PDA

View Full Version : ISIS Next Taget: Lebanon

Kathianne
02-27-2015, 07:11 PM
http://www.worldaffairsjournal.org/blog/michael-j-totten/isis-next-target

ISIS has announced that Lebanon will be the next state to fall under the sway of its “caliphate.” According to Beirut's Daily Star newspaper, the only reason ISIS hasn't attacked yet in force is because they haven't decided on the mission's commander.
The Lebanese army is one of the least effective in the Middle East—and that's saying something in a region where the far more capable Syrian and Iraqi armies are utterly failing to safeguard what should be their own sovereign territory.

So France is going to send a three billion dollar package of weapons to Lebanon and the Saudis are going to pay for it. It won't solve the problem any more than a full-body cast will cure cancer, but it beats standing around and not even trying.

It may seem surprising at first that Riyadh is willing to fund a Lebanese Maginot Line. Saudi Arabia is the most culturally conservative Arab country and Lebanon is the most liberal, partly because of its one-third Christian minority, but also because Lebanon's Sunni Muslims are, for the most part, Mediterranean merchants rather than isolated desert-dwellers. They've been exposed to cosmopolitan ideas and culture for centuries while most Saudis outside the Hejaz region on the Red Sea have been hermetically sealed off from the wider world and its ways for millennia.

Despite the vast cultural differences between Saudi Arabia and Lebanon, the Saudis want Beirut to remain exactly as it is—a freewheeling Arabic-speaking “Amsterdam” or “Hong Kong” on the Med. The Saudis vacation there in droves when they need a break from their fanatically conservative homeland. The country is like a pressure release valve. If they were to lose it, they'd have to holiday in France where they feel profoundly unwelcome.

But aside from all that, the Saudis feel just as uneasy about ISIS as everyone else. Never mind the ideological overlap between the upstart jihadists and the Wahhabi-backed monarchy. ISIS threatens every single government in the region. It would make permanent alliances with none and conquer all if it could.

DLT
02-28-2015, 04:30 PM
http://www.worldaffairsjournal.org/blog/michael-j-totten/isis-next-target

But aside from all that, the Saudis feel just as uneasy about ISIS as everyone else.

I'm not so sure about that. I realize it's a deeply complex situation...but isn't Saudi mostly Sunni? And isn't ISIS Sunni?

Correct me if I'm wrong here....but....

we could be having the proverbial 'wool' pulled over our eyes.

Kathianne
02-28-2015, 08:59 PM
I'm not so sure about that. I realize it's a deeply complex situation...but isn't Saudi mostly Sunni? And isn't ISIS Sunni?

Correct me if I'm wrong here....but....

we could be having the proverbial 'wool' pulled over our eyes.

I don't think so, considering how little attention Obama is actually paying. Besides that, the Sauds have had huge problems within their country with Sunnis. Remember bin Laden.