PDA

View Full Version : Illegal alien amnesty bill DEFEATED in Senate, 46-53

Little-Acorn
06-28-2007, 11:51 AM
http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/immigration-bill-goes-down-in-defeat-2007-06-28.html

46-53, immigration bill goes down in defeat

by Klaus Marre
June 28, 2007

The comprehensive immigration reform bill that has dodged attacks from the left and right for weeks, survived “poison pill” amendments, and was once pulled from the Senate schedule failed its most important test Thursday. Passage of the legislation now appears unlikely.

The bipartisan coalition that had shepherded the measure through so many obstacles failed to get the 60 votes necessary to end debate. The final vote was 46-53.

Until Thursday morning, it was unclear whether the bill would survive the cloture vote. But in the end, opponents of the measure from both sides of the political spectrum gained enough support to derail the legislation. Liberals felt it did not go far enough in protecting illegal immigrants, while conservatives rejected the bill because they felt it would grant amnesty to the estimated 12 million illegal immigrants in the country.

Republican foes of the measure argued that the American public was broadly united in opposition to the bill and had made its views known by flooding Congress with phone calls and e-mails.

“What part of ‘no’ don’t we understand?,” asked Sen. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.), who said the immigration fight had “reengaged the American people.”

But Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), one of the key members of the coalition that crafted the bill, warned his Republican colleagues ahead of the vote.

“Remember this day if you vote ‘no,’” Graham said, adding that this bill would not come back in its current form and it is “as good as it gets.” [Emphasis mine. Nice to see Graham finally get something right - LA]

President Bush has taken a hands-on approach to the legislation, which he views as an important part of his domestic legacy. Leading up to the vote, called senators to urge them to support the bill.

PARTY TIME!!!

http://www.specklebellys.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_DSC00732.JPG

Pale Rider
06-28-2007, 12:02 PM
Now let's close the border. Now that the shamnesty is dead, we HAVE to close the border. That will give us the time needed to hash over what to do with the illegals that are here.

Some say deport all of them. Some say we can't do that. OK then, let's deport HALF of them. Isn't that compromise?

OCA
06-28-2007, 02:14 PM
I guess status quo is the plan....cool.

Little-Acorn
06-28-2007, 02:38 PM
I guess status quo is the plan....cool.

Enforcing the laws we already have would be a much better plan. But why do I get the feeling it ain't gonna happen?

OCA
06-28-2007, 02:47 PM
Enforcing the laws we already have would be a much better plan. But why do I get the feeling it ain't gonna happen?

What laws would those be? The ones already on the books haven't worked so well enforced or not enforced.

Well some people in Congress attempted to deal with the problem, some people enjoyed the status quo because it gives them something to jaw about.....the status quo jawers won. Cool.

theHawk
06-28-2007, 02:52 PM
Its time the border states take matters into their own hands.

OCA
06-28-2007, 02:53 PM

Hawk you talking succession?

Little-Acorn
06-28-2007, 03:23 PM
What laws would those be? The ones already on the books haven't worked so well enforced or not enforced.
That's very perceptive of you: Laws that aren't enforced, usually don't have much effect. Check.

What I'm suggesting, is something that hasn't been tried before: Rigorously enforce the laws we already have. For example:

1.) Foreigners can't come in unless they have a visa.

Presently, lots of foreigners (read: millions) have been walking across our southern border. Here's an idea: Let's fence it off, like India has been doing, and get enough Border Patrol people to patrol it and turn back those who try to go under, over, or through it.

2.) Foreigners in this country, can't stay unless they have a visa, green card, etc.

Presently, those same millions are doing just that, plus more who came in on a visa and then stayed after it expired. We can't just walk up to everyone on the street and demand (Russian accent) "Your papers, please!". So let's just concentrate on those who come to the attention of law enforcement for other things (speeding ticket, B&E, applying for job without proof of citizenship or qualification to work in the US, etc.), and check the immigration status of each. Those we find who are here illegally, deport them.

3.) You can't knowingly hire an illegal alien in this country.

Lots of companies are violating this law, too. I suggest jail time for the hiring agents AND THE CEO of companies found in violation. Short sentences for a first offense, longer sentences for subsequent offenses. Let's see how many winks and nods get passed among hiring agents after they and a few CEOs spend some time in the slammer. And how many illegals try to get across the border, or remain in this country, after their job supply dries up.

This would be very different from the "status quo", which is to let millions of violaters slide. And I think it would solve quite a lot of the problem.

And an added benny: It would cost a lot less money that the so-called "Immigration Reform Bill" that just died in the Senate. If we had enough to do what those pro-amnesty Senators wanted, we certainly have enough to do what I described above, instead.

Pale Rider
06-28-2007, 04:07 PM

I wish.

glockmail
06-28-2007, 06:19 PM

If I was Gov of a border state I'd divert all the fed funding that I got and use that cash to build the damn fence. I'd also round up all the illegals in my state and put them in camps to build it for us. This would not be forced labor- they can move south anytime that they wish. Or they can work their asses off and make 1/2 minimum wage, tax free. Then I'd sue the Feds for not enforcing the US border, and I'd have every conservative talk show host supporting me, a long with a good chunk of the population, calling in to their congressman like they did about this bill.

That would rattle their chains.

Why don't conservative governors have the same passion with this issue as liberal mayors or judges have about queer marriage?

OCA
06-28-2007, 08:49 PM
That's very perceptive of you: Laws that aren't enforced, usually don't have much effect. Check.

What I'm suggesting, is something that hasn't been tried before: Rigorously enforce the laws we already have. For example:

1.) Foreigners can't come in unless they have a visa.

Presently, lots of foreigners (read: millions) have been walking across our southern border. Here's an idea: Let's fence it off, like India has been doing, and get enough Border Patrol people to patrol it and turn back those who try to go under, over, or through it.

2.) Foreigners in this country, can't stay unless they have a visa, green card, etc.

Presently, those same millions are doing just that, plus more who came in on a visa and then stayed after it expired. We can't just walk up to everyone on the street and demand (Russian accent) "Your papers, please!". So let's just concentrate on those who come to the attention of law enforcement for other things (speeding ticket, B&E, applying for job without proof of citizenship or qualification to work in the US, etc.), and check the immigration status of each. Those we find who are here illegally, deport them.

3.) You can't knowingly hire an illegal alien in this country.

Lots of companies are violating this law, too. I suggest jail time for the hiring agents AND THE CEO of companies found in violation. Short sentences for a first offense, longer sentences for subsequent offenses. Let's see how many winks and nods get passed among hiring agents after they and a few CEOs spend some time in the slammer. And how many illegals try to get across the border, or remain in this country, after their job supply dries up.

This would be very different from the "status quo", which is to let millions of violaters slide. And I think it would solve quite a lot of the problem.

And an added benny: It would cost a lot less money that the so-called "Immigration Reform Bill" that just died in the Senate. If we had enough to do what those pro-amnesty Senators wanted, we certainly have enough to do what I described above, instead.

All good points except for the fact that the American requires, like it or not, the cheap labor that these people provide. Lose them and the whole house of cards comes crumbling down..........thats a fact.

Little-Acorn
06-28-2007, 09:08 PM
Lose them and the whole house of cards comes crumbling down..........thats a fact.

Do you use the words "that's a fact" to point out things you wish were true but cannot find any evidence to support? This seems to qualify. Perhaps instead of using the word "fact", you could try "wishful thinking".

Where to you get the silly notion that "the whole house of cards comes crumbling down" when we have to pay $.75 instead of $.50 for a tomato?