PDA

View Full Version : A liberal watches "American Sniper"

gabosaurus
02-02-2015, 10:01 PM
Primarily motivated by the discussions on this board, I accepted an invitation to join a group of AP History students for a screening of "American Sniper" today.
As I have stated before, I am not a fan of war movies. I feel that, in large part, history is cast aside in favor of marketability. But I felt obligated to see something that is such a large topic of discussion.

Never been a fan of Clint Eastwood, but I have to admit that he did a great job with this one. I saw "American Sniper" not as a war movie, but as a fascinating character study of a troubled yet dedicated person.
My dad's best friend, a Vietnam vet turned anti-war advocate, loved the movie. His opinion convinced me that the only way to judge the movie was to see it myself.
"The movie does not advocate war. It IS war. Any vet who has been in combat can feel the characters, before and after."

I actually enjoyed the portrayal of Kyle and his wife. The script and acting were very well done. The movie was not as violent as I feared it would be. Nor did the violence feel gratuitous. The family scenes were almost as harrowing as the action, because you could sense the tension and anxiety.
The movie made me recall a discussion forum I went to in college with a group of veterans. One was asked if he felt guilty about participating in a "needless war."
"No one on the ground makes orders. We follow orders. It's like working at a restaurant. If you serve a sandwich that kills someone, it's not your fault. You didn't make the sandwich. You didn't know know what was in it.
"In the military, you are taught to carry out orders and return alive. If someone tries to keep you from carrying out your orders, you do what you have to do. The good soldier carries out orders. It's the ones who enjoy carrying out orders that you have to worry about."

Kathianne
02-02-2015, 10:35 PM
Primarily motivated by the discussions on this board, I accepted an invitation to join a group of AP History students for a screening of "American Sniper" today.
As I have stated before, I am not a fan of war movies. I feel that, in large part, history is cast aside in favor of marketability. But I felt obligated to see something that is such a large topic of discussion.

Never been a fan of Clint Eastwood, but I have to admit that he did a great job with this one. I saw "American Sniper" not as a war movie, but as a fascinating character study of a troubled yet dedicated person.
My dad's best friend, a Vietnam vet turned anti-war advocate, loved the movie. His opinion convinced me that the only way to judge the movie was to see it myself.
"The movie does not advocate war. It IS war. Any vet who has been in combat can feel the characters, before and after."

I actually enjoyed the portrayal of Kyle and his wife. The script and acting were very well done. The movie was not as violent as I feared it would be. Nor did the violence feel gratuitous. The family scenes were almost as harrowing as the action, because you could sense the tension and anxiety.
The movie made me recall a discussion forum I went to in college with a group of veterans. One was asked if he felt guilty about participating in a "needless war."
"No one on the ground makes orders. We follow orders. It's like working at a restaurant. If you serve a sandwich that kills someone, it's not your fault. You didn't make the sandwich. You didn't know know what was in it.
"In the military, you are taught to carry out orders and return alive. If someone tries to keep you from carrying out your orders, you do what you have to do. The good soldier carries out orders. It's the ones who enjoy carrying out orders that you have to worry about."

The book describes the 'best parts' of the movie even better and in Kyle's own words. There is much more character to his wife, not to mention friends than the movie comes close to. While I suppose the movie does explain to some degree his guilt whether home or reenlisting, even when he gets out, one can see the healing.

In many ways it reminds me of JFK's presidency, while those first 3 years were full of bloops, he seemed to be learning some very important lessons. Then it was all too short.

darin
02-03-2015, 06:04 AM

it's funny seeing you attempting to qualify your opinions with 'credentials'; mentioning your Father's friend. Further, you mentioned 'meeting with veterans'. It's like you're trying to suck up, psychologically.

Jeff
02-03-2015, 07:16 AM

Seems I described it to you pretty well, dang Gabs I am geting to know you to well. :laugh:

jimnyc
02-03-2015, 08:04 AM

Fair start. I don't think people should feel obligated to see the movie, but certainly should if they are going to condemn Chris Kyle or his storied career - unless you knew him, or read the book. I think whether condemning, or holding up as a hero - we should know the person, the motives, the family, what they did and for what reasoning.

You say your Dads friend is a Vietnam vet - does he think Chrisy Kyle is a "psychopath" as well? Does he see fellow soldiers similarly? Was he condemning him prior to seeing the movie, reading the book, or based on what other pundits had to say?

This is what the man did. His family and home life suffered because he felt he was more needed helping fellow soldiers. He obviously loved his family, and was conflicted, but he had a gift and knew it.

Please remember this the next time you decide to bash the troops, or hearing another liberal bashing the troops.

Other than that, I applaud you for seeing the movie, knowing your biases. And also returning with a review of a slightly changed perspective.