PDA

View Full Version : History and ethics of street gangs

gabosaurus
06-27-2007, 10:31 PM
My brother-in-law knows I work with at-risk kids, so he invited me to a seminar last night that was organized and presented by past and present leaders of L.A. street gangs. They are trying to put together a truce that would reduce the amount of crime and violence that are plaguing various neighborhoods.
I know I knew a lot about gangs and street violence, but this totally blew me away. Especially the causes and prospective solutions.
Basically, the situation is threatening to become Sept. 11 times 100. A lone terrorist attack would be nothing compared to a city blowing up from the inside.
Following the Watts riots and Rodney King flare-up, the city came together in related ways. Money was spent on improvements and social programs that helped educated younger people and kept them off the streets. As a famous boxer once said "you can't hold a knife or fire a gun while wearing gloves."
For years after both, the potential gang members were able to spend their time productively, as opposed to roaming the streets fighting each other. Gang truces went into effect. Police presence decreased.
Starting with the Clinton administration, and continuing into the Bush era, those funds generally dried up. Today, there are little to no social programs remaining. Jobs have disappeared. The poor areas have become more defined and closed off. Weapons and drugs have become increasing more available.
That kicked the greed factor back off, with the gangs again fighting for turf and market share. (By the way, about 70 percent of illegal narcotics are bought by whites). Black and Mexican kids are becoming increasingly more disenfranchised. They are turning to gangs more than ever.

The solution is to replace social programs and improve them. (Yes, I know you would rather buy a boat or a jet ski then help someone).
The consequences if you don't? The gang turf war moves to your neighborhood. Yes, the upscale white neighborhoods. With the 60s generation growing up, and their kids and grandkids getting more hip to drugs, the market is growing exponentially. Thus, the need for more dealers. To feed their habits, the kids (and older) will need more money. They will be looking to steal your car and break into your house.
Yes, you can take out the street dealer. Ten more of his buddies will be back for retribution. You say you have a weapon and can defend yourself? They all have weapons too. Bigger and better ones.

It's your choice -- pay now, or pay later.

Yurt
06-27-2007, 11:03 PM
The ethics of the gangs at my junior high school were:

are you red? are you blue? and then they killed each other over the color of their clothing

nevadamedic
06-27-2007, 11:07 PM
The ethics of the gangs at my junior high school were:

are you red? are you blue? and then they killed each other over the color of their clothing

The gangs here were such wannabe's that they used water pistols. :laugh2:

gabosaurus
06-27-2007, 11:58 PM
Checking with the Gang Task Force shows that the Reno-Sparks-Carson City area is one of the most fertile area for gang development. Primarily because of the increasing drug trade and lack of gang presence in the area. Nine gangs are now present in the area, with a dozen more looking. Included is the notorious MS13 (look them up) and Pirus.
I then did a search and found this:

In Carson: Solutions sought for street gangs

Provided by the Nevada Appeal
June 14, 2007

Carson City has received a number of grants in recent days aimed at combating street gangs.

District Attorney Neil Rombardo announced Wednesday that Carson City has been selected as one of six jurisdictions nationwide that will participate in an initiative known as the Gang Response Model created by the National District Attorneys Association.

“The Carson City Sheriff’s Office has identified at least nine gangs in Carson City, and various factors are drawing more gang members to the Carson City area,” Rombardo said. In the application for the assistance, Rombardo noted that the city’s location geographically makes it an ideal rest stop for Mexican drug traffickers and the estimated 400 gang members in Carson City are easy prey for large drug cartels looking for people to move their merchandise.

“We are optimistic that this program will bring new ideas to Carson City to assist us in addressing gang violence and related crimes,” he said.

According to the association’s Web site, the gang program is designed to help prosecutors understand their role when responding to criminal gang activity.