PDA

View Full Version : Boycotting

Perianne
04-13-2015, 05:12 AM
Are there companies you won't buy from because of their political/social stances?

Jeff
04-13-2015, 06:24 AM
I have had a few over the years, one was Walmart, Rosie O Donnel who is against guns was there spokesman and yet they where selling guns and making money.

Another was Target, they where screwing over the troops that where called to active duty, but I must admit since I have heard they have done good by our troops ( not real sure about the truth of that ) But honestly I will believe any story that makes it easy for me to tell the Ol Lady I won't go in the store, I hate shopping and if I have to do it I walk in get what I need and leave, usually not before repeating quite loudly "Trash White" or "Trash Black " or the infamous " God dang you are just plan trash" yes these stores are filled with the dreges of society and they walk around with their asses hanging out, or ya see a 200lb woman with a pair of Daisy Dukes and a tank top on, I usually have to ask if she will be using that shirt for a tent later, yes if I can't talk the wife out of me going in one way or another I just embarrass her and then I am off the hook for a while. :laugh:

tailfins
04-13-2015, 06:52 AM
Sonic and Gillette for starters.

Noir
04-13-2015, 08:34 AM
Very many, when possible always shop cruelty free, and local. However, in a world of multinational corporations, sometimes there are no right choices to make.

Bilgerat
04-13-2015, 08:49 AM
http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7109&stc=1

jimnyc
04-13-2015, 08:59 AM
Starbucks. I hate that yuppie liberal filled crappy overpriced coffee shithole.

darin
04-13-2015, 11:29 AM
Any company that threatened to boycott anything in/around Indiana. Any corporation supporting tyranny vs liberty (so, any company giving money to ANY democrat and most republicans).

Abbey Marie
04-13-2015, 11:38 AM
Not that I would have joined anyway, but after they cancelled this woman's membership, I would never consider it:

http://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw/index.ssf/2015/03/transgender_members_welcome_in.html

LongTermGuy
04-13-2015, 06:42 PM

`Oh...how true that is....

Perianne
06-28-2015, 12:48 PM
I already boycotted Homo Depot and Burger King. Now I have added Wal-Mart, Amazon, and Apple.

tailfins
06-28-2015, 12:54 PM

One of the very few things I miss from up North is Tim Horton's.

Noir
06-28-2015, 12:55 PM
I already boycotted Homo Depot and Burger King. Now I have added Wal-Mart, Amazon, and Apple.

Out of interest, why were the last 3 added?

NightTrain
06-28-2015, 01:03 PM
Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream. Bunch of liberal pukes.

However, my wife loves that stuff and she does what she wants.

Drummond
06-28-2015, 01:11 PM
It's been a while since I've actively considered it, to be honest ...

France overly being supportive of Saddam was an issue for me. I made sure I stopped buying French produce.

Starbucks is an interesting one. Over here, we've no conscious understanding of them being 'liberal'. Overpriced, maybe. No ... they were involved in a scandal over their UK tax avoidance, which they were guilty of in a major way, and were publicly castigated over it. I rarely buy from them. We do have a 'Caffe Nero' chain instead, which I always visit when I'm in London (I first mistakenly read their logo as 'Caffe Nerd', & liked it ...).

Strangely enough, I agree with Noir. I'd be inclined to avoid companies that weren't 'cruelty free' conscious. Having said that ... I'm not diligent in my efforts, I'm afraid (sorry, Noir).

Drummond
06-28-2015, 01:19 PM

Amazon's interesting.

I only ever, once, bought from Amazon, years ago. My not buying from them now isn't a boycott, just sheer normality for me ..

Having said that, maybe I'd have reason to. Amazon were 'outed' in one of our documentary studies as being slavedrivers. The TV channel involved managed to arrange the release of footage showing how their warehouse staff fared. It was horrendous.

Amazon 'upped' their turnaround promise to the UK-buying public. They made little effort (though they did make a token effort) to accommodate the extra workload in their premises - the emphasis was in demanding that their people worked even harder.

Perianne, is this the sort of thing you had in mind ?

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-25034598

A BBC investigation into a UK-based Amazon warehouse has found conditions that a stress expert said could cause "mental and physical illness".

Prof Michael Marmot was shown secret filming of night shifts involving up to 11 miles of walking - where an undercover worker was expected to collect orders every 33 seconds. It comes as the company employs 15,000 extra staff to cater for Christmas.

Amazon said in a statement worker safety was its "number one priority".

Undercover reporter Adam Littler, 23, got an agency job at Amazon's Swansea warehouse. He took a hidden camera inside for BBC Panorama to record what happened on his shifts. He was employed as a "picker", collecting orders from 800,000 sq ft of storage.

A handset told him what to collect and put on his trolley. It allotted him a set number of seconds to find each product and counted down. If he made a mistake the scanner beeped. "We are machines, we are robots, we plug our scanner in, we're holding it, but we might as well be plugging it into ourselves", he said.

"We don't think for ourselves, maybe they don't trust us to think for ourselves as human beings, I don't know."

Prof Marmot, one of Britain's leading experts on stress at work, said the working conditions at the warehouse are "all the bad stuff at once". He said: "The characteristics of this type of job, the evidence shows increased risk of mental illness and physical illness."

"There are always going to be menial jobs, but we can make them better or worse. And it seems to me the demands of efficiency at the cost of individual's health and wellbeing - it's got to be balanced."

Amazon said official safety inspections had not raised any concerns and that an independent expert appointed by the company advised that the picking job is "similar to jobs in many other industries and does not increase the risk of mental and physical illness".

The scanner tracked Mr Littler's picking rate and sent his performance to managers. If it was too low, he was told he could face disciplinary action.

When Mr Littler worked night shifts his pay rose from the daily rate of £6.50 per hour to £8.25 per hour.

After experiencing a ten-and-a-half-hour night shift, he said: "I managed to walk or hobble nearly 11 miles, just short of 11 miles last night. I'm absolutely shattered. My feet are the thing that are bothering me the most to be honest."

Amazon said new recruits are warned some positions are physically demanding and that some workers seek these positions as they enjoy the active nature of the work. The company said productivity targets are set objectively, based on previous performance levels achieved by the workforce.

Those on the night shift work a four-day week with an hour's break per shift.

Experts have told Panorama these ten-and-a-half-hour night shifts could breach the working time regulations because of the long hours and the strenuous nature of the work. Barrister Giles Bedloe said: "If the work involves heavy physical and, or, mental strain then that night worker should not work more than eight hours in any 24-hour period.

But Amazon said its night shift is lawful. They said they sought expert advice to ensure the shifts "comply with all relevant legal requirements".

Perianne
06-28-2015, 01:28 PM
One of the very few things I miss from up North is Tim Horton's.

Tim Horton's what?

Perianne
06-28-2015, 01:30 PM

Out of interest, why were the last 3 added?

They all took ridiculous stances against the Confederate flag.

Perianne
06-28-2015, 01:40 PM
Amazon's interesting.

I only ever, once, bought from Amazon, years ago. My not buying from them now isn't a boycott, just sheer normality for me ..

Having said that, maybe I'd have reason to. Amazon were 'outed' in one of our documentary studies as being slavedrivers. The TV channel involved managed to arrange the release of footage showing how their warehouse staff fared. It was horrendous.

Amazon 'upped' their turnaround promise to the UK-buying public. They made little effort (though they did make a token effort) to accommodate the extra workload in their premises - the emphasis was in demanding that their people worked even harder.

Perianne, is this the sort of thing you had in mind ?

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-25034598

I have ordered products from Amazon, starting in 1998, 192 times.... several thousands of dollars. But hey, if they would rather pander to the wussy crowd, I will buy stuff from someone else.

red state
06-28-2015, 01:46 PM
They all took ridiculous stances against the Confederate flag.

I could swear that Walmart (mine anyway) still sold DUCK DYNASTY stuff (some with a confederate theme). If I'm correct in this, I suppose their "STANCE" will kick in only after they've sold the shirts and stuff. HA!!!! funny how greed trumps "LOSS". I FULLY agree with your "HOMO-DEPOT" bit. I've not been in there for over 10 years!!! They can do what they want and so can I BUT I'll not support them when they blatantly punish free speech and dishonor those with sons/daughters serving the BEST military in the world. Look it up....

Yeah, HOMO-Depot suits them to a "T".

tailfins
06-28-2015, 02:02 PM
Tim Horton's what?

They make Starbucks look like a bus station kiosk. They have some stores in US border states. I'm particularly impressed how they maintain quality at stores seemingly in the middle of nowhere.

http://www.vincedelmontefitness.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/timhortondonuts.jpg

http://www.torontopearson.com/uploadedImages/Pearson/Content/ToDo_at_Pearson/TimHortonsT3DepartC26%20-%20large.jpg

http://www.matchstick.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/timhortons1.jpg

Perianne
06-29-2015, 02:34 PM
Does anyone know the best way to communicate with a company whose business practices/decisions you disagree with?

fj1200
06-29-2015, 02:40 PM
Does anyone know the best way to communicate with a company whose business practices/decisions you disagree with?

I'm sure that their customer relations or investor relations area doesn't give a rat's behind. They may however have a pat answer for you and promise to make your feelings know to their higher ups. :)

Perianne
06-29-2015, 02:52 PM
I'm sure that their customer relations or investor relations area doesn't give a rat's behind. They may however have a pat answer for you and promise to make your feelings know to their higher ups. :)

Maybe not, but all I can do is try.

I sent this feedback in response.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7410&stc=1

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7411&stc=1

Perianne
06-29-2015, 02:57 PM
I found a (maybe) replacement for Amazon. Dhgate.com.

Later edit: Dhgate appears to be a Chinese company.

Perianne
06-29-2015, 03:00 PM

I have already received a response from Amazon:

<tbody>

<tbody>
Hello,

We appreciate your feedback and have forwarded it to the correct team internally.

We hope to see you again soon.

</tbody>

<tbody>

Best regards,
Ethel P.

How did you know, fj?

</tbody>

<tbody>

</tbody>

</tbody>

gabosaurus
06-29-2015, 03:04 PM
Exxon and BP.
I would boycott Starbucks, but I don't drink coffee.

fj1200
06-29-2015, 03:04 PM
I have already received a response from Amazon:

How did you know, fj?

:laugh: That was fast. A few years of not caring what people on the phone were complaining about. :eek:

Perianne
06-29-2015, 03:08 PM
:laugh: That was fast. A few years of not caring what people on the phone were complaining about. :eek:

I wonder if enough people do what I did, will they ever start to care? Or will ideology override business sense?

hjmick
06-29-2015, 03:22 PM
Amazon because of this:

ROUND POND, Me. — Out here in the woods, at the end of not one but two dirt roads, in a shack equipped with a picture of the Dalai Lama, a high-speed data line and a copy of Thoreau’s “Civil Disobedience,” Amazon’s dream of dominating the publishing world has run into some trouble.

Douglas Preston, who summers in this coastal hamlet, is a best-selling writer — or was, until Amazon decided to discourage readers from buying books from his publisher, Hachette, as a way of pressuring it into giving Amazon a better deal on e-books. So he wrote an open letter to his readers asking them to contact Jeff Bezos, Amazon’s chief executive, demanding that Amazon stop using writers as hostages in its negotiations.

The letter, composed in the shack, spread through the literary community. As of earlier this week 909 writers had signed on, including household names like John Grisham and Stephen King. It is scheduled to run as a full-page ad in The New York Times this Sunday. (http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/08/business/media/plot-thickens-as-900-writers-battle-amazon.html?_r=0)

And Dr. Pepper Snapple Group because of this:

...The death of sugar-sweetened Dublin Dr Pepper has set off a protest — nay, a movement — bewailing the end of a Texas tradition.

On Thursday, in stores and restaurants across the state, on Facebook and Twitter, and in the small Central Texas town about 80 miles southwest of Fort Worth, it was easier to find unhappy Dr Pepper fans than a bottle of their favored beverage.

The day before, Dr Pepper Snapple Group and Dr Pepper Bottling Co. of Dublin had announced the end of a licensing agreement first signed in 1891. The protesters’ complaints sounded like a caffeine-fueled version of the Occupy demonstrations: A big company was acting like a bunch of soda jerks, crushing a small town’s business and its identity...

The legal issues seemed more on the side of Goliath. Plano-based Dr Pepper Snapple wanted the Dublin bottler to stop adding “Dublin” to the official Dr Pepper logo and stop selling the Dublin-emblazoned soda outside its designated six-county territory. Lawyers for the two sides disagreed about the particulars for more than six months. On Wednesday, Dr Pepper Snapple agreed to pay an undisclosed amount for the license to make the soda, immediately ending the production of Dublin Dr Pepper. The bottler changed its name to Dublin Bottling Works.

Fans of the taste of the sugar-only soda won’t be left in the lurch, said Dr Pepper spokesman Chris Barnes. A bottler in Temple produces enough of the exact same formula to ensure a supply for any store that was selling the Dublin version, he said.

Despite the legal wrangling, much of the tale of Dublin Dr Pepper is not in dispute. The original drink was born in Waco in 1885, created by pharmacist Charles Alderton. By 1891, a bottler named Sam Houston Prim was selling the stuff from his plant in Dublin... (http://www.dallasnews.com/news/state/headlines/20120113-dublin-dr-peppers-fans-fuming-after-legal-dispute-fizzles-a-texas-tradition.ece)

gabosaurus
06-29-2015, 03:24 PM
My daughter wrote a letter to the chairman of Exxon to complain about the Santa Barbara oil spill. Not an e-mail, an actual letter.
She got back a form letter, but it was on topic and signed by a real person. Which means someone took time to read it.
Perhaps your voice does matter sometimes.

fj1200
06-29-2015, 04:08 PM
I wonder if enough people do what I did, will they ever start to care? Or will ideology override business sense?

I'm sure that they have some predictions of what the response will be and are tracking the metrics of responses like yours. You also need to factor the business sense on the other side of what they did.

jimnyc
06-29-2015, 04:14 PM
Forgot to mention I have also boycotted Ford. At least until I can afford a new Mustang GT500 Super Snake...

But a salesman tried to rip me off once. Yeah, I know, I know. But he was slick, and luckily my wife caught his crap in the initial contract before I signed and returned the next day. He basically laughed when I pointed it out. I went to the dealership manager who was like "So, what do you want ME to do about it" type of attitude". I also contacted Ford regional customer service and didn't get jack shit from them (no response). They were already on my shit list prior to this.

hjmick
06-29-2015, 04:17 PM
Forgot to mention I have also boycotted Ford. At least until I can afford a new Mustang GT500 Super Snake...

But a salesman tried to rip me off once. Yeah, I know, I know. But he was slick, and luckily my wife caught his crap in the initial contract before I signed and returned the next day. He basically laughed when I pointed it out. I went to the dealership manager who was like "So, what do you want ME to do about it" type of attitude". I also contacted Ford regional customer service and didn't get jack shit from them (no response). They were already on my shit list prior to this.

Ford is the only domestic auto maker I would consider buying at this point.

They others took our money as a loan and, unless I'm mistaken, we lost money on that deal...

jimnyc
06-29-2015, 04:19 PM
Ford is the only domestic auto maker I would consider buying at this point.

They others took our money as a loan and, unless I'm mistaken, we lost money on that deal...

I think they all screw you one way or another. But shit, at least be honest about it. Just say "We increased the price by $2k so that we get a commission, and your APR is such that you'll end up paying 2x the value of this vehicle".

Perianne
06-29-2015, 04:33 PM
As for auto makers, Chevrolet and Nissan are on my no-buy list because of faulty engine (Chevrolet) and faulty transmission (Nissan) the companies knew about and refused to correct.

I remember sending Chevrolet a letter warning them that they would lose customers like me one at a time. This was in the mid-80s. How my prediction came true! At the time GM was the king of automakers. I was somewhat pleased to see them humbled. Little did I know that my tax dollars would bail them out for having crappy autos.

Perianne
06-30-2015, 06:05 PM
More products available from Amazon.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7414&stc=1

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-30-2015, 07:06 PM
Are there companies you won't buy from because of their political/social stances?

YES, far too many to list here.
Also I'd never be a customer of any muslim owned business!
Why would I help advanced them and their insane cause?
They are the truest monsters on this planet!! A fact...--Tyr

Balu
06-30-2015, 08:15 PM
YES, far too many to list here.
Also I'd never be a customer of any muslim owned business!
Why would I help advanced them and their insane cause?
They are the truest monsters on this planet!! A fact...--Tyr
Now I am sitting and wondering about how this may be commented?
Not so long ago Iraq and Libya were relatively quiet counties. Everything is relative in our imperfect World.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM0uvgHKZe8

LongTermGuy
06-30-2015, 08:21 PM
Now I am sitting and wondering about how this may be commented?
Not so long ago Iraq and Libya were relatively quiet counties. Everything is relative in our imperfect World.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM0uvgHKZe8

Originally Posted by anti-Israel pro muslim terrorists fanatic who works hard on hiding.

91177info (https://www.youtube.com/user/91177info)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZKaONphUeqGTBjlsqYfP1A

Balu
06-30-2015, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by anti-Israel pro muslim terrorists fanatic who works hard on hiding.

91177info (https://www.youtube.com/user/91177info)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZKaONphUeqGTBjlsqYfP1A

I gave the direct speech of your American State Secretary of Jewish origin. http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/dntknw.gif
Now you made me wondering what happened to the washing powder from that vial and when Americans found that chemical weapons which were the reason for their intervention into Iraq?

http://images.usatoday.com/news/_photos/2005/09/02/iraq-powell.jpg