PDA

View Full Version : What decade would you want to go back to and live again if possible?

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
03-29-2015, 10:45 AM
I'd love to be able to relive the early 1960's. Things were simpler and our culture had not yet changed into the stupidity which people revere so much now.
As I remember it the girls were prettier and catching one was a big deal. Yes, even dating was a bigger deal and more enjoyable if one leaves out the sex part, as scoring was almost non-existent back then.
This nation was on its way, space travel, new tech coming and kids could play out in the neighborhood without the fear of being raped, killed , molested or kidnapped..
Hell, we used to leave the house on Saturday morning at 7 am and not show up again until 7pm. Nobody worried and we were just fine as long as we made no trouble for ourselves.-Tyr

WiccanLiberal
03-29-2015, 10:57 AM
Also a child in the sixties. Me more the latter half. Walked to school, outside all day in the fine weather and nothing much to worry about when you were a kid.

gabosaurus
03-29-2015, 11:17 AM
My parents were 60s hippies. My sister once asked my dad's best friend what was good about the 60's. He said "there was birth control and no AIDS." :cool:
The music in the 60s was the best of any era. Life was indeed simpler.
Of course, the 60's did not end in a blaze of glory. There were assassinations, disregard of basic human dignities and liberty and the total screwup that was Vietnam.

My dad prefers the 70s. There was still good music. And young people learned they had a voice and could use it.

jimnyc
03-29-2015, 11:42 AM
I'll stay right where I'm at, thank you very much. Women have worn less and less clothing as time has went by. Also, the medical field has evolved, which in turn has helped my viewing pleasure. :lol: :coffee:

Kathianne
03-29-2015, 12:19 PM
I'd like a redo of the 70's, from ditching most of high school to choice in husband. LOL! There was a lot of fun, but can't say many of my choices were the wisest.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
03-29-2015, 12:39 PM
Also a child in the sixties. Me more the latter half. Walked to school, outside all day in the fine weather and nothing much to worry about when you were a kid.

WELCOME BACK! How is V4R...
YEP, 60'S ALL THE WAY FOR ME EVEN WITH THE 70'S BEING GREAT AS WELL. -tYR

WiccanLiberal
03-29-2015, 01:08 PM
V4R is doing fine, right now envious I made chicken parm for work tomorrow. He shouldn't complain though as I made chili for supper.

Perianne
03-29-2015, 01:19 PM
I'm like Jim. I'll take today.

tailfins
03-29-2015, 01:40 PM
1950s, 1920s or 1870s in that order.

aboutime
03-29-2015, 06:38 PM
This decade, and hopefully, the next. As long as I can watch our grandkids grow up, and I wake UP each morning. RIGHT NOW is just right for me. Been around since the late 40's. Now is the best.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
03-29-2015, 06:50 PM
1950s, 1920s or 1870s in that order.

I considered the 1870's to 1890's--the cowboy era. In fact once chose that at another forum where I started this exact same topic about a decade ago.
I'd damn sure been either a dead hombre or well known gunner had I lived back then.
Still would have chose it over the world of today...
At least back then one could often get away with killing those that truly needed killing....
Not so today as they elect them and praise the bastards to the high heavens, especially the lousy, stinking dem party. -Tyr

gabosaurus
03-29-2015, 07:40 PM
Count on tailfins to prefer eras where women had no rights. :rolleyes:

Your love of the 1800s and early 1900s would depend on what side of the road you lived on. The common laborer worked 12 hours a day, six days a week, for very little return. There were no child labor laws. Women and children worked the same hours, for less pay than men. If you were injured on the job, you were fired. If your job conditions were unsafe, you had no recourse.

Jeff
03-30-2015, 06:59 AM
80's , I would like to go back and see what I missed :laugh:

gabosaurus
03-30-2015, 10:12 AM
80's , I would like to go back and see what I missed :laugh:

"This is a song from way back in the 70's.
Does anyone remember the 70's?
Does anyone still think it's the 70's?"

--song intro from a Foghat live CD.

"Anyone who remembers the 70's either wasn't really there or wasn't fully participating."

--Keith Richards

Drummond
03-30-2015, 01:21 PM

"Anyone who remembers the 70's either wasn't really there or wasn't fully participating."

--Keith Richards

I'm enjoying right now. Some great technological / media advances have been made recently. The Internet, of course. 4K televisions to eventually outdo HDTV (.. although 4K is a stopgap to the 8K standard that'll emerge in the next few years).

But if time-travelling (which I've convinced myself is a practical total impossibility, even IF anyone could invent a means of doing it ... the Universe's perpetual movement makes it so) .. I'd go for the early Sixties, and for a specifically British reason. That period saw a revolution in UK broadcasting, courtesy of pop pirate radio stations which rivalled the stodgy monopoly then enjoyed by a handful of BBC radio channels.

It started with Radio Caroline, I think in 1963, which broadcasted on 199 metres, Medium wave, from a ship. Followed by Radio London, Invicta, and several others, all from other ships. All such stations operated 'legally' simply because they transmitted at sea, just beyond the three mile territorial limit from UK shores.

Years went by before the Government of the day passed a law managing to outlaw those broadcasts. This closed down all but the original Radio Caroline, which vowed to keep on the air. So they did .. migrating to WorldSpace Radio frequencies. With WorldSpace falling out of favour, I believe it became an Internet station.

Still ... all those pirate stations were revolutionary in their way, and VERY popular. The BBC learned a lesson and modernised their transmission standards out of it. From the Light Programme ('light' music), Home Service (news, current affairs, dramas, comedy shows) and Third Programme (classical music), we now have Radio 1, 1 Xtra, 2, 3, 4, 4 Xtra, 5, 5 Live, 5 Sports Extra, 6 .... and now a commercial radio network to rival it. Also a plethora of local stations ...

Noir
03-30-2015, 01:50 PM
Wouldn't put my birthdate back a day, if anything bring it as far forward as possible.

Drummond
03-30-2015, 02:14 PM
Wouldn't put my birthdate back a day, if anything bring it as far forward as possible.

You're only saying that, Noir, because in your part of the UK your people would've been beyond the range of those pop pirate ships !!

Unfortunately for much of the UK, the ships I referred to before tended to congregate around the SE England region ... you'd have needed to live in Essex or near to it (e.g London) to have a prayer of getting their signals on anything like a regular basis. Trust me, Noir, those days were a golden age, for those lucky enough to be in range ...

aboutime
03-30-2015, 02:14 PM

--Keith Richards

Richards is still a brain-dead, un-rollable stone made of insanity, booze, and old trips on LSD.

sundaydriver
04-01-2015, 09:29 AM
Right here, right now! The times are what you make of them.

Noir
04-01-2015, 09:45 AM
You're only saying that, Noir, because in your part of the UK your people would've been beyond the range of those pop pirate ships !! Unfortunately for much of the UK, the ships I referred to before tended to congregate around the SE England region ... you'd have needed to live in Essex or near to it (e.g London) to have a prayer of getting their signals on anything like a regular basis. Trust me, Noir, those days were a golden age, for those lucky enough to be in range ...

I'd take a podcast station over a pirate radio station any day.

Gunny
04-01-2015, 09:46 AM

--Keith Richards

Definitely the 70s. With a nod to the late 60s.

The caveat is that we were in the Cold War. We were always scared to death the next minute might be our last. "To every season ...."

One of those "careful what you wish for moments". Now sucks. Technology and the info age hasn't been anything great. Think not? Try to find the truth on the internet. Try to find a person who isn't lying his/her ass off on the internet.

But each moment in time carried its own risks. 1870s? No antibiotics. 1950s? Polio. The height of the Cold War. Now? King Barry ignoring the Constitution and doing whatever he feels like. I'd trade "now" for Jimmy Carter. At least he was just a dumbass. I bet he's doing high fives with his wife and Amy. "Yes! I am no longer the worst President ever!" :laugh: