PDA

View Full Version : Bush Facing GOP Mutiny Over Immigration

Pale Rider
06-28-2007, 09:11 AM
Bush Facing GOP Mutiny Over Immigration

By: Patrick O'Connor
Jun 28, 2007 06:07 AM EST

The bitter fight over a comprehensive immigration overhaul has pushed President Bush and his fellow Republicans to the brink of divorce -- and, for the first time, the opportunities for reconciliation appear severely limited.

House leaders played down the friction Wednesday, but Republicans have predicted a showdown with the White House over immigration since Democrats took control of Congress last fall. And that longstanding tension spilled out Tuesday when GOP lawmakers voted overwhelmingly to reject the Senate -- and, by turns, the White House -- immigration overhaul.

This immigration fight marks yet another low ebb for the White House, and the path forward looks rocky, as GOP support for the war in Iraq teeters.

The president needs Republican support to maintain troop levels in Iraq, and the calls this week by a pair of GOP senators -- Dick Lugar of Indiana and George Voinovich of Ohio -- to reduce U.S. troop levels in Iraq have spurred concerns that moderate Republicans will publicize their opposition to the war before Army Gen. David Petraeus reports to Congress in September on the progress of the president's troop surge.

The administration is also struggling to renew No Child Left Behind, the signature education initiative of Bush's first term that passed despite concerns from numerous conservative Republicans.

Those concerns have been amplified in the intervening years, with House Minority Whip Roy Blunt (Mo.) and other leaders vocally opposing the law as it was initially written.

Republicans suggest many members have been waiting all year to pounce on an immigration overhaul and the reauthorization of his signature education program.

"We've all been aware of the president's priorities" since the beginning of the year, said Republican Conference Chairman Adam Putnam of Florida.

Republicans theatrically opposed the Senate's comprehensive immigration overhaul last summer. But the vitriol spiked again Tuesday during two closed-door sessions in which House Republicans considered a symbolic resolution opposing the Senate bill.

"This is our magic carpet ride," one lawmaker proclaimed to the applause of his colleagues, according to a member present.

Rep. Pete Hoekstra of Michigan said he and a group of fellow Republicans decided to move forward with their resolution rejecting the Senate bill after Bush berated opponents who called the legislation "amnesty."

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0607/4700.html

Pale Rider
06-28-2007, 11:44 AM
Well... I've been listening to El' Rushbo, and it appears the bill is dead.

Oh heavenly day... I think I'll have a drink. :clap:

Yurt
06-28-2007, 08:14 PM
I still cannot figure out why Bush backed this so intensely.

06-28-2007, 08:55 PM
I still cannot figure out why Bush backed this so intensely.

he actually believes in it.

nevadamedic
06-28-2007, 09:00 PM
Bush Facing GOP Mutiny Over Immigration

By: Patrick O'Connor
Jun 28, 2007 06:07 AM EST

The bitter fight over a comprehensive immigration overhaul has pushed President Bush and his fellow Republicans to the brink of divorce -- and, for the first time, the opportunities for reconciliation appear severely limited.

House leaders played down the friction Wednesday, but Republicans have predicted a showdown with the White House over immigration since Democrats took control of Congress last fall. And that longstanding tension spilled out Tuesday when GOP lawmakers voted overwhelmingly to reject the Senate -- and, by turns, the White House -- immigration overhaul.

This immigration fight marks yet another low ebb for the White House, and the path forward looks rocky, as GOP support for the war in Iraq teeters.

The president needs Republican support to maintain troop levels in Iraq, and the calls this week by a pair of GOP senators -- Dick Lugar of Indiana and George Voinovich of Ohio -- to reduce U.S. troop levels in Iraq have spurred concerns that moderate Republicans will publicize their opposition to the war before Army Gen. David Petraeus reports to Congress in September on the progress of the president's troop surge.

The administration is also struggling to renew No Child Left Behind, the signature education initiative of Bush's first term that passed despite concerns from numerous conservative Republicans.

Those concerns have been amplified in the intervening years, with House Minority Whip Roy Blunt (Mo.) and other leaders vocally opposing the law as it was initially written.

Republicans suggest many members have been waiting all year to pounce on an immigration overhaul and the reauthorization of his signature education program.

"We've all been aware of the president's priorities" since the beginning of the year, said Republican Conference Chairman Adam Putnam of Florida.

Republicans theatrically opposed the Senate's comprehensive immigration overhaul last summer. But the vitriol spiked again Tuesday during two closed-door sessions in which House Republicans considered a symbolic resolution opposing the Senate bill.

"This is our magic carpet ride," one lawmaker proclaimed to the applause of his colleagues, according to a member present.

Rep. Pete Hoekstra of Michigan said he and a group of fellow Republicans decided to move forward with their resolution rejecting the Senate bill after Bush berated opponents who called the legislation "amnesty."

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0607/4700.html

I was thinking if Tancredo doesn't become President or Vice President, when we take the house back in 2008 we need to figure out a way to get him voted to be Speaker of the House. I'd also love to see Senator Ensign as Majority Leader of the Senate. He really has listened to the people of Nevada and America and have done what they wanted not what would benefit him like Senator Reid. :clap: Senator Ensign :clap:

nevadamedic
06-28-2007, 09:01 PM
I would like to see a list of who voted against it if someone can post it. I think we should all write the Senator's who voted no and thank them. :cheers2:

06-28-2007, 09:02 PM
I was thinking if Tancredo doesn't become President or Vice President, when we take the house back in 2008 we need to figure out a way to get him voted to be Speaker of the House. I'd also love to see Senator Ensign as Majority Leader of the Senate. He really has listened to the people of Nevada and America and have done what they wanted not what would benefit him like Senator Reid. :clap: Senator Ensign :clap:

i was under the impression that he wasnt running in the house again and that he was focusing on the Presidency or nothing... but that could be Duncan Hunter.

nevadamedic
06-28-2007, 09:12 PM
i was under the impression that he wasnt running in the house again and that he was focusing on the Presidency or nothing... but that could be Duncan Hunter.

According to the guy I talked to on his campaign staff he plans on running again if he doesn't win the nomination, or who knows, maybe he will run for Senator?

06-28-2007, 09:13 PM
According to the guy I talked to on his campaign staff he plans on running again if he doesn't win the nomination, or who knows, maybe he will run for Senator?

It was probably Hunter i heard say that. i couldnt remember.

nevadamedic
06-28-2007, 09:17 PM
BISBEE, Ariz. — Besieged by illegal immigrants who jam its emergency room, then disappear without paying , tiny Copper Queen Community Hospital is growing desperate.

The 13-bed private facility lost $800,000 caring for migrants last year and $500,000 the year before. At this rate, hospital administrator Jim Dickson predicts he’ll shut down in three years, leaving the town of Bisbee without a hospital.

“The more business I do, the more money I lose,” he said.

It’s the same story at other border hospitals struggling to cope with record numbers of illegal immigrants sweeping through Arizona.

Carondelet Holy Cross Hospital in Nogales lost $500,000 last year. Tucson Medical Center closed its trauma center because of uncompensated care. And University Medical Center in Tucson loses close to $1 million a month in unpaid care.

The century-old Copper Queen sits astride the “Naco corridor,” the busiest gateway for illegal immigrants in the nation. Border agents have made 154,000 arrests here this year.

Full Story...........
http://www.santafenewmexican.com/news/980.html

A prime example how they are killing our economy.

nevadamedic
06-28-2007, 09:20 PM
Tancredo has a ton of good articles here showing how illegal immigrants are killing our economy, healthcare breaking the law and destroying education. This shows that they are doing more damage then I thought.

Pale Rider
07-01-2007, 12:34 AM
BISBEE, Ariz. — Besieged by illegal immigrants who jam its emergency room, then disappear without paying , tiny Copper Queen Community Hospital is growing desperate.

The 13-bed private facility lost $800,000 caring for migrants last year and $500,000 the year before. At this rate, hospital administrator Jim Dickson predicts he’ll shut down in three years, leaving the town of Bisbee without a hospital.

“The more business I do, the more money I lose,” he said.

It’s the same story at other border hospitals struggling to cope with record numbers of illegal immigrants sweeping through Arizona.

Carondelet Holy Cross Hospital in Nogales lost $500,000 last year. Tucson Medical Center closed its trauma center because of uncompensated care. And University Medical Center in Tucson loses close to $1 million a month in unpaid care.

The century-old Copper Queen sits astride the “Naco corridor,” the busiest gateway for illegal immigrants in the nation. Border agents have made 154,000 arrests here this year.

Full Story...........
http://www.santafenewmexican.com/news/980.html

A prime example how they are killing our economy.

What's this? Illegal aliens milking the system and taking advantage of the generosity of America, and then just taking off and shitting on them? And here I thought we couldn't do without the illegals. Yeah right.

Hugh Lincoln
07-01-2007, 02:40 PM
Here's Instapundit on the GOP and immigration:

http://blog.vdare.com/archives/2007/06/26/rip-gop/

Kathianne
07-01-2007, 03:17 PM
Here's Instapundit on the GOP and immigration:

http://blog.vdare.com/archives/2007/06/26/rip-gop/

funny there are no links, either way.

Hugh Lincoln
07-01-2007, 10:09 PM
The VDare link should work. The Instapundit link isn't there, just a quote... Glenn doesn't have a search function of his own, so I can't go right there without some work...