PDA

View Full Version : teenagers will be the death of me

Trigg
01-27-2015, 04:21 PM
Kyle (my 17yr old) called me the other day to tell me about a car accident he had been in, the delivery of which could have used some work. He did get all the "good" information out of the way first. Here is some of the conversation.

Kyle: Hi mom, I had my seat belt on

Me: ok, what happened

Kyle: and, no one is hurt

Me: Kyle, what happened?

Kyle: don't worry, it was a very controlled 360 we were going very slow, we even stayed on the road

Me: where are you? what happened? do you need help? are you on the side of the road?

At this point I"m asked all the scared mom questions and Kyle is completely confused as to why I'm upset, since he says "I was giving you good news so you wouldn't freak out".

TEENAGERS!!

Turns out they hit a patch of ice, spun and slid into a guard rail which ripped the bumper off and punctured the tire. They had called the boy who was drivings father (he's an EMT where I work) and he was already on the way and the police were called.

Of course they missed the movie they had planned to go to, which greatly upset them all.

That night one more grey hair appeared..........teenagers :slap:

gabosaurus
01-27-2015, 04:23 PM
As the mom of a 13-year-old, I do not wish to hear (or even think about) these things. :eek:

Trigg
01-27-2015, 04:29 PM
As the mom of a 13-year-old, I do not wish to hear (or even think about) these things. :eek:

I can only tell to you to wrap her in bubble wrap NOW, before it's to late. :laugh:

My, now 21yr old, only told me years after the fact, that he once missed a tight turn and ran through a corn field. I could have happily gone my whole life without hearing that little tid-bit of information.

gabosaurus
01-27-2015, 04:39 PM
When my daughter turned 13 last May, I told my mom about my fears of raising a teenager. My mom laughed and said "I'm going to enjoy every minute of it."
My parents have rarely complained about the various torments inflicted upon them by sister and I while growing up. I have a feeling it is coming, though. One incident at a time, for the next six years or so. :cool:

Kathianne
01-28-2015, 01:43 AM
My daughter has ADD, no hyperactivity. When she was in driver's ed, I took her out to practice. Had her drive to the grocery, about 1/2 mile from out house. She'd been walking there for the two years we'd lived there.

Basically was two turns. Well, she drove right past the grocery, I didn't say a word. She kept going for another 12 miles! Then I did say, "Ummm, when do you think we should be there?" No response. Since we'd gone through 3 suburbs, I decided we needed to turn around.

All I could keep thinking, "She'd keep driving until the gas ran out!"

I didn't allow her to get her license at 16. At 18 one of my friends took her to get her license, without my knowledge. (Yes, we're still friends, but this was a real problem.)

A couple days after she got her license, she had her youngest brother in the car. He called me, "Mom, sister was driving us to Yorktown Mall, (12 minutes from out home), we've been in the car for 45 minutes and I'm seeing cows! How do we get home?"

Ahem.

They were past Elgin, way north and west of where they planned on going. Thank God the youngest had enough sense to know they were way off base.

Umm, she had a spat of issues with cars and trees appearing out of 'no where.'

I'm happy to say that time seems to have really made her a good driver, along with GPS. ;)

darin
01-28-2015, 07:14 AM
Oh man - glad nobody was hurt.

Rules for my kids' cars: Slow. Big. Survivable.

Jeff
01-28-2015, 07:47 AM
When my daughter turned 13 last May, I told my mom about my fears of raising a teenager. My mom laughed and said "I'm going to enjoy every minute of it."
My parents have rarely complained about the various torments inflicted upon them by sister and I while growing up. I have a feeling it is coming, though. One incident at a time, for the next six years or so. :cool:

Gabby I have heard my Dad tell each one of my siblings how happy he is when they ( we ) complain about something our kids are doing, yup he always talks about how sweet it is. :laugh:

Trigg glad all are OK, but what really scares me is I remember when I was a teen and the things we did, My Lord if my kids do half of the things we did I would kill them :laugh: ( in reality have a heart attack thinking and worrying about them )

Trigg
01-28-2015, 04:54 PM
Oh man - glad nobody was hurt.

Rules for my kids' cars: Slow. Big. Survivable.

They were driving a large SUV which is why I wasn't too worried when they headed out. Yep, large metal vehicles for young drivers are the way to go.

sundaydriver
02-01-2015, 10:08 AM
Dad woke me early on a Sunday morning to ask me where my Chevelle was after he noticed it was not at the house. I told him I had an accident and it was towed to a garage a few miles away. He checked me to make sure I was alright, not a scratch, then we went to see the car. When Dad saw the car his eyes grew huge and his jaw just dropped.

The front end was just about ripped off, motor was hanging, right rear fender & bumper was laying off to the side, and the roof was flattened down to the doors. He looked at the car and then at me, then the car and me again. The conversation went like this.

Dad: Were you in the car when this happened because it looks like it went off a cliff?
Me: yeah.
Dad: you were driving this car when this happened?
Dad: you were really in the car when this happened?
Dad: you were really, really in this car during the accident?
Dad: I don't believe it!

Dad was even more surprised the next day when he read the police report the next day to see I was only doing 35 mph (10 mph lower than the limit) and lost control trying to avoid a dog that ran across that lonely back road.

Thank you for a friend for the Cop on the scene who sent the State Police on their way and for all the alcohol I had drunk to keep me loose as I bounced around in that car that took over 500 feet to stop atop it's roof on the railroad tracks from 105 mph. Kids, huh!

tailfins
02-01-2015, 10:43 AM
Kyle (my 17yr old) called me the other day to tell me about a car accident he had been in, the delivery of which could have used some work. He did get all the "good" information out of the way first. Here is some of the conversation.

Kyle: Hi mom, I had my seat belt on

Me: ok, what happened

Kyle: and, no one is hurt

Me: Kyle, what happened?

Kyle: don't worry, it was a very controlled 360 we were going very slow, we even stayed on the road

Me: where are you? what happened? do you need help? are you on the side of the road?

At this point I"m asked all the scared mom questions and Kyle is completely confused as to why I'm upset, since he says "I was giving you good news so you wouldn't freak out".

TEENAGERS!!

Turns out they hit a patch of ice, spun and slid into a guard rail which ripped the bumper off and punctured the tire. They had called the boy who was drivings father (he's an EMT where I work) and he was already on the way and the police were called.

Of course they missed the movie they had planned to go to, which greatly upset them all.

That night one more grey hair appeared..........teenagers :slap:

You can't micromanage their lives. Either you trust God to teach them wisdom and protect them when they are foolish or you don't. When I was about that age, I paid $50 to a neighbor kid that was bragging about his 1970 Plymouth Road Runner to get me to a town 8 miles away only accessible by a windy blacktop in 5 minutes. He totaled the car about halfway there when he spun out in a curve. I still gave him the $50 even though he failed. It was green like the one below:

http://images.classiccars.com/classifieds/332430_13387521_1970_Plymouth_Road%2BRunner.jpg