PDA

View Full Version : Judge orders California to pay for inmate's sex change

Jeff
04-03-2015, 07:58 AM
Seriously !!! Why in the hell should tax payers pay for this freaks surgery, he is a convicted murderer and shouldn't get anything but the bare necessities in jail and I am sure a sex change operation doesn't fall on the bare necessity list.

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – A federal judge on Thursday ordered California's corrections department to provide a transgender inmate with sex change surgery, the first time such an operation has been ordered in the state.
U.S. District Court Judge Jon Tigar in San Francisco ruled that denying sex reassignment surgery to 51-year-old Michelle-Lael Norsworthy violates her constitutional rights. Her birth name is Jeffrey Bryan Norsworthy.
The ruling marks just the second time nationwide that a judge has issued an injunction directing a state prison system to provide the surgery, said Ilona Turner, legal director at the Transgender Law Center in Oakland, which helped represent Norsworthy.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/04/03/judge-orders-california-to-pay-for-inmate-sex-change/?intcmp=latestnews

LongTermGuy
04-03-2015, 06:40 PM
Seriously !!! Why in the hell should tax payers pay for this freaks surgery, he is a convicted murderer and shouldn't get anything but the bare necessities in jail and I am sure a sex change operation doesn't fall on the bare necessity list.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/04/03/judge-orders-california-to-pay-for-inmate-sex-change/?intcmp=latestnews

`.......a pair of rusty bolt cutters and just get it done...tonight while the inmate is sleeping. Absolutely no nuts`.

jimnyc
04-03-2015, 06:48 PM
I wonder if they will foot the bill for a gay wedding, for 2 inmates? What if an inmate identifies as a female, will "she" get a special bathroom of her own? Pretty soon you will see little pigs living in prison, as inmates will state its mandatory for their disability.

WiccanLiberal
04-04-2015, 12:02 PM
The incarceration of an individual places a responsibility for their physical safety and well-being with the institution that holds them. This should include NECESSARY medical procedures. To my mind, gender reassignment surgery does not fall in that area. If an inmate is on hormone therapy for an eventual surgery, I don't think they should be deprived of whatever progress they have made so the hormones should be provided. The administration of the hormones merely maintains them in the physical condition they were in before their detention. The surgery should be on their dime, not the taxpayers.

DragonStryk72
04-05-2015, 06:39 PM
While I have no issue with people being transgendered, or wanting the reassignment surgery, this shouldn't be getting paid for by the taxpayers. It isn't necessary to their lives, and the entire point of prison is them losing rights, losing liberties for crimes committed. Giving them a free surgery that would be costly on the outside for them is basically a sort of reward.