PDA

View Full Version : Don't just "thank" people for their posts... reply to them!

Little-Acorn
03-24-2015, 11:49 AM
This is a discussion board, not a popularity contest or empty-headed facebook page.

aboutime
03-24-2015, 01:15 PM
This is a discussion board, not a popularity contest or empty-headed facebook page.

Little-Acorn. I agree with you. However, based on my experiences here. It has become useless to discuss anything with many members who often pretend to Ignore my posts. That, to me is the same as ignoring being presented with the truth. They refuse to accept, or hear it.

Bilgerat
03-24-2015, 01:32 PM

I don't respond to all threads, simply because by the time I get to them they seem to be either "chewed over" or are way too out there (in my opinion)

And sometimes I'll post a political cartoon or "meme" that seems to fit (again in my opinion)

But that's me :salute:

Little-Acorn
03-24-2015, 01:37 PM
Little-Acorn. I agree with you. However, based on my experiences here. It has become useless to discuss anything with many members who often pretend to Ignore my posts. That, to me is the same as ignoring being presented with the truth. They refuse to accept, or hear it.

That's a reason to not comment in the first place?

Sounds like the liberal liars have you just where they want you.

Personally, when that situation comes up, I use it to point out what they are doing, and how cowardly and/or disingenuous they are being.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?36397-Mass-shooting-at-Sikh-temple-in-Wisconsin&p=571067#post571067

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?9264-Man-Takes-Hostages-in-NH-Clinton-Office&p=162052#post162052

...and there are many others.

Try it, you'll like it.

The liberals might not like it, but that's not your problem.

aboutime
03-24-2015, 02:00 PM
That's a reason to not comment in the first place?

Sounds like the liberal liars have you just where they want you.

Personally, when that situation comes up, I use it to point out what they are doing, and how cowardly and/or disingenuous they are being.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?36397-Mass-shooting-at-Sikh-temple-in-Wisconsin&p=571067#post571067

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?9264-Man-Takes-Hostages-in-NH-Clinton-Office&p=162052#post162052

...and there are many others.

Try it, you'll like it.

The liberals might not like it, but that's not your problem.

Honestly Little-Acorn. I decided long ago to NEVER lower myself to their miserable, ignorant standards.
I know from experience; nothing I say here will be accepted, nor will they bother to admit when the truth
exposes them for the liars they really are.
That's what makes it more fun NOT to discuss certain things with them. I let them be the final FOOL.

If anyone needs to see proof of this. Just watch the LACK of responses to this thread to my words.

tailfins
03-24-2015, 02:21 PM

Here's a truth-filled post for you.

If you shoot a terrorist in the brain they will likely die. Most of them speak Arabic and have dark hair and olive skin. They live in a part of the world known as the Middle East. The sky is blue and clouds are white.

aboutime
03-24-2015, 02:31 PM
Here's a truth-filled post for you.

If you shoot a terrorist in the brain they will likely die. Most of them speak Arabic and have dark hair and olive skin. They live in a part of the world known as the Middle East. The sky is blue and clouds are white.

Thanks for proving how immature, and really foolish you are.

indago
03-24-2015, 02:34 PM

Reminds me of the time Larry King was being interviewed about his career as a talk show host and he was reminiscing about his first job on talk radio. He entered the room where he was there by himself and sat before the microphone and put on the earphones and waited for the signal from the control room to begin. He watched the director with his arm up, and then the arm came down and the finger pointed at him...

And he just sat there. He couldn't think of anything to say. He just sat there. A few minutes went by and finally some music came into the earphones as he was cut off and there began an advertisement. Then the door of the room flew open and an outraged station manager shouted at him:

THIS IS TALK RADIO

He was jarred out of his stupor, and when the director signaled for him to begin, he had enough nerve then to begin with a dialogue.

Jeff
03-24-2015, 03:06 PM

Honestly LA a lot of times I don't respond because the person posted has put my feeling in print already, so it would be a slap on the back to respond, it wouldn't be adding anything. But yes I have seen examples of what you speak of and agree, and as you know right or wrong if my opinion is different I do respond ( and at times shown where I am wrong ) but hey so be it.

Little-Acorn
03-24-2015, 03:25 PM
Honestly Little-Acorn. I decided long ago to NEVER lower myself to their miserable, ignorant standards.
So did I.

Which is why I use my posts to point out to everybody else, how disingenuous and cowardly they are being, and why.

I know from experience; nothing I say here will be accepted, nor will they bother to admit when the truth
exposes them for the liars they really are.
If your goal is to get them to change their minds, then of course you are never going to succeed. But why cast pearls to swine?

Post instead, to everyone else. Tell them how mendacious, vicious, and/or cowardly the liberals are.

It lets you express and explain your viewpoint. And it's a lot more fun. :D

tailfins
03-24-2015, 03:36 PM
Thanks for proving how immature, and really foolish you are.

Just illustrating how inane and simple-minded your posts often are. People can either beat their chests or pursue a competent strategy to beat Islamic extremists. Even if one concludes all of Islam is violent, a competent, relevant approach is needed. Anecdotal accounts are a sign of trying to exaggerate the severity of a problem; it just looks bad. The left often does this to push their pet programs. You look incompetent.

jimnyc
03-24-2015, 05:01 PM

First off, all you fuckers ruined it. Would have been funny of everyone thanked LA but gave no responses. But now that you all have ruined that, I guess I have to reply. :poke:

For me it all depends. I try to reply as time permits of course, and reply to what most interests me first. There are some things that are above my pay grade though. So I act like I didn't read the thread and silently disappear, so others don't realize how dumb I am. :)

revelarts
03-24-2015, 05:09 PM
Honestly LA a lot of times I don't respond because the person posted has put my feeling in print already, so it would be a slap on the back to respond, it wouldn't be adding anything. But yes I have seen examples of what you speak of and agree, and as you know right or wrong if my opinion is different I do respond ( and at times shown where I am wrong ) but hey so be it.

what Jeff said above, except more words to say it.

aboutime
03-24-2015, 05:17 PM
Just illustrating how inane and simple-minded your posts often are. People can either beat their chests or pursue a competent strategy to beat Islamic extremists. Even if one concludes all of Islam is violent, a competent, relevant approach is needed. Anecdotal accounts are a sign of trying to exaggerate the severity of a problem; it just looks bad. The left often does this to push their pet programs. You look incompetent.

You set the example for incompetence. So, that's my response. Whether you like it or not.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
03-24-2015, 05:51 PM

I reply as time permits. I have extra family duties now caring for my very ill mother. And helping my older brother with his serious illness..
Of course quite often I agree wholeheartedly with the post so why just repeat what the first dude said.
If I can add to it or point out something missed I usually do.
And I get castigated for using it to rant against often the subject of the OP or pointing out the culprit is the Obama . Of course we all know who levels that charge every damn time he gets a chance. ;)
I thank you posts often but do not immediately reply because I agree 100% with what you have already presented..
So shoot me.... ;) -Tyr

LongTermGuy
03-24-2015, 07:04 PM
I reply as time permits. I have extra family duties now caring for my very ill mother. And helping my older brother with his serious illness..
Of course quite often I agree wholeheartedly with the post so why just repeat what the first dude said.
If I can add to it or point out something missed I usually do.
And I get castigated for using it to rant against often the subject of the OP or pointing out the culprit is the Obama . Of course we all know who levels that charge every damn time he gets a chance. ;)
I thank you posts often but do not immediately reply because I agree 100% with what you have already presented..
So shoot me.... ;) -Tyr

`Agree....^^^ Totally

were all busy in our daily lives...I too have a mom I have to take "special" care of......along with many other things...a simple thanks is ALWAYS good....*unless its a special add on...or I really want to get someones attention to bring them to the thread....

darin
03-24-2015, 07:12 PM
First off, all you fuckers ruined it. Would have been funny of everyone thanked LA but gave no responses. But now that you all have ruined that, I guess I have to reply. :poke:

For me it all depends. I try to reply as time permits of course, and reply to what most interests me first. There are some things that are above my pay grade though. So I act like I didn't read the thread and silently disappear, so others don't realize how dumb I am. :)

I tell ya man, I had SUCH Hope when I'd seen only a few 'thanks' given. (sigh).

I reply when I'm interested in a topic; when it's not a cut-and-paste from drudge; when the OP presents the topic with original thoughts/opinions; when the OP at least allows for the opportunity for discussion - rather than "If you don't agree you're a communist!!" or another popular logical fallacy.

:)

Sometimes folks post what are tantamount to click-baits - a provocative headline used to get folks to view their thread.

LongTermGuy
03-24-2015, 07:25 PM
I tell ya man, I had SUCH Hope when I'd seen only a few 'thanks' given. (sigh).

I reply when I'm interested in a topic; when it's not a cut-and-paste from drudge; when the OP presents the topic with original thoughts/opinions; when the OP at least allows for the opportunity for discussion - rather than "If you don't agree you're a communist!!" or another popular logical fallacy.

Sometimes folks post what are tantamount to click-baits - a provocative headline used to get folks to view their thread.

***Since you mentioned it above....You forgot

~"If you don't agree your a Fox News watching Bible thumping fool" ~

At least Folks stay here and post....*It would be dull if no one posted....

.......*because of ridicule....and all we would have left is the thread hijacking /derailing trolls

Everybody here is different....no one is perfect....when it comes to `how` they post....when searching for interesting stories...at least they post and hopefully often...

PixieStix
03-24-2015, 08:08 PM

LongTermGuy
03-24-2015, 08:16 PM

....Thanks for being you...:thumb:

PixieStix
03-24-2015, 08:19 PM
....Thanks for being you...:thumb:

Is there someone else I can be?....Please..... :coffee:

Jeff
03-25-2015, 05:43 AM
Is there someone else I can be?....Please..... :coffee:

OOO man did you open a can of worms :laugh:

gabosaurus
03-25-2015, 08:24 AM
However, based on my experiences here. It has become useless to discuss anything with many members who often pretend to Ignore my posts.

Many of us ignore you for good reason.
Feel free not to discuss this. Or anything else. :cool:

tailfins
03-25-2015, 09:02 AM
http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/debate_policy/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by aboutime http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/debate_policy/buttons/viewpost-right.png
(http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?p=728012#post728012)However, based on my experiences here. It has become useless to discuss anything with many members who often pretend to Ignore my posts.

Also, it has nothing to do with point of view and everything to do with simple-mindedness. A parrott is entertaining for only so long.

fj1200
03-25-2015, 10:30 AM

I must object to your premise. But for 'debate' being part of the board name it's really now, with limited exception, a facile "facebook" arrangement.

gabosaurus
03-25-2015, 03:19 PM
I have found that there is little actual "debate on this board. "Debating" implies the existence of opposing points of views. Too many DP members refuse to recognize ideas other than their own for there to be actual "debate." And no one is going to admit that their viewpoint is wrong.

Abbey Marie
03-26-2015, 01:03 PM
I like the 'thanks' system. It allows us lazy folks to show support without taking the time to actually type words. :cool:

Also, nothing bores me more on a message board than people quoting some long OP, just to state they agree in so many words. And if one agrees enough to thank a post, that's
pretty much what any post they take time to make, will say. I'll take the thanks over that any day.

To Gabby's point, the lack of liberal pov on this board is probably what causes some of us to split hairs and turn on each other. Unfortunately, many here can't see what a valuable asset you are to the board.

Little-Acorn
03-26-2015, 01:19 PM
To Gabby's point, the lack of liberal pov on this board is probably what causes

Except that gabby's point is wrong.

"Debate" doesn't imply the existence of an opposing point of view.

"Debate" implies discussion of an opposing point of view.

Which is something we rarely see from the board leftists. And never see from her.

Please, don't just "thank" posts.

Reply to them.

aboutime
03-26-2015, 01:27 PM
Also, it has nothing to do with point of view and everything to do with simple-mindedness. A parrott is entertaining for only so long.

tailfins needs a CRACKER!:laugh:

Drummond
03-26-2015, 03:07 PM

That would be ... the Lefties who prefer not to stray out of their own worlds .. ?

Some ignore everything that fails to fit their propaganda.

Some just troll.

Some cut and run when the going gets hot.

Abbey Marie
03-26-2015, 06:52 PM
Except that gabby's point is wrong.

"Debate" doesn't imply the existence of an opposing point of view.

"Debate" implies discussion of an opposing point of view.

Which is something we rarely see from the board leftists. And never see from her.

Please, don't just "thank" posts.

Reply to them.

There's that hair-splitting again.

And it rankles to be told how to act on the board. Just sayin'.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
03-26-2015, 07:09 PM
There's that hair-splitting again.

And it rankles to be told how to act on the board. Just sayin'.

And--THANKS!!!!!!! ;)--TYR