PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma gets Illegal Immigration Right

-Cp
06-26-2007, 12:27 PM
Oklahoma's Governor Brad Henry has signed a sweeping immigration reform bill, House Bill 1804, that its sponsor believes will go a long way in dealing with the illegal alien problem in the state.

House Bill 1804 was passed by overwhelming majorities in both the House and Senate of the Oklahoma Legislature. The measure's sponsor, State Representative Randy Terrill, says the bill has four main topical areas: it deals with identity theft; it terminates public assistance benefits to illegals; it empowers state and local police to enforce federal immigration laws; and it punishes employers who knowingly hire illegal aliens.

Oklahoma is no longer "O.K." for illegal aliens, Terrill observes. "When you put everything together in context," he contends, "the bottom line is illegal aliens will not come here if there are no jobs waiting for them, they will not stay here if there is no government subsidy, and they certainly won't stay here if they know that if they ever encounter our state and local law enforcement officers, they will be physically detained until they're deported. And that's exactly what House Bill 1804 does."

The Oklahoma legislator is pleased the bill he sponsored into law was signed by Governor Henry and believes it will go a long way to curb the illegal immigration problem in the state. "I would remind people that states are separate sovereigns in our federal system," Terrill points out. "Anyone who doesn't understand that needs to go back and take an American federal government class in college," he says.

As a result of that sovereignty, the Oklahoma lawmaker insists, "we have as much right -- in fact, I would argue, a responsibility -- to protect our taxpayers against that sort of egregious waste, fraud and abuse as the federal government should have a responsibility to protect that international border, but doesn't do that."

Terrill says as long as the federal government refuses to do its job of protecting the international borders of the United States, states like Oklahoma must take action to deal with the problem that is costing taxpayers in the state $200 million a year in public benefits, law enforcement costs, and other resources.

http://www.onenewsnow.com/2007/05/oklahoma_no_longer_ok_for_ille.php

nevadamedic
06-26-2007, 12:41 PM
Instead of passing this bull shit amnesty bill the Senate should pass a bill like this.

Gaffer
06-26-2007, 01:20 PM
We need more states doing the same thing. The federal government can no longer be counted on.

theHawk
06-26-2007, 01:26 PM
wow that is awesome.

Kathianne
06-26-2007, 01:34 PM
Yep, if the US would do the same, we wouldn't need the wall. Sheesh!

I'd vote for that governor for national office.

nevadamedic
07-16-2007, 10:29 PM
We need more states doing the same thing. The federal government can no longer be counted on.

Maybe if we wrote our elected officials and attached a copy of this bill, they might get the hint?

waterrescuedude2000
07-16-2007, 10:35 PM
Its about time someone does something about it. You cant count on the federal government when it comes to stuff like this. I say lets make this man president. But Tancredo would do an awesome job to. I think he will make some good steps forward in our problems with illegals. By the way go sign his petition at

http://www.teamtancredo.com/save_america_index.asp

5stringJeff
07-16-2007, 10:37 PM
Best news I've heard about immigration for a long time.

nevadamedic
07-16-2007, 10:53 PM
Best news I've heard about immigration for a long time.

No kidding, we need to get elected officials who will take a stand about this problem and National Security Issue.

waterrescuedude2000
07-17-2007, 04:05 AM
And we need to implement what I have been saying for a long time. Sniper towers and or Hunting Liscense. Harsh?? Well its a war on our border tough shit. They shoot at us why cant we do the same? Well the immigrants that are going through mexico from south america trying to come to america illegally. well they are also in mexico illegally. They get raped beaten and robbed so why cant we beat and rob their immigrants coming from mexico??

Kathianne
07-17-2007, 09:23 AM
A bit of good news these parts:

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/471258,CST-NWS-WAUK17.article

Waukegan stands by deportation decision

July 17, 2007

BY NORMAN PARISH AND LEONARD N. FLEMING Staff Reporters

WAUKEGAN -- Despite the presence of opponents inside and protesters outside its chambers, the Waukegan City Council voted Monday to stand by a controversial decision to join federal efforts to deport violent undocumented offenders.

The vote to back the council's decision last month to expand immigration powers and deportation proceedings was 8-2, with Mayor Richard Hyde making a special point of voting to support the measure.

"I feel wonderful," Hyde said in an interview after the vote. "This is one of the best things that has happened to this city."

Hyde said the enforcement measure will better help police deal with crime, streamline the deportation process and get rid of illegal immigrant offenders more quickly.

Maricela Fajardo, a 32-year-old Waukegan store manager, left the meeting disappointed.

"I don't agree with this," she said. "This wasn't right. I think it is just discrimination."

More than 100 motivated opponents spilled out as soon as the vote was taken, while authorities prepared for trouble, donning riot gear and holding police dogs on leash.

Moving forward with the federal 287(g) authorization would ultimately mean Waukegan police could obtain authority to begin deportation proceedings for illegal residents convicted of violent crimes and drug violations.

Earlier Monday, the street outside the municipal building in the far north suburban city was inundated with more than 3,000 people -- mostly Hispanics -- who held a loud but peaceful protest rally.

"I just want to see justice for everyone," said Carlos Torres, a 49-year-old salesman whose family has been in the United States for a generation. He clutched a miniature American flag.

"We were made by God. My family has helped make this country," Torres said. "They [the City Council] are not fair. We need justice."

But there were about 50 proponents of the measure, like Phillip Dill, 52, of Waukegan, who held a dueling rally of sorts.

"I want the illegals out of here," said Dill, who also held a small American flag. "I don't have a problem with the people who are legal. I think that [the proposed law] should be tougher."

Two black and two Hispanic council members were among those casting votes on the expanded enforcement -- with one black and one Hispanic showing their support for the controversial measure.

Came from North Carolina
Waukegan officials were ready for the face-off, as more than 100 police officers from various law enforcement agencies -- some on horseback -- worked the barricaded crowd.

Protesters who lined Martin Luther King Drive likened the city ordinance to racial profiling.

Various signs excoriated the council over the issue. One exclaimed, "Forget Iraq, Waukegan has its own private war with the Mexicans."

Ramon Becerra, president of the Labor Council for Latin American Advancement, called for a boycott for businesses that don't support their cause. He said that 200 companies out of 1,200 are backing him.

"We will not compromise," Becerra said. "We will not negotiate. We will use every inch of our resources to make sure we defeat this administration."

The main speaker for those supporting the measure was William Gheen, president of Americans for Legal Immigration. He traveled from Raleigh, N.C., to witness the vote.

"Waukegan has become a central battle against illegal immigration," Gheen said. "We don't want to see Waukegan backing down to mob rule."

nevadamedic
07-17-2007, 12:54 PM
A bit of good news these parts:

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/471258,CST-NWS-WAUK17.article

The law should have deported any illegal who has come in contact with Law Enforcement.

Kathianne
07-17-2007, 01:04 PM
The law should have deported any illegal who has come in contact with Law Enforcement.

Fine, how are the local police supposed to do what the feds won't? Waukegan is a non-wealthy city, with serious problems including murder and rape. You would have the police spend their time on ICE type paperwork instead of patrolling the streets? Not if you lived in Waukegan.