush hour Atlanta is at a stand still anyway so nothing goes no where,including salt trucks. Coming from the NE this really cracks me up.

darin
01-28-2015, 07:13 AM
I remember that atlanta fiasco! I hate the thought of the untold MILLIONS who are utterly helpless when faced with even rudimentary challenges. :(

Jeff
01-28-2015, 07:37 AM
I remember that atlanta fiasco! I hate the thought of the untold MILLIONS who are utterly helpless when faced with even rudimentary challenges. :(

It was sad dmp, looked like a bunch of cattle that couldn't find there way out of the fields.

darin
01-28-2015, 08:44 AM
Resolve yourself to not being one of those guys. Drive a car capable of traversing roads; surviving within if required. Prepare. :)

Jeff
01-28-2015, 09:05 AM
Resolve yourself to not being one of those guys. Drive a car capable of traversing roads; surviving within if required. Prepare. :)

Agreed, but honestly it isn't all about the vehicle, the amount of snow that had fallen in Atlanta that day was very little, I have rode a Motor Cycle in more snow, yes when living in NJ I worked a couple of miles from the house and one winter morning when I went to leave for work my pick up wouldn't start ( there was no snow in the forecast but a cold light drizzle was falling ) so I pulled the bike out and went on to work, around lunch time the drizzle turned to a light snow ( I was a truck driver and was out of town making a delivery so I had no idea it had changed ) I returned to the yard that I worked at and we had about a inch or so of snow on the ground, so I let some air out of the tires for better traction and took a slow ride home riding in the tire tracks cars had made, would I of chose to do this no, but when you have to go common sense goes a long way. Incidentally that was the last time I rode that bike, I wouldn't take a chance the rest of that winter counting on what the weather man said and sold the bike in the spring, dang I do miss that one. :laugh:

sundaydriver
02-01-2015, 09:34 AM
After missing the call on the last snowstorm here they aren't taking any chances with the forecast.

CHANCES FOR SNOW TOTALS (Sunday evening/Monday)
<4" - 25%
4-8" - 40%
8-12" - 30%
>12" - 5%

I guess these are the odds in Vegas.

jimnyc
02-01-2015, 09:51 AM
I have a fear of dentists, and a weird fear of initializing phone calls. It took me like a year to make an appt to finally get a root canal done. Once I called and the appt was set, I felt so much better. The appointment is for tomorrow at 11am.

And just my luck, another storm is listed for starting at 8pm tonight and we're expecting anything from 2-7 inches depending on where you read. I have 4 wheel drive and plan on being there even if it's a blizzard, but with my luck this appt will end up being canceled. And this REALLY needs to get done.

At least the boy is happy as he thinks he'll get another day off tomorrow!

LongTermGuy
02-01-2015, 10:57 AM
I have a fear of dentists, and a weird fear of initializing phone calls. It took me like a year to make an appt to finally get a root canal done. Once I called and the appt was set, I felt so much better. The appointment is for tomorrow at 11am.

And just my luck, another storm is listed for starting at 8pm tonight and we're expecting anything from 2-7 inches depending on where you read. I have 4 wheel drive and plan on being there even if it's a blizzard, but with my luck this appt will end up being canceled. And this REALLY needs to get done.

At least the boy is happy as he thinks he'll get another day off tomorrow!

`Hey Jim...If I may ask...what kind of 4-wheel drive do you have? Just asking thats all...`

jimnyc
02-01-2015, 11:40 AM
`Hey Jim...If I may ask...what kind of 4-wheel drive do you have? Just asking thats all...`

Nothing special, a 2004 4 Runner. I never do any off road or anything like that, but it is nice to have the 4 wheel every now and again, especially in the snow. Doesn't do much for helping me get out of my driveway on a steep angle though, so the shoveling can't be avoided.