PDA

View Full Version : Going Back

Perianne
04-10-2015, 06:00 PM
If you could go back in time and sit down and talk to someone who has passed on, who would you choose? And why?

(I am asking for someone who is not a Biblical figure and someone who is not family.)

WiccanLiberal
04-10-2015, 06:07 PM
Hmmm only one? Abigail Adams possibly for a woman's perspective on the American Revolution. Maybe V4R needs to resurrect his favorite game. Which 12 people would you invite to a dinner party?

hjmick
04-10-2015, 06:10 PM
Not family? Tough...

My dad, because 44 years was not enough to say and ask all that I wanted to say and needed to ask. If I had known he would be gone at the age of 67...

Perianne
04-10-2015, 06:26 PM
Hmmm only one? Abigail Adams possibly for a woman's perspective on the American Revolution. Maybe V4R needs to resurrect his favorite game. Which 12 people would you invite to a dinner party?

Who is V4R?

tailfins
04-10-2015, 07:02 PM
If you could go back in time and sit down and talk to someone who has passed on, who would you choose? And why?

(I am asking for someone who is not a Biblical figure and someone who is not family.)

I was so impressed with the re-enactment at Plimoth Plantation. The actors even make a good effort of imitating the way of speaking from the 1600s. I would have liked to have met the real 1620 Plymouth Puritan colonists.

http://www.plimoth.org/

http://www.history.com/topics/plymouth

http://www.discovernewengland.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Plimouth-Plantation.jpg

WiccanLiberal
04-10-2015, 07:21 PM
Who is V4R?
My honey whose full board name is Voted4Reagan

Gunny
04-10-2015, 07:43 PM

Well, I'm screwed. My grandfather was the greatest man I ever knew. If I could talk to him again just once .....

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
04-10-2015, 07:59 PM

Only my father would do... Id like to tell him how right he was on almost everything he warned me about!!!
And hug him for being a fantastic dad!!! --Tyr

LongTermGuy
04-10-2015, 08:16 PM
Nostradamus....sitting with him and having coffee..asking questions..

https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.607995966088285929&pid=15.1&P=0

Kathianne
04-10-2015, 11:41 PM
There's a few, but off the top of my head: Ben Franklin and Samuel Johnson.

red state
04-11-2015, 12:11 AM
Franklin for certain. Since he was in the printing business, one of the VERY FIRST American cartoonists of the political persuasion, we would have much to talk and laugh over. As a womanizer and intellect as well as having a social elite status.....not so much in common.

I'd have to say or HOPE that any one of our frontiersmen or explorers would make for a fantastic discussion and friendship. The likes of Kit Carson, Boone or Crockett or even Louis or Clark would have my utmost attention and, likewise, would hope that hunting tales of my own would be of interest to them......especially the great Americans from the past who were from Kentucky and Tennessee.

Politics would not be on my list of desirable conversation because I'd feel ashamed in who they were, what they accomplished as opposed to what America is today. Same could be said of my grandfather......whom I would have listed but it is against Perianne's rules. HA!!! He was a fantastic man, however and as a survivalist, outdoorsman, soldier and homesteader with the creativity and talent to invent and build something from nothing, he was a Franklin, Crockett, Carson and Clark all rolled up into one.

Jeff
04-11-2015, 07:45 AM

Well, I'm screwed. My grandfather was the greatest man I ever knew. If I could talk to him again just once .....

I have to agree with Gunny, as I read your post I thought immediately of my Grandfather ( Pop Pop ) He wasn't book smart but he seemed to know all the right answers and got along with everyone, I don't think I ever seen him get upset ( mad ) he just let things roll off his back, I would love to try and understand his great nature.

Gunny
04-11-2015, 09:27 AM
I have to agree with Gunny, as I read your post I thought immediately of my Grandfather ( Pop Pop ) He wasn't book smart but he seemed to know all the right answers and got along with everyone, I don't think I ever seen him get upset ( mad ) he just let things roll off his back, I would love to try and understand his great nature.

Always tried to be like mine. Always thought I fell short until my grandmother finally busted out some stories from his younger days. Apparently we had a lot more in common that I ever would have thought. :laugh:

He was still the wisest man I've ever known. All the "rigging" he did? As soon as I became an electrician I discovered where THAT came from.:laugh::laugh:

red state
04-12-2015, 03:55 AM

YOU GOT THAT RIGHT, JEFF and it seems that many of us here had SIMPLE yet GREAT men. My Grandfather never made it past the 3rd grade but he went FAR in life after making it on his own at age 13 and buying one of the first vehicles in North East Mississippi. He was a Sgt. in WWII (the Pacific Islands) and was a farmer and logger who raised SEVEN children and made sure that his community was fed and boys had a mentor for hunting and fishing.

I've posted these a good while ago but they speak volumes of how I (WE) feel about our simple grandfathers who did GREAT things (despite having little education or NONE to speak of. The soundbytes are on my dad's site so I apologize for ya'll having to go through that to listen.

ENJOY:

Heck, I couldn't find UNCLE VERSIE's BOND and Jim still has it to where you can't load your music or images straight from the comuter.
Maybe this will work instead: http://redge1945.wix.com/copy-of-gospel#!about3/cd04 HIT PLAY CUZ IT Aint on auto PLAY.

Owen Cooper http://redge1945.wix.com/gospel#!contact/c20x9 (THIS ONE DOES AUTO PLAY)

Jeff
04-12-2015, 07:08 AM
Always tried to be like mine. Always thought I fell short until my grandmother finally busted out some stories from his younger days. Apparently we had a lot more in common that I ever would have thought. :laugh:

He was still the wisest man I've ever known. All the "rigging" he did? As soon as I became an electrician I discovered where THAT came from.:laugh::laugh:

Gunny my Grandmother did the same, she use to tell me all the time how I was just like my Grandfather and I always thought it was in looks ( yes he was short and had the curse of the big nose, family trait there :laugh: ) but then she pulled out pictures one day and there was a tough looking guy with his hair all slicked back and a pack of smokes rolled up in his sleeve, and he was sitting on a old Indian. I asked my Grandfather about riding many times and he never came out and said he did or didn't, he did tell me once about a old Indian he had once but made it sound like it was a one summer thing. Seems Pop Pop had a wild side back in the day and best I can tell by the picture he was able to hold his own pretty dam well.

YOU GOT THAT RIGHT, JEFF and it seems that many of us here had SIMPLE yet GREAT men. My Grandfather never made it past the 3rd grade but he went FAR in life after making it on his own at age 13 and buying one of the first vehicles in North East Mississippi. He was a Sgt. in WWII (the Pacific Islands) and was a farmer and logger who raised SEVEN children and made sure that his community was fed and boys had a mentor for hunting and fishing.

I've posted these a good while ago but they speak volumes of how I (WE) feel about our simple grandfathers who did GREAT things (despite having little education or NONE to speak of. The soundbytes are on my dad's site so I apologize for ya'll having to go through that to listen.

ENJOY:

Heck, I couldn't find UNCLE VERSIE's BOND and Jim still has it to where you can't load your music or images straight from the comuter.
Maybe this will work instead: http://redge1945.wix.com/copy-of-gospel#!about3/cd04 HIT PLAY CUZ IT Aint on auto PLAY.

Owen Cooper http://redge1945.wix.com/gospel#!contact/c20x9 (THIS ONE DOES AUTO PLAY)

First off I love the song, man going back to that thing that just fixes everything, yes I do it all the time. I sometimes sit in the woods and let the Deer walk right on by ( of course if he is a biggin he is going down ) but a normal freezer deer can walk most nights, the woods are a sense of therapy for me as I see it is for others. :thumb:

Yes My Grandfather was one Hell of a man, but I think the reason I looked up to him so much was because my Dad did, I thank God I still have my Dad to talk to that is the reason my Grandfather came to mind as I read the question, but honestly I couldn't tell you which one I admirer and respect more. See my Grandfather was a orphan, he was put on a train and sent to Delaware to work on a farm ( those folks became his family ) so with little education he leaned on what he knew and that was hard work, my Dad on the other hand had some education but he was a hard worker as well, and they both provided for their family's like a man is suppose to do.

My Grandfather wasn't a hunter his thing was fishing, he wound up owning a house on the water in NJ and would fish everyday, but very rarely did he bring fish home, see as he would ride back to his dock and on the way he would pass many houses with folks standing in the yard and they would gesture as to how he did that morning and he would have to stop and talk :laugh: and before the conversation was over he would hand off some if not all the fish he had just caught, see my Grandfather never stopped taking care of others, it was what made him tick, heck the day he had the major heart attack that took him he was at the Old Guard ( some retiree club down by his house ) setting up chairs and getting ready for the meeting, seems he never stayed for the meeting ( he didn't feel well enough ) but he made sure they where ready.