PDA

View Full Version : Schools Systemic Discrimination Against Boys?

Kathianne
03-09-2015, 11:01 AM
For years I've written about how schools have never been exactly 'boy friendly' environments, now a study adds to the argument. Since the 1960's though, it has been a growing problem, in part at least due to the emphasis on 'helping' girls succeed.

I would suggest that the Economist article linked in the following, is well worth reading.

http://www.the-american-interest.com/2015/03/08/the-modern-education-system-is-anti-boy/

The Modern Education System is Anti-Boy

Boys are falling behind in school—performing poorly, some even dropping out—but it’s not all the fault of boys themselves, according to a new report by OECD, a French think tank. Here’s a nugget (http://www.economist.com/news/international/21645759-boys-are-being-outclassed-girls-both-school-and-university-and-gap) from The Economist on the OECD findings:

Perhaps because they can be so insufferable, teenage boys are often marked down. The OECD found that boys did much better in its anonymised tests than in teacher assessments. The gap with girls in reading was a third smaller, and the gap in maths—where boys were already ahead—opened up further. In another finding that suggests a lack of even-handedness among teachers, boys are more likely than girls to be forced to repeat a year, even when they are of equal ability.

What is behind this discrimination? One possibility is that teachers mark up students who are polite, eager and stay out of fights, all attributes that are more common among girls.

There are, of course, other factors. The Economist notes that boys see “doing well in school” as uncool, and read for pleasure less often than girls do. But this too is a failure of the modern educational system, in that it ought to engage and challenge boys as well as it does girls. Instead, the current system prioritizes traits that girls are more likely to exhibit than boys are. It’s no wonder that parents are losing faith in the school system. In America, the rise of homeschooling across different racial (http://www.the-american-interest.com/2015/02/05/homeschooling-sweeps-silicon-valley/) and cultural (http://www.the-american-interest.com/2015/02/24/the-many-reasons-to-homeschool/) groups suggests parents are casting a vote of no-confidence in the system’s ability to serve children well—and, perhaps, boys especially (see a recent Vox (http://www.vox.com/2015/3/5/8149077/homeschool-teaching) article on homeschooling). Homeschooling could allow, for example, parents to integrate more vocational work or physical activity into primary education. Boys need an educational system that engages them, and creating that will require thinking outside the blue box.

tailfins
03-09-2015, 12:31 PM
My sons make good grades, but practice non-fraternization at school. They are cold and professional at school. Then females wonder why guys won't associate with them. When they want to start meeting girls, I'm guessing they will start hanging out in the Latino parts of town. My oldest thinks that Asians are less of a headache to socialize with.

gabosaurus
03-09-2015, 04:22 PM
My sons make good grades, but practice non-fraternization at school. They are cold and professional at school. Then females wonder why guys won't associate with them. When they want to start meeting girls, I'm guessing they will start hanging out in the Latino parts of town. My oldest thinks that Asians are less of a headache to socialize with.

Your kids are digging their own social graves with the "non-fraternization" thing. Part of a kid's school education is learning how to interact with his/her peers. When kids start avoiding other kids, that is when bullying starts to take root. Your kids will be seen as "strange" and "different."
I am wondering why you divide kids into differing racial and social classes. The trend among younger kids now is to see others just as "kids." My daughter, for example, does not see classmates as black, Latino, Muslim, Christian or anything else. She holds everyone in the same regard. Except bullies, who are scorned.

Boys do struggle more in the current school environment. Particularly Latino boys. This is because inappropriate behavior is no longer being accepted as merely "boys being boys." Bullying and sexual harassment is being dealt with much more severely than in the past.
When I was in middle and high school, it was more acceptable for boys to pick on each other, to act up or show off in class and to mess with girls. Physically and otherwise. Girls were quieter because they were expected to be.

The fault is more often among parents than kids. Fathers still want their sons to "grow up and learn to be a man." If there is a lot of rough housing and sexual innuendo at home, that behavior makes its way to school. Where it is no longer tolerated.
I talk to more girls than boys, but they boys I do talk with admit to a social/peer pressure to conform to acceptable "male standards." They don't want to be seen as "gay" or "pussy." It is tough for them to adjust.