PDA

View Full Version : Easy chicken soup

darin
02-09-2015, 07:26 AM
Easy-peasy...

What you'll need:

2 quarts Water
Chicken fryer, cut-up; or chicken thigh or breast pieces - skin on.
celery
onion
carrott
Noodles/rice
Chicken Stock/boulion
Old Bay seasoning
Salt
Pepper
Push-it, push it good. Sorry - salt. Pepper. You know...the band? Whatever.
Cayanne
More water, maybe later

Dice the onion and chop the celery and carrots.

Get a big pot - toss in a few tbl spoons of olive oil. As things warm up on Med heat, throw in the onions and celery and cook until nearly translucent. Shove those to the sides and drop the chicken pieces in, skin-side-down. Let that cook untouched for about 5 minutes.

While that's cooking heat your water - I use 2 quarts in the microwave - and stir in your chicken base/boulion (I use better-than-boulion). Whisk until blended. Using hot water helps the boulion blend and doesn't cool the pot as much as cold water.

After the timer sounds at 5 minutes, pour in the water and add a bunch of Old Bay seasoning - I put in...wow...probably 4-5 tablespoons? More? And toss in a couple teaspoons of Cayanne - to taste. Salt, pepper to taste. Throw in the carrots.

Cover and let it rolling-boil or hard-simmer for 60 minutes.

Spend 55 minutes here on DebatePolicy.com trying to keep up with my perfect arguments for or against something.

When the timer sounds - CAREFULLY remove the chicken using tongs.

Place the yard-bird on a cutting mat (I place the mat in a sheet-pan to keep the counters dry; the chicken will ooze water) and while holding with the tongs, use a fork to strip and shred the meat away. Discard the skin.

Add the shredded chicken back to the pot - toss in about 1.5 cups of rice or noodles (bow-tie work well) and boil for 20 minutes. Depending on my guestimate of the water level, sometimes I add another 2-4 cups with boulion/stock.

As it cools, eat it. And it's probably delicious. Adding more rice will reduce the liquid levels - A LOT. Even as it sits the soup will get thicker as the rice sucks up the water faster than CNN sucks-up EVERYTHING Obama says. Said another way, the water level in the soup will go down faster than a liberal on Sharpton EVERY TIME a black dude gets arrested by a white cop.

That's really it. I've been making it for the past few months - probably have made 6 batches. I adjust stuff sometimes - adding sage, or cilantro - whatever strikes me. But don't forget the Old Bay.

Jeff
02-09-2015, 07:31 AM
I have to agree Darin, that Old Bay seasoning makes anything just a bit better, I haven't tried the cilantro but will be now, love the stuff just never thought about putting it in the soup, thanks for the recipe !! :thumb:

NightTrain
02-09-2015, 09:31 AM
Spend 55 minutes here on DebatePolicy.com trying to keep up with my perfect arguments for or against something.

That made me LOL. :thumb:

Jeff
02-09-2015, 09:42 AM
That made me LOL. [/COLOR]:thumb:

This is what cracked me up !

As it cools, eat it. And it's probably delicious. Adding more rice will reduce the liquid levels - A LOT. Even as it sits the soup will get thicker as the rice sucks up the water faster than CNN sucks-up EVERYTHING Obama says. Said another way, the water level in the soup will go down faster than a liberal on Sharpton EVERY TIME a black dude gets arrested by a white cop.

jackdcuna
04-12-2015, 11:33 AM
Tried this recipe a while back. Since then I've made this over and over again.