PDA

View Full Version : Back from Jersey

jimnyc
03-29-2015, 09:18 AM
Went for a couple nights to help my brother move to a new pad. I hate moving, and therefore of course hate helping others. :) Wasn't bad though and got to see him and my sister for a bit. It was kinda sad in a way, as I drove around my old hangouts, high school, friends houses, parks and even to the house I grew up in. It was reminiscing, but that stuff sometimes makes me sad, don't know why. Funny in a way, SO many things have changed, but my old house almost looks the same. Bastards who bought it were probably too cheap to make any changes.

My sis got me an awesome deal this time and I stayed at the Renaissance hotel which was awesome! And then the 2nd night, they upgraded me to the "governors suite" which was even better, a living room, 2 TV's and a tub that could fit 5. They had some damn good looking food on the room service menu, but F that, stuff was too damn expensive. and KFC was like a 30 second walk from the front door. :) Now I have a bellyache from so much chicken.

Kathianne
03-29-2015, 09:21 AM
Sounds like fun! My childhood home was demolished to make room for a McMansion. :(

jimnyc
03-29-2015, 09:27 AM
Sounds like fun! My childhood home was demolished to make room for a McMansion. :(

I was tempted to stop and take a few pictures but was afraid I would have been labeled a stalker and arrested. :) I really wanted to take pics all over, but I was driving and I suck at pictures. The only pic I have of the home was from when my Dad first moved there, which I have no idea when that was. Maybe back in the early 60's? Jeff will know. I know it's old as it has an old car in the driveway that looks like from the 50's.

LongTermGuy
03-29-2015, 09:42 AM
~ "It was kinda sad in a way, as I drove around my old hangouts, high school, friends houses, parks and even to the house I grew up in. It was reminiscing, but that stuff sometimes makes me sad, don't know why. Funny in a way, SO many things have changed" ~

Oh so true Jim......The older we get the sadder many things `seem` to be....Dont know if its wisdom and Knowledge ...or just the gradual increase of insanity as we age..... Interesting how time seems to move so much faster as we age....Thanks for the update....and welcome back.

jimnyc
03-29-2015, 09:51 AM
~ "It was kinda sad in a way, as I drove around my old hangouts, high school, friends houses, parks and even to the house I grew up in. It was reminiscing, but that stuff sometimes makes me sad, don't know why. Funny in a way, SO many things have changed" ~

Oh so true Jim......The older we get the sadder many things `seem` to be....Dont know if its wisdom and Knowledge ...or just the gradual increase of insanity as we age..... Interesting how time seems to move so much faster as we age....Thanks for the update....and welcome back.

I think it's age, being reminded of your youth, and absolute confirmation that things have changed. :(

And thanks!

LongTermGuy
03-29-2015, 10:00 AM
I think it's age, being reminded of your youth, and absolute confirmation that things have changed. :(

And thanks!

`...You know......you are correct...yes that "confirmation" brings the sad reality of present circumstances..(one which is age)... (the other .."if I can do it over again").... many really older people always cry just talking about the past in general...and is understandable...`

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
03-29-2015, 10:35 AM
Went for a couple nights to help my brother move to a new pad. I hate moving, and therefore of course hate helping others. :) Wasn't bad though and got to see him and my sister for a bit. It was kinda sad in a way, as I drove around my old hangouts, high school, friends houses, parks and even to the house I grew up in. It was reminiscing, but that stuff sometimes makes me sad, don't know why. Funny in a way, SO many things have changed, but my old house almost looks the same. Bastards who bought it were probably too cheap to make any changes.

My sis got me an awesome deal this time and I stayed at the Renaissance hotel which was awesome! And then the 2nd night, they upgraded me to the "governors suite" which was even better, a living room, 2 TV's and a tub that could fit 5. They had some damn good looking food on the room service menu, but F that, stuff was too damn expensive. and KFC was like a 30 second walk from the front door. :) Now I have a bellyache from so much chicken.

JIM , YOU CAN NEVER TRULY GO BACK. I tried years ago and it made me sad as hell. Not just the places change BUT THE PEOPLE DO TOO AND MANY DIE.
MY HOMETOWN HAS DIED AND IS IN THE PROCESS OF DRYING UP.
I had wanted to move back there but nothings there except decay and drug addicted people.
Decided hell no--will not subject my son to that crap.--Tyr

gabosaurus
03-29-2015, 11:07 AM
I was eight years old and running with a dime in my hand
Into the bus stop to pick up a paper for my old man
I'd sit on his lap in that big old Buick and steer as we drove through town
He'd tousle my hair and say son take a good look around this is your hometown
This is your hometown
This is your hometown
This is your hometown

In '65 tension was running high at my high school
There was a lot of fights between the black and white
There was nothing you could do
Two cars at a light on a Saturday night in the back seat there was a gun
Words were passed in a shotgun blast
Troubled times had come to my hometown
My hometown
My hometown
My hometown

Now Main Street's whitewashed windows and vacant stores
Seems like there ain't nobody wants to come down here no more
They're closing down the textile mill across the railroad tracks
Foreman says these jobs are going boys and they ain't coming back to your hometown
Your hometown
Your hometown
Your hometown

Last night me and Kate we laid in bed
talking about getting out
Packing up our bags maybe heading south
I'm thirty-five we got a boy of our own now
Last night I sat him up behind the wheel and said son take a good look around
This is your hometown

"My Hometown" by Bruce Springsteen.

jimnyc
03-29-2015, 11:34 AM
^^ Admittedly, and regrettably, I like that song. And kinda know the story from the areas he grew up. Asbury Park used to be an awesome place, and is now a shithole. But anyway, a good catchy tune and does make ya think.

jimnyc
03-29-2015, 11:40 AM
JIM , YOU CAN NEVER TRULY GO BACK. I tried years ago and it made me sad as hell. Not just the places change BUT THE PEOPLE DO TOO AND MANY DIE.
MY HOMETOWN HAS DIED AND IS IN THE PROCESS OF DRYING UP.
I had wanted to move back there but nothings there except decay and drug addicted people.
Decided hell no--will not subject my son to that crap.--Tyr

Depending on how you look at it, it would appear the area where I grew up has improved. It seemed like many more businesses were around and upgrades/changes to others. I'm sure this has created jobs. My HS had a facelift and extension on it. The roads seemed well maintained. It was clean. But it seemed less 'private'. More houses, more cars, more businesses, more traffic.

Another angle from another Jersey boy I just thought of....

I spent 20 years trying to get out of this place
I was looking for something I couldn't replace
I was running away from the only thing I've ever known
Like a blind dog without a bone
I was a gypsy lost in the twilight zone
I hijacked a rainbow and crashed into a pot of gold
I been there, done thatand I ain't lookin' back on the seeds I've sown,
Saving dimes, spending too much time on the telephone
Who says you can't go home

There's only one place they call me one of their own
Just a hometown boy, born a rolling stone, who says you can't go home
Who says you can't go back, been all around the world and as a matter of fact
There's only one place left I want to go, who says you can't go home
It's alright, it's alright, it's alright, it's alright, its alright

I went as far as I could, I tried to find a new face
There isn't one of these lines that I would erase
I lived a million miles of memories on that road
With every step I take I know that I'm not alone
You take the home from the boy, but not the boy from his home
These are my streets, the only life I've ever known,
who says you can't go home

I been there, done thatand I ain't looking that
It's been a long long road
Feels like I never left, that's how the story goes

It doesn't matter where you are, it doesn't matter where you go
If it's a million miles aways or just a mile up the road
Take it in, take it with you when you go,
who says you can't go home

Kathianne
03-29-2015, 12:07 PM
While the home is gone, the friends and hangouts are actually pretty similar to days of yore. When I get together with my oldest friends, we frequent many of the old restaurants, bars, and of course the old movie theater. Down the street from where we lived, my oldest and best friend's parents still are in their home. We still visit, they still call me 'little Kathy.' LOL!

Jeff
03-30-2015, 07:13 AM
I was tempted to stop and take a few pictures but was afraid I would have been labeled a stalker and arrested. :) I really wanted to take pics all over, but I was driving and I suck at pictures. The only pic I have of the home was from when my Dad first moved there, which I have no idea when that was. Maybe back in the early 60's? Jeff will know. I know it's old as it has an old car in the driveway that looks like from the 50's.

They bought the house in the mid 60's , I can remember Dad talking about a friend I had when I was real young when we lived in Elizabeth ( I don't remember it at all ) but I do remember starting school and the summer before starting school at that house so it had to be around that time.

The last time I went by the house it still had the same paint job on it that I painted back before I got married, yes the new owners where very cheap :laugh:

And when I was there and showing the wife ( I parked in the middle of the road ) I had a idiot blow the horn at me to move, so I pulled away but as I did I watched him turn into Frankie's old house, man you should of seen his face when I backed up and got out, and that was before he realized who I was, when he finally realized it was me I think he shit himself. :laugh:

jimnyc
03-30-2015, 05:03 PM
They bought the house in the mid 60's , I can remember Dad talking about a friend I had when I was real young when we lived in Elizabeth ( I don't remember it at all ) but I do remember starting school and the summer before starting school at that house so it had to be around that time.

The last time I went by the house it still had the same paint job on it that I painted back before I got married, yes the new owners where very cheap :laugh:

And when I was there and showing the wife ( I parked in the middle of the road ) I had a idiot blow the horn at me to move, so I pulled away but as I did I watched him turn into Frankie's old house, man you should of seen his face when I backed up and got out, and that was before he realized who I was, when he finally realized it was me I think he shit himself. :laugh:

I think the picture I have is probably from when they just bought it... you tell me.... My scanner sucks and I'm not attempting to fix it, nor replace it, so this is a photo of a photo. And an old one I might add!

http://i.imgur.com/Jp85rkr.jpg

Jeff
03-31-2015, 07:12 AM
That is the earliest picture I remember Jim, hell I know Janeen was born not long after we moved in there so it had to be no latter than mid 60's

Hell I can still remember that car, just barley but I remember Dad had one and the next door neighbor had one very similar, I remember after that car he went to one of those station wagons with the wood panel looking thing on the side ( yup they where the big things back then ) and I can remember back then thinking how wild the new car looked. :laugh:

jimnyc
03-31-2015, 07:40 AM
Too many times climbing out the window of the larger portion of the house, over to the smaller, back to the back roof of the larger, and jumping into the pool. But more so than that, the countless times that eggs and tomatoes were tossed off both sides! I was an evil bastard. That was over 30 years ago, so the rule is you no longer have to regret or be embarrassed about such actions! LOL :lol:

gabosaurus
03-31-2015, 10:30 AM
Too many times climbing out the window of the larger portion of the house, over to the smaller, back to the back roof of the larger, and jumping into the pool. But more so than that, the countless times that eggs and tomatoes were tossed off both sides! I was an evil bastard. That was over 30 years ago, so the rule is you no longer have to regret or be embarrassed about such actions! LOL :lol:

This is all highly amusing. Please continue. :cool:

Jeff
03-31-2015, 01:25 PM

:laugh: Yes i remember those days, but the day y'all hit the hearse ( well actually it wasn't a hearse but a old old Limo that had been used in funerals ) with the Freedom Motorcycle club members in it , where you embarrassed that day :laugh: I heard about that while sitting in the Colonia Inn. They told me someone had thrown snowballs from the backyard of the house, I can remember thinking no they didn't they got y'all from the roof. :laugh: But the guy telling me did say he didn't believe y'all would just be slinging at just anyone anymore, I thought to myself OK then. :laugh: And then it was like a week latter I remember Dad going ballistic cause y'all got the cop car.

gabosaurus
03-31-2015, 02:50 PM
I am hoping Sir Evil makes a rare appearance to tell stories about Jim and Jeff. :p

Jeff
04-01-2015, 05:53 AM
I am hoping Sir Evil makes a rare appearance to tell stories about Jim and Jeff. :p

Gabs Jim and Sir Evil where partners back then, when Jim tells a story SE may have a slightly different version but it would be about the same, they where the neighborhood Hellions :laugh:

jimnyc
04-01-2015, 07:52 AM

Gabs Jim and Sir Evil where partners back then, when Jim tells a story SE may have a slightly different version but it would be about the same, they where the neighborhood Hellions :laugh:

Truth is, I'll get blamed for most, but the adults of the group should have known better and therefore take more responsibility. Snowball throwing time! I was like the MVP of tossing things at cars and people. And why? Because I had little fear, as I was like the fastest kid in the county. I bombed cop cars too. I even bombed my Dad once, that was funny as hell. I feel a 'little' bad looking back on things. Not stuff I would teach my son how to do today, but it was fun! :) And yeah, karma got me. We bombed cars on St. Georges Ave. once and they sent the brigade! I got away and hid for like an hour, but they were waiting and nabbed me when I reappeared. At least they ended up letting me go after holding me in a cell for a tad. I also made a molotov cocktail once and just tossed it in the street on the corner. Are streets were dull and cars wouldn't come but every now and again. But anyway, the cops came. Then I tossed an M-80 down the road by them while they were investigating. That one was easy, just went inside the house since there were like 80 other idiots hanging around outside the house!

Jeff can't comment on much of the hijinx I got into from around age 9 to age 18, as I think that's when Jeff and his friend Louie were too busy drinking!! I remember one 4th of July when we all setup a softball game with the neighbors and friends. Here comes Jeff and Louie mid game, pushing a wheel barrow, because everyone knows that you can't have a family game of softball without an entire keg of beer!! But the best was the day prior to going on a camping trip, and Jeff still underage - and comes home drunk. I was too young, I just remember him getting the crap beat out of him by both Mom and Dad! :laugh2:

Jeff
04-01-2015, 09:24 AM
Truth is, I'll get blamed for most, but the adults of the group should have known better and therefore take more responsibility. Snowball throwing time! I was like the MVP of tossing things at cars and people. And why? Because I had little fear, as I was like the fastest kid in the county. I bombed cop cars too. I even bombed my Dad once, that was funny as hell. I feel a 'little' bad looking back on things. Not stuff I would teach my son how to do today, but it was fun! :) And yeah, karma got me. We bombed cars on St. Georges Ave. once and they sent the brigade! I got away and hid for like an hour, but they were waiting and nabbed me when I reappeared. At least they ended up letting me go after holding me in a cell for a tad. I also made a molotov cocktail once and just tossed it in the street on the corner. Are streets were dull and cars wouldn't come but every now and again. But anyway, the cops came. Then I tossed an M-80 down the road by them while they were investigating. That one was easy, just went inside the house since there were like 80 other idiots hanging around outside the house!

Jeff can't comment on much of the hijinx I got into from around age 9 to age 18, as I think that's when Jeff and his friend Louie were too busy drinking!! I remember one 4th of July when we all setup a softball game with the neighbors and friends. Here comes Jeff and Louie mid game, pushing a wheel barrow, because everyone knows that you can't have a family game of softball without an entire keg of beer!! But the best was the day prior to going on a camping trip, and Jeff still underage - and comes home drunk. I was too young, I just remember him getting the crap beat out of him by both Mom and Dad! :laugh2:

That 4th of July you speak of was the one where the next door neighbor put a cover on his car because we had fireworks, then the guy up the street called the cops because he said a bottle rocket ( some type of fireworks ) put a burn on his car and while Bob and I were talking to the police Butch came along and placed a M 80 through a cigarette and then placed it on the cops windshield as he walked up to us, when it went off it shattered the windshield and Butch looked at the cop and said " I thought fire works where illegal " :laugh: man was that cop POed, but back then there where no windshield cameras. Yes then the famous soft ball game where Louie and I brought our own refreshments :laugh: and the neighbor we were playing owned Just Jesus Book Store :laugh: The best part of that day was late that night Bob myself and of course Louie walked down to the park and shoot the " Big " stuff off, well for some reason we thought it would be fun ( as we looked up Longhill RD ) to place a rocket in the middle of the road and shoot it up the road, as it flew up Longhill when it got to the intersection of our road a cop car pulled out and yup you got it, we nailed the car, when he pulled up cussing and carrying on we couldn't even run we where laughing so hard, thank God that cop had a sense of humor ( I guess ) because he didn't lock us up, we told him we had went down to the park to be safe but the can we where using to launch the rockets had tipped over, not sure if he believed us but after a stern lecture ( after we stopped laughing that is ) he let us go. :laugh:

OO and just for shits and giggles Louie and I killed that Keg that night, Bob refused to drink Bud he drank his Becks but I remember we did empty a quarter keg that 4th, the good ol days. :laugh:

As for the day I got caught drinking ( the first time ) I was 13 and we where leaving for vacation the next morning, I remember dad asked me and Wayne to load the dirt bike onto the back of the trailer and we where so drunk we couldn't do it and just kept laughing, so Dad put it on the racks but told me to throw the helmet in the back of the truck, which I did, but when I fell off the bumper I guess they figured it out :laugh: I remember they told Wayne to go home and yep I remember that butt whoopin real well, heck I had a cut on my face that worked out well in Florida, I was telling the girls stories on how I got it. :laugh:

Man to be young again. :laugh:

Sir Evil
04-01-2015, 07:22 PM

Hmm, Jim and Jeff went up the hill...... damn, forgot the rest of that one! :)

Sir Evil
04-01-2015, 07:24 PM
Went for a couple nights to help my brother move to a new pad. I hate moving, and therefore of course hate helping others. :)

that was certainly evident but appreciated the whole 10 minutes you pust aside to help out! :laugh2:

gabosaurus
04-01-2015, 08:11 PM
Wow, I bet St. Peter got an earful from your mom when they met.
If so, you guys will have a LOT of explaining to do when your time comes. :dev3:

Jeff
04-02-2015, 06:38 AM
If so, you guys will have a LOT of explaining to do when your time comes. :dev3:

Now that is funny, Mom always said she would get the last word. :laugh:

Jeff
04-02-2015, 06:39 AM
that was certainly evident but appreciated the whole 10 minutes you pust aside to help out! :laugh2:

A big help huh SE ? :laugh:

Kind of like that nice enjoyable passenger you take a 16 hour ride with to come down here only to sit in a freezer once here ? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

jimnyc
04-02-2015, 08:38 AM

Why you ungrateful fucker!! I should have reached out the window with a pocket knife and cut the string, watch your mattress go flying down the highway! I guess it wouldn't have mattered, since Jared ended up with them anyway. At least we got the futon down there, and I think some other crap? Whatever didn't make it is 100% on you this time!! :fu:

She was probably demanding to know why she was punished with us so badly! And knowing her, she very well may have told him off and flipped him the bird. :dunno:

Now that is funny, Mom always said she would get the last word. :laugh:

No doubt. I have a feeling that Dad and Laurie are banned from heaven... just sayin!

Kind of like that nice enjoyable passenger you take a 16 hour ride with to come down here only to sit in a freezer once here ? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

His fault, I would have moved everything. Now, I'm not upset that we didn't get a lot done, but I was there!!

And everyone knows my addiction to air conditioning now, so sleeping in the same hotel room and freezing is a given. You fuckers are welcome to get your own room and be nice and warm. :poke: Besides, especially in the summer, it's hotter than hell down by you guys!! I seriously think I was on the verge of death when we went fishing!! :laugh:

Sir Evil
04-02-2015, 06:36 PM

Funny, we just talked about vacation for this year and resigned myself to the fact that we should just do it in December so this way we can cruise down the highway with the windows open and come celebrate the holidays in the south where I can be colder than it would be in the north! :laugh2:

Sir Evil
04-02-2015, 06:38 PM
Why you ungrateful fucker!! I should have reached out the window with a pocket knife and cut the string, watch your mattress go flying down the highway! I guess it wouldn't have mattered, since Jared ended up with them anyway. At least we got the futon down there, and I think some other crap? Whatever didn't make it is 100% on you this time!! :fu:

Nah, just kiddin' James. Always appreciate ya.... except on vacations! :laugh:

Jeff
04-03-2015, 07:07 AM
Nah, just kiddin' James. Always appreciate ya.... except on vacations! :laugh:

I got to say, I Love when y'all make it down, it's always a lot of fun, I am hoping to make a road trip up that way this summer but look forward to y'all coming down as well, oo and I have a couple of new toys we can play with at the range. :bluegun: