PDA

View Full Version : NYC public schools to close on 2 Muslim holidays

Jeff
03-05-2015, 10:42 AM
As we now close schools at the end of December for Winter break and then again around April for spring break NYC has come forward and said yes to two new Muslim holidays. I wonder what makes one religion OK but the other must close schools for different reasons, and yes tell me how they are only closing for one day not the week as they do for winter break, well for years we called it the Christmas holiday and I don't see anyone suffering because of it. Yes the article says NYC schools have long closed for Christmas, seems someone might need to do their homework, at least down here they call it winter break.

NEW YORK (AP) — The nation's largest public school system will observe the two most important Muslim holidays starting next fall, a policy change hailed Wednesday by Islamic leaders in New York City.

Under the new policy, the city's 1.1 million-pupil public school system will close on Sept. 24 for Eid al-Adha, which is also known as the Festival of Sacrifice. The holiday of Eid al-Fitr, marking the end of Ramadan, will be observed during summer school in 2016.
"Hundreds of thousands of Muslim families will no longer have to choose between honoring the most sacred days on their calendar or attending school," Mayor Bill de Blasio said in his announcement.
Muslim leaders welcomed the announcement.

http://news.yahoo.com/mayor-nyc-public-schools-close-2-muslim-holidays-153951175.html

Olivia
03-05-2015, 12:58 PM
I call it Christmas and Easter.

I have zero zero sympathy for liberals in NYC.

Jeff
03-05-2015, 04:49 PM
I call it Christmas and Easter.

I have zero zero sympathy for liberals in NYC.

I call it that as well as do my kids, but when receiving e mails from the school board it is called winter break and spring break, just seems to me either do it one way or the other, if ya can't have religious holidays then don't have any period.