PDA

View Full Version : Federal Power

Perianne
01-29-2015, 11:35 AM
I hope I am not breaking any rules here by quoting something from a PM. If so, please forgive me. I am not quoting him to make him look bad, but rather to give credit.

In a PM with Drummond, I asked him if we could find something with which to debate each other. He mentioned this: What is the extent to which Central Government should consider itself justified in governing an individual's life?

I tend to think that each state should govern its own self and have laws that fit its citizens' desires and needs. Strictly speaking, I believe the only power the Federal government has is the powers expressly granted to it by the U. S. Constitution.

If Colorado, for example, wants to legalize gay weddings, then go for it. If Mississippi wants to deny queers or blacks or muslims the right to eat at a lunch counter, then go for it. States determine, except as stated earlier.

fj1200
01-29-2015, 01:07 PM
A couple of points; first, the Federal government has expanded so far beyond the original scope of the Constitution that almost any issue is colored by that. Take gay marriage as an example, it becomes an equal protection issue once Congress starts granting benefits based on the privilege of state-sponsored marriage.

Second, any particular state has no business passing legislation that denies gay/blacks/Muslims/Christians/straights/etc. the right to eat at a lunch counter; it is clearly unconstitutional. Whether a business should be granted the right to deny service is a different question.

Kathianne
01-30-2015, 02:14 AM
I hope I am not breaking any rules here by quoting something from a PM. If so, please forgive me. I am not quoting him to make him look bad, but rather to give credit.

In a PM with Drummond, I asked him if we could find something with which to debate each other. He mentioned this: What is the extent to which Central Government should consider itself justified in governing an individual's life?

I tend to think that each state should govern its own self and have laws that fit its citizens' desires and needs. Strictly speaking, I believe the only power the Federal government has is the powers expressly granted to it by the U. S. Constitution.

If Colorado, for example, wants to legalize gay weddings, then go for it. If Mississippi wants to deny queers or blacks or muslims the right to eat at a lunch counter, then go for it. States determine, except as stated earlier.
Classic argument of state's rights vs. Federal.

I thought FJ accepted your challenge of debate?